Avengers Infinity War (2018)Movies 

• Thread starter SlipZtrEm
  • 148 comments
My thoughts on this are that before acquiring the stones to use the gauntlet Thanos would physically choose half of a race or group of people to spare and kill the others. Once he used the glove, it wasn't him physically choosing who would die and who would live on a conscious level, the stones simply acted on his will to elimitante half of life in the universe and did so radomly, only perhaps done so species by species. That would explain how and why despite being physically selected to be elminated by Thanos at the start, Thor and Hulk we're not later eliminated by the gauntlet. The same could be said for Stark, though Thanos did choose to spare him in exchange for ths time stone, I believe ultimately his fate was chosen at random by the gauntlet.
It made the character a lot deeper. He did specifically wanted it to be random. That is why he does not just annihilate anyone in his ways. He does have a moral compass and not just plain evil person who wants to destroy all and rule all.

The deaths got me more this time around, even knowing most of them will probably be reversed. Tom Holland's (ad-libbed!) scene is the top one, but even Rocket watching Groot go (again) and Cap/Bucky were good. Also, when it's all done, Widow looks devastated.

According to James Gunn, Groot's last words were:

"Dad."

That sort of knife-twist to the gut should be illegal in family movies.

Hmm.

Not very impressed with IW - and if you want an unpopular opinion, I've actually not been impressed with any of the three ensemble Avengers films really, certainly not compared to most of the 2nd/3rd films for individual Avengers. They all seem to focus on the same thing: lots of powered people using their powers in convenient ways while lots of stuff and ordinary people explode.

IW is much the same, with a more than a soupcon of Matrix Reloaded/Two Towers/Empire Strikes Back about it. And I don't mean in the critical success, award winning way, I mean in the:

Suddenly ends with the bad guys on top, see you next year for the 150-minute conclusion, suckers
way.

I've got a few beefs about sense of scale - but this is pretty normal for Avengers films. How big are Thanos, Hulk, Hulkbuster and Cull Obsidian supposed to be? They're all the same size when fighting each other, but Hulk is sometimes twice the height of Thor and sometimes only 50% larger. Each of Thanos's fingers is bigger than a 6-year old child's hand... or Steve Roger's hands. One moment his head is the size of Mantis, the next moment it's barely any bigger than Star-Lord's head. I don't get it.

And then there's Eitri, who - lots of laughs from being a dwarf played by Peter Dinklage - is absolutely massive. Considering Thor and Thanos are occasionally similar in size (like at the end), Eitri makes Thor look like a Barbie doll. He must make Thanos look like a toddler, and the premise is that Thanos threatened all the other people like him and then killed them before he even had the gauntlet made?
I also have huge problems with the facial motion capture for Proxima Midnight, who ended up exactly as creepy as the virtual version of Quinn in Tron: Legacy. It was just that bad. And that brings me on to Wakanda...
The shield only goes as far as the ground? Seems like a basic tactical error to me. Also, it can stop what basically amounts to a direct impact from a meteor, but not a bunch of four-armed zombie snakedogs from crawling through it? Also, why did the Black Order take literally one ship with two dudes into New York, one ship with two dudes into Glasgow, but a phalanx of four-armed zombie snakedogs into Wakanda?

Also when Thor turned up and Stormbringered the tits out of the place, why was there still fighting in the next scene? He, like, ended it. But wait, he didn't.
And that brings me on to Thanos...
So. He uses the Power Stone to give him... power. He uses the Space Stone to make portals. He uses the Reality Stone to trick Gamora as he needs her for the Soul Stone, and also to turn Quill's gun into a bubble shooter, Drax into bricks and Mantis into rubber. Then he gets the Soul Stone but... doesn't use it. Then he gets the Time Stone and... doesn't use that either except to retrieve the Mind Stone. In fact, aside from the odd burst of colour as he's swinging about at the Guardians/Strange/Stark/Spidey and then later at the Avengers/Groot/Rocket, he doesn't use the stones apart from making portals at all after he's used the Reality Stone.

