Avengers: Endgame (2019)Movies 

• Thread starter Famine
  • 134 comments
Loved the film and would happily watch it again straight away!
Me too and I have another ticket booked to see it in a couple of weeks, this time in IMAX 3D.

Me too and I have another ticket booked to see it in a couple of weeks, this time in IMAX 3D.
I went to see Watchmen in iMax and got to see the actor playing Dr Manhattan wearing the latex suit with blue LED's on in the reflection off Night Owls goggles.

I wonder if they left in little Easter eggs like that for Avengers?

I'm no mod, but until the USA see it, hope no one even posts a spoiler button. Endless stories from here on. Endless..
I'm glad you're not a mod. I don't think America would wait for other countries if the situations were reversed.

Stan Lee's cameo was great. Totally unexpected.

Wow.

Saw it in full-fat IMAX 3D last night. I urge people to go in as blind as possible in terms of spoilers — it's true that the majority of the footage in trailers/teasers is from very early in the movie, and it makes it such a fun trip.

I get why there was a... "conscious uncoupling" of this and IW in terms of the original titles being Pt.1 and Pt.2. This is a very different movie than what came before, especially the first act. Once it gets going, there's so much pure fan service and call-backs to pretty much every of the previous 21 movies. Endgame plays like a giant thank-you letter from Marvel to its fans for taking this trip over the last 11 years. The fight scenes are better choreographed — that's been a weak point of MCU movies for a while. That said, it's still not matching titles like the first Avengers or Winter Soldier, though the latter had the aid of being a much more grounded title.

There are so many surprises. The effects are incredible. It's both funnier than IW (while feeling earned) and darker. Some genuinely touching moments, and the best end scene. There's really not much I can talk about without spoiling it, though. So...

When the third act truly kicks off and everybody shows up, my jaw was agape. Forget what you know about large-scale war shots in films: this makes LOTR ROTK look like a playset. Because we know so many of these characters, it's almost sensory overload, having your eyes dart from corner to corner on the screen trying to pick out each character. There are little micro-meets here that just kept earning cheers from the crowd. I can't believe how much was packed into that whole scene: Cap being worthy, "on your left", Instant Kill Mode, truly Giant Man hooking one of those space snake/turtle/ship things, "assemble"... just, damn.

The time travel mechanics almost felt like the writers admitting defeat in the face of complications. Specifically the audible dismissal of all previous time travel movies. I'm willing to accept that if all the stones are returned, the diverging timelines no longer exist, and I'm even willing to believe Cap used one last jump back at the end instead of the (sort of implied) idea that he just lived a life within the existing timeline.

The main issue, as you'd expect, is that the movie goes out of its way to enforce hard consequences. We're told Natasha can't come back even with using the Stones, and that makes sense... but we have a time-displaced Gamora running around now. Travel back in time, pick up any version of Nat from within the last five years (the closer to the Vormir trip the better), and boom, solved. Unless, I suppose, that would muck up Strange's only-one timeline...

It didn't really clarify how Thanos managed to both figure out the time travel mechanics for his own purposes, as well as be able to transport so much of his army at once. Oh, and there's the constantly varying power levels all over again: Stormbreaker could kill a fully-powered Thanos last movie, but everybody needed to be involved to even wear him down here.

Chubby Thor was hilarious, and I'm glad they kept him that way throughout. I've read some complaints about it, about how it undoes his character progression from his last two appearances, but it makes sense: he blames himself for not just failing his people, but literally half the universe. I imagine that'd weigh pretty heavily on anybody.

Plus, Korg's back. That's very important.

What I semi-expected before going in was that this would mark the end for me too. It hasn't been a whole day yet, but so far I still feel that way. This put a bow on so many aspects of this series that I don't think I want to go watch any more of them, at least not with the same level of attachment. Spider-Man FFH is doing zilch for me. Maybe BP2 or Strange 2 will draw me back.

I'll be watching it again at least once (gotta take my dad), and can't wait.

I saw it again last night. I wanted to say it on Wednesday, but let's address the elephant in the room
Loki's alive!

One of the callbacks I liked was (v. minor spoiler)

T'Challa (in one of his few lines of dialogue) making a point of calling Ronin "Clint" after saying he didn't care what his name was in Cap 3. They are all Avengers now.

I watched this last night and in short, I'm really impressed with how they wrapped things up. The movie had it's flaws, certainly, but the way everything came together was brilliant.

