Area 51 = New Gt5 Road Course

• Thread starter freshtokyo
  • 47 comments
I don't know. Why it would be nice to race on a runway, even though there are others I'd prefer due to scenery, you'd have to find a way to incorporate those little roads. Other wise, it might end up like Seoul and New York.

It would be such a boring course to race on, all straights and none of the twisty stuff. It would come in handy as a beginners course tho lol.

vtec_guy
It would be such a boring course to race on, all straights and none of the twisty stuff. It would come in handy as a beginners course tho lol.
True, except GT4's Beginner Course is real.
Yes, this is real, but the racing isn't....or is it?

of COURSE you would use the side roads etc.... maybe even a little run through the "town/compound" or whatever that place is... bet it could be made to be as long as the 'ring.

Then there would be armed guys in black cammies shooting at you and aliens jumping out in front of your car. You could also see where they faked the moon landing. Time for me to just stop :lol:.

It's funny that there's a bunch of people saying "We want the Top Gear test track!" and then saying "We don't want a track at an airfield".

I wouldn't mind seeing it. Honestly, we need more tracks where the super-fast cars can actually BE super-fast. What good's 250mph if you never actually reach it?

Ive hit those kinda speeds many a time before on the old lemans. And top gear would be more fun since its a real circuit and we could compare times with the ones from the hot lap board and the celebs in that suzuki poo thing.

Area51-072503-LG.jpg

Like that?

Though where would you put the pit lane?

Errrh... kinda boring to have a 3.2 kilometer (by my calculations, based on the picture) straight, followed by another 2 km straight, followed by ANOTHER...

Needs some chicanes to slow it down... imagine the accidents you could have in the braking areas... :lol:

Here's one for everyone to ponder over. Well, not really as the location on the site gives it away http://www.terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=11&Z=17&X=1107&Y=11490&W=3
Know which airport it is? You would if you can/do follow racing stateside. It's Burke Lakefront Airport in Cleveland, OH. Champ Cars, Trans-Am, and Speed World Challenge all race there. It too is wide open and flat but it's fun. I saw the map for Area 51s runway system and immediately thought of "BKL" in Cleveland. If professional race car drivers can have fun on an airport's runway system, then why can't we have some fun in 51? :D

As aside: SR-71s, like the one in my avatar, should know those Groom Lake runways pretty well 👍

Thanks for the image, freshtokyo, it's much better then what I've seen from either Google maps or Terraserver.
McLaren F1GTR

Yes, this is real, but the racing isn't....or is it?
Employees must park in a remote facility and are flown or bussed in. So, probably no racing.

Yup employees fly out of Las Vegas on an unmarked plane with the call sign of Janet.

Me = nerd.

A Mercedes Benz game I got awhile ago had a Area 51 track in it, I find it alittle boring.

I'd say... from my calculations, that sucker seems to be about 3.2 km on a side... imagine three straights over one kilometer! That's huge compared to the test track (which is about as long as you want to get it...).

I'd like to see an airfield track, but CART style only, with chicanes and lines plotted zigzag all over the place... but then that's exactly like Fuji Speedway. :/

I doubt having the idea of a track "based" in Area 51 would work. We all know the crazy lengths PD goes to make the track accurate if it was based on a real place (alright, accurate to at least some time in the past), and I doubt the US government would grant PD access to Area 51.

Get the old Hockenheimring. Snip out the stadium complex. Turn the three chicanes into simple right-handers, et voila - Nellis.

All that'd require to make it fun is insert chicanes (right-left-right) where the simple rights are. Pitlane could go on the right-hand side of that strip leading out from the facility to the centre runway.

The BIG problem is... where do the crowd go?

Famine
Get the old Hockenheimring. Snip out the stadium complex. Turn the three chicanes into simple right-handers, et voila - Nellis.

All that'd require to make it fun is insert chicanes (right-left-right) where the simple rights are. Pitlane could go on the right-hand side of that strip leading out from the facility to the centre runway.

The BIG problem is... where do the crowd go?

In your new haircut? :lol: Love the do. :lol:
image.php

Nup. That's our newest moderator, daan (after a little Photoshop treatment). He's joined the establishment. He's become "The Man" (odd we're talking about this in a thread about Nellis...).

By the way, you all DO know that every time someone mentions Nellis by its "popular codename", "they" kill a puppy, don't you?

instead of having the straight between corners 8 and 9, how about cutting a left at 8 in between the buildings, zig-zagging throughout connecting back to the main track at 9. but keeping the long straight ... well straight :D

As far as I am concerned, an Airstrip Circuit will always be Mickey Mouse-y. It'd all be just 90 degree corners or what-have-you. No flow to them, all start and stop stuff.

Just my opinion though. I just don't like start and stop courses.

Back