Assetto Corsa | News and General Discussion

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 10,320 comments
Oh, that's why.

PCars 2?

Out of curiosity, what kind of cars would you like seeing introduced?
My guess is Brandon is content with the cars we have now. Why more when there are many unfinished aspects of Assetto Corsa? I don't blame him for feeling this way. Heck, you've been with AC since early release, Brandon? That's a LONG time.

I hear what you're saying Brandon. How much time can one spend on a racing sim each week? Even the hardcore among us (mostly single people) with gobs of free time, how many different cars are you going to drive in a 5 hour session? I'm a complete loser so I have tons of free time. ;) Still, if you want to get any meaningful driving in you need to spend a good amount of time with a car. 99.9% of my racing/track days are offline due to my health, so I just like to see totally random grids all the time. I'm sure the vast majority of people who like to race online with their friends will be jumping over to PCars 2 very quickly as pC2 is the new hotness, for sure. 18-24 months from now AC2 or another sim will be the flavor of the month and around and around we go.

Don't get me wrong, not saying my opinion applies to anyone other than me or that anyone should agree with my apathy for the Ferrari pack. I'm sure lots of people will love driving these cars lap after lap, I'm just not one of them.

Frankly, I think it's awesome that we have as many good sims as we do.

We do? I'm three years in and I have yet to find one I'd consider really good. :lol: Most are just past the proof of concept stage IMO, or as one blog calls them, the "eternal science projects".

Out of curiosity, what kind of cars would you like seeing introduced?

Cars that have competitors in the game! So tired of one-make races, just want some of the classes rounded out so we can actually have multi-car grids that aren't GT cars.

My guess is Brandon is content with the cars we have now. Why more when there are many unfinished aspects of Assetto Corsa? I don't blame him for feeling this way. Heck, you've been with AC since early release, Brandon? That's a LONG time.

Not content at all, so many cars in the game need playmates! But I've given up on that happening. And yes, I joined the last couple months of early access.

Hopefully PCars 2 will be the answer you've been looking for, Brandon. I haven't been spending as much time online over the last few months, but I've tried to listen to mister dog & JohnnyP and other people who's opinions I respect. I have a feeling I will be spending time on PCars 2 fairly soon.

Why aren't we witnessing any excitement over the Ferrari pack here?

Well, I can't wait to have the 288 GTO, which may become my favorite car in the game. I'm also excited for the 250 GTO and 330 P4. While I may not drive these two all the time, they sure will some bring some candy to my track days. I'm not overly fussed about the rest, but all interesting cars deserving of at least one try. Too bad I'm on PS4 though. :nervous:

If this is meh, then I don't know what isn't. Even though one might not drive them all around the earth four times, there are some absolute legends in this pack. The Ferrari lineup in AC has been quite underwhelming until today, and I also think this DLC marks a shift to a seriously impressive car list overall. It also adds some much needed counterbalance after the three Porsche packs, although we would have liked to see a bit more in terms of direct competition.

Last edited:
although we would have liked to see a bit more in terms of direct competition.

Exactly. I love the vintage Ferraris, I'm actually a Ferrari fan in general, they just don't fit with my current desires and even though I'll buy the pack I have zero excitement about it. Probably ~70% of my three years on AC has consisted of driving one car around an empty race track, I'm just utterly bored with it and most of these cars are really only good for more of the same IMO. Two years ago I would have been stoked to drive these virtual beauties around the Nords or the Pacific Coast, but now I just want to race in a field with more than one-make of car (that isn't GT2/3/E) and this DLC is just a reminder that AC really isn't the place for that type of thing. I doubt PCars2 will be god's gift to sim racing but (presuming it's not a turd) it certainly looks like it's going to scratch a lot of my itches that have been itching for several years now.

Again, just my opinion, not saying anyone should agree with it or that people with a different opinion are wrong. I wish I could be excited about the Fezzas, I'm just not.

