Assetto Corsa PC Mods General DiscussionPC 

• Thread starter Paiky
  • 129,743 comments
Which is the best way to record an AI line? With a fast car or a slow car? I'm aiming to have races with a wide range of cars from the inter-war period (1919-1939), and their performance level varies greatly. So in theory I could record an AI line with something really slow (like Gary Patterson's Ligier JS8) just to show the AI where they need to go? If speed isn't relevant when recording.

Exactly, speed does not matter, the ai line is not a "ghost lap".

In fact, it is recommended to do it as slowly as possible

To give you a basic idea of how to make an ai line, keep this factor in mind:

The older the car the ai line has to go to the center of the track, modern cars that (above all) brake well, tighter to the curve, for example with a modern f1 you can adjust the curves almost to the maximum, but that line wouldn't fit a car from the 60s-80s. To make an ai line in good conditions you need yes or yes a steering wheel, an ai recorded with a gamepad considers any turn as if you turned the steering wheel completely and this greatly affects the ai, one of the particularities that the assetto corsa ai has to draw curves is the turn of the steering wheel that you apply, the more turn of the steering wheel the slower the curve will do.
I've condensed these quotes down to try improve aesthetics but there's a lot wrong with the above:

1) It's 'technically' true that speed doesn't matter during an AI lap recording. However if you drive slowly then while you'll usually end up with a reliable AI line, it'll be slow as hell. This is simply down to the fact that a racing line at full race speed is different to what you imagine it is when you're driving along slowly. Small subtleties such as how far a car drifts out from the apex when exiting a corner at full throttle aren't captured and you'll find that the AI will be several seconds a lap off their potential pace if you use this method. I've tested this extensively and if you want a fast, competitive AI line then you need to record at maximum speed.

2) The type of car you use is in most cases pretty much an irrelevance. The best driving line for a circuit might well change between a modern F1 car and a 1950s F1 car, but the crux is that you're trying to shorten the distance driven and maximise the speed, factors that apply across every type of car. The key is to record your AI line in a car that you're comfortable driving smoothly at the limit. You're unlikely to create a good AI line using a Maserati 250F, as the nature of such a car means you're constantly making small adjustments to your steering and throttle inputs to keep the car behaving as you want. Something like a modern TCR or GT3 car is a far better option as they're easy to drive smoothly and quickly. Just remember that how different cars drive your recorded line is down to the ai.ini file in the car data folder. It's that file that has a modern F1 car braking at the 50m marker while a 1950s F1 car starts to brake at the 200m marker. Also remember that the default Kunos content is very diverse and all runs fine based on one universal AI line per track.

3) Your actual inputs in recording an AI line are completely irrelevant, it is only the line that matters. The reason you should use a steering wheel if possible is that you'll be smoother and faster. I've just done a test using an Xbox controller to set an AI line using maximum steering inputs where possible. It makes no difference, they just follow the recorded line, none of the AI was at full lock or doing anything stupid.

To summarise:

• Choose a car that you're comfortable driving smooth and fast
  • Set a fast, smooth and clean lap
  • Make sure the AI sidelines are setup correctly (https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ai-line-helper.16016/)
  • Add AI hints to any problem areas, examples include bumpy braking areas needing an earlier brake hint, sharp crests needing a maximum speed hint to stop fast cars going airborne, chicanes needing hints to slow cars to avoid accidents etc.
  • Make sure the cars you use have correctly setup ai.ini files in their data, use Kunos content as a benchmark.

If the two windshields are done correctly (one with the normals facing one way and the second one with the normals facing the opposite way) there should be no flickering. My best bet is that they both have the same normals orientation
I have heard that with CSP the normals should face the same way. Is that right or not?

Way yes, easy no.

BTW if you talk about the Bahrain version of Lavalamp i made a set cams for all layouts
It's in a folder called bahrain_2020 (txt file says v1.12), not sure where that came from but probably here at some point. I think the Lavalamp version is bahrain_international_circuit. I can't remember why but picked the 2020 version to use so your cams probably won't work?

It's in a folder called bahrain_2020 (txt file says v1.12), not sure where that came from but probably here at some point. I think the Lavalamp version is bahrain_international_circuit. I can't remember why but picked the 2020 version to use so your cams probably won't work?
Probably not, unless the track are the same and based on the same conversion. If they are the same they can work, but if even the track is placed differently in the 3D space they wont work

I have a tiny problem with CM. I used to have these little pop-up-preview-pictures of cars when hovering the mouse over a car while going trough the list most used cars in the CM's result section. I was very nice. At some point CM updated and those pop-ups disappeared. Other pop-ups are still there, when selecting a car etc.

I tried some older version of CM and the missing pop-ups returned. Of course if I want to keep them, I can't update the CM.

So: does anyone know is there a tick-box for those previews in CM-settings? If there is, I have had no luck finding it so far.

How to complicate the Monaco difficulty x3? easy, add a million flowerpots, parked cars, signs in the middle, and lots of rain haha

This difficulty can be multiplied x5 by also adding car traffic in both directions

Roadside traffic is awesome! Cool video and map!

ACTK Lancia Stratos Gr4 v1.3
Update shaders
Update LOD
Add Shaking Exhaust
Add Brakedisc FX
Add Fake shadows FX
Add Tyres FX

Screenshot_actk_lancia_stratos_gr4_spa_21-11-120-1-14-49.jpg
Can you also upgrade tires from v7 to v10?

Credit even for a small part is always deserved ;)
Do you know where these cranes models came from ?
Yes, sx_lemans. They have textures separated for you can easily update. Also, will take me only a minute if you send me a pic on what you want. I was also thinking there are better texture ideas for the Marshall stand ads to replace ’tango’. I just didn’t have the imagination.

