Avengers: Endgame (2019)Movies 

• Thread starter Famine
  • 134 comments
A good film, enjoyed it a lot but too many jokes for me.

Also, Thor's hammy, fake English accent is so grating. It makes my teeth itch.

Disappointed that Thanos lost. He's so cool.
The score is tied. Thanos: 1, The Avengers:1

Just saw it today. It was a rather good ending to the Infinity saga. Not amazing, not terrible, just rather good. There were a couple of things that irritated me:

Even when Rhodes's idea of traveling back in time to kill Thanos in his infancy gets shot down and the concept gets properly explained to him, is there no sense of any sort of paradox that occurs when the present day characters meet their past selves? Scott is even wary about this, but he gets ignored.

Black Widow's death; I feel that they could've given a little bit more expounding on her character background (family, relationships etc.) before killing her off.

A minor one, but they really missed the chance to have Rocket snap at Thor for calling him a rabbit one too many times. I didn't hear him get called 'rabbit' outside of Asgard once in Endgame.

One aspect I really enjoyed was
the various snippets of the past Marvel movies and how the present day characters interacted with them. I found it especially amusing how Rhodes knocked Quill out during the re-enactment of the (main) opening scene of Guardians I.

Last edited:
The amount of $$$ Endgame already makes is astonishing. If there's a movie that can dethrone Avatar, it's this (and well deserved at that).

Some more things I've thought about after calming myself down from all the emotions a week later:
Agree that I would've liked to see Hulk face off against Thanos again. Though I read that Prof Hulk is the weakest incarnation so it probably wouldn't change the result much.

I've read that Thor is extremely nerfed in this movie. Even with Stormbreaker + Mjolnir he could barely hold his own against Thanos, whereas he almost solo'd him in IW despite Thanos having all Infinity Stones. My take is Thor hasn't fought for 5 years, he's out of shape physically and mentally. Thanos doesn't have the stones but this is in his prime after conquering many worlds (jokes about sitting in a chair for too long aside), and he's using his armor and has the double bladed sword which were both made from Uru metal too AFAIK (Marvel fans forgive me if my knowledge is wrong). Also in IW Thor had an opportunistic attack while in Endgame Thanos knew what was coming. I agree I would've liked to see Thor go full OP against Thanos, but I guess they had to do it like this so the rest of the heroes can be relevant (i.e. mostly Captain Marvel).

Also, where did the Asgardian army came from? I thought they all died in the battle against Hela. Unless the surviving civilian Asgardians somehow trained hard in the 5 year vacuum?

Would've liked to see more fighting from the Black Order too. I could only remember Corvus getting skewered quite easily by Okoye...

Stark's snap at the end, I wonder if he had closed his helmet would he have survived the energy blast? Holding all 6 stones didn't seem like it taxed him as much as Banner did with the Iron Gauntlet. I still think his sacrifice gives the story the right ending and emotional weight, but I can't help but feel a retired Tony Stark going back to a happy family would've been a nice ending too.

According to the toyline, IM armor in Endgame is Mk 85 (IW was Mk 50). I would've loved to see the new Iron Legion fought alongside everyone in the final battle.

In terms of future movies, I would like to see:
-Asguardians of the Galaxy 3 (Watiti + Gunn is going to be hilarious)
-Black Widow prequel (already planned I think)
-Captain America: Lost in Time (story of returning all stones + any other side adventures before settling down with Peggy)
-Loki solo movie

Also excited to see how they will integrate X-Men and F4 in this universe. Though seeing anyone other than Jackman as Wolverine is going to feel oh so wrong.

Last edited:
Saw it this morning. A great closure to the Avengers story. Was slow to start but got wild once it picked up. Towards the end it got really emotional and I had to wipe away tears.

It was very enjoyable regardless.

I'm going to see Endgame for a second time tomorrow, I don't go twice for many movies but there was so much to take in I think this film needs a second viewing.

One little think about Thor. I think there's a misconception on why he almost defeated Thanos in IW. One thing I noticed, is that Thanos gets vulnerable everytime he gets all the 6 stones in the gauntlet, allowing any opponent to attack. Marvel did in Endgame, so did Thor in IW. Then, Thanos didn't have armor or weapon in IW, and he didn't use any of the stones once he got all 6. He only used an energy beam from it. Let's say, if he used the reality stone, he could turn Stormbreaker into bubbles (for example), or if he used the space stone, he could create a black hole that would swallow the axe, like he did against Doctor Strange. And this is based off a couple of scenes from these two movies. Stormbreaker could have some kind of spell that would make it immune to the reality stone or something, but even then, it would be independent of Thor's power level. Even if Thor was weakened by it's state, I don't think on his max power, he would have defeated Thanos.

