Assetto corsa coming to PS4 and Xbox one

• Thread starter hennessey86
  • 10,511 comments
I'm loosing faith in assetto corsa. Played the update thinking it would draw me back in, but there is something that is nagging at me. There isn't anything that assetto corsa gives me that I can't get from automobilista....

Yes there is the car selection that is way better, but the AI in assetto corsa is so infuriating. They are very skilled, and can match my level of skill quite well, but my goodness they can not pass another car! They just sit there right behind the slower vehicles and miss so many opportunities for overtaking. Some one talk me down. I'm upset and I don't want to be.

Yes there is the car selection that is way better, but the AI in assetto corsa is so infuriating. They are very skilled, and can match my level of skill quite well, but my goodness they can not pass another car! They just sit there right behind the slower vehicles and miss so many opportunities for overtaking. Some one talk me down. I'm upset and I don't want to be.

The latest PC build improved the AI. It might come to consoles too. See for yourself:

I dont get it - you play on PC and Console?
Or am i missing something? If you play Assetto only on Console you only get the latest additions from the pc Version 6 months later
I have a low end non gaming PC, and automobilista is easy to run. Too afraid to try assetto corsa on PC and find out it won't run...

Custom championships are the greatest thing to happen to this game since release. Just started a “GT Legends“ themed championship with only historic race cars like 787, Sauber C9 and all the classic Porsches. So much fun!
Yeah...That's such a cool feature. When everybody was clamoring for it, in the beginning, I couldn't really understand the big deal. But, now that we have them, I've already run probably 7 or 8. Usually, I just keep them small in terms of the number of races, just so I don't get distracted and/or bored and leave one uncompleted.

Yes...Console players will be extremely happy with the new AI system updates coming in their next update. We lucky folks on PC have had it since Thursday and I can attest I have run many different setups, just to see how the AI would react. The results have been very positive.

Have Kunos said anything about the new AI improvements coming to console? I'm concerned that the way they have the AI set up (as in Easy/Medium/Hard etc) won't allow for the new aggression slider and suchlike. They should really get rid of the difficulty categories and just make it a percentage slider like they've got on PC. I don't know how else they'll implement it and still can't understand why they chose to go this route on console.

I have a low end non gaming PC, and automobilista is easy to run. Too afraid to try assetto corsa on PC and find out it won't run...

Steam has a refund policy, if you've had it less than 14 days and played it less than 2 hours you can get a full refund. So give it a download and see if it works, if not they'll refund your money. 👍

Have Kunos said anything about the new AI improvements coming to console? I'm concerned that the way they have the AI set up (as in Easy/Medium/Hard etc) won't allow for the new aggression slider and suchlike. They should really get rid of the difficulty categories and just make it a percentage slider like they've got on PC. I don't know how else they'll implement it and still can't understand why they chose to go this route on console.
Yeah, I hope they find a way to implement the new AI for consoles.

I'm really enjoying seeing the videos of the new one for the PC.

Yeah, I hope they find a way to implement the new AI for consoles.

I'm really enjoying seeing the videos of the new one for the PC.
Oh, there is no question that you'll be getting the new AI code and all indications say you'll be getting it with the console's next update. The only thing that doesn't seem so clear is, "how will the options be on the console compared to the PC?"

For some reason, the console never seems to get as wide of a range as PC players in several different settings. Christ, consoles' just got the 5 other surface settings. To be honest, I'm actually very surprised at how receptive the majority of console players have been. Especially the people who post here regularly...it is awesome to see people stating they're using "Old", "Dusty" & "Green" settings quite often now. I will admit that I didn't think you guys would want anything beside Optimum...and maybe Fast on a rare occasion. I think you console players are being more adventurous than most PC players. That's awesome! 👍

For some reason, the console never seems to get as wide of a range as PC players in several different settings. Christ, consoles' just got the 5 other surface settings. To be honest, I'm actually very surprised at how receptive the majority of console players have been. Especially the people who post here regularly...it is awesome to see people stating they're using "Old", "Dusty" & "Green" settings quite often now. I will admit that I didn't think you guys would want anything beside Optimum...and maybe Fast on a rare occasion. I think you console players are being more adventurous than most PC players. That's awesome! 👍

Why would people's choice of platform influence preferences for track surface conditions? And "you guys"? We're all AC players for cow's sake! :lol:

Surely that wouldn't prevent console from getting the AI improvements and we weould just get pre defined settings similar to difficulty.

