Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

That's Sir Lancerlot to you!

Well if you're on the search for the holy grail, keep looking cause this ain't it. Sure its got potential to be a Sleeper... you can't get any more of a box on wheels. Well maybe, but let's not push it, shall we? Lots of cars were boxes in the 80's, way too many to be honest.

30clHH1.jpg

If you read the ticker tape description under the car in the dealership, it says: "Nick-named the "Lan-Turbo", this 1983 Mitsubishi Lancer was an ultra-fast sedan that left sports cars in its dust." :crazy: Ummm, No. Just no. Unless they were parked with the engine off, then maybe, but that's about it.

With 157 hamsters on board pushing the 1,085 kg body around, sure the numbers are decent but its gearing kills it. Sure we've all been in cars racing around tracks, yelling "C'mon you piece of 🤬!!!"... but this was painfully slow in acceleration in my opinion. With 0-60 times long enough to take a nap, the "ultra-fast" sedan was a lunch bag letdown for me.

Hz91Bjk.jpg

I will give it some credit for its handling and its ability to carry speed in corners, but when I hopped in my 240Z, a naturally aspirated car that's 12 years older and was out accelerating a turbocharged car... things made me go hmmm. No it wasn't like it was boom and gone, but rather a slow but steady inching along that made the difference. And that's against one of the quickest manual transmission COTW regulars.

jVh6a7G.jpg

No, I didn't win in my Z, but it wasn't for the lack of trying. I just got out-driven by a certain "reigning" monarch of the Tuesday racing world. As for the Lancer, well it didn't live up to its hype in my head, but I can see the potential for it after slapping some upgrades into her. Like it's a box, who would expect anything from it?

Guess I'm going to be nice and give it a Neutral rating... for now.

Cheers

The way you all were passing me up had me thinking this thing has got to be one of the biggest piles ever, and that I am a really bad driver. I was losing 6 seconds a lap at Ascari when I discovered I had ASM turned on. It was a whole lot better after turning it off. So I took it to Ascari today and registered low 2:44's which would have made me mildly competitive. Then I got some easy 2:39's with that Z! My verdict: beater.

Beige Box/Boosted Brick :D

Another week, another Japanese, rear wheel drive, turbocharged contender.

This week was the Mitsubishi Lancer EX 1800GSR IC Turbo (Christ that was a mouthful :crazy:) taking on the COTW regulars.

Powered by a 1.8 turbo four, backed up to a 5 speed manual gearbox and weighing just under 1,100kgs, all wrapped up in a pure 80's 4 door boxy body. :D

That all sounds good, but like spinning plates on a stick, it's only good until you end up having to dig porcelain out of your face. :P:lol:

The Lancer has an open differential which means "one tyre fires" can be expected.

It may only weigh 1,085kgs, but it's weight balance is 60-40 which meant understeer was common sight. :yuck:

The car could rev to 7,000rpm, but power started dropping off after 6,000.

But I will say that for the most part, the Lancer did alright in handling despite the understeer, giving us some very good racing throughout the night ( Especially when the Devil Z and the @Baron Blitz Red Z came out to play. :sly:)

All things considered, it's not a Beater, but also not a Sleeper.

It does have sleeper potential however, with a few choice upgrades, ( a new limited slip differential for example :P) it can catch out unsuspecting drivers.

Verdict: Neutral :)

Can I suggest DIablo GT for next week?

This week's winner has already been contacted, but I guarantee that you will be chosen so long as you participate here. Winners are chosen based on posts, tunes, opinions, reviews, atomic mass, photos, races, astrological sign, narcotics preference, day of the week, solar position at midnight and choice of hairstyle. And then I just pick someone.

As long as you participate you will have your chance, worry not.

UPDATE: So, I was hoping to test our #GranTurismoTuesday races on Twitch in a few weeks time, but it looks like I'll need to build a new PC specifically to stream. But it's not a total loss, because I'd like everyone here to join me. Once everything is in place, I'll start broadcasting our races every week. We'll also have a chance to debate other topics in preparation for the races, like whether or not voice chat is a good idea while Ted Thomas is still around. If you're not on Google+, we can discuss it here or through private messages, it's whatever.

On a somewhat related note, this week's videos may be slightly delayed while I wrestle with the Windows 10 upgrade.

Said this in another thread, will say it again here:

"i'm sorry for my in-activity in this Thread but I was away from home with my family and some others.

I just came back last Wednesday."

Said this in another thread, will say it again here:

"i'm sorry for my in-activity in this Thread but I was away from home with my family and some others.

I just came back last Wednesday."

No pressure, @ToyGTone , I know what it's like. I had to take a week off to take care of family matters in CA, and I'm typically needed to post and update stuff. You take care of you, we'll still be here when you get back.

