Anyone else feels this game is just...

Behave, PCars is arcade? You mad? AC have taken some of the worst bits of GT and Forza, quick 4 lap races, must come in top 3 to progress, ticking down timers where you must trigger invisible gates to progress, pure arcade. It's not even close to PCars as it stands now. I'd argue that the FFB in PCars is a little less over done also.
Now don't get m wrong PCars is far from perfect, but for a racing title it ticks many more boxes than AC right now. PCars 'career' puts you into full race weekends with practice/qualy/race, with anything from 8 laps to 60 odd laps depending on car...
I'll play AC for the odd hot lapping session but i'm religiously playing PCars as its the only true racing game on consoles. Which doesn't make me gloat, it makes me sad.

Well a professional driver comparing assetto,iracing and Pcars says that Pcars is the most eycandy but clearly going on arcade side.

It's in Spanish, but i don't know if it got English subs.

(career mode doesn't make a game more simulation.. Only the physics and track accuracy makes a game more simulation than other)

Still not arcade, some folks need to look up what actual arcade games are. Look up arcade on google you get stuff like Pac Man, Space Invaders and Out Run etc.

wiki:
An arcade game or coin-op is a coin-operated entertainment machine typically installed in public businesses such as restaurants, bars and amusement arcades. Most arcade games are video games, pinball machines, electro-mechanical games, redemption games or merchandisers.

Arcade racing games have a simplified physics engine and do not require much learning time when compared with racing simulators. Cars can turn sharply without braking or understeer, and the AI rivals are sometimes programmed so they are always near the player (rubberband effect).

Last edited:
Still not arcade, some folks need to look up what actual arcade games are. Look up arcade on google you get stuff like Pac Man, Space Invaders and Out Run etc.
He didn't say it was arcade which is an absolute comparison, he said it was more on the arcade side, which is a relative comparison. Big difference. Something can be "more on the arcade side" or "more towards the arcade side" without being arcade.

Once you drive some of the cars around, going back to PCars is difficult because it feels like an arcade game.

Doh.
Its not arcade, its incorrect even if its less sim than your beloved AC (which i also own so its not special nor rare) its simply not arcade in the explanation of what arcade is....
Personally i find AC easier because its more accurate a representation of driving by a whisker.

Doh.
Its not arcade, its incorrect even if its less sim than your beloved AC (which i also own so its not special nor rare) its simply not arcade in the explanation of what arcade is....
Personally i find AC easier because its more accurate a representation of driving by a whisker.
You are deliberately trolling now. He's already clarified his original comment with this and you're well aware of it. He's only talking about one aspect of the game, the driving aspect. Note he didn't make any quantative statements about the physics themselves, just the way it feels to him...aka..an opinion based on what he feels when he drives.
I'm only comparing the driving aspect. The feeling and weight of the cars in Assetto Corsa felt more realistic. I'd been playing it for 2-3 days and I'm angry at AC, but when I went back to PCars, the cars felt like I was playing DriveClub compared to AC in how they handle.

Last edited:
I love driving in AC, the physics are just incredible.
Having a lot of fun doing single make races around Zandvoort

That said, I think it is a very big mistake not having private lobbies.
I got my preordered game in a few days early, if I hadn't and I learned that this was the case I would've considered canceling the preorder.

On top of that the whole prestige pack thing, I did know of this either, and tried to get a prestige version afterwards but would not know where in the Netherlands I could get one. I was really looking forward to driving the Ferrari 488 and NISMO GT-R. They are even in the launch trailer so I completed expected them to be available. now they are just sitting there in the menu. I bought the season pass (before I knew about the prestige edition) but that did not unlock it either and now we know they will not be unlocked by the seasonpass at all, I'll have to fork out more money.
But that is just my personal issue.

It would also be great to be able to map the buttons on the wheel, I could not belief this was not possible.
In fact most of the options are striped to a bare minimum.

