Anyone else dissapointed in Shift 2?

• Thread starter Spagetti69
  • 526 comments
Very disappointed here!

I have most of the issues with the game posted above plus these 2 extra ones:

1) Bumper cam is too low.
2) I can't tell how much or how quickly the car is slowing down when I brake. Not sure why this is, but in GT5 it's really intuitive, when I brake I instinctively know if i'm entering the corner too fast but in Shift I can come almost to a stop and don't get any feeling of having braked.
Maybe it's just me.

So it's back to a Friday night of Excellent GT5 online Nordschliefe goodness.

Practically shelved GT5 for the past 4 days in favor of playing Shift 2.

Short of inexcusable "lockups" on the upgrades page and a couple of times at the end of a race, no complaints with Shift 2.

If I had to choose between the real driving simulator vs. the real racing simulator . . . I'd choose racing. It's just not PD's priority evidently to simulate racing very well.

practically shelved gt5 for the past 4 days in favor of playing shift 2.

Short of inexcusable "lockups" on the upgrades page and a couple of times at the end of a race, no complaints with shift 2.

If i had to choose between the real driving simulator vs. The real racing simulator . . . I'd choose racing. It's just not pd's priority evidently to simulate racing very well.

+ 10

I'm finding it hilarious all the people complaining about how contact with other cars makes you wreck and spin out.

Ummm, isn't that what happens in real life? You don't see races on TV where guys are constantly bashing and ramming into each other, usually with the slightest contact they are out of the race.

What's more Sim? Bouncing of other cars and walls like pinballs with no penalty and in some cases it's faster to do so? Or trying your damndest not to bash into every car on the track cause it's race over if you do?

GT5 has guys spoiled on just plowing every car that is in front of you out of the way...

^ just ignore it :D
I'm getting my game whatever are the bad comments...
Not disappointed with Shift 1, how can I be disappointed with Shift 2.

If shift1 didn't dissappoint you then your gonna love shift2 > Amazing physics, ultra-realistic feedback from the wheel, 720p @ 30fps to die for, and forget karts in GT5, Shift2Unleashed lets you drive BOATS !!!!!!

Enjoy your copy mate. You probably got my pre-owned copy.

Nuck, I absolutely agree. When I started playing S2:U I was astonished at the realization of how careless I had gotten about making contact with other cars.

GT5 has guys spoiled on just plowing every car that is in front of you out of the way...

Spoiled cause cars drive like cars. how can a porsche, an aston martin and a maserati feel the same? The game should have been called the most realistic intense racer ever.....

Bah i was looking so forward to getting this game.

First let me say what i think its posetiv with the game:

The menu style is okay, "Story line" is exhiting, And the car sounds is amezing:)

BUT! I dont know if developers have tested the game with wheel at all, I fiddle alot with the settings probely not found the right/perfect setting jett but driving feeling with this game just feels wrong. And the ps3 only 720 p juck.

I hadd HIGH expertation for this game like 100 times to high, Am rly trying to sitt down and play trough this game but driving part is so awful to me, I wish thay would patch it and make it more wheel friendly.

Not sure if it is better then GT5 or Forza or anything but it sure as heck is fun to drive, once I got the settings on the G27 right.

The sense of speed is what makes this enjoyable and as long as I am actually playing it and it's not on my shelf with GT5 then I am happy.

Well I can know join this as I am really annoyed with the game. Was doing a race in I believe the Team Need for Speed Mustang and saw a Nissan Skyline R34. After that race I went to the dealership to get it and then it froze. I turned it off then on a again then tried to do it again. This time I was able to get the car but when I was upgrading it, it froze again. Is there a way I can try to ovoid this or is it this average game.

I also am using the DS3 controller and the cars are so twitchy. I believe this has something to do with the controller sensitivity but I can't find a way to lower it. Hopefully they patch these up.

EDIT: Found out that I can change the settings of the controller.

Last edited:
Not sure if it is better then GT5 or Forza or anything but it sure as heck is fun to drive, once I got the settings on the G27 right.

The sense of speed is what makes this enjoyable and as long as I am actually playing it and it's not on my shelf with GT5 then I am happy.

GT5 is on your shelf? blimey. With a G27?...My copy of Shift 2 is already gathering dust and I use a G27, playseat and a big fat telly.

(had a bloody good night online...again...(Friday's are ace online)...GT5 Nordschleife is the best thing since schleifed bread). Wayhey ! (You can have that, it's yours!)