The Black Order knew that Shuri was operating on Vision, so what stopped Thanos from portalling into there, holding everyone back with a Reality/Soul stone juju and taking the Mind Stone? For that matter, even one-stone Thanos is stronger than Thor, Loki, Hulk, Heimdall, Valkyrie and, presumably, Korg, combined, so why is the Black Order going to where the stones are to get them when Thanos could portal there in an instant. Loki did in Avengers Assemble, remember, and he possessed the Mind Stone at the time, given to him by Thanos in the sceptre... which Thanos could have used to compel Gamora to tell him where the Soul Stone was, or any other character (Strange, Collector, Nova Prime, Loki) to relinquish their stones, before the first Avengers film.

Basically Thanos really under-used the stones.

And Red Skull told us that the Soul Stone has a special place among the stones, but it just goes on a knuckle with four others, while the Mind Stone takes centre stage? Do me a lemon.
Speaking of Vision:
Boy, he got the shaft in this film didn't he? He was only there to be injured and in danger, and killed. And he's got Vibranium skin, so how did he even get stabbed in the first place? If they'd had him fighting in Wakanda, phasing and flying and using his brain laser, instead of lying around, it would have been over sooner. And how can Scarlet Witch only fling red poo at the people attacking Vision in Glasgow, but can hurl eighty-foot wide alien machines across a battlefield in Wakanda?
I have two immediate concerns about the endings too.
Either way, the Gauntlet as a whole or the Time Stone itself (like Thanos did with Vision) will be used to revert it all. That might be down to Earth's mightiest heroes again or it might be that Thanos's experience inside the Soul Stone at the end there, with tiny Gamora, leads him to regret it all. A third concern is the sequence in which he got the Soul Stone involved him being transported from the precipice to the lake without his knowledge - if everything after that took place inside the Soul Stone, I might get throwing-things angry. However, this might be the single future Strange saw on Titan where Thanos didn't win.

I'm also bothered that the Gauntlet seemed to be damaged when Thanos did his 50% thing.
I laughed at a lot of the interactions between the characters, and enjoyed some of the callbacks, like when Thor said that his best friend:
Was stabbed through the heart...
... but for me it was just another Avengers powered people using their powers in convenient ways while lots of stuff and ordinary people explode film.

Purple words mostly about a purple man.

As much I don't like it because I am a silly fan boy, you're not wrong about a single thing. Dammit.

I'm also bothered that the Gauntlet seemed to be damaged when Thanos did his 50% thing.

I'm assuming that was damage from interaction with Stormbringer.

Also the damaged gauntlet would suggest in the next movie that the heroes won't be able to simply wrest the Gauntlet off Thanos and do their own finger-snap to repair reality.

The rest of your complaints are pretty much spot on. But hey, poop jokes!

This thread be like...

31925016_578893392482634_1353811517476175872_n.png

image1.jpeg

I don't really feel like a sucker since I wasn't really surprised where the movie ended up.

I'm glad I'm not so cynical that I can't suspend disbelief for two and a half hours and enjoy an immensely entertaining superhero movie. That'd be like complaining that the boat sinks at the end of Titanic.

Had I wanted surprises, I'd go and read the comics the next batch of movies are going to be based on.

Last edited:
@Famine all of your points very valid, but while a huge part of me agrees with every word, another smaller part of me is saying “come on man, it’s a movie”

Now going for round two! Shhhhh

Hmm.

Not very impressed with IW - and if you want an unpopular opinion, I've actually not been impressed with any of the three ensemble Avengers films really, certainly not compared to most of the 2nd/3rd films for individual Avengers. They all seem to focus on the same thing: lots of powered people using their powers in convenient ways while lots of stuff and ordinary people explode.

IW is much the same, with a more than a soupcon of Matrix Reloaded/Two Towers/Empire Strikes Back about it. And I don't mean in the critical success, award winning way, I mean in the:

Suddenly ends with the bad guys on top, see you next year for the 150-minute conclusion, suckers
way.

