Assetto corsa coming to PS4 and Xbox one

• Thread starter hennessey86
  • 10,511 comments
Well then you can tell me exactly why I was given permanent infraction points for posting a link to a site in a thread where the OP was talking about his possible plans to build an identical site (because he didn't know any existed)?.. It's the most logical thing in the world to post a link to a relevant site in that scenario. After I posted that link all I got was an abusive message from the mod (which was already waiting in my inbox with massive AUP violations) and the infraction points, after that silence when I asked why as the abusive message wasn't helpful in determining the cause. I have never had it explained (and asked a few times) and since you know I would love to know what happened there. I am serious, it has always confused me and I have always been quite curious so please explain it to me.
If you have an issue with an infraction you received then you will need to discuss it with either an Admin or Jordan.

I'll ignore the rest of what you wrote for now, you know full well I have said nothing of conspiracies.
Feel free to ignore it, feel free to carry on posting in the manner you have.

Just don't be surprised if you fall foul of the AUP should you continue to do so.

From a personal standpoint, I'm not too confident in AC at all. No weather, no time changes, a basic career mode and a paltry track list all signal warning signs for me.

My apprehension comes from getting burned on the highly hyped pCARS and just about any PC sim I've played which I've found to be a let down on a 'gamey' level. I still look forward to trying it but I'd be lying if I didn't say that the F1 2016 pre-order I've made isn't a 'safeguard' incase AC doesn't appeal to me.

EDIT: I meant Dynamic Weather, apologies. :)

I think people got burned on Project CARS because the developers went in too deep on features they weren't ready to support. The lack of features in AC actually gives me confidence that what we get has been fine tuned to provide a uniform sense of quality. At least that's what the PC community of AC has been emphasizing about the game for some time now, so let's hope this experience will translate to consoles. I can relate to concerns over the number of tracks and cars, but I'm prepared to cut them some slack for still being a relatively small team. The fun revolves around a refined driving experience and the great care that went into the limited content. Players who discover this appeal are probably too busy driving to dwell on things the game doesn't have. That said, AC has been catching up in various areas lately, so it's not quite the stiff simulator it once was.

I think people got burned on Project CARS because the developers went in too deep on features they weren't ready to support. The lack of features in AC actually gives me confidence that what we get has been fine tuned to provide a uniform sense of quality. At least that's what the PC community of AC has been emphasizing about the game for some time now, so let's hope this experience will translate to consoles. I can relate to concerns over the number of tracks and cars, but I'm prepared to cut them some slack for still being a relatively small team. The fun revolves around a refined driving experience and the great care that went into the limited content. Players who discover this appeal are probably too busy driving to dwell on things the game doesn't have. That said, AC has been catching up in various areas lately, so it's not quite the stiff simulator it once was.
A refined gaming experience is usually a lot more admirable to me than something expansive and incomplete so I completely agree with what you're saying. I'm looking forward to seeing what Kunos have managed!

Yes, this is exactly my point. Though it seems I am not allowed to discuss it anymore so I'll be brief. My whole point was that AC has so many obvious flaws, and you may well have discussed them over thousands of pages. BUT, overall the threads and comments are quite positive. GTS delivers an amazing driving experience also, I have played it twice and Inside Sim Racing has said the same. And I also believe that GTS is going for quality over quantity, it's what Kaz has said and it's obvious to me in what I have seen. So as far as I can tell, GTS has everything AC has but the GTS threads are very toxic, hate everywhere. Even though GTS not only has the driving experience AC has, but has far superior graphics, a lot more cars, a better offline, most likely a significantly better online etc. That is why I feel justified in saying that AC gets a free pass, because GTS has the same things going for it plus a whole lot more, but gets grilled on points that AC comes up far shorter on.

Remember that GTS is being complained about by people who played GT5/6 and that's what they're comparing it to. Based on that criteria GTS looks like a downgrade (on the surface). Also, and this is a generalization, the console players are generally a younger, less mature crowd who often like to be noisy. The people saying good things about AC are comparing it to PC sims like rF2 and R3E and while it's missing a few features compared to some PC sims the car/track counts are fairly similar and AC is the only one that has a career mode. It generally does most things as good or better than the other sims (rF2 players will argue otherwise but rF2 has plenty of issues of its own). Also, and this is a generalization, the PC players are usually a bit older and more mature so there's less complaining (still plenty of complaining/arguing though).

