Anybody using Oculus Rift?

• Thread starter Stephan
  • 53 comments

Should you use Oculus for optimal racing experience?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jelly about anyone who got in the first wave. I was on vacation at the time. I tried around 8am PST, but the link I was using was complete garbage. Then forgot about it until I came back from an activity (well, I didn't forget about it so much as thought it wasn't actually live yet). Got my order in at a little over 12:00 PM PST, so hopefully I'm in the second wave and the second wave isn't too far off.

Last edited:
Ordered mine around 7-9 days after. Hopefully games/software is at least better updated for it once I don the headgear and never look back. :D.

Was charged last night. So I'm in the processing stage. Maybe it'll ship out today:)

Will definitely post impressions. I'll be honest, I'd talked myself into the idea that missing the first batch was a good idea. Now I'm super excited again, but have to wait on developers to release updates to really take advantage of the tracking upgrades.

/\

Absolutely it's worth waiting. There's a good chance the CV1 will have a curved resolution. And right now you're wasting a ton of resolution. So if they could use a 1440p curved OLED and effectively quadruple the resolution, it would make the visuals no longer be an issue.

Plus, they'll hopefully address the major comfort issues. If you're in a cold climate and play in a garage/basement, it's not really an issue. But even with the house at 78 degrees, my lens get all sweaty and foggy unless I have a fan blowing into my face and forcing air into the thing.

There's a lot of overaggeration in youtube videos because it gets attention and draws you views.

VR is definitely the future, but don't let anyone sell you on it being perfect right now. DK2 is a good developer kit. As a consumer device, it simply offers a glimpse of how VR is the future once the basic issues are addressed better.

I mean, you can live with the shortcomings if you're dedicated enough. But make no mistake, there are some serious shortcomings at the moment.

/\

Absolutely it's worth waiting. There's a good chance the CV1 will have a curved resolution. And right now you're wasting a ton of resolution. So if they could use a 1440p curved OLED and effectively quadruple the resolution, it would make the visuals no longer be an issue.

Plus, they'll hopefully address the major comfort issues. If you're in a cold climate and play in a garage/basement, it's not really an issue. But even with the house at 78 degrees, my lens get all sweaty and foggy unless I have a fan blowing into my face and forcing air into the thing.

There's a lot of overaggeration in youtube videos because it gets attention and draws you views.

VR is definitely the future, but don't let anyone sell you on it being perfect right now. DK2 is a good developer kit. As a consumer device, it simply offers a glimpse of how VR is the future once the basic issues are addressed better.

I mean, you can live with the shortcomings if you're dedicated enough. But make no mistake, there are some serious shortcomings at the moment.

But with 1440p you need a hell of a graphics card to get +60FPS. I think this is just the beginning, where people will look back in 5-10 years and will laugh at how the OC looks at the moment. Just as we look back to stuff and laugh about it.

I cant wait to get my hands on a VR set. If Sony make the Morpheus PC compatible, I think I get one of that.

So despite some difficulties with the cords (I maintain there's too many, and they're too short... especially considering you must sit five feet from the camera and then have the cords wrap back around to the computer), and issues with fogging (I've taken care of the fogging by using the t-shirt mod that's on Youtube), the latest version of LFS has completely sold me on this. I'm a much better driver and more consistent. I'm now able to use the entire track by just looking into the upcoming turns and letting my brain react the way it's been trained to in real life. VR or bust from now on when it comes to sim racing for me.

DK2 is not a consumer product. And its uses are extremely limited right now. But sim racing is what it excels at and it's good enough at this point to be able to recommend DK2 for sim racing.

AC is releasing all these great track mods at the moment, but I feel like I'm just going to put it on hold until they get VR support patched back in.

