(ATCC) Australian Touring Car Championship | NW48 & Aaroh007 Are Your Driver's Champions!!!Finished 

• Thread starter NW48
  • 1,971 comments

Which Day/Time Would You Like This To Take Place?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'll be there in about half an hour. Need to have a shower and do a few things.

When do we have our GTP Karting Trial again, Mikey?
Cool & I have heats 4 & 10 (2PM & 10PM UTC I think). I'm sure you have heat 4 with me. 👍

you are lucky
I lost the server entirely... although i was second in class at the time
I feel like the PHEV that won its class... by being the only car in its class..
disconnected four times...

Last edited:
So, Mikey wins a thrilling Race 1 after a first corner mistake saw NW48 drive from the very far rear to the front only to male a mistake on the final two laps to give Mikey the win. 3rd was Tim, 4th was Pubs, 5th was Pringles, 6th, but a DC, was Thomas.

Well. I messed up on Race 2 trying to drive on a controller one-handed therefore @Timlour has taken the championship to a final round with a slight mathematical chance to win the title at the Season Finale.

Two week break now. I'll do a test day for Laguna at 21:50 GMT+10 next (upcoming) Saturday. Hope we can have a big turnout for the final round ahead of the Enduro Cup.

Now. Off to bed after I basically fell asleep during Q for my trial.

Well. I messed up on Race 2 trying to drive on a controller one-handed therefore @Timlour has taken the championship to a final round with a slight mathematical chance to win the title at the Season Finale.
If I've worked it out correctly, you only need to score 3 points over the whole meeting. 👍

ATCC POINTS STANDINGS
(After Round 10 of 11)

OVERALL CHAMPIONSHIP
1st- @NW48 - 174pts
2nd- @Timlour - 144pts
3rd- @Mikey24 - 132pts
4th- @Aaroh007 - 128pts
5th- @mustafur - 124pts
6th- @Pubs16 - 112pts
7th- @Jordiehamz - 104pts
8th- @WanganGhost - 82pts
9th- @David Talle - 82pts
10th- @gkgamer - 68pts
11th- @Tijee - 50pts
12th- @LITTLEBLACKO - 48pts
13th- @Beau Albert - 36pts
14th- @Pringles947 - 32pts
15th- @NinjaEvo - 30pts
16th- @Doomstorm16 - 24pts
17th- @swiftsmith - 16pts
18th- @Matvex - 16pts
19th- @David Talle (GROUP A) - 12pts
20th- @Thomas__633 - 12pts
21st- @Ph1sher - 6pts
22nd- @J_Cameron - 6pts
23rd- @Hayden - 6pts
24th- @RESHIRAM5 - 6pts
25th- @lxmmy - 6pts

GROUP A
1st- @NW48 - 174pts
2nd- @Timlour - 144pts
3rd- @Mikey24 - 132pts
4th- @mustafur - 124pts
5th- @Pubs16 - 112pts
6th- @Beau Albert - 36pts
7th- @NinjaEvo - 30pts
8th- @Doomstorm16 - 24pts
9th- @swiftsmith - 16pts
@Matvex - 16pts
10th- @David Talle - 12pts
11th- @Ph1sher - 6pts
@J_Cameron - 6pts
@Hayden - 6pts

GROUP B
1st- @Aaroh007 - 128pts
2nd- @Jordiehamz - 104pts
3rd- @WanganGhost - 82pts
@David Talle - 82pts
4th- @gkgamer - 68pts
5th- @Tijee - 50pts
6th- @LITTLEBLACKO - 48pts
7th- @Pringles947 - 32pts
8th- @Thomas__633 - 12pts
8th- @lxmmy - 6pts
@RESHIRAM5 - 6pts

---

ATCC Manufacturer's Championship Points Standings
GROUP A
1st - Chevrolet - 354pts
2nd - Nissan - 274pts
3rd - Ford - 44pts

*Remember that WildCards are ineligible for Manufacturer points

GROUP B
1st - Lexus - 350pts
2nd - BMW - 182pts
3rd - Mercedes-Benz AMG - 80pts
4th - Hyundai - 6pts

----

ATCC Teams Championship Points Standings
1st - Russian Roulette Racing* - 318pts
2nd- Masala Tsunami Racing - 232pts
3rd - RaceOnOz - 154pts
4th - Jet Black Mafia - 138pts

*To maintain a tight championship, only the top two cars from a 3-car team earn points towards their team.