Check back after you've been hot lapping random cars in AC for three years and see if your opinion has changed. :sly: Don't get me wrong, I love most of those cars and I'll take them all for a spin, they just don't really fit with my current sim racing desires and don't really fit with any of the current cars in the game. Plus there's an above average chance that after this week my AC time will be greatly reduced anyway.
I tend to do track days or race with the new AI, track days with road cars and race with race cars. I'm not gonna get bored with that and if I do no car pack will change that much beyond a week or too. The secret is to not put too many hours in. I'd like to see some fully fledged race series ( that isn't GT3) but I still want more cars, more Ferrari cars.

Exactly. I love the vintage Ferraris, I'm actually a Ferrari fan in general, they just don't fit with my current desires and even though I'll buy the pack I have zero excitement about it.

Fair enough, but Ferrari fan not remotely excited about Ferrari car pack in one of the best driving simulators on the market? Come on.

Probably ~70% of my three years on AC has consisted of driving one car around an empty race track, I'm just utterly bored with it and most of these cars are really only good for more of the same IMO.

Maybe it's time to reconsider your refusal to try certain cars? I was sceptical about RTR but most of the cars opened my eyes in a good way. So many different driving experiences making me appreciate AC's scope beyond my personal preferences.

Anyway, I have spent most of my AC hours in the same way over the past year. Thankfully, I'm still experiencing a persistent urge to turn a few laps every now and then. More choice and variety for that purpose is welcomed, especially when several Ferrari classics are involved.

Two years ago I would have been stoked to drive these virtual beauties around the Nords or the Pacific Coast, but now I just want to race in a field with more than one-make of car (that isn't GT2/3/E) and this DLC is just a reminder that AC really isn't the place for that type of thing. I doubt PCars2 will be god's gift to sim racing but (presuming it's not a turd) it certainly looks like it's going to scratch a lot of my itches that have been itching for several years now.

Personally, I'm worried that Project CARS 2 physics won't convince me to accept it as the fleshed out racing alternative to AC. That said, no doubt it will address actual racing in ways AC doesn't.

I tend to do track days or race with the new AI, track days with road cars and race with race cars. I'm not gonna get bored with that and if I do no car pack will change that much beyond a week or too. The secret is to not put too many hours in. I'd like to see some fully fledged race series ( that isn't GT3) but I still want more cars, more Ferrari cars.

Indeed, track days are a great alternative to solo practice. There's nearly always some unpredictable fun lurking around every corner. Even better with the new AI.

Fair enough, but Ferrari fan not remotely excited about Ferrari car pack in one of the best driving simulators on the market? Come on.

Hard to believe, but it's true. Probably even more hard to believe that F1 is my religion yet I have zero desire to drive either of the modern F1 cars in this pack. Even stranger, I am planning to pick up F1 2017 when I see it on sale and have lots of fun with it, yet I doubt I'll drive the Kunos version more than once. Having that car in AC just makes no sense to me at all.

Maybe it's time to reconsider your refusal to try certain cars?

I don't refuse to try cars. Every DLC pack I usually drive each car at least once, but more times than not that's the only time I drive some of them. Even if they're great to drive, some of them just don't interest me or I just have no need for them. I'm at the point where driving a car around on an empty track just isn't that entertaining any more, I've been doing it for the better part of 10 years now and I'm tired of it. And most of the tracks in AC I've been driving on for many years........bored with them, so bored. Sure, there's mod tracks, but a lot of them are rubbish or tracks I've never heard of before or don't have much interest in.

Anyway, I have spent most of my AC hours in the same way over the past year. Thankfully, I'm still experiencing a persistent urge to turn a few laps every now and then. More choice and variety for that purpose is welcomed, especially when several Ferrari classics are involved.