Do sub-atomic particles count? :lol:

Sometimes.

This week we take out the '83 Mitsubishi Lancer EX. The Lancer EX is very much a rhythm and momentum type of car and similar to the Toyota Vitz F. The Lancer EX performed well when you reached the 3rd gear in the slower corners if you went below 3rd gear you would lose your momentum and work hard to get it back up. You had to keep the speed up in order to stay with the pack but if you found yourself in the sand you would have to work hard to catch up to the pack or just recovery drive the car to the end of the race and try again in the next one. Similar to Toyota Vitz F you had to plan where you were going to overtake your opponents and get a good run out of the corner to pass them but this also lead to some great battles and race gaps that were between .010 of a second to 1 sec of a gap between cars. Overall a great night of races but the Lancer EX is neither sleeper or beater but neutral.

At first, I was confused by the fact that some of the color choices on this car included "Sarajevo White" and "Serbia Blue." Now I realize it; Mitsubishi was trying to make its own version of an Eastern Bloc car. Seriously, you could be shooting a Cold War film, have this car drive by the Kremlin, and everybody watching the movie would think for sure it was a Communist product.

So with styling only a Premier would love, the car really needs to be good underneath to redeem itself. In that respect, it's certainly more powerful than any Lada ever made and undoubtedly would be far more reliable as well. Unfortunately, despite having rear-drive, it's handling characteristics feel more like a front-driver. It will push and push, and only by going full lock on the steering wheel and mashing the gas will any over-steer be achieved. With all that going against the Lancer, it seemed the only thing left to do was make a mockery of the marketing malarkey that this car could possibly compete against a sports car.

But instead at Special Stage Route 5, we did find a grain of truth to the claim, with Monty finding a way to better my best effort in the 240Z. So then, I have to acknowledge that in the right hands, on the right track, the Mitsubishi can defeat a far superior car.

....but it's still a Beater.

After viewing my own replays and Mc's videos, I must add a postscript to my review, and it recalls yet another Marxist maxim: "All Standard Cars are created equal, but some Standards are more equal than others." While the Datsun 240Z may not have the full Premium treatment, it does honestly look good and detailed enough that only the most discerning eye could tell it's not a Premium at racing speed. The Lancer on the other hand, is an obvious "straight from GT4 port-over" that only compounds all the other woes the car is dealing with.

It had to happen, eventually. I'm actually surprised that it took over a year for it to happen...

Blah, blah, blah, blah... Overall a great night of races but the Lancer EX is neither sleeper or beater but neutral.

Congratulations Racer283! You've earned the privilege of selecting next week's car! Tell these nice people what they've won...

You're in luck that the car I'm choosing is not from Japan but still in the 80s era of cars.

It's a Christmas miracle!!!!

It has a fairly well known history in rally races in that time period and competed in the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. So, without further ado...

AudiMS0801_468x312.jpg

...it's the 1982 Audi Quattro!!!

Hmm... this sounds familiar... Where have I seen this before?

Nearly 3 full years later we return, like an estranged ex-husband with overwhelming regret.

And on that note... FIRE UP THE QUATTRO!

Ah the Quattro, the car that first brought 4WD cars to the ro..

(whispers in ear)

Wait, what do you mean that it's not the first road car with 4wd?

And what the hell are you doing in my room? :P

Yes, it wasn't the first 4wd road car as the Jensen FF was the first 4WD production road car to have it.

Ok, it's the first mass produced 4wd road ca..

(Whispers in ear)

Really? It's not the first mass produced 4wd road car?

Now seriously, what the hell are you doing in here? :crazy:

Shockingly, the AMC Eagle was the first passenger car to be mass produced with full time 4WD. ( even on the coupe, wagon and convertible models.)

Alright then, it was the first 4wd car in a Motorsports discipl...

(Whispers in ear)

(Glass smashes)

Sorry about that, he was being a Pane in the neck. :lol:

Apparently, the first 4wd racer which also happens to the first 4wd car with a combustion engine is the Spyker 60 H.P ( Yes that Spyker ;)).

Technicalities aside, it was the first rally car to use 4wd and set the example for others to follow, which led to some of the most iconic rally cars and Homologated road cars ever to be built.:drool:

It's definitely a legend in the motoring world, but how does it hold up today?

Only one way to find out. :P:tup:

Well, there's one thing that the Quattro does better than all those previously mentioned 4WD cars;

• The Jensen FF never really sold well, as Jensen made the car in a way that prevented it from entering the US car market. And wouldn't you know it, that caused it to fail in its bid to save Jensen from bankrupcy;
  • The AMC Eagle did have mass-produced 4WD, yes, but it wasn't really the most reliable car (or the prettiest for that matter). AMC was struggling as well, and technically, they were more Jeep cars than "normal" (you know, non-crossover/off-road jeeps and such) 4WD cars;
  • Well, does anyone really remember that Spyker? Last time I checked, they died from economical issues, but are now trying to come back... with another electric car. So yes, they didn't do all that well...
But regardless, all them have their deserved merits. It's just that the Quattro became the most mediatic of all early 4WD cars, both due to the technology used and the rally sucess.