---

ATCC Independent Championship Points Standings

1st - UNC Motorsports - 112pts
2nd - R-Sport Ireland - 82pts
On Strike Racing - 82pts
3rd - Jordie Motorsport* (*Now Defunct)- 50pts
4th - Team Chill Racing - 50pts
5th- Dragon Razer Racing - 48pts
6th- Pringles Racing - 32pts
7th- Matvex Racing - 16pts
8th- DreamCast Racing Services - 12pts
9th - BMW UK Motorsports - 6pts
TierOne Racing - 6pts
Tectonic Taipan Racing - 6pts
Galaxy Racing - 6pts

my team is eighth... despite four disconnections :)
I literally have to turn off every other device that uses internet if I want to even try to connect to the PSN

(GTOR) ATCC | Championship Situations
GROUP A
@NW48 needs to score at least 3 points to win the championship.

@Timlour needs to score 30 points more than @NW48 to win the Group A title, which is essentially two first place finishes if @NW48 fails to score at least 3 points.

@Mikey24 needs to score 12 points more than Timlour to clinch the runner up position.

@Pubs16 needs to score 12 points to pass @mustafur in the championship then and score 20 more points than @Mikey24 to score a podium finish in the championship.

GROUP B
[USER=248296]@Aaroh007[/USER] needs at least 8 points to draw the championship. Essentially a 4th place.

Jordiehamz needs to score 24 points more than @Aaroh007 to draw the championship. Two wins with @Aaroh007 only scoring 8 points. The winner would then be decided by wins.

@David Talle needs to outscore @WanganGhost to secure a podium placing in the Group B Championship.

GROUP A MANUFACTURER'S CHAMPIONSHIP
Nissan drivers need to score 80 points more than Chevrolet drivers to win the Manufacturer's Championship.

GROUP B MANUFACTURER'S CHAMPIONSHIP
Lexus has won the Group B Manufacturer's Championship.

TEAMS CHAMPIONSHIP
Russian Roulette Racing has secured the Teams Championship.

Jet Black Mafia needs to score 16 points more than Team RaceOnOz Taisan to clinch 3rd. Essentially a win with Team RaceOnOz Taisan not scoring a point.

INDEPENDENTS CHAMPIONSHIP
UNC Motorsport needs at least 3 points to clinch the Independent Championship.

On-Strike Racing needs to outscore R-Sport Ireland to clinch 2nd place.

Team Chill Racing needs to score 32 points with R-Sport Ireland or On-Strike Racing not gaining a single point to draw equal 3rd.

um can we do that earlier? because for some fairly obvious reasons I couldn't stay up until 3am for example.
Enduro Cup Rounds will start a few hours earlier than usual. I don't want to be in a lobby from 9pm to 3am, as will others.

For today's 'Driver-In-Focus' interview we have our soon to be crowned (barring an absolute disaster) Group B Champion, @Aaroh007. A true force to be reckon with setting the Group B category a light from the get go. His progress has been slowed by his PS3 dying, and karting events, but he's still going strong.

1. What drew you to the ATCC?

I found the Group A/B system quite interesting, but ultimately it was the day and the time that drew me to this series. This is the only series for which I don't have to wake up at 1am to race :lol:

2. Do you have any real-life racing experience? (I.e; karts, track-days)
I've been karting for 2 years in the Junior category of Rotax Max Challenge and was runner up in the 2014 season. I've also done a couple of races in the Asia Max Championship. I'll be testing Formula cars this year

3. What's your biggest Gran Turismo Racing Achievement?
ATCC is the first competitive series I'm taking part in. I'm more into casual, relaxed racing, but since I've joined ATCC, I'm quite enjoying the competitive nature of it

4. Which ATCC race are you most looking forward to?
ATCC Enduro Cup Finale at Bathurst

5. Which ATCC race are you least looking forward to?
Laguna Seca

6. How do you get prepared for a race, whether in the virtual world or real world?
In the real world, I just try to stay calm and relaxed before a race. In virtual racing however, I don't really prepare myself for a race.

7. What's your favourite Racing Discipline? (I.e;Open-Wheel, Touring, Endurance)
Although I find Open-wheel fun to watch, Touring cars are much more fun to race online.