I've got a few beefs about sense of scale - but this is pretty normal for Avengers films. How big are Thanos, Hulk, Hulkbuster and Cull Obsidian supposed to be? They're all the same size when fighting each other, but Hulk is sometimes twice the height of Thor and sometimes only 50% larger. Each of Thanos's fingers is bigger than a 6-year old child's hand... or Steve Roger's hands. One moment his head is the size of Mantis, the next moment it's barely any bigger than Star-Lord's head. I don't get it.

And then there's Eitri, who - lots of laughs from being a dwarf played by Peter Dinklage - is absolutely massive. Considering Thor and Thanos are occasionally similar in size (like at the end), Eitri makes Thor look like a Barbie doll. He must make Thanos look like a toddler, and the premise is that Thanos threatened all the other people like him and then killed them before he even had the gauntlet made?
I also have huge problems with the facial motion capture for Proxima Midnight, who ended up exactly as creepy as the virtual version of Quinn in Tron: Legacy. It was just that bad. And that brings me on to Wakanda...
The shield only goes as far as the ground? Seems like a basic tactical error to me. Also, it can stop what basically amounts to a direct impact from a meteor, but not a bunch of four-armed zombie snakedogs from crawling through it? Also, why did the Black Order take literally one ship with two dudes into New York, one ship with two dudes into Glasgow, but a phalanx of four-armed zombie snakedogs into Wakanda?

Also when Thor turned up and Stormbringered the tits out of the place, why was there still fighting in the next scene? He, like, ended it. But wait, he didn't.
So. He uses the Power Stone to give him... power. He uses the Space Stone to make portals. He uses the Reality Stone to trick Gamora as he needs her for the Soul Stone, and also to turn Quill's gun into a bubble shooter, Drax into bricks and Mantis into rubber. Then he gets the Soul Stone but... doesn't use it. Then he gets the Time Stone and... doesn't use that either except to retrieve the Mind Stone. In fact, aside from the odd burst of colour as he's swinging about at the Guardians/Strange/Stark/Spidey and then later at the Avengers/Groot/Rocket, he doesn't use the stones apart from making portals at all after he's used the Reality Stone.

The Black Order knew that Shuri was operating on Vision, so what stopped Thanos from portalling into there, holding everyone back with a Reality/Soul stone juju and taking the Mind Stone? For that matter, even one-stone Thanos is stronger than Thor, Loki, Hulk, Heimdall, Valkyrie and, presumably, Korg, combined, so why is the Black Order going to where the stones are to get them when Thanos could portal there in an instant. Loki did in Avengers Assemble, remember, and he possessed the Mind Stone at the time, given to him by Thanos in the sceptre... which Thanos could have used to compel Gamora to tell him where the Soul Stone was, or any other character (Strange, Collector, Nova Prime, Loki) to relinquish their stones, before the first Avengers film.

And Red Skull told us that the Soul Stone has a special place among the stones, but it just goes on a knuckle with four others, while the Mind Stone takes centre stage? Do me a lemon.
Speaking of Vision:
Boy, he got the shaft in this film didn't he? He was only there to be injured and in danger, and killed. And he's got Vibranium skin, so how did he even get stabbed in the first place? If they'd had him fighting in Wakanda, phasing and flying and using his brain laser, instead of lying around, it would have been over sooner. And how can Scarlet Witch only fling red poo at the people attacking Vision in Glasgow, but can hurl eighty-foot wide alien machines across a battlefield in Wakanda?
Either way, the Gauntlet as a whole or the Time Stone itself (like Thanos did with Vision) will be used to revert it all. That might be down to Earth's mightiest heroes again or it might be that Thanos's experience inside the Soul Stone at the end there, with tiny Gamora, leads him to regret it all. A third concern is the sequence in which he got the Soul Stone involved him being transported from the precipice to the lake without his knowledge - if everything after that took place inside the Soul Stone, I might get throwing-things angry. However, this might be the single future Strange saw on Titan where Thanos didn't win.

I laughed at a lot of the interactions between the characters, and enjoyed some of the callbacks, like when Thor said that his best friend:
... but for me it was just another Avengers powered people using their powers in convenient ways while lots of stuff and ordinary people explode film.
You missed one glaring point.