Thanos, I see that his biggest weakness is magic related powers. Scarlett Witch got the better off him, by her own. What I don't get about Wanda's powers is, does she have power just over objects? If so, does that mean that, if she is facing someone, and that someone is naked, and there are no moveable objects around, that she can't do much to the opponent other than project energy beams/balls?
Captain Marvel, is clearly the powerhouse here, too powerful for my taste. But, could her powers have increased by being shot at with energy blasts from Thanos's shipe? I mean, she gets power from energy blasts, right? If the guns didn't shoot her, she wouldn't be able to face Thanos alone without her powers running out. This could mean that, Thanos in a hand to hand fight would end up winning. If his blade was enchanted like Stormbreaker, he could likely cut Capt Marvel in half.

I'm actually glad that they didn't put Hulk vs Thanos in the end. IF Hulk somehow defeated Thanos, then it would create the problem of an undefeatable hero, which defeats the purpose of the previous movie. Also, the snap in IW and the snap by the Hulk just shows how strong Thanos is. He snaped and survived even though he had a HUGE wound in the chest, stood perfectly conscious, even managed to open a portal and go through. And he used the stones a second time, when he destroyed them with them, and survived again. Hulk passed out and had to get rid of the gauntlet.

About the movie itself, it was such a good experience. So many great moments. Goosebumps, tears, happiness, sadness, laughs, I mean, how many movies do this to you? And Thanos, what a villain. I mean, for the first time in a movie, I felt simpathetic over his dead. The way he took defeat, in pure silence, just acknowledging that he lost, was so "humanized". I don't see how they will be able to bring characters as relatable and loveable as these. Both the heroes and the villain.

Now, is Thanos worthy? He grabed Stormbreaker, so does this mean that he is worthy or that Stormbreaker isn't enchanted like Mjolnir?

Now the stones, in this version of the universe, there are no Infinity Stones, so how does that affect the universe? Will their atoms combine back? Will any higher entity recreate them/new ones?

To end up my text, I was hoping that, with the end of this movie, the message was for humans and other technological species to become less destructive and more responsible over the consumption of natural resources. Such a big movie could bring such an important message. Maybe the Living Tribunal points this out, that if people can't be more responsible, dangers like Thanos could be more frequent. After all, war on resources is a pretty common think, even in mankind history.

@dacc10
Good points, to add to those, I don't beleive Stormbreaker is enchanted in the same way as Mjolnir was. Mjolnir was enchanted by Odin, who was dead when Stormbreaker was forged. Stormbreaker does have the power to harness lightening and in turn make Thor more powerful, which was evidenced when Thor passed out after Stormbreaker was forged in IW and they have to give him the weapon to revive him.

Without the infinity stones the universe is a greater risk, that's what the Ancient One told Banner. There are plenty of ways that can pan out, could Kang be introduced now the Avengers have dabbled with time travel? There's an absolute wealth of bad guys Marvel can use, the big question is, can any of them top Thanos. Fantastic character, well written, well acted, they ook thier time building up to him but the payoff was well worth it.

Caught my second viewing today at the Manchester IMAX, well worth the IMAX experience.

I have returned from seeing Endgame. It was worthwhile. I managed to sit through without going to the can, even though I got a huge cream soda.

I had already known Iron Man that died but I didn't know the circumstances. Didn't they say Downey was done with the role anyway? I heard some nonspecific stuff about Captain America but i don't remember what, though I like how they wrote him off. I already had my suspicions that Sam Wilson would take up the mantle anyway, which I hope they follow through on for future movies. Haven't seen the trailer for Far From Home but I've heard that'll be the actual finale of the Infinity Saga. Honestly I wish they featured Captain Marvel more prominently, given that she's pretty much the most powerful Avenger.

Also, they turned the infamous (And rightfully widely reviled) "Captain Hydra" stunt into a joke.

After the Infinity Saga they should do Secret Wars next.

