Aston Martin DB11 (DB9 Replacement)

A moment of silence. The DB9 is now officially dead.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/aston-martin-db9-production-ends

DB11 production begins next month.

Goodbye to a legend. On the track, on the road, and in the art gallery. The best car of the 2000's, and one of the best modern cars ever made. One of the few modern cars that will be a true collectors gem, and stand to the test of time. Goodbye DB9, you will forever be the greatest modern Aston Martin. ;_;7

I can see hints of the One-77 particularly in the rear, it's not a bad looking car, but personally not the most beautiful car Aston Martin has made. I much prefer the elegant curves and the absence of jagged/modern lines on their cars (much like the DB9), and although it does this *mostly* justice, I just have no idea what happened to the rear. It's just not right..
But then again it's look will grow on me like most cars do, but right now I'm just not feeling it.

EDIT: Jeez the DB9 ended production? Hats off to a beautiful car, one of my favourite Astons made.

Who, Matt? First time someone has made that comparison. If the Carfection vid had been Alex that'd make a pair, as I've been compared to him before too. At least until he chopped all his hair off.

Seen the DB11 at Ignition Festival.
Ignition (101).JPG Ignition (102).JPG Ignition (103).JPG Ignition (100).JPG

Don't get me wrong, it's a stunning car, but it seems to be missing something that I can't put my finger on. Especially when compared to the DB9.

I haven't seen the DB11 in person but it still looks a little off to me. I've always preferred the styling of the Vantage to the DB9 so I hope Aston Martin makes the upcoming two-seater look better.

Seen the DB11 at Ignition Festival.
View attachment 573618 View attachment 573619 View attachment 573620 View attachment 573617

Don't get me wrong, it's a stunning car, but it seems to be missing something that I can't put my finger on. Especially when compared to the DB9.

Headlights too small compared to the huge bonnet and grill. Makes it look a little like a whale shark in comparison to the DB9.
The problem is the DB9 was pretty much perfect aesthetically, Aston will struggle to better it.

Edit: Spot the difference
OBOX_2_600.1.jpg

Last edited:
Headlights too small compared to the huge bonnet and grill.
I think you're onto something here. Specifically I didn't like the huge gap between the headlights and the bonnet line. It's like a person with eyes set very far apart.

Saw my first DB11 near Southampton on Sunday... Left hooker, on British plates, being driven VERY slowly by a lady...

DB11%20-%202.jpg

First impressions are it looks better than in the original pictures I saw, but it's absolutely HUGE, and still not exactly pretty.

It's interesting, but I don't think I would call it elegant. To me it looks like a high-end Infiniti or Nissan. The black-out treatment of the rear pillar is very kitsch, just like it is on the XJ...

Ugh, that fender vent makes the car look like it's already falling apart. Really cheap-looking.

I'm guessing rear visibility is also somewhere around brick wall level.

What a misleading video still...

I don't know why I only just thought about it now, but was just imagining how the DB11 will look as a race car. I think the new lines may not work in terms of expected elegance on the road model, but they could make for one mean looking track car. How long will we have to wait, Aston?

I think it looks better if it isn't two toned.

Depends on the colour combo. The silver roof strakes look the part more often than black.

Saw one gloss white/black model as I passed through Neath towards Breacon this evening (presumably out for a test spin on the mountain roads) and it's certainly not a combo I'd favour.

Personally I like it a lot more than the DB9. Reminds me of the Vanquish, which is IMHO the most beautiful car ever made, went back to stare at it so many times at the autoshow lol.

The back end of it sucks though, I despise the skinny/squinty BS, reminds me of the front of the Cherokee. I wanna kick it with my steel toes, feels like it's leering at me or some ****. The back of the DB9 wasn't that great either though.

0f33404e614ffad772cb4abbaeadc5ef.jpg

Saw my first DB11 near Southampton on Sunday... Left hooker, on British plates, being driven VERY slowly by a lady...

DB11%20-%202.jpg

First impressions are it looks better than in the original pictures I saw, but it's absolutely HUGE, and still not exactly pretty.

From this angle, that looks a lot like an i8...only worse.

DB11%20-%202.jpg

The rear end still doesn't work for me. I though it would have grown on me by now, but I just don't think they got the roof profile and the interface between the C pillar and rear end right.

Bit of a shame really...

Back