They went to Edinburgh, not Glasgow.
:sly:

suspend disbelief
Contrary to popular opinion, suspension of disbelief is the act of accepting a premise that may be untrue in order to enjoy a sufficiently compelling narrative based on that premise. In terms of the Avengers, that would be accepting that - in the context of this story - superpowers exist and people have them. And some of them are deities.

Suspension of disbelief is not repeatedly accepting contradictions within a narrative in order to continue to enjoy that narrative. Such as the weird changes of size of the larger characters, such as:

An unpowered Thanos being any threat to 200 people, each the size of Eitri.
Thanos being willing to use a single Infinity Stone at a time to acquire more of them, until he has four of them and not being willing to use any of them. Except for stronger punching.
Ebony Maw being able to move things with his mind (and no glowing, like Scarlet Witch or Strange) with almost precognitive speed in New York but being powerless against an explosive decompression.
Vision. Seriously, his only purpose in the entire film was to be injured through his Vibranium skin so that he couldn't use his phasing powers and then ultimately be torn apart by Witch so Thanos could use the Time Stone and pull his brain out.
Stormbreaker. It's made from the same stuff as Mjollnir, which an inconsequential being like Hela can tear apart with one hand, but it's more powerful than a fully-Stoned Thanos? And Thanos didn't know this when he killed every dwarf (a bit more than his 50% target) except the one who could make this weapon - and still didn't know it when he possessed the Power, Space, Reality and Soul gems simultaneously?
The Wakandan shield will repel enough kinetic energy to stop a space ship deorbiting straight into it, but be incapable of holding back Midnight's sword or the dog-snake things literally crawling through it. And it only goes as far as the ground. And when the aliens have a device to go under it, why didn't they open with that?
Hey, anyone remember when Thor smashed the bifrost apart in Thor, and then they couldn't use the bifrost until it was rebuilt, except Odin was able to send Thor by alternate means ("How much dark energy did the All Father have to muster to conjure you here?")? Turns out that Heimdall's sword can create a spontaneous bifrost - although presumably it requires him to be dying. And so can Storm Breaker.
Two-stone Thanos is the "most powerful being in the universe", but a moody Russian girl imbued with the power of one of those stones (which he already has in his glove) a few years previously can hold five-stone Thanos back with red goo while she destroys another stone with same red goo - even though she struggled against a couple of Black Order gonks a few hours beforehand.
And there's way, way more of them. It's like the Russos have written an end-point and hope you won't notice it gets there by ignoring big bits of what's previously happened in the series, and indeed within the same film, by putting in huge explosions and fight scenes. It's not like I'm saying "OMG a neutron star doesn't look like that, come on guys" (although, you know, it doesn't), it's that the film repeatedly uses anti-McGuffins - ignoring the existence of things, or having characters forget them, in order to advance the plot.

If I was too cynical to suspend disbelief, I wouldn't be able to enjoy any fiction. All fiction is based on an untrue premise somewhere, and science fiction and fantasy even more so. I certainly wouldn't be able to enjoy other Avengers films, but I really rather liked Ragnarok, Homecoming, Iron Man, Captain America, Ant-Man and both Guardians films. And all of Agents of SHIELD. The series high point is still Winter Soldier though. And ultimately, despite Tony's hypocrisy over the actions of his own best friend when reprogrammed for evil in Iron Man 2, I enjoyed Civil War too.

another smaller part of me is saying “come on man, it’s a movie”
Indeed, but this harks back to the above. "It's a movie" covers the suspension of disbelief required to accept that this is set in a world (universe) where some people have superpowers, through technological or biological means. It doesn't cover the huge contradictions within its own narrative.

I also disliked the way it started, but only when it became clear it wasn't continuing like that:

Inside the first ten minutes, Thanos had killed Loki and Heimdall. Neither is really a super, but both have abilities (that really should have alerted Heimdall to the danger) and are among the recurring characters. That was a great way to start - look at these significant people from the canon. Now they're dead. You loved them, they're played by famous, proper actors, and they're dead. No-one's too big to die. No-one's safe.