For years, even before I moved to PC, I generally got on the rig right after work most nights for at least an hour or two. For the 5 years of GT5 I was literally on that game doing something for 99% of those days (I think I had a two year streak of being on it every day). Not sure if it's due to age or just my general dissatisfaction at the current state of sim racing but that persistent urge seems to have finally left me, or at least taken a holiday. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've been on my rig in the last month.

Personally, I'm worried that Project CARS 2 physics won't convince me to accept it as the fleshed out racing alternative to AC. That said, no doubt it will address actual racing in ways AC doesn't.

I don't expect it to "feel" as good as AC but I'm hopefully that the plethora of things it does that AC doesn't will be enough to balance it out for the better (for my needs and desires). I just need some fun injected back into my sim racing, hopefully it can accomplish that even if the simulation value isn't cranked up to the majorly extreme.

AC just feels better connected between what the wheel is doing to what the car is doing. PCars 1 even playing with the FFB a lot never got to that point and some of the effects from environments were just too exaggerated. I hope PCars2 addresses most of that. The track and car list is too good to not try it. I also hope the AI is better. I still feel like I get better racing experiences from old games like rFactor or GTR2/GT Legends in terms of AI behavior. Weird that in AC AI can race each other ok, but not with you.

Hard to believe, but it's true. Probably even more hard to believe that F1 is my religion yet I have zero desire to drive either of the modern F1 cars in this pack. Even stranger, I am planning to pick up F1 2017 when I see it on sale and have lots of fun with it, yet I doubt I'll drive the Kunos version more than once. Having that car in AC just makes no sense to me at all.

There are generally too many Ferrari F1 cars in AC, no doubt, and voters were silly for making it win the poll. However, it doesn't stop me from enjoying those machines every once in a while. We're paying extra for this content after all. Last week I tried the SF70H and F2004 in F1 2017, and I honestly didn't enjoy it very much. It may be a decent F1 racing simulation, but my first few solo laps in AC's F138 and SF15-T were immediately fun and intuitive to me.

I don't refuse to try cars. Every DLC pack I usually drive each car at least once, but more times than not that's the only time I drive some of them. Even if they're great to drive, some of them just don't interest me or I just have no need for them. I'm at the point where driving a car around on an empty track just isn't that entertaining any more, I've been doing it for the better part of 10 years now and I'm tired of it. And most of the tracks in AC I've been driving on for many years........bored with them, so bored. Sure, there's mod tracks, but a lot of them are rubbish or tracks I've never heard of before or don't have much interest in.

Ok, I brought it up because you on the previous page implied you wouldn't. Not that anyone's playing style is my business, but it was just an idea after your comments on the longevity of hot lapping the same old tracks and cars.

For years, even before I moved to PC, I generally got on the rig right after work most nights for at least an hour or two. For the 5 years of GT5 I was literally on that game doing something for 99% of those days (I think I had a two year streak of being on it every day). Not sure if it's due to age or just my general dissatisfaction at the current state of sim racing but that persistent urge seems to have finally left me, or at least taken a holiday. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've been on my rig in the last month.

I also spent a lot of time on GT5, mostly thanks to it having one of the best custom lobby systems I have used in the genre. It was so easy to get online and make new multiplayer friends. However, games like Gran Turismo and Forza didn't meet several of my most basic requirements for a racing game. AC mostly does meet those requirements and in some cases it even exceeds my expectations. I'm finding it wonderful that there's a developer researching cars so deeply that I can enjoy a Ferrari 250 GTO in my living room and feel totally convinced about it afterwards.

I don't expect it to "feel" as good as AC but I'm hopefully that the plethora of things it does that AC doesn't will be enough to balance it out for the better (for my needs and desires). I just need some fun injected back into my sim racing, hopefully it can accomplish that even if the simulation value isn't cranked up to the majorly extreme.

Granted it's good like the reviews suggest so far, something new and different probably doesn't hurt in your situation. Just please don't "meh" the Ferrari DLC like it's nothing. :lol: Some of us here are dying to have it but cannot thanks to consoles... :ill:

However, games like Gran Turismo and Forza didn't meet several of my most basic requirements for a racing game. AC mostly does meet those requirements and in some cases it even exceeds my expectations.