AC isn't perfect and I don't think anybody is trying to hide the fact that it's a little light on content and features compared to some console games. There has been plenty of criticism towards it (I've been as critical as anybody), just check any random AC thread on RaceDepartment and chances are it will devolve into an argument between the fanboys and haters. Hell, RD even penned the infamous "Open letter to Kunos" last year which was chock full of criticism. That being said, everything it does it does very well and despite its short-comings it manages to provide a very enjoyable and engrossing experience and it's virtually free of bugs/glitches. Those looking for "gamey" options or a typical console game will likely be disappointed at first, but for petrolheads that just love driving/racing virtual cars around laser-scanned tracks I think they'll find plenty to love about AC. You may see some of the omissions as flaws, but that's only when you're comparing to previous games that were jacks of all trades but masters of none. AC is a jack of some trades and it pretty much masters all of them. And, it has progressed leaps and bounds in the last year so there's no reason to think it won't continue to improve and have fewer and fewer "flaws". Will GTS be a better game? Possibly, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for both of them in the sim racers library. A lot of us were console racers in the past and we're just excited that you guys will finally get a taste of a proper PC sim.

Read this if you want your fill of AC criticism, but keep in mind of lot of the things being criticized have either been fixed or improved since then (but not all of them).

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/open-letter-to-kunos-simulazioni-and-the-community.102487/

Aren't open letters or petitions to game developers from entitled fans just the worst?

This thread seems quite calm and reasonable compared to the GTS one, but my view there, is that there seems to be a dispiriting tendency for positivity to be shouted down and ridiculed, by people claiming to be reasonable and balanced. It's kind of infuriating. And one or two seem to be very keen fans of AC.

Super depressing that. Especially when you have a pre-order and cant wait to play AC yourself.

Anyway, am I right in thinking that the UI now completely differs between PC and console...?
Are PC players ok with this, generally?

If you have an issue with an infraction you received then you will need to discuss it with either an Admin or Jordan.

Well you said you knew all about it so I asked you. You should also know that I previously have been in touch with Jordan and other admin (can't recall who) but they claim they lost the database so cannot investigate and also that it's too far in the past anyway (yet infraction points are never too far in the past and strangely survived the DB drop). Thus, since you know about it I need you to tell me what what happened as you are now the only person here who knows. I have considered that you might have been lying when you said you were 'well aware of my infraction history' but since this is against the AUP I know that can't be true. So please could you simply tell me? I dont understand what the issue is. Can you just tell me or at least tell me why you refuse? It's no big deal but would be a great mystery solved for me.

Feel free to ignore it, feel free to carry on posting in the manner you have.

Just don't be surprised if you fall foul of the AUP should you continue to do so.

Well I need some guidance on which part of the AUP I am falling foul of and where I did so. From what you have said in this thread I don't know what specifies the "manner you have". I don't recall any hate speech, no threats or harassment, no false information (unless you take what I say grossly out of context) etc. Even if you were correct and I was imagining conspiracies, I can't see anything in the AUP covering that either. Again, a little help?

What you wrote is an explanation. I am being persecuted because I say it exists. I agree there are reasons for the disparity in fan treatment of both games, maybe reasonable, maybe not, but my position here is that the disparity simply exists which the mod refutes.

Anyway, am I right in thinking that the UI now completely differs between PC and console...?

I think I recall the devs saying the UI would come to PC but I am not certain.

IThey were guys making simulator software for professionals and then they decided to move on and make a game.

You so often here this. But Stephano (I think that's his name) was talking about the start of Kunos and also about professional sims. They were just guys that made a game according to him, then after got hired to make something more serious at one stage I think. He learnt about making a sim while making NetKar (the game before AC), he talked about how he learnt about physics while playing with specific engineering software and just messing about. He certainly wasn't making pro sims.

Recently he was talking about the differences between PC sims and pro sims and he was saying that a guy who codes industry sims saw what AC was doing and said they don't bother with so much simulation detail, like detailed typre temperatures and such. According to Kunos's lead dev, PC gamers would be quite disappointed with real sims. So these claims you hear in the press are a bit weak when Kunos themselves are saying comercial sims aren't up to par.

