Backward compatibility?

Now I know the PS3 will have backwards compatibility but I just realized that the PS3 will not be using memory cards, but memory sticks to save data. How will this work with older PS1 and PS2 games? Does this mean that we can't save while playing our older games? Or is anything known about the PS3 having a memory card slot in the back to support this backwards compatibility.

Well I think the PS2 controllers will need adapters so perhaps they will have a built in adapter for your memory cards.

I'm not positive but there is a flap on the front where all of the different types of memory cards, sticks, or whatever go into. I'm sure sony didn't over look this. but who knows.

The flap on the front oes not contain sockets for PS1 and 2 pads or memorycards ect, it's for other media like the memory sticks (not to be confused with memory cards as used on the PS1 and 2). Sony have said that the PS3 will be able to connect to PS2 multi taps and other controlers so I'd assume an adapter thats plugs into a USB will be available.

live4speed
The flap on the front oes not contain sockets for PS1 and 2 pads or memorycards ect, it's for other media like the memory sticks (not to be confused with memory cards as used on the PS1 and 2). Sony have said that the PS3 will be able to connect to PS2 multi taps and other controlers so I'd assume an adapter thats plugs into a USB will be available.

yep. That's most likely what will happen.

live4speed

Hiya! :D :embarrassed: :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

That sounds like a good idea! :embarrassed: For Sony that is.... :nervous: Sony will force every PS3 owner to buy that multitap, because they know most of us would still be playing some old game. :embarrassed: *cough* Final Fantasy VII *cough* :embarrassed:

^Exactley, it probably will cost around $10 or £7.50-£10 over here if that is the direction they take. It'd be nice to get at least one bundled with the console but thats no as profitable for Sony and wouldn't damage console sales.

Well atleast it isn't as over priced as the official vertial stand and official multi tap.

Official V-stand + Official Multitap = £30
Unoffical V-stand/multutap/game storage = £15

Note: All my mates have the second option, and not one has had a problem.

Yep, something can cost $10 over in the US and cost £10 over here, and £10 is about $14.

That's how games are priced over there, too, right? We can get 'em here in the States for $50US, but they're £50 over there, right? Which is considerably more expensive. Maybe they just hope people won't notice, that they'll see the "50" and assume it's the same price.

Not £50 anymore, they were a long time ago, they're £35-£40 for the latest games, some shops try £45 but thats too much. £35 is over $60.

If you buy a game for £35 you're being stupid. ASDA, TESCO and online business sell for £30 usually.

However, official perohperals are still quite expensive. It's amazing how the DS2 hasn't dropped in price after all these years.

I get mine for £30 online with delivery costs, I haven't bought one from a shop for ages but I've seen the sold for anything upto £45 still. £30 is still more than $50, around $55 I think.

Wow, that's expensive. Was it always like that?
A friend of mine used to live in England, and he said NES games only cost a few £. I belive him too, he has a metric assload of 'em.

Yeah, you can pick up games for older machines for pennies now, as little as £1 or £2 in some shops but current gen games are like everything else thats current in England. We pay a nice fat premium. One of the biggest examples is the Nissan Skyline, I can't remember the exact cost of the R34 GT-R in Yen but it was £55k over here which was nealry 11 million Yen, roughly TWICE as much as it cost in Japan.

Now I wish the entire world can fall under one kind of currencies so we all don't get confsued with converting (x) money with (y) money. :nervous: Why can't we all pay the same price!!! :crazy:

If Germany had won WWII perhaps we would have!

Seriously, I hope PS1 and PS2 games look and play fine on the PS3. I found that PS1 games looked grainy on the PS2.
Actually, it probably won't bother me too much as I'm unlikely to play PS1 games..except maybe Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy games....perhaps.

slackbladder
Seriously, I hope PS1 and PS2 games look and play fine on the PS3. I found that PS1 games looked grainy on the PS2.

I think that's more a matter of perception.. you often don't realize how used to high-res games we all are, until we see low-res games again. I was talking to a friend of mine the other day, and she was remeniscing about a game she remembered seeing years and years ago that she wanted to play. We eventually found out it was "NiGHTS" for Sega Saturn, and when we found some screenshots, she said "Wow.. I don't remember it being that ugly..." Even though it was very impressive at the time. Probably isn't going to stop her from getting it, though.. she can get the whole shebang (Saturn + Analog controller + game) for less than the cost of a new game today. :)

When we all get old, kids and teens would make fun of what we have to play back then! :lol:

"Yea, back then we were playing with PS3! It was so cool!"

kids/teens: "Aww thats what you played? those graphics look like ShXXXXXT compared to PS9"

:)

About 50 years.

Simply because they were so heavily produced they won't become rare for a long time.

Maybe even double that time.

McLaren'sAngel

When we all get old, kids and teens would make fun of what we have to play back then! :lol:

"Yea, back then we were playing with PS3! It was so cool!"

kids/teens: "Aww thats what you played? those graphics look like ShXXXXXT compared to PS9"

:)
^Right.When ps3 will come out and we'll all have played it for a while we'll play some ps2 games and find the graphics VERY bad :yuck: even if now they're really good.

Couldn't you just connect the USB out on your PS2 to your PS3, and save the data to a flash card or hard drive on your PS3?

Solid Lifters
Couldn't you just connect the USB out on your PS2 to your PS3, and save the data to a flash card or hard drive on your PS3?

Well do you think they would recognize teh devices? I thought it was only bluetooth on it that would recognize other devices....hey...couldnt this mean i can play gt5 with my cell phone?

It's not even 1000 posts old yet :lol:, try almost 10000, damn now I feel old.

Technically you could use you're cell phone or any other bluetooth devce to control the PS3, however it would need to have the right programming or software for it to recognise the inputs on the phone or PDA ect. It is possible but any software to allow you to use a phone as a PS3 controller of any sort will likely be freeware, some kid programming in his bedroom ect.

Latest Posts

Back