Last edited:
Guys come on. A racing simulator? Does anybody who said that even watch or follow real racing?

The racing in Shift 2 is far from reality, its not trying to simulate real racing. Anybody seen movies like "Days of Thunder" or "Driven". Movies based on racing that happen to be ridiculously over the top and dramatic, while remaining pretty cool movies to watch they are nowhere near reprisenting or showing you what real racing is like. Its also like the Rocky movies, amazing movies and great fun to watch but real boxing is nothing like it is in those movies. This is what Shift 2 is, its the game version of a racing car movie.

Guys come on. A racing simulator? Does anybody who said that even watch or follow real racing?

The racing in Shift 2 is far from reality, its not trying to simulate real racing. Anybody seen movies like "Days of Thunder" or "Driven". Movies based on racing that happen to be ridiculously over the top and dramatic, while remaining pretty cool movies to watch they are nowhere near reprisenting or showing you what real racing is like. Its also like the Rocky movies, amazing movies and great fun to watch but real boxing is nothing like it is in those movies. This is what Shift 2 is, its the game version of a racing car movie.

the racing from every video game is far from reality

Well, it certainly ISN'T anything EA said it was. Bunch of liars is what they are. There's no weight to any of the cars. So, they behave stupidly when they collide and are REALLY touchy when you move the left stick. It's weird and stupid. Good thing is, the hot laps are super easy 'cause you don't have to worry about the stupid AI screwing you up.

As everyone is saying...the game is a huge disappointment. Two areas stand out to me - the graphics and the controls (obviously).

Most pictures shown online and gameplay videos looked quite good, not GT5 realistic, but very, very, sharp. I recently went back to Shift1 and was saying to myself how blurry everything looked and was getting excited for how the sequel must look better since its newer, but on PS3 it really looks poor. Graphics are hardly that much sharper than the first one in my eyes. Tracks and lighting look nice and richer (not crisper however if that makes any sense), and crashes sure are sweet, but damn has GT5 spoiled me with car models :ouch:. This game is really just not that good looking on PS3, some videos from the computer though seem to look a LOT better, which is SORT OF to be expected, so maybe it's just the particular console.

The controls is the usual story. My Fanatec GT3 RS/Clubsport Pedals completely blows with this game, yet completely rocks with GT5. I tried with the DS3 on standard settings, a TINY bit better, but tweaking is needed obviously and now with more reading I'm seeing the lag and boating is still making the game difficult to play.

The reason these things suck so bad is because the game does a lot of things so right. I really, really love mastering corners, the XP progression, and the helmet cam which takes a long time to get used to. I was getting so pissed at Shift, and immediately went back to Gt5. Driving was instantly better and more enjoyable, but I found myself also immediately missing the 'corner mastered' message popping up, the aggressive, fairly smart and unpredictable AI, and seeing the occasional spectacular crashes with AI cars flying all over the place barrel-rolling into oblivion.

I really, really want to like the game. These things it does right are great and add a lot to the racing genre. It makes racing more about fun and enjoyment while still being technical. Much nicer than the grind that GT5 turns into, despite superior drivability. Until the controls are patched, and some of the freezing issues get sorted out, I think the game is going to be stuck on the shelf sadly. Hopefully this mess doesn't happen with Dirt3. That will be truly heartbreaking.

the racing from every video game is far from reality

F1 2010 - Its a game, its a semi-sim like Shift 2, however it simulates the racing weekend of a F1 Grand Prix season, the drivers qualify and they race, the AI will fight for position but will avoid conflict and you race it out, you go into the pits to change tyres as is the rule, continue your strategy until the end of the race. You have flag rules and tyre rules, if you drive like an ass you get a penalty or disqualified.

As games go that is pretty close to reality.

Then you have

iRacing - Its a simulation game - Online only, full rules and damage that can not be turned off and there are no driving aids unless the real racing car has them, the game has arguably the best physics driving model, the best online code to allow only humans to race together fairly and competively. You qualify and you line up on the grid, if you bump another car you're likely to spin off or crash and damaging your car is easy, if you damage your car then you need to pit to get it fixed, if you cant make it to the pits thats your race over.

In so many ways iRacing is very close to real racing, the racing is generally clean and competitive, far from reality it really is not. Many of its members are real racing drivers, professional and some top level (NASCAR, Formula 1) drivers.