Oh, yeah. It's still not ideal the way it's made primary, but they've fixed that as best they can given the current system.
The actual racing is now my new benchmark for VR. I always thought the X-Bow was a bit of a mutt in the looks department, but I raced that thing on Trento Bondone and was stunned by its beauty. I was craning my head all over the place examining the cockpit of that thing. And then to see the life-size shocks through the hood as you raced, just an exquisite automobile.
DK2 is still rough around the edges and doesn't make the greatest first impression, but if you give it time and adapt to it, it's an experience that completely sells you. There's no going back for me. I can't even imagine how much CV1 is going to blow my mind, because I'm already reeled in with DK2.
Answering here since this is the more appropriate forum.

Do you know if there are more DKs coming before the actual CV1, or is DK2 the last one? Did you watch the first impressions of the Crescent Bay? That seems like a step up from the DK2. I have to admit I started itching for one. :)

I always race from the bumper or hood view (with one monitor) as I don't really like the lesser sense of speed in the cocpit view. Have you tried racing with any of those two views with the DK2, or is it too weird? How is the sense of speed in the cockpit view with the DK2? Do you feel the speed much better than on a triple or single screen setup?

Sorry for the fountain of questions. :)

1.) CB is definitely a massive step up. Double the resolution. Better optics. Refresh rate of 90 vs 75. Personally, I don't buy the spring beta rumor. I think it was some site trolling for hits. Production runs are difficult and, personally, I think it makes zero sense. I'm personally hoping for Q4 as best case scenario. If it's sooner, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not expecting it. Hope I'm wrong.

2.) You can't race bumper or hood view. Not unless you're superman. Going that fast will make you sick instantly. The brain accepts going fast in the Rift as long as it has the comforting reference point of a cockpit. Then it relaxes, accepts things, and doesn't trigger the panic alarm.

3.) I think speed is basically a reflection of FOV. I'm going to have to spend more time to see how great it is in some of the really fast cars (which I didn't really try yet), but it's a bigger FOV than my single monitor. So it's definitely better than that. Most of my DK2 racing time has been spent with LFS. And the MK5 in particular. That thing was a gloried go-kart and I suspect I would have hated its sense of speed on a monitor. With the DK2 it had a very good sense of speed.

Oh, I'm not sure if it was sense of speed, but when I was taking the Cobra down one of the hills at "The Ring", I involuntarily blurted out, "Holy s***". So it was good enough to make me question the sanity of going that fast.

/\

Agreed, at least your honest.

Agreed, at least your honest.

I've amended my feelings quite a bit. DK2 is good enough for sims. It's got issues in the resolution department, but monitors absolutely suck in the immersion department (even 3D Vision). So if I'm going to call out shortcomings, it's fair to call out each ones.

I would have sold mine in the first week too if I hadn't had a Russian d-bag completely torpedo my Ebay auction and make me sour on eBay forever. Thankfully LFS was released and hooked me before I considered other options.

The sweating element was from nausea. I didn't realize this in early days. Lousy demos/VR will make a person's head sweat fairly quickly (within a couple minutes for me). That's something that's a complete non-issue for me with racing (or decent VR demos/games in general). I now consider it my early warning system. If something makes my forehead start to sweat... Good-bye!

I've amended my feelings quite a bit. DK2 is good enough for sims. It's got issues in the resolution department, but monitors absolutely suck in the immersion department (even 3D Vision). So if I'm going to call out shortcomings, it's fair to call out each ones.

I would have sold mine in the first week too if I hadn't had a Russian d-bag completely torpedo my Ebay auction and make me sour on eBay forever. Thankfully LFS was released and hooked me before I considered other options.

The sweating element was from nausea. I didn't realize this in early days. Lousy demos/VR will make a person's head sweat fairly quickly (within a couple minutes for me). That's something that's a complete non-issue for me with racing (or decent VR demos/games in general). I now consider it my early warning system. If something makes my forehead start to sweat... Good-bye!