So would I have bought the game if I knew all this was going on and it was not a direct port from PC?
Definitely not, and certainly not for the full price of €59,- (and now the season pass on top of that)
But now that I have it I'm enjoying it as much as I can.

You are deliberately trolling now. He's already clarified his original comment with this and you're well aware of it. He's only talking about one aspect of the game, the driving aspect. Note he didn't make any quantative statements about the physics themselves, just the way it feels to him...aka..an opinion based on what he feels when he drives.

No he said and i quoted already PCars "feels like an arcade game", his opinion yes, but am i allowed to counter that opinion?
How is me saying PCars isn't an aracde game even close to trolling?

I said that compared to Assetto Corsa's feel PCars feels more like an arcade. I love PCars, but I felt the gap between the two gaps was significant and that is what I was stating. It's not an arcade game by any means, I felt the handling in comparison to AC, it felt way more loose and forgiving, much like the gap between PCars and Driveclub.
What FFB set-up are you using for PCars?

I've run direct comparisons between the two (on the same track, with the same car - multiple combinations) and the difference I would not agree is as big as you are claiming it too be, rather I've personally found it very easy to transfer between the two.

Now it may well be down to what you are comparing, as the gap is wider when it comes to road cars (but the comparison pool is small for that), however its still not massive and when it comes to race cars its close.

And I have no issues driving in either game, which is as it should be as I can drive a bit in real life, in fact I've said before I find AC easier as its a fraction closer to a real feeling of driving.
Having said that some cars on PCars work a lot better and feel better than AC IMO, the classic Lotus's for a start.
Anyway I'd never try to do down a game just to fit an agenda that another game i own is "da bestest eva! yo innit!"
I own Forza 6 but don't play it as much as PCars but i have never ever slagged off anyone who plays it or tried to make them feel small or like they are wrong...
These are all just games...
Hey if owning AC but daring to still play PCars makes me a troll Johnny then so be it.

What FFB set-up are you using for PCars?

I've run direct comparisons between the two (on the same track, with the same car - multiple combinations) and the difference I would not agree is as big as you are claiming it too be, rather I've personally found it very easy to transfer between the two.

Now it may well be down to what you are comparing, as the gap is wider when it comes to road cars (but the comparison pool is small for that), however its still not massive and when it comes to race cars its close.

Let me check when I get back to it. Away on business today. I primarily drive road cars. The race cars do feel very similar and handle similarly in each game.

Let me check when I get back to it. Away on business today. I primarily drive road cars. The race cars do feel very similar and handle similarly in each game.
I thought that might be the case, stuff like the Yellowbird is much better in AC, but when you get to the likes of the GT3 cars it's almost identical.

No he said and i quoted already PCars "feels like an arcade game", his opinion yes, but am i allowed to counter that opinion?
How is me saying PCars isn't an aracde game even close to trolling?
You've already asked him to clarify and he already did. Your reading comprehension or memory is failing you again.
And I have no issues driving in either game, which is as it should be as I can drive a bit in real life, in fact I've said before I find AC easier as its a fraction closer to a real feeling of driving.
Having said that some cars on PCars work a lot better and feel better than AC IMO, the classic Lotus's for a start.
Anyway I'd never try to do down a game just to fit an agenda that another game i own is "da bestest eva! yo innit!"
I own Forza 6 but don't play it as much as PCars but i have never ever slagged off anyone who plays it or tried to make them feel small or like they are wrong...
These are all just games...
Hey if owning AC but daring to still play PCars makes me a troll Johnny then so be it.
What makes you a troll is misquoting people and continuing to badger away when your questions have been asked and answered already and you proceed as if that isn't the case and continue to misquote. Making things up like, "if owning AC but daring to still play PCars makes me a troll", which no one has said or hinted at, is also troll like behaviour.

