Are the server problems really fixed ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter stucar17
  • 120 comments
  • 6,612 views
I got dropped from a room just recently, which hardly bothers me, more intriguing though was when I went back into open lobby and the game showed no rooms available. Regardless of region, race type, you name it.

Just wondering if that's happened to anyone. I gotta hit the sack anyway.

Yes I experienced the same thing last night, the whole room got kicked. The main lobby list was empty, and then after that an error code started coming up when trying to check the lobbies.
 
Any game that is 'Multi-Platform' runs on dedicated servers, exclusives are run 'Peer-to-Peer' (on PS3), they only use servers as a link to each PS3 (in GT5s case).

Wait, what?

Are you talking about cross-platform online gaming (as in different systems playing online together (such as final fantasy mmo), or multi platform games such as CoD (which uses peer 2 peer, one person in the lobby acts as host).

Multi platform games use both dedicated play servers ( battlefield 3), and peer 2 peer (CoD), gt5 uses two forms of peer 2 peer, fixed host means only one person in that lobby is host, non fixed host means everyone in that lobby is a host (but only the Creator has admin rights).

Exclusives use both as well, mag uses dedicated play servers, and I already explained gt5.

Heck even cross-platform games can use both, 4x4 evolution was cross-platform online, PC, Mac, and dreamcast could play online with each other and it used peer 2 peer.

The only time you touch a dedicated server in a peer 2 peer game is when you first connect online and looking for people to play against, one is a matchmaking server like in CoD, and the other is a lobby list server such as in gt5, in gt5 the lobby Creator also pings the lobby list server so that the lobby can be seen and found by others regardless of what host mode you have set, so if in fixed host mode when lobby host leaves the lobby ends, in non fixed host the Creator still pings the list server, when he quits all the functions pass to the next in line. If for any reason the admin of the room lost connection to the list server the lobby will end.

You have dedicated play servers (which is what you play on when you join a online game) and matchmaking/lobby list servers for peer 2 peer (think of it as a IP collection server so you can find people playing the same game). With dedicated play servers you still have to connect to a master list server to be able to see and connect to a game server (which is the same thing as what gt5 uses to list the available public lobbies).
 
Last edited:
Yes I experienced the same thing last night, the whole room got kicked. The main lobby list was empty, and then after that an error code started coming up when trying to check the lobbies.

Ah, alright. Well it was nice racing with you guys while it lasted. I just got a friend request from sawin too, so I might see you around sometime.
 
Ah, alright. Well it was nice racing with you guys while it lasted. I just got a friend request from sawin too, so I might see you around sometime.

Yeah the lobby list server was either down for maintenance, or it crashed, or it had connection issues. I created a lobby last night, we was playing for hours when I was booted, messaged my friend and he got booted as well, neither one of us could reconnect to the lobby list server. So it was definitely offline for some reason or another.

The way they have it set up now is if the lobby lost connection to the lobby list server the whole lobby gets booted, or if the lobby server gets taken offline everyone gets booted. They have the lobby list server connection tied to if you can remain in lobby or not. I wish it was set up to where even if the lobby list server was taken down or the admin lost connection to the list server that you could remain in the same lobby uninterrupted. Just like many people was still playing halo and other games online even after the original Xbox live was taken offline.
 
Last edited:
Ah, alright. Well it was nice racing with you guys while it lasted. I just got a friend request from sawin too, so I might see you around sometime.

Yeah that was fun last night.
I didn't realize who you were when I replied to your post, oops, we were in the same room.
 
K1LLD0z3R
I run offline practice and am close to online room times. It comes down to setting up offline to match online. Tire wear/fuel consumption (on/off) and grip reduction set to real seem to be the major ones.

Don't forget to look for a clean air run online as now we seem to have draft in free run.

Is there a general rule of thumb of what needs to be adjusted to compensate for when it goes to crap when using the car online?
 
Is there a general rule of thumb of what needs to be adjusted to compensate for when it goes to crap when using the car online?

For the online races I join in, Tire wear is on, Fuel consumption is on and grip reduction is set to real. I use those same settings in Offline Practice and my lap times are usually within half a second.

GT5 has a few host settings though. Race Quality being one I have no idea what it really effects. Some of these host settings probably alter that difference between online and offline.

Unfortunately I blindly tune so I really have no advice on adjustments when it goes to crap.
 
