Association Football Trivia Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 2,675 comments
Ok here goes. Not very good with trivia questions so forgive me if it seems a bit easy:

What is the highest scoring game ever in the Premier League, how many goals were scored and who was it between? (92/93 onwards of course)

Not looking for highest win margin, just the highest number of goals.

MildAshers
Ok here goes. Not very good with trivia questions so forgive me if it seems a bit easy:

What is the highest scoring game ever in the Premier League? (92/93 onwards of course)

Not looking for highest win margin, just the highest number of goals.

Manchester United 8 - 2 Arsenal 2011/12 season?

Damn, Tree'd by a better response.

Hehehe.

One of "those" clubs everyone forgets even exists.

Those damn plastic scousers...

---

Should be pretty easy.

Who was the first (and I think so far only) Englishman to win the Champions League with a non-British team?

Liquid
Those damn plastic scousers...

---

Should be pretty easy.

Who was the first, and I think so far only Englishman to win the Champions League with a non-British team?

Hmm, manager or player?

I have a feeling it may be Owen Hargreves, but because he's injured all the time it's hard to track where he is.

Hmm, Champions League or European Cup.

I recall Steve McManahan winning it before with Real Madrid but I think it was before the Champions League era.

David Beckham maybe? My knowledge of European football is pretty shocking, but I seem to recall him playing for a European club at some point.

David Beckham did play for Real a few years ago but I don't recall him winning a European title with them.

I recall Steve McManahan winning it before with Real Madrid but I think it was before the Champions League era.

You should be more confident, that's completely correct!

It is indeed Steve McManaman, winner with Real Madrid in 2000 and 2002 which also makes him the first British player to win the Champions League or indeed the European Cup twice. In my personal opinion he was a great player who is often overlooked by fans in general and was indeed overlooked by England on many occasions.

For the record Mattay, the Champions League succeeded the European Cup back in 1992.

Liquid
You should be more confident, that's completely correct!

It is indeed Steve McManaman, winner with Real Madrid in 2000 and 2002 which also makes him the first British player to win the Champions League or indeed the European Cup twice. In my personal opinion he was a great player who is often overlooked by fans in general and was indeed overlooked by England on many occasions.

For the record Mattay, the Champions League succeeded the European Cup back in 1992.

Ah right, I just knew he was nearing the end of his career around 2000 so he would have played in the old European Cup with perhaps Liverpool.

I'll get a question soon. 👍

Who was the youngest player manager in English League Football history?

EDIT: This was my 4000th post,

Last edited:
Liquid
Chris Brass? Think he was about 29 when he took over York City.

Sorry I actually don't know myself and I can't find any answer to in on the web.

I'll get one I do know.

Who was the longest serving manager at a single club and how many years was he at that club?

Manager, Club and period please.

Again sorry about the mess up.

I knew that one because it came up in another thread about two days ago...

---

This one is easily researchable but still, in the interest of fairness...

Name all the capital cities which have won the European Cup/Champions League.

I knew that one because it came up in another thread about two days ago...

---

This one is easily researchable but still, in the interest of fairness...

Name all the capital cities which have won the European Cup/Champions League.

Oh dear lord.

I can think of Madrid, London (Chelsea), Lisbon (Benfica), Amsterdam (Ajax), Glasgow (Celtic - if the Scottish capital counts rather than the UKGBNI one), Bucharest (Steaua) and Belgrade (Red Star)... but I don't know if there's any more. I want to say Rome (Roma... maybe Lazio) but I might be mixing it up with the Wafer Cup or the defunct CWC.

Am, most of the good teams aren't based around the capitals which makes this hard.. :)

All of what Famine said and....*Gets up turns around and looks at map*

Moscow?

He's good. Famine has got it in one.

Amsterdam - (1971, 1972, 1973, 1995)
Bucharest - (1986)
Belgrade - (1991)
Lisbon - (1961, 1962)
London - (2012)
Madrid - (1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1966, 1998, 2000, 2002)

Cities like Berlin, Paris and Rome have never won the European Cup. Although I'm tempted to take points away for confusing Glasgow and Edinburgh.

I prefer Glasgow - also it was a capital of culture :D

Okay. Here's a scritcher. A football pitch can be any length between 100 yards and 130 yards and any width between 50 yards and 100 yards (so yes, in theory, you could have a square pitch :lol: ).

Which English Football League team has the smallest pitch?

Shot in the dark...

Barnet, Underhill?

I'm guessing it's one of the minnows. And believe me, they've got some shoddy tinpot grounds with laughable excuses for 'grass' on their 'pitches'.

Back