Especially at the end when Hulk undid the snap and everyone who dissapeared in the decimation came back. Seeing all of those characters on screen, characters, who if you have seen all of the other films, have seen before in at least one movie. Even the kid from Iron Man 3 turned up, but that was right at the end for the funeral.

I think this is a film I will have to see again, there was just so much going on. It was a 3 hour film but when the final act came around I was looking at my watch thinking "there's no way it's been over 2 hours already".

I saw it again last night. I wanted to say it on Wednesday, but let's address the elephant in the room

Major plothole though. If loki was not a captive in Asgard, then Odin being banished to earth would not have happened. Therefore Raganorak and hulk being tranported to earth to warn the avengers all would not have happened

On Thursday, I got a VIP invitation from work to go watch this film without having seen any of the earlier Avengers films. This was my first Avengers experience as well as complimentary popcorn and reclining leather seats. Woot.

Some humour surrounding Thor's character trope got a bit predictable and slowed things down.

Aside from that, this was very enjoyable despite only knowing a handful of characters. I can see what the rage is about with each installment.

I saw this movie last night and was practically inconsolable for the last 30 minutes of it like 20 minutes after

I was like 11 when Iron Man came out so it has been literally half my life and I can't believe this chapter of the story is over

I want to see it again though, very soon

Major plothole though. If loki was not a captive in Asgard, then Odin being banished to earth would not have happened. Therefore Raganorak and hulk being tranported to earth to warn the avengers all would not have happened
Not really, it was explained that they wouldn’t change their pasts, instead they would create an alternate timeline separate to their own. So while their past remained unchanged, there is another timeline where Loki did escape with the tesseract.

I wonder how awkward it must have been for Cap...

when he went to Vormir to put the Soulstone back into place and was face to face again with the Red Skull.

Not really, it was explained that they wouldn’t change their pasts, instead they would create an alternate timeline separate to their own. So while their past remained unchanged, there is another timeline where Loki did escape with the tesseract.
This is why I typed Endless stories. Just like the comics.

It didn't really clarify how Thanos managed to both figure out the time travel mechanics for his own purposes, as well as be able to transport so much of his army at once. Oh, and there's the constantly varying power levels all over again: Stormbreaker could kill a fully-powered Thanos last movie, but everybody needed to be involved to even wear him down here.

I'll be watching it again at least once (gotta take my dad), and can't wait.
I may be inclined to disagree a bit. Yeah, Stormbreaker could've killed him, but Thanos did say Thor should've decapitated him if he wanted to use Stormbreaker to do so.

In this movie, it seems heavily implied Wanda alone could've destroyed Thanos until he called in the artillery strike, and Captain Marvel was gaining a decent advantage until Thanos removed the power stone and used it to knock her back.
But, I'm with you and will be watching it again. May change up my perspective and catch some things I missed.

I may be inclined to disagree a bit. Yeah, Stormbreaker could've killed him, but Thanos did say Thor should've decapitated him if he wanted to use Stormbreaker to do so.

In this movie, it seems heavily implied Wanda alone could've destroyed Thanos until he called in the artillery strike, and Captain Marvel was gaining a decent advantage until Thanos removed the power stone and used it to knock her back.
But, I'm with you and will be watching it again. May change up my perspective and catch some things I missed.
I agree with you about Stormbreaker, it was only in an instant during the fight in the first one where Thor had an opportunity to use Stormbreaker to kill THanos. He didn't go for the head and as a result Thanos lived.

As for Wanda, nearly beating Thanos by herself makes sense. In Infinity War she held Thanos back with one hand long enough for her to destroy the mind stone with the other. Also, back then was she was in a state of distress, she was killing/had just killed someone she loved, then watched him brought back to life only to be killed again immediately afterwards by Thanos. Although it's only been moments for her, not 5 and a bit years, the distress has turned into anger and that's focused on Thanos when she meets him.

Captain Marvel is the most powerful Avenger currently in the MCU, so her ability against Thanos was unknown until this movie. With the stones, Thanos could still better her, just, but she is supposed to be stonger than Thor etc.
I definitely intend to watch this again too, with so much going on there's got to be lots of things to pick up on that I didn't the first time round.

I agree with you about Stormbreaker, it was only in an instant during the fight in the first one where Thor had an opportunity to use Stormbreaker to kill THanos. He didn't go for the head and as a result Thanos lived.