8. Who's your favourite racing driver of all-time?
Michael Schumacher

9. What would be the biggest racing event in the world, in your opinion?
Without a doubt, the 24Hrs of Le Mans

10. Finally, what are your aspirations for the ATCC?
To win the Drivers Championship and the Teams Championship with Masala Tsunami Racing.

We wish @Aaroh007 well on his Junior Formula and karting journey, and hope that he can close out a championship he has dominated in.

Excuse the lateness in my post.

image.jpg

Can't believe I managed to win Race 2! After a shocking run in Race 1, I wasn't too hopeful on anything better than 3rd, you boys in the Corvettes were fast. The fact of invisible @Mikey24 to me was also playing on my mind, didn't want to take him out blindly into turn 1 but seemed safe and I was able to jump everyone. Although still throughout the race I had no idea where he'd be in terms of position to me lol made for a nerve racking race not knowing if I'm actually leading or not.
In that case I just tried to keep as consistent as possible but keep up my pace with no mistakes. This paid off well since it seemed @NW48 and @Timlour seemed to have a few troubles compared to race 1 at my surprise. You boys kept me on my toes though, Tim through the first stint matching lap for lap and NW in the second stint not letting off on my gap gaining for a little bit there ;). Consistency does pay off round here it seems!

Some valuable points from a win, although I'm disappointed to only gain 4th place from the first. A podium championship finish is a possibility and something I'm definitely hoping I can climb to. Will be tough, though it's going to be quite fun at Laguna for a final round ;).

Since we have a week off barring the test day, we are filling up the week with a range of in depth interviews and 'Driver-In-Focus' interviews. For the first of two 'Driver-In-Focus' interviews we have @Mikey24 giving us an insight into his driving, favorite driver's and events as well as his intentions in the ATCC.

I was hesitant at first, knowing I had signed up for quite a few series' but I eventually gave up the stubbornness and signed up. It was one of the best decisions I had ever made on GTPlanet.

Not very much no. I first competed in a small championship at my local kart circuit, of which the circuit manager recommended me to the Northern UK Championships - who in turn offered me a space on the grid after seeing footage of me racing. I competed in the Northern UK Championship for 5 years (2006-2011) and won 3 consecutive titles in the process before getting the paperwork ready to enter the Formula Renault 2.0 UK championship. But unfortunately, it folded and with no other series signed up to and hardly any money left, that series folding effectively ended my chances of being a racing driver.

Biggest Gran Turismo achievement? Well I have two achievements I'm personally quite proud of:
  • Doing the full 24H of Le Mans on GT5 from start to finish without a break.
  • Winning the GTTCC Endurance Cup - being a lower division driver, too. 👍

It has passed already, but it was the London & Brands 250. Where I scored a double podium. Also, I really enjoyed ATCC at Suzuka, where I scored my first ATCC win.

Again, it has passed already. It was the ATCC Bathurst event. That track was just so hectic - over the mountain had a crappy framerate due to the fast transition of images.

6. How do you get prepared for a race, whether in the virtual world or real world?
I don't really have an effective means of preparation. I'll usually just bide my time, set an alarm (for ATCC anyway) and come on about an hour or so before to get used to the track, then try and build upon that and aim for fast laps using the basis of lap times given on the thread.

7. What's your favourite Racing Discipline? (I.e; Open-Wheel, Touring, Endurance)
  • Formula 1 (it's going to be quite exciting over the next couple of years).
  • WEC
  • BTCC
  • V8 Supercars (I'm not just saying that because you're Australian :lol:#LowndesFTW)

I have quite a few, surprisingly:
  • Kimi Raikkonen (Formula 1)
  • Craig Lowndes (V8 Cupercars)
  • Colin Turkington (BTCC)
  • James Hinchcliffe (IndyCar)
  • Jeff Gordon (NASCAR)

Three:
  • 24 Hours of Le Mans
  • Daytona 500
  • Indianapolis 500

Well now, as of the penultimate round, I'm incapable of winning the title so I will stick my tip top hopes in beating @Timlour to second place and prevent a Russian Roulette 1-2. ;)
But realistically, I'm happy with third, but that doesn't mean I won't be fighting. ;)

Fantastic interview there by Mikey, definitely covering all the bases and leaving nothing to ponder about. Now, onto the Group B hard luck story, @Tijee!

Tijee had his start to the season disrupted by personal health issues which ruled him out of most of the rounds in the first half of the season, putting him on the back foot with a lack of track time. Over the past weeks we have seen him improve an improve despite not being able to commit 100% to the series.