And, other than Gamora and Vision, that was it. No other returning character - and absolutely none of the supers with their own films - died. Discounting the end, where select supers stopped existing (and what that means for the next film; they're probably all inside the Soul Stone, like Gamora is) in The Snapture, that was 2.5 hours of literally everyone being safe. Had he killed Mantis and Drax at Knowhere instead of making them into amusing shapes that they'd recover from once he left, that would have been great. Or struck a killing blow on Tony "We should have a kid" Stark. Or rather than hurling glowy punches at the Avengers in Wakanda, torn them to pieces with the stones he hadn't been using (the purple one DESTROYS PLANETS in Guardians).
I probably won't bother with the next one until it's out on DVD, and I can watch it as one film.

Looking forward to Ant-Man 2 and Captain Marvel though. The standalone character films are usually far better (ignoring Iron Man 3, which blew), and Coulson's back :D

You missed one glaring point.
And then suddenly Durham in the middle of it all...

@Famine i want to see a TV programme where you analyse other programmes with glaring plot holes with fan boys of those programmes. Simply called “Famine and a fan boy”.

I’d tune in for that show.

a few points after a second viewing. Thor definitely states Thanos killed “half” his ship/people so maybe they’re captive on his ship?

Thor is incredible throughout, absolutely my favourite character. He’s fuelled by loss, he’s lost everything, he’s an absolute badass and can’t wait to see him reprise his role as Thor in the next film.

And when I heard off screen, although I knew it was coming (which somewhat made it worse) “Mr Stark I don’t feel so good” holy moly I felt rough. I was in a proper state watching Peter die a second time round

Last edited:
@Famine i want to see a TV programme where you analyse other programmes with glaring plot holes with fan boys of those programmes. Simply called “Famine and a fan boy”.

I’d tune in for that show.
You should see the Star Trek Discovery thread :lol:

Hmm.

way.

Speaking of Vision:

I also noticed all these points, but coming out the theatre and realising I was thoroughly entertained, these were all minor issues. Although I am a marvel fanboy. I accept these stories are based on comics (which are always littered with plotholes, retcons etc...) Seeing the amount of characters that were in this movie it is amazing they made a coherent movie. (looking at you again Justice League)

All those complaints tended to drown out in a burst of white noise for me. They're certainly not affecting my ability to enjoy the movie and addressing each laborious point one by one by one wouldn't've made it any more exciting for me.

Ken
As much I don't like it because I am a silly fan boy, you're not wrong about a single thing. Dammit.
@Famine all of your points very valid, but while a huge part of me agrees with every word, another smaller part of me is saying “come on man, it’s a movie”

Now going for round two! Shhhhh

His points really aren't valid though are they, most are extremely pedantic or simply missing the point entirely. If it was anyone else I'd assume he's just trying to have an edgy unpopular opinion for the sake of it.

Straight off the bat you're complaining about the focus being on superheros using their superpowers, how was that the focus of Avengers movies any more than any other superhero movie? Seems like quite a stupid thing to complain about to me.
I never noticed any significant change in any of the characters sizes and some of the examples you gave are simply wrong. Young Gamoras hand is quite clearly smaller than Steves, especially when you consider than Thanos is wearing the gauntlet in one scene and not the other. Thanos' head is also never as big as Mantis, not sure where you got that from but here, watch it again.

And I'm not sure what gave you the idea that strength is dependent on size in the MCU, and there's nothing to suggest that the dwarves are anywhere near as powerful as Thanos who can easily beat up the Hulk without any stones at all (there was no indication that he used the power stone in their fight).

I'll agree with you on that one, didn't look great.
Fair enough point on the shield, but I find it very hard to believe you can't figure out why the Black Order only took two people to the first two places and an army to Wakanda as it's incredibly obvious. They clearly felt they could handle getting the stones by themselves, which was the case with Doctor Strange and the time stone and nearly the case with the mind stone if Captain America and friends didn't turn up. But when they were defeated and no longer had the element of surprise they went and got their army to get the job done. It's hardly a huge mystery.
Again, what makes you think Thor ended the fight when he turned up? He took out quite a few but there was nothing there to suggest he took out the entire army in one go.

