Automotive Guilty Pleasures

• Thread starter Turtle
  • 1,407 comments
If I'm not wrong, didn't Buick have something like that in the Reatta?
Yes (and the Riviera, too). Although the version used in the Toronado was an updated version (for 1990-1992 Trofeos anyway, 1988 and 89s used the same setup as Buick) that had a color screen and a few more functions. There were also more analog controls, as well as a few Toronado specific touches such as the diagnostic screen showing a 3/4 view of a digital representation of the car. Both versions even had the ability to communicate with an optional in-car phone. Here's a Reatta version for comparison:

Either way, it's a pretty neat piece of tech if you ask me.

Yes (and the Riviera, too). Although the version used in the Toronado was an updated version (for 1990-1992 Trofeos anyway, 1988 and 89s used the same setup as Buick) that had a color screen and a few more functions. There were also more analog controls, as well as a few Toronado specific touches such as the diagnostic screen showing a 3/4 view of a digital representation of the car. Both versions even had the ability to communicate with an optional in-car phone. Here's a Reatta version for comparison:

Either way, it's a pretty neat piece of tech if you ask me.

Especially for the 1980's.

1998-2006 Honda HR-V

I'd totally rock a quirky-looking subcompact, 4WD SUV like this one, specifically in 3-door spec. The design is more captivating than controversial, in my view. Oddly enough, the HRV had no automatic option and could only be had with a 5-speed manual or a CVT.

And Japan being Japan, a Mugen package was offered:

Last edited:
Oddly enough, the HRV had no automatic option and could only be had with a 5-speed manual.​
Fan of the HR-V too, but this bit isn't true - there was a CVT option (in the UK at least, the manual/CVT ratio for used examples seems about half and half).

Fan of the HR-V too, but this bit isn't true - there was a CVT option (in the UK at least, the manual/CVT ratio for used examples seems about half and half).
I swear the Wikipedia link claimed only a 5-speed was used, but fixed.

I know most enthusiasts don't like the luxury SUV "coupe" craze. But for some reason, I like the GLC Coupe in GLC43 or GLC63 form. GLE Coupe looks terrible in comparison, but something about the GLC's stance actually looks nice.

I always drive by the local Mercedes dealership on my way to work and they have a couple GLC43s sitting out front. Quite like them with these wheels.

Wish I had a better picture, but these wheels on the GLC63 look great too.
a7e1e89b33ed715aa2e494195bc06d18.jpg

Of course, I'd rather get the normal GLC43/63 AMG instead of the coupe.

This one's just sprung to mind - the Will Cypha. The bright yellow one is currently for sale in the UK for just over £2k. It's pretty ugly really but I kinda like that it turns a pretty unremarkable car (a first-gen Yaris, just like the Will Vi) into something a bit quirky (and in some properly bright colours). They were among the first cars to really go down the "connected" infotainment route too - there's a touchscreen in the dash that in Japan at least could access various internet-based features, as well as (I think) having SD card-based navigation, which in the early 2000s was pretty unusual in a small car like this.

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

20100411_3772220.jpg

20100411_3772249.jpg

20100412_3772662.jpg

I know most enthusiasts don't like the luxury SUV "coupe" craze. But for some reason, I like the GLC Coupe in GLC43 or GLC63 form. GLE Coupe looks terrible in comparison, but something about the GLC's stance actually looks nice.

I always drive by the local Mercedes dealership on my way to work and they have a couple GLC43s sitting out front. Quite like them with these wheels.

Wish I had a better picture, but these wheels on the GLC63 look great too.
a7e1e89b33ed715aa2e494195bc06d18.jpg

Of course, I'd rather get the normal GLC43/63 AMG instead of the coupe.

I'm loving the design language MB's has had from 2014, but for some reason these SUV's are the ones that in my opinion look better overall, comparing them with their other product lines.

The designs seem to benefit their larger cars

I'm loving the design language MB's has had from 2014, but for some reason these SUV's are the ones that in my opinion look better overall, comparing them with their other product lines.

The designs seem to benefit their larger cars
I'm not with you on the former, but I am on the latter--I think the larger format helps to tone down what I dislike about the same styling cues on the smaller vehicles.

This one's just sprung to mind - the Will Cypha. The bright yellow one is currently for sale in the UK for just over £2k. It's pretty ugly really but I kinda like that it turns a pretty unremarkable car (a first-gen Yaris, just like the Will Vi) into something a bit quirky (and in some properly bright colours). They were among the first cars to really go down the "connected" infotainment route too - there's a touchscreen in the dash that in Japan at least could access various internet-based features, as well as (I think) having SD card-based navigation, which in the early 2000s was pretty unusual in a small car like this.

That last one in green looks superb. What a great hue.

Thought of another of my guilty pleasures; the luxury small car. It's probably best exemplified by Renault, which has consistently made luxury versions of its small cars, from the Renault 5 Baccara/Monaco, through the Clio Baccara, to the Clio Initiale.

renault-5-baccara.jpg

renault-5-monaco.jpg

renault_clio_baccara_2.jpg

clioinitiale99.jpg

clioinitiale99_1.jpg

Peugeot has had a pop at it too with its Roland Garros models, and I suppose you could throw in Ghia and Ghia X or Vignale versions of some Fiestas, though they're not as overt as the Renault models which go for the full wood and leather thing.