Last edited:
One little think about Thor. I think there's a misconception on why he almost defeated Thanos in IW. One thing I noticed, is that Thanos gets vulnerable everytime he gets all the 6 stones in the gauntlet, allowing any opponent to attack. Marvel did in Endgame, so did Thor in IW. Then, Thanos didn't have armor or weapon in IW, and he didn't use any of the stones once he got all 6. He only used an energy beam from it. Let's say, if he used the reality stone, he could turn Stormbreaker into bubbles (for example), or if he used the space stone, he could create a black hole that would swallow the axe, like he did against Doctor Strange. And this is based off a couple of scenes from these two movies. Stormbreaker could have some kind of spell that would make it immune to the reality stone or something, but even then, it would be independent of Thor's power level. Even if Thor was weakened by it's state, I don't think on his max power, he would have defeated Thanos.

Thanos, I see that his biggest weakness is magic related powers. Scarlett Witch got the better off him, by her own. What I don't get about Wanda's powers is, does she have power just over objects? If so, does that mean that, if she is facing someone, and that someone is naked, and there are no moveable objects around, that she can't do much to the opponent other than project energy beams/balls?
Captain Marvel, is clearly the powerhouse here, too powerful for my taste. But, could her powers have increased by being shot at with energy blasts from Thanos's shipe? I mean, she gets power from energy blasts, right? If the guns didn't shoot her, she wouldn't be able to face Thanos alone without her powers running out. This could mean that, Thanos in a hand to hand fight would end up winning. If his blade was enchanted like Stormbreaker, he could likely cut Capt Marvel in half.

I'm actually glad that they didn't put Hulk vs Thanos in the end. IF Hulk somehow defeated Thanos, then it would create the problem of an undefeatable hero, which defeats the purpose of the previous movie. Also, the snap in IW and the snap by the Hulk just shows how strong Thanos is. He snaped and survived even though he had a HUGE wound in the chest, stood perfectly conscious, even managed to open a portal and go through. And he used the stones a second time, when he destroyed them with them, and survived again. Hulk passed out and had to get rid of the gauntlet.

About the movie itself, it was such a good experience. So many great moments. Goosebumps, tears, happiness, sadness, laughs, I mean, how many movies do this to you? And Thanos, what a villain. I mean, for the first time in a movie, I felt simpathetic over his dead. The way he took defeat, in pure silence, just acknowledging that he lost, was so "humanized". I don't see how they will be able to bring characters as relatable and loveable as these. Both the heroes and the villain.

Now, is Thanos worthy? He grabed Stormbreaker, so does this mean that he is worthy or that Stormbreaker isn't enchanted like Mjolnir?

Now the stones, in this version of the universe, there are no Infinity Stones, so how does that affect the universe? Will their atoms combine back? Will any higher entity recreate them/new ones?

To end up my text, I was hoping that, with the end of this movie, the message was for humans and other technological species to become less destructive and more responsible over the consumption of natural resources. Such a big movie could bring such an important message. Maybe the Living Tribunal points this out, that if people can't be more responsible, dangers like Thanos could be more frequent. After all, war on resources is a pretty common think, even in mankind history.

Apparently I read somewhere that Eitri might have put a spell on Stormbreaker in IW. That's why it shrugged off the beam of all 6 Infinity stones like nothing. Of course, Thanos was unprepared in IW as you said. If he had used the actual powers of the stones then it might turn out differently.

Scarlet could also change the density of an object. Remember when she pushed Vision through the building in Civil War? Also she ripped Ultron's core out of his body to kill him. In theory she could also do that with human internals (would be much more gruesome tho :ill:).

I'm not most well versed about Captain Marvel's powers in the comics, but in the MCU I don't think she needs to absorb any kind of energy before projecting those proton blasts or turning binary (her super mode that goes through spaceships like tissue paper). It's just something she innately can do (once that controller chip was removed in her solo movie). In the final matchup, we see that she's on par with Thanos strength wise and only the power stone could knock her back. I'm intrigued actually what would happen if Thanos used the space stone against her, since that's the original source of her powers.

Stormbreaker doesn't have Odin's "worthiness" spell, so yes anyone can lift it if they're strong enough. By extension though, it also can't produce lightning on its own (that has to come from the wielder). Compared to Mjolnir which has the worthiness spell, but if you are worthy, then you gain full access to Thor's powers (that's why Cap could also summon the lightning when he used it). "Whoever he shall be worthy, he shall possess the power of Thor" is the full enchantment.