Here's my thoughts on AC.
As I've stated,I'm waiting 2 weeks to purchase this. It needs patching,so did PCARS.
I played for 2 consistent hours on my friends PS4,t300 wheel.
The physics are excellent.
Best I've played on a console,bar none.
Graphics,well I really could care less about trees and off track stuff. Usually I try to avoid these things,as I'm concentrating on the "track".
Is it just me, or do the cars in the rear view mirror look strange?
AI,well that needs a patch.
Online,as usual, noobs,idiots abound.
That's every console port,nothing new. Yes it needs to be fixed.
Career,hmm, it's a little flawed.
I'm not a big career guy,medal whoar,but damn,you can't catch some of these guys. Pretty difficult.
I would think once Kunos fixes the game, it will be a top notch game. Give it time.
7 out of 10.

Here's my thoughts on AC.
As I've stated,I'm waiting 2 weeks to purchase this. It needs patching,so did PCARS.
I played for 2 consistent hours on my friends PS4,t300 wheel.
The physics are excellent.
Best I've played on a console,bar none.
Graphics,well I really could care less about trees and off track stuff. Usually I try to avoid these things,as I'm concentrating on the "track".
Is it just me, or do the cars in the rear view mirror look strange?
AI,well that needs a patch.
Online,as usual, noobs,idiots abound.
That's every console port,nothing new. Yes it needs to be fixed.
Career,hmm, it's a little flawed.
I'm not a big career guy,medal whoar,but damn,you can't catch some of these guys. Pretty difficult.
I would think once Kunos fixes the game, it will be a top notch game. Give it time.
7 out of 10.
I haven't seen it myself, but the rearview mirror resolution is probably reduced to save framerates. You have various levels on the pc version including turning the mirror right off if you want to, and in the lower settings it looks like hell to be honest:lol:. I run mine at the highest settings because anything else really breaks the immersion for me.

I haven't seen it myself, but the rearview mirror resolution is probably reduced to save framerates. You have various levels on the pc version including turning the mirror right off if you want to, and in the lower settings it looks like hell to be honest:lol:. I run mine at the highest settings because anything else really breaks the immersion for me.
I'm purchasing a PC in October.
Too many good games on PC that are not on Console.
Played Nascar 2003 on PC for years,great mods,cars,tracks etc.
Miss those days.
Just paid a lot of money sending my Daughter off to Western University. Hopefully in 5 years she gets me the Porche she promised.:dopey::lol:

I'm purchasing a PC in October.
Too many good games on PC that are not on Console.
Played Nascar 2003 on PC for years,great mods,cars,tracks etc.
Miss those days.
Just paid a lot of money sending my Daughter off to Western University. Hopefully in 5 years she gets me the Porche she promised.:dopey::lol:
My son is out for more than a year and I keep checking my driveway every day just in case:(. It's a great time to be a pc sim racer. So many good games that each offer something a little different but, unfortunately, there is no one game to rule them all:crazy:. So many other quirky little games in many genres on pc that it makes the transition very enjoyable. I'd say just be prepared to tinker but I'm guessing you're a tinkerer by nature:sly:

Once you drive some of the cars around, going back to PCars is difficult because it feels like an arcade game.

Johnny please expalin how i misquoted when its clearly there to see? I simply dared suggest PCars wasn't arcade, I didn't act like a child and say "oooh, AC is arcade" as its not. Why are you so keen to agree with someone and liking a post which states PCars is arcade?? Then turn round and badger me and try to suggest i'm a lying?
Now can you please explain then why you agree with someone that PCars is like an arcade game?

I own AC and according to Kunos i'm playing exactly the same physics as you Jon, so I know AC isn't even close to arcade (apart from career 3 lappers and time trial stuff) but i also am pretty happy to say PCars isn't close to arcade either, i think its a crazy statement and unfair on SMS.

Last edited:
I finally spent some time on career and special events in the last few days, and can only add to the consensus that the AI is screwed up. They don't seem to be too reckless. Their awareness of you is OK. But I think they're all stuck on "alien" until you get past them. The only major difference I found between the difficulties is that on the easier settings, opponents tend to give up more completely when you pass them, particularly once you finally take 1st. You go 3 laps neck and neck with the same 3 guys, finally make some big moves and get ahead, next thing you know you're completely alone. They go from same lap time as you to +20 sec/lap :confused:

I picked it up yesterday for PS4 and had a go today. The driving is great even with a pad IMO.