Its weird, it seems like Russian's are buying up all of the DK2's. That's where mine went and I noticed almost all of the bids on mine were from Russia. I agree with the rest of what you said about the nausea and sweating. I noticed my whole head would start to feel hot like I was running a fever, but soon after taking off the DK2 it would go away. My biggest issue was the resolution and type of display used, the screen door effect was just too much for me to deal with and the uncomfort of having the cables run across the top of my head. I think if they can make the next version lighter, higher resolution and no screen door effect, and have the cables run from the sides instead of over the top and down your back, I would be much happier. I also had tons of issue with the software and getting it work without spending enormous amounts of time fiddling with it but I'm sure that will improve over time.

Assetto is pretty amazing with the dk2 :) its nice just being able to look around and have your head movement and position tracked so well. I can't smile too much or it pushes my eyes slightly out of position. Hopefully the retail is more adjustable for different faces/eyes

I give up. Somewhere along the line, one of the updates made it so that after 5 or 10 minutes, I start getting pop, stutter. I've done every single thing you can possibly imagine (including trying some of the so-called registry edit fixes. Game is flat out broken for me in VR. It's the best VR racing out there, but I'm on a timer before it turns to white hot trash with the *pop* stutter.

I give up. Somewhere along the line, one of the updates made it so that after 5 or 10 minutes, I start getting pop, stutter. I've done every single thing you can possibly imagine (including trying some of the so-called registry edit fixes. Game is flat out broken for me in VR. It's the best VR racing out there, but I'm on a timer before it turns to white hot trash with the *pop* stutter.
Hey mate,

While Assetto Corsa is awesome in the rift. For genuine ease of use and pure awesomeness, you cant go past iRacing. I used to swear black and blue that Assetto was the one to beat in the rift, but trying iRacing made me rethink my decision.

I hate the fact that you have alt+F4 to get out of the race and that none of the in-game apps are usable anymore in the rift. Add that to the fact that its a bit of a pain in the butt to get working well.

iRacing though, just works, and works damn perfectly.

Just my 2 cents though

Hey everyone, just in case you are experiencing problems with your Oculus Rift after the update today, JmonAC who is on the official AC forums posted these fixes there for the bugs that have plagued OR implementation post update:

Fix for game not displaying:

In Options/Effects just keep Post Processing on but select None as the Effect Preset.

Fix for the problem of game dropping out after one lap:

Go to Steam\steamapps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg

Find file called vr

open in notepad

Change
[DEMO]
IS_DEMO_MODE=1

to

[DEMO]
IS_DEMO_MODE=0

Wonder why the Rift gets so little love from Kunos? I was and am very grateful for the implementation we had. Why they failed to mention these "errors/bugs'' in the 1.0 release notes escapes me. It would have been a nice bit of customer care to at least mention them. I mean, unless you have your PC disconnected from the inter webs, you are more or less forced to update. I know you can change that in the settings, but an update or final release usually implies improvements and new content. Unfortunately as far as the OR is concerned it went the opposite way.

Cheers, AussieStig

Just a note to share my VR experience with AC.
I bought a second hand DK2 in the summer, all I could use it with, at the beginning, because of my previous rig with Window7 32bit was an older version of LFS and runtime 06. Still even just with LFS it was a game changer to me and the resolution is not an issue for me.
To be in the car, on the track, fighting for position in 3D, looking where I want to see makes using a SIM on a flat screen(s) too restricted to be enjoyed fully anymore.
There is no way back. VR is amazing. Period.
Now I have put together a rig that will be able to handle CV1 when I change my GPU, but for now, driving in AC with my DK2 using my present R9 270x is a beautiful experience, very addictive, for the first time I feel like I am really in those cars and enjoy all the details Kunos has put into the cockpit view of the véhicule in this SIM. You have driven an open wheel formula until you have driven one in VR.
Before buying the DK2, I used to say the future is VR, now I regret not having done it earlier as the future is now!
Would a better resolution be even more amazing? Absolutly! But waiting for better resolution and depriving one self of what is available to us today is not a smart choice if you are into immersion. Buying a second hand DK2 is the best way to try it, worst case scenario you can always sell it back for what you just paid if for some reason you don't fall in love with the VR experience.

Back