The stones missing creates an interesting paradigm. It could be that they have served their purpose in Thanos' final snap to destroy them, so that's it and the universe will be ok. If you've watched Spiderman's new trailer there's some talk about multiverses opening up... And of course don't forget there's Loki on the loose with a space stone somewhere...

Apparently I read somewhere that Eitri might have put a spell on Stormbreaker in IW. That's why it shrugged off the beam of all 6 Infinity stones like nothing. Of course, Thanos was unprepared in IW as you said. If he had used the actual powers of the stones then it might turn out differently.

Scarlet could also change the density of an object. Remember when she pushed Vision through the building in Civil War? Also she ripped Ultron's core out of his body to kill him. In theory she could also do that with human internals (would be much more gruesome tho :ill:).

I'm not most well versed about Captain Marvel's powers in the comics, but in the MCU I don't think she needs to absorb any kind of energy before projecting those proton blasts or turning binary (her super mode that goes through spaceships like tissue paper). It's just something she innately can do (once that controller chip was removed in her solo movie). In the final matchup, we see that she's on par with Thanos strength wise and only the power stone could knock her back. I'm intrigued actually what would happen if Thanos used the space stone against her, since that's the original source of her powers.

Stormbreaker doesn't have Odin's "worthiness" spell, so yes anyone can lift it if they're strong enough. By extension though, it also can't produce lightning on its own (that has to come from the wielder). Compared to Mjolnir which has the worthiness spell, but if you are worthy, then you gain full access to Thor's powers (that's why Cap could also summon the lightning when he used it). "Whoever he shall be worthy, he shall possess the power of Thor" is the full enchantment.

The stones missing creates an interesting paradigm. It could be that they have served their purpose in Thanos' final snap to destroy them, so that's it and the universe will be ok. If you've watched Spiderman's new trailer there's some talk about multiverses opening up... And of course don't forget there's Loki on the loose with a space stone somewhere...
The space stones apparently still exist in the main MCU timeline, Thanos didn't destroy them completley, he just reduced them to atoms, but they are still present on that atomic level. As for Loki, yes he's alive and loose but in an alternate timeline, that could possibly tie into the Loki TV series which is in development.

The space stones apparently still exist in the main MCU timeline, Thanos didn't destroy them completley, he just reduced them to atoms, but they are still present on that atomic level. As for Loki, yes he's alive and loose but in an alternate timeline, that could possibly tie into the Loki TV series which is in development.

If they're reduced to atoms, then they would just be like any other element though, without the special stone properties. And who knows how far they're all scattered by this point. It would take some mega level being to reconstruct them, which would take the MCU universe so far off its semi-realistic grounding I don't think it's worthwhile. Personally I'm happy if that's the last we've seen of the Infinity stones. The only thing is, what will Doctor Strange use to control time now?

If they're reduced to atoms, then they would just be like any other element though, without the special stone properties. And who knows how far they're all scattered by this point. It would take some mega level being to reconstruct them, which would take the MCU universe so far off its semi-realistic grounding I don't think it's worthwhile. Personally I'm happy if that's the last we've seen of the Infinity stones. The only thing is, what will Doctor Strange use to control time now?
Was a stone used for the Avengers to travel back in time? ;)

It was okay, every possible cliche combined in one movie. But still a decent sendoff to old characters. I think I'm done with marvel from now on, I really don't like any of the remaining heroes, Tom Holland and Chris Pratt are really annoying as their characters, Thor's overplayed to hell now, Dr Strange and Antman are just boring, I don't feel compelled to watch any more adventures. Besides in the last few years it has become obvious that nobody aside from CGI artists are putting any serious effort anymore, acting is poor, cinematography is poor, the plot is poor, the soundtracks are generic. Watching a crowd of CG characters fight it out in the end has become really stale and predictable, nobody on the heroes side is ever in danger or gets as much as a scratch. I understand that the target audience is children and teenagers, so it's time for me to move on as my tastes are different now.

nobody on the heroes side is ever in danger or gets as much as a scratch. I understand that the target audience is children and teenagers, so it's time for me to move on as my tastes are different now.
Are you sure you saw the same movie as us?

Anyway judging by the numbers the target audience is everybody. I doubt most of those cinemagoers were forcing themselves to see a movie they didn't like.