I used to race in GT3 enduro, and I wanted to build my own Touring Car and drive it in exciting, intense sprint races. I had more interest in the Hyundai or the M4 at first, but then I discovered the Lexus... Very enjoyable!

I did some karting once and I really enjoyed it! That's all. I'd love to do more, karting, track-days, or even drifting, but unfortunately I miss time and money for that. But I'm still hoping it will be possible one day!

None. :lol: I've completed most of the game but it's more a formality or a hobby to me, not a real achievement. The real racing, the one that matters, is online. And for now I have a few podiums in multi class races or small grids, so nothing impressive. I still don't have any victory that I can remember and be proud of.

I enjoyed the Nürburgring, and I think I would have enjoyed Silverstone and Bathurst too (though the latter is difficult to master). Unfortunately I could not attend as many races as I expected to...

Well, there are not many races left now. I feared Suzuka a lot, and Laguna Seca is not one of my favorite tracks. Both have very fast corners with not a lot of room for error, so you have to know them perfectly... or be slow, which is not the point:P

I remember I used to be very anxious before my first online races, I was afraid of the traffic. Now that I have more experience I tend to be more relaxed. Paradoxically I practice much less than before. I just make about a dozen of laps, working on my racing lines and breaking points, until I'm consistent enough. I don't try to find these little tenths, a race is not a TT, I pay more attention to the alternate lines and where I can defend or attack. I also measure my tires and fuel consumption if this is an enduro, and prepare one or two scenarios depending on the other contestants strategy.

7. What's your favourite Racing Discipline? (I.e; Open-Wheel, Touring, Endurance)
I still love GT3 and Super GT, but I find Touring sprints much more intense! I think my favorite series is BTCC.

Sebastien Loeb, because he's French ;). On a serious note, he manages to excel in whatever he does. He was obviously excellent in WRC, and now he's a great competitor in WTCC, and I think he'll still improve until the end of the championship and over the next few years.

Les 24H du Mans of course ;)

Unfortunately, not much now... I missed too many races, now I just hope I can make a last race and enjoy it.

Another great interview for us readers to indulge in! Thanks Tijee! We will continue to put out the final few Driver-In-Focus interviews and strive to publish a sit-down interview with the seriea founder himself, @NW48, on all the things ATCC and a bit on who NW48 really is as a person.

Tonight we sit down with ATCC Founder and GTOR Admin, @NW48, to learn a bit more about him in the first part of a 2-part interview to gain an insight into who he really is.

1. What convinced you to create the ATCC?

Well, it actually all started a year ago before I was actually a member here on GTPlanet. I knew that the current V8 formula used in V8 Supercars needed to be changed in coming years to stay relevant, so when fiddling around in GT6, I decided to throw together all the suggested changes for a new formula and run with it. We originally began planning in late June, where there were, believe it or not, a 3-class structure being planned. The current Group A cars were there, the current Group B cars were there (plus two more that never made the cut) and a rather ambitious Group C class that comprised of 3 hatchbacks, a Focus RS, Megane Trophy RS and another one I can't quite remember the name of at the moment. :lol: Fast-forward a month, I had joined GTPlanet and had begun my first series, the rather ill-fated (GTOR) Renault Megame Trophy Challenge. We had a good start to the season but by Round 3 we were only averaging 5 people a race. After 7 of the 12 rounds, we called it quits and held the finale at a rain-drenched Bathurst. A few months past before I had the courage to start another series, the (GTOR) International Formula Ford Championship. It ran for 7 rounds and was the first series I ran through to the finish despite low attendances. It was Round 6 that championship that I stumbled upon my earlier testing sheets for the ATCC. A few weeks later, I finally started the thread up and as they say, the rest is history!

