Association Football Trivia Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 2,675 comments
Edit: In fact, a quick GTP search allows daan to tell us himself :D

So 6-6 and Motherwell/Hibs, ?/? and ?/? - no more Scots though, 'cos daan said 6-6 beat the previous high score record of 6-5, also with Motherwell playing.
Yep, that's one of them. The other 2 6-6 draws are from the English leagues and I only found out about them via wiki.

The tension was killing me so I Wiki'ed it. I won't say the answers though.

Go for it. If it's a particularily tough question then research is permitted. And with two from three, it would be your turn, too!

Go for it. If it's a particularily tough question then research is permitted. And with two from three, it would be your turn, too!
I don't want to ruin it for others though. I'll leave it for now.

Here we are with the other 2.

Highest scoring draw: 6–6, joint record:

Leicester City 6–6 Arsenal (First Division, 21 April 1930)
Charlton Athletic 6–6 Middlesbrough (Second Division, 22 October 1960)

Just to keep the thread going, here's a staple football quiz question.

Name the only league club in Britain to have a J in their name?

I was going to suggest Arsenal or Everton would be one of the teams.

St. Johnstone - the Super Js :D

To keep this going....

Name the 4 English Premier and Football League club whose names start and end with the same letter? And also name the 5 Scottish League clubs whose names also start and end with the same letter.

(I'm looking for the clubs full name. i.e. Alloa doesn't count as their name is Alloa Athletic.)

There's five league clubs now :D

They're:
Liverpool
Aston Villa
Charlton Athletic
Northampton Town
York City (promoted yesterday to Football League 2)

Kilmarnock
Dundee United
East Fife
East Stirlingshire

I don't count Celtic 'cos they're either called "Glasgow Celtic" or "The Celtic FC".

Ah, hadn't realised York was back up.

Well, Celtic FC is still right... :D

Four English league teams have four of the same letter in their given name (excluding the words "football club" or letters "FC") - quick example from Spain, Real Zaragoza has four "A"s.

Name them.

I can think of three but the other just won't come to me. I bet it's one I should have really got too.:dopey:

After a quick look at the league tables I know what team I missed and why but I'll leave it for someone to get them without cheating.:sly:

Only one I can think of is Sheffield Wendesday.

Interestingly though Crewe Alexandra has three E's and A's.

EDIT: And I don't know if the Blue Square Premier counts but Ebbsfleet United would also have 4 E's.

EDIT II: Not sure if this is the proper name of the club but it's worth a shot. Dagenham and Redbridge United. Again with 4 E's.

EDIT III: If all of mine are valid I think I win.

Tottenham Hotspur; 4 T's, someone else found that.
Sheffield Wendesday; 4 E's.
Ebbsfleet United; 4 E's plays in BSP.
Dagenham and Redbridge United. (Could be wrong name.); 4 E's.

Also since doing that I found out a club around and including the Blue Square Leagues that has 5 of a certain letter in its name.

Last edited:
BSP doesn't count, and I don't think D&R are a United.

However, Millwall fits and is probably the shortest team name with 4 letters the same.

daan
BSP doesn't count, and I don't think D&R are a United.

However, Millwall fits and is probably the shortest team name with 4 letters the same.

Hah, half the letters are the same :dopey:

Anyway, so that's Millwall, Sheff Wed, And Spurs for certain. Now to find the last :)

Dagenham and Redbridge has four Ds if you include the "and" but maybe Famine has another team, I couldn't come up with another though.:sly:

ASH32
Dagenham and Redbridge has four Ds if you include the "and" but maybe Famine has another team, I couldn't come up with another though.:sly:

Haha, turns out I accidentally revealed something. That should be that then right?

Haha, turns out I accidentally revealed something. That should be that then right?

I don't know.:dopey: I had Spurs, Millwall and Sheff Wed pretty quick and then I couldn't think of anymore so I looked on the skysports website and found them listed as Dagenham and Redbridge so thought that they may be the one I was missing but maybe there is another. We'll have to wait and see what Famine says.:sly:

So for this do 4 people each get a point as we all helped:sly:

And I want to ask a question but dunno if I can.

Matty
So for this do 4 people each get a point as we all helped:sly:

And I want to ask a question but dunno if I can.

A 1/4 point each ? Well the first person to lay down all the answers in one post must surely win, if that's you then yes. Depends if Famine meant Dagenham and Redbridge or not.

Late to the party, but it's annoying when you try and think of any others:

Blackburn Rovers
Fleetwood Town
Manchester United
Northampton Town
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Wycombe Wanderers

All with three. Man...

Does Melchester Rovers count? Or Warbury Warriors? Hehe.

EDIT II: Not sure if this is the proper name of the club but it's worth a shot. Dagenham and Redbridge United. Again with 4 E's.

A 1/4 point each ? Well the first person to lay down all the answers in one post must surely win, if that's you then yes. Depends if Famine meant Dagenham and Redbridge or not.

I never counted the d in the "and"... :ouch:

That's 'cos there isn't one :D Dagenham & Redbridge are, officially, "Dagenham & Redbridge" - no "and", but an ampersand...

Yes, I'm evil :D

No-one has yet named four English league clubs with four of the same letter in their name. Dagenham & Redbridge is an incorrect answer.

No-one has yet named four English league clubs with four of the same letter in their name. Dagenham & Redbridge is an incorrect answer.

They are listed as Dagenham and Redbridge on the skysports website, you would think that they would get it correct.:sly:
I'll see if I can find the other.;)

Back