Sure it is still far from reality in the sense that you're sitting on your ass infront of a screen, but as far as simulating "Real Racing" goes, iRacing is damn close. Shift 2 is racing as you see it in the Movie theatres, packaged for the average consumer to look pretty and appeal to everyone. Real racing it is not.

The way I see it, simulators are basically more for people who actually race and are trying to memorize the tracks. GT5 will never give you the feel of driving a fast machine because it assumes the human mind is a machine that does not prioritize objects in its field of vision.

Shift may be trying to give the feel of racing without having to master each and every car and track. The game to be had here is in trying to make split second decisions on when and where to turn. How to turn is left to the 'pro' (basically your character controlled by the game engine).

So please stop trying to kid yourself into thinking you are going to get 'good' at driving or racing by playing a game. The only thing you are going to get good at is playing the game, no more. Simulators can only help you memorize tracks as far as I'm concerned.

The way I see it, simulators are basically more for people who actually race and are trying to memorize the tracks. GT5 will never give you the feel of driving a fast machine because it assumes the human mind is a machine that does not prioritize objects in its field of vision.

Shift may be trying to give the feel of racing without having to master each and every car and track. The game to be had here is in trying to make split second decisions on when and where to turn. How to turn is left to the 'pro' (basically your character controlled by the game engine).

So please stop trying to kid yourself into thinking you are going to get 'good' at driving or racing by playing a game. The only thing you are going to get good at is playing the game, no more. Simulators can only help you memorize tracks as far as I'm concerned.

GT Academy, Ferrari Virtual Academy and iRacing say hi, you can google and you will be surprised how many drivers have come up from simulation racing into real racing. Simulation is the future and a possible stepping stone into racing that previously only money could buy.

Interesting story this week, Lewis Hamiltons brother (who has cerebral palsy by the way) has got himself a racing car seat, the guy was a sim racer/gamer who was apparently quite skilled at the games. Its obvious that being the brother of Lewis has something to do with it, but the fact is the kid jumped into the car with no real car experience, and 4 days to practice before racing.

What's up with that 911 GT3RS you drive at the beginning where you establish your driver level -- at high speed the back end just drifts from side to side and is very hard to make the car go in a straight line.

This is so far reality its a joke!!

Have the people even sat in a 911 in their lives or are they just constructing these simulations from pictures on the Internet???

dissapointed, its ****... controls feels saggy, its like driving a shopingcart ffs. All cars feel the same, dosnt mater if i drive a FWD or a 4WD, feels exactly the same.

S2U has some good points on GT5 tho, you can save setups for each car to each track. You can change engine on some cars.

Downside, steering is ludacris, you either steer full on or nothing, can't even hold a lotus exige straight on a line. GT5 laughs at S2U!

I take it your using a pad?

People should put if they are using a pad or a wheel. To wheel users the above does not apply.

People should put if they are using a pad or a wheel. To wheel users the above does not apply.

Agreed. I used the pad tonight at work, and my driving was absolutely dreadful. That holds true with just about any driving game for me, though. S2 is pretty chaotic on the pad. On the wheel, however, I think it's absolutely brilliant.

Absolutely, I think a part of it has got to be the underlying assists pad users get that cant be turned off. Seems like they ruin the game on the pad.

Seems like they ruin the game on the pad.

It does really, it's my biggest gripe with the game so far. I had to do a lot of fiddling within the settings to get the DS3 running as I wanted (or near enough how I'd want it to be), I found the steering was way to sensitive at first and wanted a more progressive feel and I think I've found that now, but some cars seem to be more of handful to drive than others. That said, I think I must have the hang of it to some extent because this morning my Autolog told me I set the regional fastest time around the new Silverstone GP track. :P

I could go on about my disappointments with this game, one of which being the physics, but I feel most of it has been said before. I just hope they can patch some of the issues (game freezing please?) as there are some cars that do handle impressively on a pad. Or atleast I find them impressive. :lol:

JediRage
For Shift 2 or any game to be worse than GT5 must mean it is truly horrible. Take that into context when you say GT5>Shift 2.

Not true. Form my perspective, every game ever made is worse, considering GT5's my favorite racing game of all time.

And there are alot of other racing games out there that I'd consider far from horrible.

Last edited by a moderator:

I use a 360 pad and it's totally fine after a few adjustments...also that Lotus that everyone's moaning about is a great car once it's upgraded...sticks to the road like glue.

Back