Another semi-decent point, yes he could have won much more easily but he only seemed to be using them as much as he felt he needed to which he underestimated on Titan. His fight with the Hulk where he didn't seem to use the power stone and Ebony Maw said to Cull Obsidian that he should let Thanos have his fun suggests he could have been intentionally not using the stones to their full potential because he likes a good fight. But they could have done with making that a bit more obvious if it was the case.
The Black Order knew that Shuri was operating on Vision, so what stopped Thanos from portalling into there, holding everyone back with a Reality/Soul stone juju and taking the Mind Stone? For that matter, even one-stone Thanos is stronger than Thor, Loki, Hulk, Heimdall, Valkyrie and, presumably, Korg, combined, so why is the Black Order going to where the stones are to get them when Thanos could portal there in an instant.
Thanos went to get the reality stone and soul stone which is why he sent the Black Order to Earth. As he turned up to Titan after Iron Man etc turned up on Ebony Maws ship it's obvious that he would have got the stones faster if the Black Order had succeeded in the their mission.
Loki did in Avengers Assemble, remember, and he possessed the Mind Stone at the time, given to him by Thanos in the sceptre... which Thanos could have used to compel Gamora to tell him where the Soul Stone was, or any other character (Strange, Collector, Nova Prime, Loki) to relinquish their stones, before the first Avengers film.
When Loki attacked in the first Avengers Thanos didn't know where all the stones where, the reality, soul and power stone were still missing (maybe the time stone too if he didn't know it was on Earth). He had to wait until he knew where they all were (or pretty much) so that he could get them quickly and the universe wouldn't have enough time to realise what was going on and stop him.
The mind stone is bigger... You're really trying hard here to make the movie look as bad as possible for some reason and I don't get it. There's legitimate problems with the movie like them getting so close to taking the gauntlet and then failing which seemed a bit forced, would have been better if they just fought him and got taken out one by one until it was just Iron Man and cut out the bit where they nearly won. But you seem intent on massively exaggerating the problems with the movie to the point that you're making a big deal out of small or almost unnoticeable issues or simply making up problems by completely missing obvious explanations.

I get the feeling that the OCD friendly version of this flick would've been, like, ten minutes long.

Personally I'd rather leave that kind of thing to people like HISHE. At least they have fun and laughs while doing it.

I get the feeling that the OCD friendly version of this flick would've been, like, ten minutes long.

Personally I'd rather leave that kind of thing to people like HISHE. At least they have fun and laughs while doing it.
Probably more like 100 hours to explain every single plothole and character choice/motivation:lol:

Films been out a while, do we really still need spoiler tags, I mean, it's not like there's anything else to discuss in this thread other than the contents of the film?

Films been out a while, do we really still need spoiler tags, I mean, it's not like there's anything else to discuss in this thread other than the contents of the film?
Maybe the OP should change the thread to Avengers Infinity SPOILERS thread... But for anyone else who stumbles upon this thread, just one spoiler could ruin the experience for that person.

Could just put spoilers in the title now that nearly everyone has seen it, would make posting a lot easier.

IIRC, we waited two weeks or so for the other big "event" film to stop using spoilers. Hard to tell since the entire franchise is discussed in one gigantic, monolithic thread.

Wah a superhero movie with powered individuals making those who aren't powered at all or skilled in the sense of superhero like task fodder? Seems perhaps some people just don't get the context of superhero material (movies and comic books).

I was very glad to see these within a couple of days of release given the sheer volume of spoilers I have seen since. This thread is one of the few places left giving courtesy to those who can't instantly get to a cinema when a film releases. That said, you have only yourself to blame if you choose to click on a thread directly talking about a film you haven't seen and then see spoilers...

I was very glad to see these within a couple of days of release given the sheer volume of spoilers I have seen since. This thread is one of the few places left giving courtesy to those who can't instantly get to a cinema when a film releases. That said, you have only yourself to blame if you choose to click on a thread directly talking about a film you haven't seen and then see spoilers...
In all fairness this thread started out as a preview. Someone cant assume there are spoilers in this thread.