I think in general it's a very French trend, as it's possibly the best combination of the country's love of style but also its desire not to overtly display wealth or luxury - a small luxury car is both easier to drive around places like Paris and less conspicuous than a large luxury car.

I'd have thought the idea would work in Japan (with kei cars specifically) for similar reasons, but I think the Japanese might be even more pragmatic than the French, so while some kei cars are well equipped, few seem to take the more traditional luxury approach that the Renaults above do. An exception might be some of the more luxurious versions of the MX-5 (V-Specs etc) though I'd say those don't really count as guilty pleasures like a specced-up supermini does.

I'm sure these have been brought up before but:

oldsmobile-china-1-1.jpg

544437303.jpg

I don't know why but I really want one of both of these. They just look so out there, it's great.

That's what Volkswagen USA (in particular) seemed to be angling for with the last few years of the Cabrio. Heated leather seats, leather wrapped door cards, heated mirrors, Bose-style stereo, power windows, power top, for-all-intents-and-purposes standard air conditioning.

Thought of another of my guilty pleasures; the luxury small car. It's probably best exemplified by Renault, which has consistently made luxury versions of its small cars, from the Renault 5 Baccara/Monaco, through the Clio Baccara, to the Clio Initiale.
Let's not forget how the Brits tried it first with the Riley Elf and, to a lesser extent, the Worseley Hornet.

4285c22261b4ee45b1f90f82734e6a26.jpg
ebay180314.jpg

lincoln-continental-1983-2.jpg
lincoln-continental-1983-1.jpg

I think it was in this thread that I posted a Bill Blass Lincoln Mark VII, so I figure I ought to post the non-Mark seventh generation Continental as well. Introduced for 1982 and featuring a "bustleback" character line to compete with the Cadillac Seville and Imperial (the sole two-door of the bunch), it lost its "brick" front end for 1984 to better pair with the Mark VII released for that year--pre-facelift examples are my preference.

Now...I'm not one for naming cars since they come with names attached, but I feel like I'd have to call this one Layla as I get a heavy "Goodfellas" vibe from it.

We've not had a good guilty pleasure in a while, have we? Like clockwork every year, every time the weather gets good, I start wanting a convertible. I'm not generally a fan of hatchback or sedan-based convertibles - i.e. a regular car with the roof chopped off, rather than a dedicated soft-top like an MX-5 or MR2 - but I'll make exceptions for certain cars.

The two I'm making exceptions for recently are the first-gen E88 1-series convertible and the A4 convertible - specifically the old S4 with the 4.2-litre V8. Perhaps it's not so guilty liking the latter, but then I suspect most people lusting after an S4 would go for the Avant. I've never been big on fast estates, and since the S4's a long way from being a sports car, I figure you may as well appreciate that V8 in the best way possible, with the roof down.

1.jpg

I think it's a really handsome car for one thing - ultra clean lines, simple details, and a solid interior. But I just like the idea of smoking around to the sound of a V8 with the roof dropped. Or, as the 1-series convertible allows, an inline-six. The 1-series was definitely at its most attractive in coupe form, but I reckon the convertible's right up there, and leagues ahead of what BMW's currently churning out.

2008-BMW-1-Series-Convertible-24.jpg

In Europe you could get it with four- or six-cylinder engines, the latter pair being a naturally-aspirated 125i or a turbocharged 135i. I'd be happy enough with the 125i if I'm honest, preferably with a manual gearbox and, having found the picture above, green paintwork would be nice too. Sometimes you just want to cruise around in a good-looking car in relative comfort and with a satisfying engine, and enjoy a bit of sunshine and fresh air.

The 125i was only a different map away from the 130i N52B30 so with 265bhp it’d be fine, I would’ve preferred a coupe though ;)

The 125i was only a different map away from the 130i N52B30 so with 265bhp it’d be fine, I would’ve preferred a coupe though ;)
I think in all likelihood I'd go for the coupe if I were to actually spend money on one, but the coupe isn't a guilty pleasure! And I do think for maybe an average of a month each year I'd enjoy the convertible more.

I count the sunroof on my car as a guilty pleasure now :lol: I’ve never been keen on the looks of them as I think they ruin the line but having one and being able to open it when there’s some sun and not freeze to death like I would with the windows is great. Add to that I never realised how dark the cabin seems if I close the blind as well.

Some scally has just been pulled over in one of these on Road Wars and I'd largely forgotten about them.

photos_volvo_440_1994_1_b.jpg

The 440 and 460 were a very stylish pair, and I remember the brochures very fondly.

@homeforsummer that A4 isn't that much of a guilty pleasure!

VXR
@homeforsummer that A4 isn't that much of a guilty pleasure!
It's more that saloons/hatchbacks-turned-convertibles tend to be seen as a compromise too far by many, certainly when they're designed to be sporty - just see how people react to 911 convertibles. I reckon most enthusiasts would go for the coupe version of the 1-series, for instance, and the Avant version of the A4, making the convertible variants a bit of a guilty pleasure.

They definitely aren't sporty, I can agree with that. Even the 2.0t is way too much for the cabrio. Torque steer, scuttle shake. As you say though, as a way to hear an engine they make a lot of sense. I'm thoroughly enjoying moorland drives with the roof down just for the sake of it and I have considered replacing it with the S4 for the V8.

Back