Anybody using Oculus Rift?

• Thread starter Stephan
  • 53 comments

Should you use Oculus for optimal racing experience?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stephan

Still progressing........
Premium
Philippines
Manila
Filracer
I own a Oculus Rift and I found out that Assetto Corsa is complatible to use with Oculus Rift. So does anybody use Oculus?
If someone dosent believe me, heres a vid playing Assetto Corsa using Oculus Rift

Wow I didn't knew that, how much does it cost? :D

Found another video using Oculuc Rift:

This is very cool!

Last edited:
I own a Oculus Rift and I found out that Assetto Corsa is complatible to use with Oculus Rift.
What is the resolution on your Oculus Rift? I've seen that the early one's are very low, like 480x600 but the final one will have 1080x1920. I can see from their website (https://www.oculusvr.com/order/) that you can order them but is that the 1080p version or another? And if it is the lower resolution, can you upgrade to 1080p or do you need to a new one?

I want one, but i'm gonna wait for the production version. I almost pulled the trigger on a dev kit, but the low resolution put me off. Needless to say i will have the final version regardless of cost. They look so awesome.

What is the resolution on your Oculus Rift? I've seen that the early one's are very low, like 480x600 but the final one will have 1080x1920. I can see from their website (https://www.oculusvr.com/order/) that you can order them but is that the 1080p version or another? And if it is the lower resolution, can you upgrade to 1080p or do you need to a new one?
Im using the version that Pewdiepie uses.

There is currently only one version. Its resolution is 1280x800. In my opinion, it isn't high enough to use full time. You can easily see individual pixels and can even see individual colour elements in each pixel. If I remember correctly a car around 1s ahead of you is about 15 pixels wide. At two seconds around 7 pixels. When the resolution reaches an acceptable level and drift issues are fixed, the rift will be awesome for racing.

The Oculus Rift really does look superb. I'm keeping my eye on this and will probably buy the full retail version when it's released.

I think the next stage of my rig development is either 3 monitor's or an Oculus Rift. The later looks more tempting though as you have the freedom to look around, that will add so much more to realism. Really cant wait to get the ball rolling with online and Oculus Rift. :D

There is currently only one version. Its resolution is 1280x800. In my opinion, it isn't high enough to use full time. You can easily see individual pixels and can even see individual colour elements in each pixel. If I remember correctly a car around 1s ahead of you is about 15 pixels wide. At two seconds around 7 pixels. When the resolution reaches an acceptable level and drift issues are fixed, the rift will be awesome for racing.
You don't answer the question, do you own one? Have you tried it personally?

So how is it now? Have they finally fixed the issues so it's up to par with iracing's implementation? I ordered the DK2 kit, so I'm hoping they've got things dialed in by at least July (although obviously there might be some hicups with the new kit that need sorting).

So how is it now? Have they finally fixed the issues so it's up to par with iracing's implementation? I ordered the DK2 kit, so I'm hoping they've got things dialed in by at least July (although obviously there might be some hicups with the new kit that need sorting).

By July, I have no doubt that the OR experience in AC will be on par with everybody else and most likely, like with all other aspect of AC, better, as Kunos is constantly raising the bar on what to expect from a SIM.

If I had ordered a DK2, I would be more worried about the evolution of the Oculus Rift in light of the recent acquisition of the company by FB. AC will be ready.

In any case, July is in more than 3 month, who knows what other options will also be available or proposed then.

I'm so scared to put this thing on my head so close to my eyes, it looks like it might explode in any second and destroy my eyesight or something.

By July, I have no doubt that the OR experience in AC will be on par with everybody else and most likely, like with all other aspect of AC, better, as Kunos is constantly raising the bar on what to expect from a SIM.

If I had ordered a DK2, I would be more worried about the evolution of the Oculus Rift in light of the recent acquisition of the company by FB. AC will be ready.

In any case, July is in more than 3 month, who knows what other options will also be available or proposed then.

Good to know. And I'm not worried about Facebook (although I do detest social media in principal). The fact they added Michael Abrash yesterday just reinforced to me that they have no desires to meddle and this acquisition is going to give Oculus the needed capital to make a mind bending consumer version.