K1LLD0z3R
For the online races I join in, Tire wear is on, Fuel consumption is on and grip reduction is set to real. I use those same settings in Offline Practice and my lap times are usually within half a second.

GT5 has a few host settings though. Race Quality being one I have no idea what it really effects. Some of these host settings probably alter that difference between online and offline.

Unfortunately I blindly tune so I really have no advice on adjustments when it goes to crap.

Thanks Dozer
 
I was hosting a Breast Cancer Awareness Cruise and the lobby locked up every persons PS3.
 
I'm still having issues as well.
 
The sever is not fixed. Me an my friends are still getting black an froze screens. GT5 made it worse when they they fixed it. Now i get black an froze screens in regular races. IF gt5 dont fix it soon i know 89 people who will not be buying gt6
 
r3dnekteddybear
The sever is not fixed. Me an my friends are still getting black an froze screens. GT5 made it worse when they they fixed it. Now i get black an froze screens in regular races. IF gt5 dont fix it soon i know 89 people who will not be buying gt6

Come on. This isn't a server problem.
 
Hmmm, well it seems to be fixed for me...
 
Buggered if i know whats causing it Orphan.....

Mine is working ok again. I managed to find some time last night and all was good, logged in first go and other than my username (which in theory doesnt do anything) i havent changed anything on my network, so PD must have made a change somewhere ?

It just doesnt make any sense to me, other than it having to be a change that PD are making somewhere in their system, that suddenly effects people that have been playing without issue previously.

So long as i can continue to get on im happy, so many are frustrated though....
 
not fixed jef

I was playing online and I was kicked in Ps3 menu O_o
 
I got DC'd twice from our usually stable league last night. Others as well. We had to start the one race three times. 👎
 
Playing online yesterday, had one person in 1st place complain they could not see the person in 2nd place on the track map, which I understand could be unnerving. Then 4 of 7 drivers "left the room" all at the same time, in the middle of a race.

So the server is not fixed. It is less broken.
 
I've had a much more stable time since the update, no black screens or disconnects for me yet. Guess I'm just lucky, I suppose.
 
Callumfromleeds
I've had a much more stable time since the update, no black screens or disconnects for me yet. Guess I'm just lucky, I suppose.

It's just select people I am guessing. I have no problems here either
 
dyni85.png


It seems this issue has been sorted out, now my page is displayed correctly & not showing 19 B-Spec drivers . Unfortunately, though not an issue, the money that was gained by the two B-Spec drivers at the top just disappeared.

Whether hardwired or wireless, I'm still getting disconnected from the server on occassion. Never had as many issues online prior to the 2.08 patch.

As already stated, the issues are still there for some, but not for others.
 
not fixed jef

I was playing online and I was kicked in Ps3 menu O_o

That has nothing to do with server issues, the game just outright crashed. I have had this happen to me in nfs shift 2, CoD, skyrim, and this game.

Playing online yesterday, had one person in 1st place complain they could not see the person in 2nd place on the track map, which I understand could be unnerving. Then 4 of 7 drivers "left the room" all at the same time, in the middle of a race.

So the server is not fixed. It is less broken.

That has nothing to do with the latest lobby list server issues, the lobby list server plays no part in online gameplay bandwidth , it only lists the public lobbies people create.

its a bug on how our systems communicate with each other in this game, this game is a peer 2 peer game, not a dedicated server game. I have seen this happen where players can't see other players cars mostly when a lobby Creator selects fixed host and has a crappy internet connection, or a combination of the host and a few other peoples connection in the lobby.

I have only seen this once in non fixed host mode, due to this hosting mode is more stable because everyone in the lobby shares hosting duty.

Being that they stupidly tied the lobby list servers to if you can remain in a lobby or not, if it was a issue with the list server you all would have been kicked, not just a few people.
 
Last edited:
I have only seen this once in non fixed host mode, due to this hosting mode is more stable because everyone in the lobby shares hosting duty.
I would see this all the time in non-fixed host rooms. The loading line/invisible issue has been a constant problem since earlier this year. For the most part I fixed my issue by switching ISPs and setting up my PS3 with a static IP and in the routers DMZ.

Nothing has changed on my end but I still have seen the issue twice with this latest update/server issue. I've also been left in two black screens since the update.
 
Come on. This isn't a server problem.

Who cares if it's server or something else that's causing it. GT5's online multiplayer service is a complete mess and that's what matters. Just went online again, found a nice room that I joined, went to the track and selected the free run button and... black screen.