In the meantime, have another video. Women can't drive? Some can't, but don't tell that to THIS woman;

Last edited:
Nearly 3 full years later we return​
Wow, it's been that long already??? Even longer when you consider that it was week 27 when this was first reviewed. I remember when even the idea of this was being proposed and I jumped in to say "YES do it!!!"

Loved the idea and still do, even though back then I wasn't as involved, and just shouted out little blurbs here and there. It gives anyone the chance to pick, as was done to me way back when in week 19 in the GT5 version. Just another added value to the idea of it.

Thanks @McClarenDesign for keeping it alive!

Cheers

Last edited:
Women can't drive? Some can't, but don't tell that to THIS woman

I never make the mistake of underestimating women drivers... Many moons ago (or so it seems like) there was one lass that was so confident about her skills in her 427 Vette she had a vanity plate cover stating:

"If you can beat me, you can Eat me!"

:lol: :bowdown:

She was a goddess with 4 wheels!

Cheers

There are seven production road cars in GT6 that feature the name "quattro" but only one can be the original. This car enjoyed a total production length of almost 11 years, going on sale in late 1980, with the final car rolling off the line in May 1991. The transmission was included within the central differential, which meant it did not allow management of torque distribution between the front and rear wheels. Interesting!

2.1L
199 hp / 6,000 rpm
213 ft-lb / 3,500 rpm
1,290 kg (2,844 lbs)
400 PP

^ Maximum speed achieved - 120 mph

Screwed up the corner near the end right before the tunnel, slowed down too much and tried to gas my way out but the understeer got me and I went "out of bounds" but did not get DQ'd. Still a 1:30 car.

Cars within +/- 0.500 seconds:

1:30.397 - 387 - Toyota Sprinter Trueno BZ-R '98
1:30.410 - 393 - Nissan Skyline HT 2000 Turbo RS (R30) '83
1:30.424 - 409 - Alfa Romeo Brera Sky Window 3.2 JTS Q4 '06
1:30.456 - 408 - Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 DOHC Turbo VR-4 '89
1:30.471 - 395 - Toyota Celica SS-II (ZZT231) '99
1:30.477 - 389 - Mini Cooper S '02
1:30.502 - 383 - Honda CR-X SiR '90
1:30.510 - 411 - Toyota Celica GT-Four RC (ST185) '91
1:30.565 - 389 - Nissan Primera 20V '01
1:30.574 - 371 - MG MGF '97
1:30.578 - 404 - Volkswagen New Beetle RSi '00
1:30.599 - 391 - Mini Cooper S '05
1:30.600 - 383 - Honda Civic SiR-II (EG) '95
1:30.622 - 392 - Nissan Silvia K's Dia Selection (S13) '90
1:30.703 - 391 - Mazda Roadster RS (NC) '07
1:30.706 - 382 - Mitsubishi FTO GR '94
1:30.726 - 408 - Mitsubishi Airtrek Turbo-R '02
1:30.728 - 401 - Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 V6 24V '01
1:30.805 - 400 - Audi Quattro '82
1:30.822 - 407 - Ford Taurus SHO '98
1:30.822 - 402 - Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Coupé '54
1:30.843 - 390 - Peugeot 207 GTi '07
1:30.887 - 376 - Toyota MR2 Spyder '99
1:30.908 - 398 - Toyota Celica SS-II (ST202) '97
1:30.911 - 386 - Ford Focus ST170 '03
1:30.913 - 383 - Mazda MX-5 1800 RS (NB, J) '00
1:30.960 - 383 - Hyundai Tiburon GT '01
1:31.108 - 398 - Mitsubishi GTO SR '95
1:31.112 - 387 - BMW 2002 Turbo '73
1:31.133 - 395 - Mini Cooper S '07
1:31.156 - 399 - Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GTS '03

Looking at other cars from the 1980-1991 period on this list, there's the Nissan R30 Skyline Turbo RS and S13 Silvia, Honda CRX, Toyota Celica ST185, and Mitsubishi Galant VR-4.

4WD cars on the list include the Alfa Brera, Mitsubishi Airtrek, Galant VR-4, GTO, and the Toyota Celica ST185.

I'd say the Audi does pretty well for itself and can keep up with modern cars like the Alfa Brera '06 and the Mazda Roadster, Peugeot 207 GTi, and Mini Cooper '07s. Audi's own TT 1.8T '00 is less than a second quicker. Definite sleeper.

Last edited:
Back