Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Full disclosure, this wasn't my idea. Credit to @Turismo.M.G! , who I think now goes by the name @Soyuz 77 , am I right?
No. :confused:

But I do have an idea of what we can do in the future that is quite similar to the derby: Knock-out racing.
Rules: Start the race normally, at the end of each lap, the last person across the finish line turns around, and tries to hit as many people as possible. It gets increasingly difficult as the race proceeds. Doing this on a track like GT arena would be awesome!

I don't know what you're talking about. I'm innocent.

You had it coming. That last pun was terrible. You also passed too many cars. Sadly, everyone failed to prevent you from winning. Don't think I've forgotten this.

You thought that pun was bad?

Well watch this. :sly:

Target Insight :D

This weeks victim of the COTW regulars was a hybrid, not just any hybrid, but the first mass produced hybrid to be sold with a manual transmission.

That by default is the 99' Honda Insight.

Powered by a 3 cylinder 1 litre engine running in conjunction with a 10Kw electric motor makes a total of around 80hp.

Of course it was designed to be a fuel sipper, but by the end of the night it was a full blown Petrolholic tripping out on leaking battery acid. :lol:

We did things with the Insight that it was never intended to do.

We drove it flat out on the Wangan line at 130mph, we rallied it up and down mountains and dirt roads and we put it through hell in a demo derby at the 'Thunder Dome'. :P

I suppose in this case we have to compare it to its main hybrid rival, the Toyota Prius in which case the Insight is a sleeper in comparison.

Only the ten years younger Prius G has a higher PP rating, but also costs more than the Insight, in fact all the road models are more expensive than the Insight and are heavier by 400Kgs minimum. :eek:

Like I said earlier, the Insight has a manual gearbox so you can actually tweak it when tuning it unlike the Toyota's CVT transmission which can't.

And here's a little fact I dug up whilst checking out the Insight.

A few years ago at a Formula 1000 Rally, a U.K. Prepped Insight was banned after 3 rallies for "Being too fast". :dunce:

That's another perk to the Insight, it's a very good base for a interesting project.

You could (hypothetically speaking) swap a modern Diesel engine in and you have a very good hyper miler or you swap a more powerful motor in ( The example @SuzukaStar brought up with the K20 motor is a great one.:drool:) and ditch the batteries and hey presto, you have a very potent rocket ship. :cool:

Of course if you do go down the power route, do remember this.

You CAN go too far and end up trashing it worse than we did. :D

(The guy walked away with minor scrapes and bruises thankfully.)

When all's said and done, it was a brilliant night of racing this little Eco-warrior flat out admist a full lobby.

Even hybrids can be fun if you put your mind to it. ;)

Verdict: Sleeper 👍

Tsukuba Circuit_4.jpg

It actually looks good, and sporty, it handles decently well, it has a 5-speed manual which is great for a hybrid like this, and at 170hp, it managed to lap Tsukuba in under a minute.

Needless to say, this is one of my favorite small cars, and most definitely my favorite hybrid. It's a sleeper car for sure.

Overall score: 8/10

^ I'll stick to my Lime Green Metallic Insight in GT6 for now :lol:

This is definitely another car that deserves the Premium treatment.

Well, it was worth the try, if anything. See? GT6 is better than Project CARS, I don't see PCARS giving people the desire to own an Insight. Boom! Controversial opinion. :lol:

Considering that the Prius has a Premium version (and a racing (!!!) version), and the fact that the newer Insight has a Premium version as well, I can't see why wouldn't this Insight have one as well. But then again, neither does the 1st-gen Prius...

Look at all those former COTWs, eh? I guess even 'Murica is paying (accidental) hommage to this wacky trip we call a thread. :lol:👍

What is this "Cars & Coffee" biz, if you don't me asking? Is it your classical American car show?

So, what's the next car to grace us with its beater-ness?

Oi, you don't yet if it's going to be a beater. It could a diamond in the rough, an amazing experience. Or it could be crappy, but I dunno. :lol:

Also, we have to wait for the orders from Mr. Brad "Ironic F1-related last name Mcclaren. He's the one who will announce to the world what next car awaits us... ;)

Oi, you don't yet if it's going to be a beater. It could a diamond in the rough, an amazing experience. Or it could be crappy, but I dunno. :lol:

Also, we have to wait for the orders from Mr. Brad "Ironic F1-related last name Mcclaren. He's the one who will announce to the world what next car awaits us... ;)

Yes, that is true. I ant wait to find out what it is.

Alright boys and girls... it's time to talk.

article-2142884-00A32E15000004B0-324_470x423_popup.jpg

This is planet Earth. Third rock from the sun. Although 70% water (maybe 68 now thanks to California), there are remarkable places all over this planet that are not Japan.

Look, I get it. You guys love your Pokemon, your Nintendos, Fast and the Furiouses, Initial D, samurai warriors and lotus blossoms. I get it, I really do. However...

For the past four weeks we've been stuck on Japanese cars, and I feel it's time that we had another intervention. Cars are made outside of Japan, you know? And they aren't bad, either. I think it's time that we spent a week examining somewhere other than Japan, and hopefully by the end of the week you'll have a better understanding of our beautiful planet and its diverse cultures.

Besides, there have been Godzilla sightings recently, and I don't want to have that blood on my hands.

For this week, it's...

Electrochicks-DJs_Ford-Focus2-630x377.jpg

...the 2013 Ford Focus ST!

It ticks all of the boxes you kids love. It's fun, more tossable than a dwarf, FWD, has a hatch and is supremely competent. It's cheap and cheerful! And it's American, which is not located in or around Japan, though I'm sure many components were designed and/or manufactured in Japan.

You guys seriously need to get out more.

Back