Surely that wouldn't prevent console from getting the AI improvements and we weould just get pre defined settings similar to difficulty.
Possibly not, but the difficulty settings are poorly balanced as is IMO and adding more pre-defined AI settings on top might be asking for trouble. I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised if they just make an overall change to something like the way they form a train behind slow cars and leave it at that. Even that would be a huge improvement.

We lucky folks on PC have had it since Thursday and I can attest I have run many different setups, just to see how the AI would react. The results have been very positive.
I noticed the AI was pretty squirrely on the start in that video, with even the P1/P2 cars jumping around. Does that ever seem to cause trouble, or do their collision avoidance tendencies seem to override that and prevent bumper cars?

Not sure, but I think that AI start behaviour might be caused by this:
- Fixed AI giving away green light by flooring gas 500ms in advance

EDIT: Oops, nevermind, I misunderstood.

Last edited:
Why would people's choice of platform influence preferences for track surface conditions? And "you guys"? We're all AC players for cow's sake! :lol:
Oh, I know it was wrong of me to assume anything. In my limited experience, I do see some general differences between the PC & Console players of Assetto Corsa. The Career Mode & Special Events come to mind. I think those things are significantly more important to console players. Please accept my apologies. I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else with my comments.

Also, I do consider all of us part of the same family. I often will say things like, "our console cousins" and I've tried to be as supportive as possible with almost every single issue console users have faced. Again, I don't mean any offense when saying "you guys". I guess it's just my way of directing my comments to either console players or PC players. I will report to Human Resources immediately. I'm sure my sensitivity training will start immediately. :embarrassed: :(

@Fredzy I'm not exactly sure how to answer that question. I can't say I noticed the LMPs acting up, but there was no missing that white Audi GT3 swaying all over the place. This is my slightly educated guess: The beginning of Lap #1 is always going to be the most hectic. It's true in real life as well. With AI, however, I don't believe they have any idea if it's lap 1 or lap 100. The AI just know that there are a butt load of cars all packed together and they've been programmed to try advance, if possible.

So, I think that white Audi GT3 is looking for a way around the car in front of him...is his behavior amplified because of this new aggressiveness slider setting? Possibly. Once he realizes that he's not getting past anyone, it seems like he tries to get right back in line with the other cars that are following the single Kunos drawn best path. I think they call it "Fast_Lane.ai".

The AI are definitely more aggressive now, but what I mean by that is they aren't brainless wimps anymore. They want to pass and they will pass. Overall, I'm very happy with the new behavior.

Oh, I know it was wrong of me to assume anything. In my limited experience, I do see some general differences between the PC & Console players of Assetto Corsa. The Career Mode & Special Events come to mind. I think those things are significantly more important to console players. Please accept my apologies. I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else with my comments.

Also, I do consider all of us part of the same family. I often will say things like, "our console cousins" and I've tried to be as supportive as possible with almost every single issue console users have faced. Again, I don't mean any offense when saying "you guys". I guess it's just my way of directing my comments to either console players or PC players. I will report to Human Resources immediately. I'm sure my sensitivity training will start immediately. :embarrassed: :(

No offense taken and sorry if my response came out wrong. I do not have any problems with anyone saying "you guys" to distinguish players on different platforms. I merely found it a little funny within the context of track surface conditions. I mean, it's safe to assume everyone who posts here purchased AC because the simulation aspects hold a great deal of appeal. In my opinion, the possible cultural differences between PC and console players gets tossed around a bit too much on here. Don't we all remember how there was small uproar over the settings and basic features missing when the game released on consoles, and how the absence of track surface conditions left console players out to dry?

I can't say I've noticed any different behavioral patterns between PC and console players, but that's just me of course. For example, I'm on PS4 and I don't think I've used the career and special events more than once. Would I be more likely to complete these events because I'm on PS4? Despite all the console downsides we frequently discuss here, I have stuck with Playstation because I like the convenience of plug and play. I have played a handful of PC titles over the years, but with those I often find myself spending more time fiddling around with hardware settings and trying out mods than I do enjoying the games. Other than such differences, the platform of choice hasn't influenced how I play my games. At least not in relation to which features and settings I prefer.