As for Wanda, nearly beating Thanos by herself makes sense. In Infinity War she held Thanos back with one hand long enough for her to destroy the mind stone with the other. Also, back then was she was in a state of distress, she was killing/had just killed someone she loved, then watched him brought back to life only to be killed again immediately afterwards by Thanos. Although it's only been moments for her, not 5 and a bit years, the distress has turned into anger and that's focused on Thanos when she meets him.

Captain Marvel is the most powerful Avenger currently in the MCU, so her ability against Thanos was unknown until this movie. With the stones, Thanos could still better her, just, but she is supposed to be stonger than Thor etc.
I definitely intend to watch this again too, with so much going on there's got to be lots of things to pick up on that I didn't the first time round.

Officially yes, Captain Marvel is the strongest character in the MCU thus far, but I'd argue "on a good day" that Wanda is just as powerful.

I quite enjoyed it, far from perfect and many flaws make it a worse film than IW for me personally.

Act III was unbelievable and I loved that particular part a helluva lot.

Solid 7.5/10.

I assumed in infinity war Thor had the advantage of surprise.

Watched it last night. So much fun.
I feel the acting was a real stand out in this movie. Mark Ruffalo in particular was great fun as Professor Hulk. He wasn't Banner and he wasn't Hulk. He was playing a new character. RDJ proved once again why he's one of the leading actors of his generation. I feel like Karen Gillan isn't getting enough recognition for how good her portrayal of Nebula is, especially in this movie.

In addition to all the great acting, I felt like the third act, from the three-on-one fight between Iron Man, Captain America and Thor versus Thanos, to Thanos sitting down and fully realizing the depth of his defeat before blowing away into dust was one of the greatest action scenes ever committed to film. There were story arcs that flowed from scene to scene, and from character to character. And it all flowed beautifully. I liked that the two most dangerous characters Thanos fought were Captain Marvel and Scarlet Witch. And the "She's not alone" moment when all the women of the MCU gathered together. Take all those characters and make an A-Force movie around them and I'm all in.

Yes, this was an end to the MCU we've known for the last 10 years or so. Tony and Black Widow are dead, Cap's retired, Thor is on walkabout. But there are so many new characters, new stories, new relationships, and new worlds to explore. I don't see this as the end of the MCU, just the end of the first chapter.

Last edited:
I've loved these since the start and really enjoyed this. Still interested to see where they go from here.

Re-fat Thor -- I liked that they were addressing depression, but everybody constantly making fun of him felt needless.

I agree with the "where do we go from here" mood. I feel the same (ASguardians of the galaxy aside), nothing interests me.

I went to go see the film on Sunday with a group of friends I’ve been watching the MCU with religiously for the past decade. I have to say that this movie was a good ending for the franchise but I have a couple complaints. decent movie overall and I’d recommend anyone who is invested in Marvel to go and see it. The reliance on established themes means I wouldn’t take anyone else who isn’t interested to go and see it as they’ll be completely lost.

Solid 7/10. Nowhere near as subtle or well crafted as Infinity war, but an incredibly fun action movie.

Things I liked:

- Tony’s death was incredibly satisfying. If anyone was going to sacrifice themselves to save the universe, it was going to be him.

- Related, but Tony’s final one-liner directed at Thanos was incredible, 10/10.

- The final battle was a spectacle, easily the best fictional large-scale conflict in any movie.

- The time travel moments were well done and didn’t dumb down the plot too much.

- Black Widow didn’t go out like a punk, I love how her and Hawkeye fought for the privilege of being the soul stone’s sacrifice.

Things I didn’t like:

- Fat Thor was funny at first, but that joke stuck around far too long.

- The scene with all the female superheroes standing together and saying “she’s not alone” made me cringe. I hate feminist propaganda, especially when it’s so unsubtle. Feminism can be done well, but it wasn’t done well here.

- Fans of Thanos could potentially be disappointed with this movie. He isn’t really that complex compared to the last film.

Last edited:
It was a good example of how you treat a property that people have invested years of emotion in... assuming you just want to play it reeealllly safe. This, and Star Wars really are opposite sides of the coin in that respect.

I'm upset Hulk couldn't rematch with Thanos. After 11 years, I wanted to see Hulk crack the planet or put his fist through Thanos' chest or something super strong.

I mean, he jumped and punched Surtur in the head and moved him. He body slammed a wolf the size of a building. He one-hitter-quitter one of the flying slugs. Soooo wanted to see him punch Thanos across the continent.:lol:

A good film, enjoyed it a lot but too many jokes for me.

Also, Thor's hammy, fake English accent is so grating. It makes my teeth itch.

Disappointed that Thanos lost. He's so cool.

Back