Same case with all movie threads, the thread is normally created right back when the film is first announced and will run long past the DVD release... Generally, once the film is out you can expect the spoiler heavy discussion to take place. And as previously mentioned, for a few weeks at least people here are good enough to still put it behind the spoiler tag wall, just in case.

I accept these stories are based on comics (which are always littered with plotholes, retcons etc...)
It's interesting because, Coulson and TAHITI aside, the movies had, to that point, so far avoided any of the nonsense that makes the comics dreadful to me. They've held a decent continuity - the visibly dead have stayed dead (usually the bad guys, admittedly, with only Quicksilver springing to mind for the supers) and nobody's been to parallel universes and alternate realities. Well, not yet. Up until Doctor Strange it had even avoided time travel and, honestly, it's not dealt with time travel all that badly yet either (it can be a killer for sci-fi/fantasy if done badly). We'll have to see if that remains the case with the next one!

And we're not talking plot holes either, more routinely ignoring the plot completely. A plot hole would be "Why, in all the infinite universe, are all of the Infinity Stones in our galaxy? And by galaxy, we mean three of them were on Earth simultaneously in the 1940s (Time, Space, Reality) without anyone knowing, and for separate reasons, and then four (Time, Space, Reality, Mind) in the 2010s? Isn't that just a bit convenient?"

I mean, can anyone answer why:

Scarlet Witch, granted her powers by Zemo's experimentation with the Space Stone, can hold back Thanos bearing five of the six stones including the Space Stone, when the Thanos with two stones was already described as the most powerful being in the universe? He should be exponentially more powerful with five, but tiny, griefy Russian girl has no problem keeping him at bay. Or throwing those giant spinny things off the Wakandan battlefield.
Straight off the bat you're complaining about the focus being on superheros using their superpowers, how was that the focus of Avengers movies any more than any other superhero movie? Seems like quite a stupid thing to complain about to me.
Nope. You missed "in convenient ways".

In the ensemble movies, perhaps with the exception of Civil War, the characters tend to only use the full spread of abilities they have when it suits the plot for them to do so. I mean, we can go back to Scarlet Witch again here who:

Can only fling bits of red poo at the Black Order gonks, even when they're beating her down, but can muster giant bursts of... red... to keep five-stone Thanos back. Or the thing above with the weird rotary machines used in the Wakanda battle.

On the sizing:
I never noticed any significant change in any of the characters sizes and some of the examples you gave are simply wrong. Young Gamoras hand is quite clearly smaller than Steves, especially when you consider than Thanos is wearing the gauntlet in one scene and not the other. Thanos' head is also never as big as Mantis, not sure where you got that from but here, watch it again.
When Mantis is on Thanos's shoulders, making him sleepy, his head is essentially the size of her torso, and her hands on his cheekbones are about the size of Deadpool's new hand on Blind Al's cheek. Okay, a bit bigger than that - maybe a six-year-old's hand. In the very next scene, Star-Lord is face-to-face with Thanos and their heads are - ballsack chin aside - almost identical. Thanos has a slightly larger top lip, but from mouth up they're practically parallel. Perhaps Quill's got a huge forehead due to Pratt's receding hair?

Young Gamora's hands are definitely smaller than Steve's, but she's still grasping a single finger with her entire hand. So is he, albeit more of a finger. I have a six-year old. Her hands are a lot smaller than mine, and I'm not a buff super soldier. It's slightly more obvious with the Thanos-small knife he gives to young Gamora that she later tries to kill herself with.

Thanos-and-Baby-Gamora.jpg

screen-shot-2018-03-16-at-9-17-49-am.png

And it's not just this film. Whenever a large character like Hulk appears, or the Hulkbuster suit, there are disparities in how large the characters appear by comparison, scene-to-scene. Particularly with Thor, who appears a lot with Hulk. Their relative sizes in some scenes of Assemble are very different compared to in Ragnarok.