I only wish the console version of AC had things like instant hot fixes and detailed patch notes. For example, instant hot fixes would probably mean that the worst client-side issues with custom lobbies were solved by now. Instead console players are left wondering when Kunos will submit another patch to the bureaucracies making up Sony and Microsoft's respective approval processes. I also dislike how we never know how far apart the PC and console versions are in terms of the small improvements and fixes always detailed in the patch notes for the PC version, but annoyingly left out of the console patch notes. I'm perfectly aware that some issues and fixes can be platform-specific, but in the absence of detailed patch notes on consoles there's reason to wonder how many undocumented changes there might have been in the previous update, or whether most of the small things were fixed at all. I keep finding new bugs nearly every time I start up the PS4 version, and I wouldn't be surprised if most of them have been ironed out or never existed in the PC version. I obviously do appreciate whenever the console gap gets closed feature-wise, but the cumbersome circumstances might just convert me into a PC player by the time AC2 arrives. In that case I would most likely keep playing AC with the same mindset I've had so far. :D

For example, I'm on PS4 and I don't think I've used the career and special events more than once. Would I be more likely to complete these events because I'm on PS4?

Speaking strictly from experience, yes. There's a whole thread on here where console players are talking about how to approach the different special events and career mode events, sharing their tips and results, it's many pages long. Conversely, if you were to only read threads from PC players you probably wouldn't even know that the career mode or special events exist because they are rarely discussed and I don't think many PC players do more than a couple of them before abandoning them altogether. I'm sure there are some PC players that do them, it's just not something that ever comes up in discussions. So, based purely on my non-scientific observations, console players seem to be far more likely to do the offline events than PC players.

Personally, I did maybe a half dozen career races way back in the early days and I don't believe I've ever done any of the special events, though with the new AI I am tempted to give them a go.

Always worth remembering ( the second comment )

Screenshot_20170522-185418.png

Also

Screenshot_20170522-185506.png

Speaking strictly from experience, yes. There's a whole thread on here where console players are talking about how to approach the different special events and career mode events, sharing their tips and results, it's many pages long. Conversely, if you were to only read threads from PC players you probably wouldn't even know that the career mode or special events exist because they are rarely discussed and I don't think many PC players do more than a couple of them before abandoning them altogether. I'm sure there are some PC players that do them, it's just not something that ever comes up in discussions. So, based purely on my non-scientific observations, console players seem to be far more likely to do the offline events than PC players.

Could it have something to do with how the main menu is arranged? It's really hard to miss the special events and career in the console version, but I say this without knowing how it's presented in the PC version.

Could it have something to do with how the main menu is arranged? It's really hard to miss the special events and career in the console version, but I say this without knowing how it's presented in the PC version.

No, it's just that PC players don't seem to really care about that stuff much. Especially ones who have been racing on PC for a long time, some have just outgrown the need for such a thing and some are even opposed to a career mode being in a sim at all. rF2 doesn't have one, R3E doesn't have one, Automobilista doesn't have one. But console players are used to a career or campaign that guides you through the game and gives you reason to play so it's what they look for. Not that I'm passing judgement in any way, this is just based on what I've seen from the PC community. And obviously there's plenty of exceptions.

No, it's just that PC players don't seem to really care about that stuff much. Especially ones who have been racing on PC for a long time, some have just outgrown the need for such a thing and some are even opposed to a career mode being in a sim at all. rF2 doesn't have one, R3E doesn't have one, Automobilista doesn't have one. But console players are used to a career or campaign that guides you through the game and gives you reason to play so it's what they look for. Not that I'm passing judgement in any way, this is just based on what I've seen from the PC community. And obviously there's plenty of exceptions.
I was very surprised. When I loaded AC for the first time, even though the number of cars in my garage was considerably smaller than my GT6 garage, that fact that I didn't have to do anything to gain access to a single car - they were all unlocked, there was nothing to "buy" like in GT6 - I went straight onto the track with the E92 M3 and began running laps and tweaking my FFB. Since there is nothing needed to "advance", like the license levels in GT6 which unlock higher levels and you have license tests that must be completed to gain access to the higher skilled, more lucrative races, there was little incentive to go into Career Mode. In GT6, if you wanted access to all of the cool cars you needed a bankroll. Some of those things were $20,000,000!