Last edited:
but my view there, is that there seems to be a dispiriting tendency for positivity to be shouted down and ridiculed, by people claiming to be reasonable and balanced.

In America we call that "Fox News Syndrome". :lol: IIRC it was the same way back in the GT5/6 days. You had two camps, one that blindly loved everything GT and ignored its short-comings, and another camp that only focused on the negatives and couldn't appreciate any of the good qualities. Most threads in the General Discussion area would quickly devolve into arguments between these two camps. (By the way, the official AC forum is fairly similar to that now, except they tend to ban the most vocal of the haters so it's slowly being overrun by the fanboys who believe AC/Kunos can never do wrong).

Your are correct, console UI is and will remain different from the PC UI. I'm ok with it but personally I'd prefer the console UI based on what I've seen of it, or at least the option to toggle between which one we prefer. Hopefully a clever modder will be able to ape it for us (at least for the on-track HUD items).

I feel like i'm in a court session.

YOU SIR ARE OUT OF ORDER!!! OUT OF ORDER I SAY!!!

wpid-angry-judge.jpg

:lol:

You should also know that I previously have been in touch with Jordan and other admin (can't recall who) but they claim they lost the database so cannot investigate and also that it's too far in the past anyway (yet infraction points are never too far in the past and strangely survived the DB drop).
Hi there. I'm other admin.

I have one PM Conversation from you in the entire history of my Inbox, in which I made one post. Less my quotes of your specific comments, it looks like this:

Famine
(after a complaint about how moderation is handled)
Famine
We can. The post remains in its original location, but hidden from public view and flagged so staff can see it has been 'deleted'.
(after a question about whether deleted posts can be reviewed by other staff)

That's all of it. I don't have anything that says we lost any database or can't investigate anything. To clarify, both @Jordan and I can see every part of everyone's infraction history (where they have one), so neither of us would have told you that had we been asked - making this a very odd claim to make. Jordan did tell you he wouldn't review a 4 year old infraction but other than that...

You have also been told before exactly how to complain about moderator action. In fact it's part of the PM Conversation I just quoted up there:
Famine
But instead you're bringing it into the public. Again.

Please do not continue with this particular segue.

Getting back on topic:

People like me have owned AC on PC for one and a half years and know exactly what it is. Us being positive is completely different from a preproduction game being shown in its best light to a lucky few at trade events.

One big problem with pCARS community feedback was that the best bits during development gave us the sense that SMS had the potential to hit it out of the park, but then reality and deadlines got in the way. GTS is showing potential at this stage, whereas AC is a known and proven quantity with just the question of console specific bugs.

To me these are totally different places. And guys burned by pCARS and GT6 are wise to wait and see if the potential in GTS makes it through the stress of deadline. Guys wanting to understand AC value proposition have huge amounts of real end user info to go by.

(By the way, the official AC forum is fairly similar to that now, except they tend to ban the most vocal of the haters so it's slowly being overrun by the fanboys who believe AC/Kunos can never do wrong).

:lol:

project cars is very similar ..it has/had a group of teabags who did nothing but defend any criticism, they needed no mod intervention, these guys were defenders of the forum, look at this example...starts at page 11, patch never released on consoles to fix dlc nurb comb

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...ordschleife-Endurance-Content-Overview/page11

How come no one but Gamereactor has been showing gameplay footage of the near-finished console build? I'm referring to the two recent gameplay videos from the PS4 version. Was Gamereactor granted an exception before the embargo, or were they invited to an exclusive preview?

So, AC console version, anyone know whether it has been tested rigorously ? Does 505 Games doing the test / QC ? I will wait to get PS4 Neo, so AC will have to wait as well, just hope the console port won't be riddled with bugs, glitches, crashes and exploits. Probably will get GOTY edition if it ever comes sometimes down the line.

So, AC console version, anyone know whether it has been tested rigorously ? Does 505 Games doing the test / QC ? I will wait to get PS4 Neo, so AC will have to wait as well, just hope the console port won't be riddled with bugs, glitches, crashes and exploits. Probably will get GOTY edition if it ever comes sometimes down the line.
The only thing that's worrying me about the console release is screen tear. I can handle bugs and glitches and drops in frames here and there as that stuff can potentially be ironed out (or not, in pCARS' case lol). I just hope Kunos came to grips with the 2 consoles and optimised the hell out of the game.