It was okay, every possible cliche combined in one movie. But still a decent sendoff to old characters. I think I'm done with marvel from now on, I really don't like any of the remaining heroes, Tom Holland and Chris Pratt are really annoying as their characters, Thor's overplayed to hell now, Dr Strange and Antman are just boring, I don't feel compelled to watch any more adventures. Besides in the last few years it has become obvious that nobody aside from CGI artists are putting any serious effort anymore, acting is poor, cinematography is poor, the plot is poor, the soundtracks are generic. Watching a crowd of CG characters fight it out in the end has become really stale and predictable, nobody on the heroes side is ever in danger or gets as much as a scratch. I understand that the target audience is children and teenagers, so it's time for me to move on as my tastes are different now.
Hmmmm... That's an interesting take on the movie. I personally do not think Tom Holland and Chris Pratt are annoying, whilst the acting, cinematography and plot is top notch. If I'm honest, you won't see a movie this monumental, emotional and hard-hitting again.

Are you sure you saw the same movie as us?

Anyway judging by the numbers the target audience is everybody. I doubt most of those cinemagoers were forcing themselves to see a movie they didn't like.
It's a cultural event at this point, the hype swept up everyone who has even remotely heard of Iron Man or Captain America. It's fine, a movie making a ton of money doesn't mean it's good. Shawshank Redemption bombed for example, now it's considered a classic. Endgame isn't bad, it's just unimaginative, safe and predictable, a perfect summer blockbuster than doesn't provoke thought or emotion. It's fine, it's just that I've grown tired of the formula and the characters and same arcs reused over and over again. IW was much better in my opinion and Thanos winning felt fresh, in Endgame he's sadly demoted to being a generic villain with barely 5 minutes of screentime.

Hmmmm... That's an interesting take on the movie. I personally do not think Tom Holland and Chris Pratt are annoying, whilst the acting, cinematography and plot is top notch. If I'm honest, you won't see a movie this monumental, emotional and hard-hitting again.
See, for me it wasn't emotional or hard-hitting, I've been seeing these movies since Hulk in 2008 or whatever and still didn't do much for me. Just a bunch of millionaires phoning it in in front of green screen, Downey has been getting the easiest paychecks of his life, since he literally doesn't have to do anything aside from playing himself, Iron Man is entirely CGI, as is pretty much everyone and everything else. Kinda hard to get invested once you know how the fish is cooked, you know.

Downey has been getting the easiest paychecks of his life, since he literally doesn't have to do anything aside from playing himself,
I laughed way too hard at this:lol: I'm pretty sure he makes an effort to portray his character as best he possibly can. I don't think it's his easiest paycheck mate.

I laughed way too hard at this:lol: I'm pretty sure he makes an effort to portray his character as best he possibly can. I don't think it's his easiest paycheck mate.
Well he got nice 10 million dollars for Spider Man Homecoming, and he was in it for 5 minutes or so. ;)

You know I rewatched the first Avengers not so long ago, and there's just a massive difference between how the Russos film and they way Joss Whedon films. You know despite the heavy usage of CGI in original Avengers as well, the sets and the places and the interactions between characters still feel fairly believable, you're in it and you root for heroes. In the recent films that not the case, they've just completely devolved into full on cartoons, set on generic planets with crazy **** flying around, not making any sense whatsoever.

It's a cultural event at this point, the hype swept up everyone who has even remotely heard of Iron Man or Captain America. It's fine, a movie making a ton of money doesn't mean it's good.
Nobody said it did, I'm just pointing out how trying to paint this as some kind of kids-only movie makes absolutely no sense. Those numbers can't be due to hype alone. People wanted to watch the movie.

Even if actors are not seen, they still have to show up for motion capture and voice recordings.
A movie could be CGI, like Avatar, doesn't mean the actors are any less acting. Besides, more can be done with CGI than in set. Trying to build a set to do the things that can be done in movies, I welcome it.

It's funny, I remember the hype about actors losing their jobs to CGI, when Final Fantasy The Spirits Within came out. No such thing has come of it.
The way Dusney are moving and the dragging we see in the Marvel movies, maybe the day will come when actors are resuscitated, due to so much data collected.

Meanwhile I'm trying to think of any major Hollywood stars who don't just "play themselves" in movies. Sounds like another absurd nitpick.

I'll just put it here:
1558017520947.png

Watched it a second time yesterday and found it even more satisfying. Some things I missed in all the excitement of the opening viewing helped the story feel more cohesive.

Plus, any little amount that helps it overtake Avatar on the all-time list is good in my books. :lol:

Back