Like Brendan said, there certainly was no judgement directed toward those who do play and those who don't play the Career Mode/Special Events of AC. I've actually thought about it a lot and I've changed my mind a bit. I think I would like to see a really cool career mode in a future AC game on the PC. Nothing that limits my access to cars though. :lol: Maybe that could be one direction of the Career Mode - starting you off racing Abarth's or old Alfa Romeo GTA's, for instance.

I do agree with you @Nielsen - It would be nice if you guys could get change logs that are a bit more detailed than what is currently provided with each console upgrade. Even on the PC side there are often changes that aren't even hinted at in the official change log. It seems to be much less than what console players deal with though. It's not unusual for someone to post a message on the official forums like, "Hey...Does anyone notice the E92 M3 feels a bit different when you stomp on the brakes at high speeds now?" You'll get the usual responses, "You're an idiot. No." and "Seems the same to me..." and a few "Yes! It does..." and then finally Aristotelis will pop his head in and write, "Very observant!! We had Joe Blow from BMW at our offices last week and we were talking about blah blah blah and the way we were doing X wasn't completely correct. So, we adjusted Y very slightly...I'm surprised someone picked up on it this quickly. Good job."

That doesn't happen a lot - but things like that have happened. Another one that stands out to me...When the Japanese Pack came out, a day or two afterward someone brought up something about the rear wheels of the Mazda RX-7. I think they used the word "steering", which was grossly incorrect, and then Aris jumped in describing this tiny adjustment that occurs with the rear wheels. Under certain circumstances, there was like a 0.3 degree adjustment - I think opposite of the direction both front wheels were directed. It didn't happen every time. It only occurred under a certain set of circumstances.

I do remember it was only on the FD (the one in the sim) and not the FC. The FC had something different. Anyway, Aris mentioned how they were finally able to simulate this thing, but it was only in the stock RX-7, not the Tuned version. I guess he tracked down some retired Mazda engineer who designed it, or helped develop it (my mind is fuzzy..this is from a while back) because there just really wasn't a whole lot of documentation on it, surprisingly.

Now...Why the hell would you leave something like that out of the Changelog / Update Notes?! That's cool as 🤬 to know that they're even trying to incorporate very specific details like that in their cars. The Porsche 918 Spyder is another car that required a lot of undocumented work in order to simulate some of the advanced technology on that car, but I can understand that proprietary information will not be released, even in a general way.

EDIT: Here is a bit of Aris discussing that RX-7 stuff I described terribly up above. :lol: There is other stuff mentioned in a video and in other threads, but I can't recall which ones and it took me long enough to find this one, so just deal with it. :P

It's not an active rear steering. Simply put, there are bushings in the suspension that depending on the load, bend in one way or another, slightly steering the wheels about 0.3° against the front steering wheel angle if the g's are less than 0.5g, or at the same front steering wheel angle if the g forcers are superior to 0.5g
There is no way to simulate this with bump steer, you need the have both rear wheels steering to the same direction and the opposite depending on the load. We can now simulate this.

EDIT: since the effect is cool but not so precise (and passive) it is usually eliminated from tuned cars with harder bushings. As a matter of fact our tuned RX7 car doesn't have it. We did some homework ;)

On the contrary, R34 system is active. It turns the rear wheels differently depending on the front steer, g forces, yaw angles etc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just to clarify. The FC had massive amounts of passive rear steering (by massive I mean 1.5° degrees, always small) and was also actively promoted by marketing as it was the era's high achievement (copied by Porsche 928 system).

The FD (the one we simulate) has a much much MUCH more limited rear steering, just 0.3°...tiny. It wasn't even marketed by Mazda. But it adds a bit of character to the car. There's indeed a lot of confusion if you do the simple google search on the car about that rear steering. We obviously have some extra resources.

Back