They have a bit of an uphill battle against the console racer big boys as it is, so hopefully everything runs smoothly from day one so as not to give fanboys ammunition.

while the career mode isn't perfect it's also many times better than any Gran Turismo career.
Now I'm confused. I've heard repeatedly that the AC single player is basic and limited, and yet it's also many times better than GT3 (the best single player game I've ever played)? Please clarify.

Now I'm confused. I've heard repeatedly that the AC single player is basic and limited, and yet it's also many times better than GT3 (the best single player game I've ever played)? Please clarify.

It's been a while since I played GT3 so I don't remember how the career was structured. But IMO the careers of GT4/5/6 where you basically just started in the back and had a few laps to battle through rolling chicanes to catch the lead rabbit were pretty poor excuses for a "career mode". AC's career is similarly structured to the later GT careers but you have a standing start with fairly decent AI and you actually feel like you're doing a race and not just accomplishing a random task.

...back in the GT5/6 days. You had two camps, one that blindly loved everything GT and ignored its short-comings, and another camp that only focused on the negatives and couldn't appreciate any of the good qualities. Most threads in the General Discussion area would quickly devolve into arguments between these two camps.

Actually I think these kinds of assumptions are the problem. I'm new here, and yet I've had loads of people accuse me of being a hypocrite for saying x, cos 'you were all complaining about y before' or whatever. Nuance dies on the internet.

But anyway, the UI thing is interesting. I guess it has to be different for mouse/keyboard vs controller. Does PCars have the same thing or is it godawful for everyone? ;)

Actually I think these kinds of assumptions are the problem. I'm new here, and yet I've had loads of people accuse me of being a hypocrite for saying x, cos 'you were all complaining about y before' or whatever. Nuance dies on the internet.

Well, in the later days after GT6 came out, that literally describes a lot of the threads. The General Discussion section became incredibly toxic, eventually I vowed never to return.

But anyway, the UI thing is interesting. I guess it has to be different for mouse/keyboard vs controller. Does PCars have the same thing or is it godawful for everyone? ;)

Yes, controller needs a different interface than mouse/keyboard. I don't know about PCars, don't think I ever saw what the console UI looked like.

in the last cat hacked in, pretty sure stefano said they started w/ 70k budget and now around 2 million euros budget? so not sure how they would have a far bigger budget if they are losing money.

It's been a while since I played GT3 so I don't remember how the career was structured. But IMO the careers of GT4/5/6 where you basically just started in the back and had a few laps to battle through rolling chicanes to catch the lead rabbit were pretty poor excuses for a "career mode". AC's career is similarly structured to the later GT careers but you have a standing start with fairly decent AI and you actually feel like you're doing a race and not just accomplishing a random task.
GT3's sim mode was the standard GT setup that we've come to know, but had qualifying and standing starts in all races. GT3 also found the Goldilocks zone for number of events and event length and it utilized its car list very well. There were some flaws that derived from issues with contemporary hardware (mediocre AI, no dynamic weather) and game structure (oil deterioration, too many Test Course races), but overall it was outstanding.

GT4, by contrast, was decent, but taking away qualifying outside championships, and the sheer bulk and non-centralization of the game, really detracted from the game and I felt it was a large step back.

I don't know how AC compares (I know at the least that it's a different sort of setup and there's no in-game economy), but if it's anywhere near as engaging as GT3, it would be fantastic.

Last edited:
GT3's sim mode was the standard GT setup that we've come to know, but had qualifying and standing starts in all races. GT3 also found the Goldilocks zone for number of events and event length and it utilized its car list very well. There were some flaws that derived from issues with contemporary hardware (mediocre AI, no dynamic weather) and game structure (oil deterioration, too many Test Course races), but overall it was fantastic.

GT4, by contrast, was decent, but taking away qualifying outside championships, and the sheer bulk and non-centralization of the game, really detracted from the game and I felt it was a large step back.

I don't know how AC compares (I know at the least that it's a different sort of setup and there's no in-game economy), but if it's anywhere near as engaging as GT3, it would be fantastic.