Yes I do. :lol: I have raced karts competitively for 8 years, starting in 2008 at the age of 7. I could have started in 2007 but since my birthday was so far into the year, the season was pretty much over so there was no point. I was lucky enough to join karting in my town in a very competitive 'era' where we had quite a few drivers who did quite well on the coast. I should probably explain our local track is neither bitumen nor concrete, it's a mix of compressed oil and dirt with concrete corners. It's not dirt racing at all. A common misconception. It's really a slippery bitumen, so good practice for wet conditions on the coast, which I sadly haven't had yet. So, 2008 went by with not much success, as to be expected though when racing against true greats of the Junior categories in my town. 2009 was a breakout season, in scored multiple wins and a fair few podiums on my way to a podium finish in the overall championship. 2010 was stellar compared to 2009. We started with a win, lost a race, then the race before then state titles, we won. The State Titles rolled around, I was just 9 and tinier and skinnier than a stick, I didn't quite understand the situation I was in. So it helped for the first race, where I lapped every position besides 2nd. I ended up taking the State title with 4 wins and a 2nd, I unfortunately couldn't lift the trophy as it weighed more than me. :lol:
unnamed (3).jpg

That's me holding the coveted blue plate. I was so little and looked a lot different to who I am now. Unfortunately the mood at home was... different. My older brother, who I will admit here was definitely more aggressive, but not necessarily more tactical, lost out despite winning every race by a bit less than a lap. He was DSQ'd due to a exhaust irregularity which we were stunned by considering it came straight from the manufacturers. In the end of year rankings, I was ranked the 52nd best Midget (now called 'Cadets') in Australia. I was also offered to race in Singapore but my Dad declined the offer. From the state titles to mid way through 2013, I was never beaten at home in a points/championship round. 2011 marked my first race on the coast, in Mackay. I did fairly well for my first time. 2013 started fantasticly with a breakout podium on the coasr in Mackay coming third in the inaugural Burridge Family Memorial in the Rookies class. The rest of 2013 at home was dreadful, after spending the past 6 years in karts you could slide around, I stepped up to the Junior National Light class, where you couldn't slide the kart. Couple that with my size which hadn't changed much since 2010, it was a disaster. We got used to the kart by September after 3 moths of pain in unfamiliar territory, the back of the field. I was invited to the inaugural Race of Stars on the Gold Coast (an invitational event for the best in QLD & NSW) to race in the Junior National Pro class. We started the weekend there in a massive rush, trying to get the kart ready in time for FP1. We got there amd placed fairly well. But come Qualy, it turned out we, and by we, I mean my pit crew *cough*Dad*cough*, forgot the transponder. The timing device to register the times. So I had to start way down in 32nd. AKA Last place. After that, I changed my goal of a Top 7 to just have some fun. We moved up in the first race to 25th, then after 3 red flags all on the first lap/s, we got into 14th then finished 16th in the final. 2014 was our biggest year, the highlight being a 15th place finish out of 34 at an even bigger Race of Stars which consisted of the best in Australia and New Zealand. Not bad for someone who has an incredibly tight budget and is from the bush. 2015, well, I haven't been in a kart for 7 months as I have taken a break but I do return to racing at home next week.

3. What's your greatest Gran Turismo Racing Achievement?
Well, if I can pull it off, the ATCC Driver's Championship, Group A Driver's Championship and the Team's Championship.

4. Which ATCC race were you most looking forward to?
Silverstone. I was the fastest there in the Pre-Season tests by a far margin and it was also Russian Roulette Racing's home race.

5. Which ATCC race were you least looking forward to?
Suzuka without a doubt. I hate the track. It's a great design, but is extremely challenging and doesn't suit my fancy.

Well, real world, listen to music, watch other races, do some visualization and just cruise about. Virtual; never have had the chance, really. But if I do, it's just practicing.

Gah. F1 only when it's at it's peak but mostly the WEC due to the technical aspects and the action over prolonged periods of time.

8. Who is your favourite racing driver of all-time?
Of all time, without a doubt the late great Ayrton Senna, for reasons I have stated in this thread. But current drivers I would say;
V8SC - Craig Lowndes/Scott Mclaughlin/James Courtney
F1 - Jenson Button/Fernando Alonso
WEC - Andre Lotterer
NASCAR - Jimmie Johnson

Without a shadow of a doubt, the 24 Heures du Mans.

10. Finally, what were your aspirations for the ATCC?
To have fun, run it as best I could and improve my skill. All of which I believe I have. Anything else is just a bonus. :)👍

Look to part 2 of the interview on Sunday! Until then, we should hopefully post one or two Driver-In-Focus interviews by then!

That's quite an impressive and promising life course for a young man of your age :)👍 I think it's already been told in this thread but I find you very mature compared to some other young people on GTP, it surely will help you achieve your goals! Keep it up, you have the luck of following your passion!

BTW I would have enjoyed the Group C class :D

Last edited:
Back