It only meets two of mine, it feels good to drive and has stable netcode. Falls flat on all my other requirements. GT met most of my other requirements but fell flat on the driving feel and stable online experience.

Granted it's good like the reviews suggest so far, something new and different probably doesn't hurt in your situation. Just please don't "meh" the Ferrari DLC like it's nothing. :lol: Some of us here are dying to have it but cannot thanks to consoles... :ill:

Meh. :P

It only meets two of mine, it feels good to drive and has stable netcode. Falls flat on all my other requirements. GT met most of my other requirements but fell flat on the driving feel and stable online experience.

My biggest gripe with GT is that it doesn't allow me to customize the experience. The online lobbies did offer a fair amount of control, but in singleplayer I always had to deal with stupid design choices. Physics felt pretty good for its time and hardware, but the car simulation was limited to overall handling characteristics. The latter may be excusable with +800 cars, but who even cares about so much content. The progression system was basic despite not being completely bare bones, but overall I have become tired of artificial careers, so not even that can lure me into Project CARS 2. Most of these experiences also apply to the time I have spent with Forza. I just want to drive and have control over the little things like opponent cars, and AC has steadily come to suit those needs better than GT and Forza ever gave me reason to hope for. Oh, it's also an irreversible bonus how AC drives as realistically as it does from car to car. Even the AI now works in AC's favor too.

:mad:

Nice video Brandon. 👍 Holy crap that 250 GTO is a handful. Even doing the Nordschleife at a quick & reasonable pace...not trying to set your best possible lap time - if you aren't gentle on that pedal in 2nd gear -> 3rd gear you are going to get a great arm workout. :D I had a lot of fun in 'er. So much so that I haven't driven a single other car yet. Just throwing miles on my 250 GTO odometer to devalue it as much as possible. ;) Always in car #22.

Hopefully tonight I have some time to take the exclusive 250GTO to Germany and release it at Nürnburg. Then I will buy a ticket for the Tourist Nordschleife. Aaaah sometimes you wish you had more time for your hobbies in stead of working....
Yesterday during a short two hour stint already tried the Ferrari classics at Greenwood, classic Monza and even Black Cat County.

Holy crap that 250 GTO is a handful.
Yes, it reminds me a bit of the Maserati 250F actually. You really have to manouver that thing.
The star of the pack for me is the 330 P4. It's everything I hoped it would be. Wonderfully balanced, just slides like a breeze through the corners. And the sound ...
The 312 is also wonderful. I seem to have a thing for cigars.

@BrainsBush
"Aaaah sometimes you wish you had more time for your hobbies in stead of working...."
Always man... (Provided we win the lottery or have some kind of a good stable income)!!! :cheers:

Did anyone else get the optional rocket boosters fitted to their 330?

v.png

No really, had some really good fun with the 330 P4 at Goodwood Circuit, and at Vallelunga.

Is it possible to disable automatic rev-matching (auto blip) on cars having this feature from factory? So far I haven't found a way. I have previously talked about getting strange engine revs when downshifting the Nissan Skyline R34. In this car I'm always getting a little automatic blip, but it's like it doesn't match the revs properly compared to other cars using the feature. However, I have seen videos where people drive this car without any throttle blipping showing up in the HUD on downshifts. What's the secret?

Apparently these are the free cars coming in the Laguna Seca DLC.

Alfa Romeo Guila QV
Alfa Romeo Stradale 33
Maserati Quattroporte
Lamborghini Sesto Elemento
Lamborghini Huracan Performante
Pagani Huayra BC
just came here to post that, and all I can say is HOLY ****! I always hoped they would add the Sesto but didn't think they would. What a damn pack!

Edit: I hope the Quattroporte is the older one and not the current bore. I very much doubt it though.

Back