On the manpower:
Unless I'm very much mistaken - and I may be - the Black Order's two donut ships were the same in all three instances. Maw's was empty when it crash landed on Titan. Midnight's was full of those zombie snake dog things. I understand the concept of going with a backup plan, but it strikes me as odd that Midnight, who needed one, had one but Maw, who didn't, didn't.

Perhaps they flew off between Glasgow and Wakanda to stock up on snakedogs? Or perhaps Maw's wasn't empty and the Russos didn't feel the need to show us all the snakedogs being blown to pieces in the crash landing.

On the timings:
The quickest way from location to location for any being is the Space Stone's portals. That's how Thanos got from the Asgard assault to Knowhere, from Knowhere to Titan and from Titan to Earth.

Once he'd taken the power stone from the Nova Corps and then retaken the Space Stone from the Asgard, he was "the most powerful being in the universe" and only ever a portal away from anywhere. I'm not sure how the Black Order came to be aware of the Time Stone being in the possession of Strange, or the Mind Stone being in the possession of Vision, but they went right to them, simultaneously (probably - it was night in Scotland and day in New York) with no mucking about.

Portal, kill Vision, Mind Stone taken, compel Gamora to tell him where the Soul Stone is, compel Strange to give over the Time Stone willingly without his enchantments on the Eye. Also portal, kill Strange, Time Stone taken, wind back time to bring Gamora back if he loved her that much.

On the jewellery:
It's not a case of "trying to make the movie look bad" - I don't need to, because it either is bad or isn't from your point of view - but it seems a weird bit of design to have the stones arranged like that.

The Soul Stone is the most significant - and will be in the next film, I'll wager - because it's the only one he can't take. He has to earn it, which he does with his child's life. It's supposedly the only sentient one too.

From a design point of view it makes my nose wrinkle that it's not the one in the middle of it all. And the Mind Stone definitely isn't bigger, because it's in Vision's face and not the size of Steve Rogers' palm like the slot in the gauntlet:

Vision_Forest.jpg

Just to add intrigue to this, I've seen this image with the Soul Stone in the middle floating around before but I have no idea where it's come from...

Thanos-Infinity-War.jpg
Wah a superhero movie with powered individuals making those who aren't powered at all or skilled in the sense of superhero like task fodder? Seems perhaps some people just don't get the context of superhero material (movies and comic books).
No idea what you're responding to, but if it's me, you might want to reread what I said about conveniently (or selectively) using their powers.

However, on the fodder front, I've seen all of the MCU films, all of the DCEU films (which suck a LOT harder), all of the previous non-MCU Marvel films (including all three Fantastic Four films; the second one isn't as bad as everyone says), Spawn and Howard the Duck. Generally speaking, the only collateral damage is to property, or credited roles, and everyone else miraculously survives - or the superheros save them. Or Christopher Reeve gets upset and reverses time.

Avengers Assemble is, I think, the first one I saw which folded the disaster movie narrative into the superhero one, where lots and lots of regular folk die but the heroes save as many as they can. I'm not sure they explicitly stated it in the film itself, but in several of the attached TV series and films there are mentions of people who died in The Incident.

However, the other Avengers films are not like that at all. They're so much not like that I'm actually struggling to remember a single bystander (non henchman, lead villain, lead superhero, member of villain/superhero family) that is killed in MCU at all, outside of AA/AOU and Civil War. In fact Civil War directly deals with what happens when one character accidentally wipes out a few innocent people when she's using her powers to protect the other Avengers.

To be fair, IW isn't exactly lousy with collateral smearings either:

Ignoring the whole "wiping out half of all life" thing, but that's probably going to be undone

And as a quick, unrelated note (unrelated unless you're the person who's had two posts deleted and now can't participate in the thread), in this thread we're discussing a film. Some may like the film. Some may not. Those who don't like the film should not insult those who do for doing so. Those who do like the film should not insult those who don't for not doing so.

If you can't discuss the film, and its strengths and weaknesses, without discussing the character traits of the people who are discussing the film, find another site to do so. We are not Facebook, we are not Twitter and we are not Youtube.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back