Server issues? Might be fixed, I have no idea.
Online issues? Nowhere near being fixed.
 
eran0004
Who cares if it's server or something else that's causing it. GT5's online multiplayer service is a complete mess and that's what matters. Just went online again, found a nice room that I joined, went to the track and selected the free run button and... black screen.

Server issues? Might be fixed, I have no idea.
Online issues? Nowhere near being fixed.

When you got that black screen did you wait for your car to load into the pits before clicking drive?

I accidentally did this yesterday and I got the black screen. I just backed out because it is my fault that u didn't let the car load into the pits before clicking. I left and came back. I let my car load into the pits and then clicked drive. No black screen.

I mean just give it a few seconds after it loads to where you can see it in the pits before you click drive. Because it seems like every time I click drive before my car loads into the pits in get a black screen. If i wait a few extra seconds (which think about it not very long you could count to 5 or something) i don't get a black screen.


I have wrote this many times on here and the news section. Sorry to say this. If you know that if you rush the game (not saying the game should do this in the first place but you know that it does) and it will cause you to get a black screen that is your fault for being impatient.
 
For me the server issues have intensified, so much to the point I'm disconnected from any room I join within minutes, that is if I can get past the loading screen. It literally is 50/50 whether or not I even enter the lobby before disconnecting and like 80% chance to DC even if I'm in the lobby - even with lobbies w/ full bars.

I've got excellent internet and it never used to be a problem until the last major update. Weird though because I run a lobby days on end before being disconnected with ppl coming in and out... but if I join a room, different story.
 
When you got that black screen did you wait for your car to load into the pits before clicking drive?

I accidentally did this yesterday and I got the black screen. I just backed out because it is my fault that u didn't let the car load into the pits before clicking. I left and came back. I let my car load into the pits and then clicked drive. No black screen.

I mean just give it a few seconds after it loads to where you can see it in the pits before you click drive. Because it seems like every time I click drive before my car loads into the pits in get a black screen. If i wait a few extra seconds (which think about it not very long you could count to 5 or something) i don't get a black screen.


I have wrote this many times on here and the news section. Sorry to say this. If you know that if you rush the game (not saying the game should do this in the first place but you know that it does) and it will cause you to get a black screen that is your fault for being impatient.

It doesn't matter how long you sit in the pits, I have sat there for 10 minutes before selecting drive and still had it logo black screen.

There are two black screens, one is a logo black screen (more then likely not able to recover from), and the plain black screen, you see this when your connection is synchronizing with the host or other players.

I have had more logo black screens staying in the pits then I have being on the track when lobby admin starts the race.

For me the server issues have intensified, so much to the point I'm disconnected from any room I join within minutes, that is if I can get past the loading screen. It literally is 50/50 whether or not I even enter the lobby before disconnecting and like 80% chance to DC even if I'm in the lobby - even with lobbies w/ full bars.

I've got excellent internet and it never used to be a problem until the last major update. Weird though because I run a lobby days on end before being disconnected with ppl coming in and out... but if I join a room, different story.

It's either your connection or the persons connections in that lobby. If it was the lobby list server you all would be kicked. Sounds to me its either your connection, or someones connection has a issue with yours, haven't had a disconnect in a few days, and if I do, its just me and the lobby is still listed and the same people racing. And when it happens its usually due to someone joining, or admin kicking a player, or when admin leaves in a non fixed lobby and admin gets passed to me.

You can have connection issue with the lobby list server you will be kicked out of the lobby. It has to be a issue with your ISP blocking a port, or your network blocking a port. If either happens you will be disconnected.
 
Last edited:
There are two black screens, one is a logo black screen (more then likely not able to recover from), and the plain black screen, you see this when your connection is synchronizing with the host or other players.

Yes!

I tell my guests this:

“If your BLACK SCREEN has a GT5 LOGO leave the room ASAP”

No mics in my room so…
 
I have wrote this many times on here and the news section. Sorry to say this. If you know that if you rush the game (not saying the game should do this in the first place but you know that it does) and it will cause you to get a black screen that is your fault for being impatient.
It is in no way the user's fault. A game shouldn't break because someone pushes a button.

This game has so many workarounds that it is ridiculous. This forum exists to answer questions, provide information and workarounds. That should tell you there is something fundamentally wrong with PD, GT5 and its support.

It's time we stop blaming each other and hold PD accountable.
 
Back