From the sounds of it I think it would be similar to GT3. I honestly haven't played it much and haven't touched it in about a year so I don't remember if there's qualifying and such but they're all standing starts and you actually feel like you're racing instead of just overtaking slow-moving objects. For me, those two things alone make it at least a step better than the typical GT career. There's a medal system and you have to get a certain average to progress to next events (i.e. at least two silvers and a gold, or a one bronze, one silver, one gold, or one silver and two golds) so there is at least some sort of progression to it (unless that's changed in the last year). Yeah, there's no money or things to unlock besides future races, but the events are enjoyable and with the newly improved AI the whole career is probably better than ever. Plus there are other things like special events and time trials which can be fun. There's certainly enough there to keep offline players busy for a while, and if custom championships make it in the replay value will be infinite. 👍

Well you said you knew all about it so I asked you. You should also know that I previously have been in touch with Jordan and other admin (can't recall who) but they claim they lost the database so cannot investigate and also that it's too far in the past anyway (yet infraction points are never too far in the past and strangely survived the DB drop). Thus, since you know about it I need you to tell me what what happened as you are now the only person here who knows. I have considered that you might have been lying when you said you were 'well aware of my infraction history' but since this is against the AUP I know that can't be true. So please could you simply tell me? I dont understand what the issue is. Can you just tell me or at least tell me why you refuse? It's no big deal but would be a great mystery solved for me.
As @Famine has already said, this is totally untrue. I have just reviewed your entire infraction history, and not a bit of it is missing (despite crossing multiple versions of GTP).

Given that all the evidence would point to this being a fabrication on your part, you attempting to use the AUP to force me to discuss moderation would seem to be rather ironic.

Well I need some guidance on which part of the AUP I am falling foul of and where I did so. From what you have said in this thread I don't know what specifies the "manner you have". I don't recall any hate speech, no threats or harassment, no false information (unless you take what I say grossly out of context) etc. Even if you were correct and I was imagining conspiracies, I can't see anything in the AUP covering that either. Again, a little help?
I've already explained it quite plainly to you twice, you simply refuse to accept you are doing it.

As such right now its a toss up as to which will see you banned first, the fantasy above or your refusal to see exactly how you are posting.

I've heard repeatedly that the AC single player is basic and limited.
That's how I would describe it. I haven't played it in a loooong time though, so it could be better now.

I remember having a lot of fun with the career in GT5 actually. I loved the licence tests for example. I wish those could be included in AC, because what better game to learn how to drive properly in? Ok, there was grinding and there was rabbit chasing, but the whole thing was fun none the less.

Anyway, I think I'll go as far as to say that if you like (gamey) career modes in similar games, you most likely will be disappointed in - or at best underwhelmed by - the career mode in AC. You have been warned! :)

I think almost none of us plays career mode no? It's just way too much fun hotlapping, tuning setups, setting up your own race weekend or playing online.

I gave it a go but only got halfway and never touched it again. IMO a career mode is pretty useless if there's no goodies to unlock or progress to be made. But as illustrated above that is no big loss as that's not really what AC is about.

If I have AC, most likely I would just drive alone, doing setups with occasional online lobby track day sessions or seasonal races, like I do in GT6 for the most part of 145k km, 25k alone at Tsukuba :D

If I have AC, most likely I would just drive alone, doing setups with occasional online lobby track day sessions or seasonal races, like I do in GT6 for the most part of 145k km, 25k alone at Tsukuba :D
Yup first thing you need to do on street cars is change from semi slicks to street tyres and turn TC off :P
Setup tweaking is quite realistic and very engaging. My go to testing track is Tsukuba also by the way 👍

Just know that you won't be able to do your usual tuning of adding/removing parts to hit a particular spec. Depending on the car you can adjust what's already there but you can't add/remove anything.

That's how I would describe it. I haven't played it in a loooong time though, so it could be better now.

I remember having a lot of fun with the career in GT5 actually. I loved the licence tests for example. I wish those could be included in AC, because what better game to learn how to drive properly in? Ok, there was grinding and there was rabbit chasing, but the whole thing was fun none the less.

Anyway, I think I'll go as far as to say that if you like (gamey) career modes in similar games, you most likely will be disappointed in - or at best underwhelmed by - the career mode in AC. You have been warned! :)
I went about a year before I really touched pCARS' career mode so I think I'll be fine with AC :sly:

Back