Yes, sx_lemans. They have textures separated for you can easily update. Also, will take me only a minute if you send me a pic on what you want. I was also thinking there are better texture ideas for the Marshall stand ads to replace ’tango’. I just didn’t have the imagination.
Ah I didn't think about looking into sx_lemans ! Nice ones !
I already replaced the tango logo with a more generic texture ;)
And I am thinking about replacing the roofs too to match better the ones in Zandvoort IRL
We can see these in this video (which I used a lot)

I've condensed these quotes down to try improve aesthetics but there's a lot wrong with the above:

1) It's 'technically' true that speed doesn't matter during an AI lap recording. However if you drive slowly then while you'll usually end up with a reliable AI line, it'll be slow as hell. This is simply down to the fact that a racing line at full race speed is different to what you imagine it is when you're driving along slowly. Small subtleties such as how far a car drifts out from the apex when exiting a corner at full throttle aren't captured and you'll find that the AI will be several seconds a lap off their potential pace if you use this method. I've tested this extensively and if you want a fast, competitive AI line then you need to record at maximum speed.

2) The type of car you use is in most cases pretty much an irrelevance. The best driving line for a circuit might well change between a modern F1 car and a 1950s F1 car, but the crux is that you're trying to shorten the distance driven and maximise the speed, factors that apply across every type of car. The key is to record your AI line in a car that you're comfortable driving smoothly at the limit. You're unlikely to create a good AI line using a Maserati 250F, as the nature of such a car means you're constantly making small adjustments to your steering and throttle inputs to keep the car behaving as you want. Something like a modern TCR or GT3 car is a far better option as they're easy to drive smoothly and quickly. Just remember that how different cars drive your recorded line is down to the ai.ini file in the car data folder. It's that file that has a modern F1 car braking at the 50m marker while a 1950s F1 car starts to brake at the 200m marker. Also remember that the default Kunos content is very diverse and all runs fine based on one universal AI line per track.

3) Your actual inputs in recording an AI line are completely irrelevant, it is only the line that matters. The reason you should use a steering wheel if possible is that you'll be smoother and faster. I've just done a test using an Xbox controller to set an AI line using maximum steering inputs where possible. It makes no difference, they just follow the recorded line, none of the AI was at full lock or doing anything stupid.

To summarise:

• Make sure the AI sidelines are setup correctly (https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ai-line-helper.16016/)
  • Add AI hints to any problem areas, examples include bumpy braking areas needing an earlier brake hint, sharp crests needing a maximum speed hint to stop fast cars going airborne, chicanes needing hints to slow cars to avoid accidents etc.
  • Make sure the cars you use have correctly setup ai.ini files in their data, use Kunos content as a benchmark.
This +1

All of the above are relevant and true... I was going to say the same things!

To summarise:

To summarise:

Very good guidelines. On majority of tracks I have my own AI created in line with those.
What I noticed is that sidelines are particulary important and relevant to the AI behaviour. Sometimes even best competitive AI will be lost without proper sidelines so it should be seen together with hints as total package.

I already have a beta version almost ready, it is going to include all these new things.

c7a914af95e7f0d89be0c961515261f6o.jpg

But now is really when I am going to work on this map, all that I have not modified so far is because I am going to do it from scratch or almost, because sadly although the geometry is extracted from google data, the buildings are very poorly positioned, nothing to do with real life, I am going to correct this because I want to enlarge (much more) the map.
Awesome Very much looking forward to it!

Been lurking for some time and appreciative of everyone's work. Thought I'd share what I've been working on. First mod. It works in showroom fine, but still a lot of work to do to get it on the track... Any pointers on splitting off nodes to make them AC compatible using 3DS Max or 3DSIMED?
Hi.

I'm just curious, will you share your work with the community?

Very good guidelines. On majority of tracks I have my own AI created in line with those.
What I noticed is that sidelines are particulary important and relevant to the AI behaviour. Sometimes even best competitive AI will be lost without proper sidelines so it should be seen together with hints as total package.
Yes... some tracks need sides

I have a tiny problem with CM. I used to have these little pop-up-preview-pictures of cars when hovering the mouse over a car while going trough the list most used cars in the CM's result section. I was very nice. At some point CM updated and those pop-ups disappeared. Other pop-ups are still there, when selecting a car etc.

I tried some older version of CM and the missing pop-ups returned. Of course if I want to keep them, I can't update the CM.

So: does anyone know is there a tick-box for those previews in CM-settings? If there is, I have had no luck finding it so far.
In CM, go to Settings > Content Manager > Content > check 'Show Car Previews in Tooltips'

ZANDVOORT 2020 v2.0

Hello guys, a lot of people contact me for a problem with this track.
There is a problem with Lap Timer in the pits or something like that the number of lap :

For example : "the virtual lap time line does not go into the pits so that by going through the pits for the stops your lap does not count so with two stops instead of doing 72 laps we made 74 towers. "

Other people have seen the same problem ???

and "The drs zones are badly configured as well"

Can you explain this to me please ?

241175022_1439038399809582_2154320153458627774_n.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
I can upload that for you tomorrow if I've still got it, but Fuzo has made a much better one since then, which perhaps hasn't been officially released yet.
Edit: maybe the first one is on Assettoland?
Its not on assettoland sadly, thanks for upload, do you now how is fuzo's Megane developement going?

Sharing a mod? Host it on GTPlanet Downloads. Free, public hosting for files up to 10GB in size.
Back