I'm not expecting anything better to be shown/announced by July, because, to be be honest, Abrash and Carmack are the two guys who have been consistently solving the hard VR problems. I've yet to see anyone show a low persistence VR solution and don't expect to. Abrash and Carmack seem to have spent considerable time on this. I guess a practical reason most won't do it is because strobing at 60hz would induce massive headaches. I even worry about 75hz being too low, but Lucky was always promising at least 90hz for the consumer version. And Carmack tweeted today about something he's working on and then lamenting it probably won't even be an issue that needs solving at 120hz. So hopefully they're aiming for triple digits on the consumer refresh rate.

I'm so scared to put this thing on my head so close to my eyes, it looks like it might explode in any second and destroy my eyesight or something.

I'm also worried that it could have some sort of eye sight consequences. The way I see it, I have 3 options if I want to upgrade.

1. 3 monitor setup.

2. A projector setup with an IR sensor

3. Oculus Rift.

A friend of mine got himself a projector because he wanted less strain on his eyes as he plays for hours at a time so i'm thinking to do the same, but the OC looks so tempting. If there is absolutely no side effect for using OC then it will most likely be my number one choice.

I ordered my DK2 as soon as I heard they were taking preorders (about 1h30min after they went on sale). I'm skeptical that 1080p will be enough but I'll try it out when my DK2 arrives.

I'm also worried that it could have some sort of eye sight consequences. The way I see it, I have 3 options if I want to upgrade.

1. 3 monitor setup.

2. A projector setup with an IR sensor

3. Oculus Rift.

A friend of mine got himself a projector because he wanted less strain on his eyes as he plays for hours at a time so i'm thinking to do the same, but the OC looks so tempting. If there is absolutely no side effect for using OC then it will most likely be my number one choice.

It remains to be seen if 75hz persistence will induce any headaches. It may be too low and maybe long term usage will be better at a sample and hold 60hz (which is an option with DK2).

The reason a projector is less straining than a monitor is because your eyes are relaxed and viewing at a distance with a projector. Whereas with a monitor, you have to strain since it's up close. The Rift is like the projector in this sense. Your eyes won't be straining to focus up close. Because of the lenses, you're eyes are actually relaxed and focused into the distance with VR. So it should be better.

Although as I said, until I've actually gotten my DK2, I'm gonna be a little worried about how practical the 75hz low persistence mode is for actual game play (as opposed to being great for dev testing or short demonstations).

It remains to be seen if 75hz persistence will induce any headaches. It may be too low and maybe long term usage will be better at a sample and hold 60hz (which is an option with DK2).

The reason a projector is less straining than a monitor is because your eyes are relaxed and viewing at a distance with a projector. Whereas with a monitor, you have to strain since it's up close. The Rift is like the projector in this sense. Your eyes won't be straining to focus up close. Because of the lenses, you're eyes are actually relaxed and focused into the distance with VR. So it should be better.

Although as I said, until I've actually gotten my DK2, I'm gonna be a little worried about how practical the 75hz low persistence mode is for actual game play (as opposed to being great for dev testing or short demonstations).

Thanks for your input on this and I will deffinetly be interested to hear what you have to say after testing the DK2.

To be honest first I saw this I was thinking how stupid it looks (especially for other people outside the rift) but I can't wait to try this out one day. If the sony one will be about 200 bucks I'll get one.

Really hoping AC is going to support DK2 ASAP. AC already looks amazing in 3D. If its any better with DK2, I'll be in Heaven.

The eye level in the cockpit seems to be too high though.
That and also kind of what I was afraid of from the beginning. You can see how he stumbles around trying to get his hands back to the wheel correctly. He bumps it and double grabs at it several times to get his hands back to where he wants them. While I think the emersion will be great, the practical use if it seems a bit limiting.

That and also kind of what I was afraid of from the beginning. You can see how he stumbles around trying to get his hands back to the wheel correctly. He bumps it and double grabs at it several times to get his hands back to where he wants them. While I think the emersion will be great, the practical use if it seems a bit limiting.

That's a good point. But I think positioning the hands and grabbing the wheel properly should become less of an issue after spending more time with it.

Back