I agree though it pretty much needs extra content everywhere else.

So far I'm enjoying it, hopefully Kunos will add to what I think is a great starting point.

For me AC is all about the feeling of driving, that feeling alone makes the game worth it´s money for me (played with T300 GTE until it broke a few days ago) .
I can live with the somewhat poor graphics and unsatisfying online stuff (i´m mostly driving by my self anyway).
But it surprises me that so few is mentioning the car sounds.
Those are in some cases the biggest issue with the game for me.
Some of them are good other even wounderful, but to give a car like the amazing F40 those exhaust explosions when driving in the cockpit view for example!?! :ill:
Sounds more like they have tried to replicate the sound of making popcorn than an F40 during lift of or downshift to me, it ruins the whole feeling and i find that hard to live with.
I hope they will fix this in the future.
If they do and the Porsche pack will include a 917K and a 1974 911 RSR (without popcorn) i´m satisfied.

No popcorn. :cheers:

That's an LM though which sounds totally different :P
Looked for some popcorn on videos of the normal version but haven't heard the off throttle rumble yet. Engine sound is spot on though.

Yes i know it's an LM in the video, it was just for fun.

I'm with you on the engine sound, but i can't stand the exaust "bludder".

I can't help thinking that although its good, there's a bit of 'the emperor's new clothes' about it.
I played it last night and it was good and at times it felt great but I just don't see it being that much better than other stuff available, in fact in most areas its a lot worse.
If anyone can point out what it is they have reinvented in this genre then please enlighten me as I was using ToCA 1 as a hot lapper back 25 odd years ago.

I can't help thinking that although its good, there's a bit of 'the emperor's new clothes' about it.
I played it last night and it was good and at times it felt great but I just don't see it being that much better than other stuff available, in fact in most areas its a lot worse.
If anyone can point out what it is they have reinvented in this genre then please enlighten me as I was using ToCA 1 as a hot lapper back 25 odd years ago.
AC gets closer to a natural feeling of driving a car than anything I've played. You could argue that AC epitomises the driving simulator which doesn't require you to "learn" it before you can keep the car on the road. Not a reinvention but a clear line in the sand.

AC gets closer to a natural feeling of driving a car than anything I've played. You could argue that AC epitomises the driving simulator which doesn't require you to "learn" it before you can keep the car on the road. Not a reinvention but a clear line in the sand.

Yes, I'd go along with that and have said similar on other threads, I think though for me 95% of the cars in PCars give me that feeling (provided FFB is set up) and certainly DiRT as well.
There are a few cars in AC that to me at least feel odd and they seem to be the FWD ones.
I was playing it last night and I was actually doing career races and it was fun for a bit granted, but I'll be honest when racing with 15 AI in the first few corners when cars are bunched up the FFB and physics feel odd, wasn't sure if it was me and it could just be that, but is the physics suffering at the start when a lot is going on?

I was playing it last night and I was actually doing career races and it was fun for a bit granted, but I'll be honest when racing with 15 AI in the first few corners when cars are bunched up the FFB and physics feel odd, wasn't sure if it was me and it could just be that, but is the physics suffering at the start when a lot is going on?

Cold tires maybe?

This is it in a nutshell. Not everyone feels this way of course and if one doesn't have a wheel you can't "feel" anything at all. PCars may be a better "game" but it never gave me the pure joy of driving nor the natural feel of AC. Once you're bitten by the AC bug it's hard to turn back, for many of us anyway. Now that I think about it, it's much the same feeling people have had about Gran Turismo for nearly 20 years. It doesn't have to be the best at everything, and GT certainly isn't, to draw you in and make you a fan, it simply has to appeal to you in a way that goes beyond logic and into your soul.:cheers:

Last edited:
Back