Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

Ah Vic, a Racing Lagoon reference? Knowledgeable as always, I see... Although it is fitting, given the Cizeta's character. ;)

Yep fast, but very temperamental although at least with the Cizeta you don't have to take a drug that can make you physically and mentally unstable just to try and control it. ;)

It is a shame that game never got released outside of japan or had a translated version as it could've been brilliant.

A "High Speed Driving RPG", made by the same who made Final Fantasy, it had Engine swaps, body swaps and drivetrain swaps and it was surprisingly well detailed for its time.

Heck, just watch this video on a few cars with different drivetrain layouts and body kits. ;)

According to the discription, the first version of each car show goes in this order FF, FR, MR, RR and 4WD.

You'll notice how the body changes to accommodate the layout and then we see the bodykits in the following order, Old, GT, Zokky( Bosozuko style), C( Closed cockpit prototypes) and Diablo (experimental).

As for the engine swaps the only limit is your imagination, V6 in a Kei car body? sure, Flat 12 in a Bus? go ahead, 7 litre Inline 6 Diesel in a AE86? Initial D..iesel anyone? :lol:

Yep fast, but very temperamental although at least with the Cizeta you don't have to take a drug that can make you physically and mentally unstable just to try and control it. ;)

Well I'd have to be stoned in order to make me drive the Cizeta, so you aren't far off my opinion of it. :sly::lol:

Although if we want to get specific, the DiabloZeta was more of a (Nissan) 300ZX than a Cizeta when it comes to looks... Either way, the shoe fits somewhat, I suppose.

It is a shame that game never got released outside of japan or had a translated version as it could've been brilliant.

A "High Speed Driving RPG", made by the same who made Final Fantasy, it had Engine swaps, body swaps and drivetrain swaps and it was surprisingly well detailed for its time.

So I've heard, at one point the game ranked highly in a "sequels you want to see made) list in its home country, meaning that plenty wouldn't mind seeing Square Enix out of its element once again... Sadly, one thing has to be said; while the customization is outstanding for a PS1 racing game made by a studio that made nothing but RPGs (bar the equally-great-if-not-better Einhander, of course), the handling model isn't up to par.

It was a RPG, since it had your classic millions of cutscenes, detailed story and leveling up systems, but the "Driving" part felt more like holding Cloud's sword with one weak hand... But such is the struggle no RPG-esque racing game has beaten so far, or so I think at least.

As for the engine swaps the only limit is your imagination, V6 in a Kei car body? sure, Flat 12 in a Bus? go ahead, 7 litre Inline 6 Diesel in a AE86? Initial D..iesel anyone? :lol:

And of course, it wasn't a realistic game given that amount of engine swapping choices... But then again, sometimes I can overlook that if it gives me a laugh. Japan! :lol:

I'd like to make a quick off topic plug for the Duel of the Week TT's. @MrWaflz55 has taken over the reigns for @Cowboy and has a Special 'Lympics set up this week for 5 world econoboxes a.k.a hot hatches at Nurburgring GP-D. Several of our COTW regulars have participated in the duels time to time, and cowboy comes to race with us here at COTW frequently, so don't be shy, come on over and give it a go!

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...obox-car-olympics.350509/page-3#post-11617061

See you all later tonight. 👍

Last edited:
I was tagged, this better be good.

I'd like to make a quick off topic plug for the Duel of the Week TT's. @MrWaflz55 has taken over the reigns for @Cowboy and has a Special 'Lympics set up this week for 5 world econoboxes a.k.a hot hatches at Nurburgring GP-D. Several of our COTW regulars have participated in the duels time to time, and cowboy comes to race with us here at COTW frequently, so don't be shy, come on over and give it a go!

I wouldn't necessarily say frequently, but more of a come and go and zero notice kind of thing. ;)

Oh boy, the good ol' '69 Z28.

I've had a good history with this car. For me it's that one muscle car that goes exactly where you want it to go. Stock or with a tune, it's a car that I'd recommend to really anyone looking for a nice cruiser or racer. The race modified version is even better, having a more late '60s race car vibe to it. The main drawback I can think of, and that we all could probably relate to, would be the top speed. It's late '60/early '70, where American cars could accelerate spedy quik, but didn't get that far until you hit the redline.

It's a sleeper for me.

You know, considering some of the internet issues we've had recently, we got off pretty damn light tonight! Are things starting to look up for GT6 online? :)

The road going Camaro displayed all the problems I mentioned earlier, particularly the part about really wallowy handling. It was hard to wrestle around tight turns without slowing right down. :mad: But on faster, more open circuits it was alright. I was actually quite keen to see what it was like on dirt, but oh well. Maybe Saturday...
I also found it really hard to distinguish the sound of my car among the others, meaning I was continually missing shifts or shifting unneccesarily. This could be remedied by using the bumper cam, but then when I was in a close battle pack I'd need the chase cam for the view of the other racers....

The race car irons out some of the aforementioned issues, but not all. It's got better handling, an extra gear, sounds a lot better, and is more at home on a track, but still retains some of that wallowy handling. That'll just be cos it's a muscle car, if you don't like it, don't drive muscles! :sly: Other than that, it looks grouce, sounds better and is pretty cheap for a racecar!

Also, I'm gonna change my racecar's colour. Everyone was blue, so I'm gonna try stand out! :D

I really don't think it's a good idea to make it more obvious that he's gay. :lol:
Damn, another gay line used on me? I've already used my "pole your mum dances on" line, so I don't have a comeback as such...

But usually when someone accuses another of being gay, it's to cover their own fears, thoughts and insecurities of being gay themselves.

It's okay Obelisk, we won't think any different of you :lol:

(For the record I have a girlfriend, we been together over a year now)

Damn, another gay line used on me? I've already used my "pole your mum dances on" line, so I don't have a comeback as such...

But usually when someone accuses another of being gay, it's to cover their own fears, thoughts and insecurities of being gay themselves.

It's okay Obelisk, we won't think any different of you :lol:

(For the record I have a girlfriend, we been together over a year now)
I am not your "Usually" example. I'm straight as an arrow (or whatever arrow-shaped car applies). :lol:

^Straight as an obelisk?

Well, onto the Cizeta. I love the Cizeta myself (color me aroused when I found out it became premium in GT6) but fanboyism aside (hmmmmm quadruple pop-up headlights), I can't give it a sleeper status at all, so I'll go with "eh". I don't have much to say that others haven't already. It drives like crap, it has no grip, it has no brakes, it is fatter than your mom, etc.
But I personally enjoy driving it regardless, although I have yet to tune one up to see how good or bad it can get after I decide which one of the 3 I have I will tune up. The Anniversary One? The one I bought for the weekend (which I didn't attend to) just because I wanted to have the exact same vehicle? Or the one I got a week later from the Goodwood events I had not yet completed?

No pics this time (maybe in a few days if I feel like wasting my gaming time for that day just taking pics for fake internet points) because I'm lazy and slightly busy with tests, so here's an old one from GT5 instead.
RLOqquS.jpg

So it's time to review the '69(stop laughing:sly:) Chevy Camaro Z/28, But because we yet again have another model of the same car so close in PP, I'm also including the SS Camaro of the same year.

Key things to note, the SS is cheaper by 5 grand, is slightly lighter at 1401kg to the Z's 1415kg, has a bigger engine at 5.7 litres to the Z's 4.9 litres and in turn, more power and torque.

The Z/28 makes 303hp after an oil change and the SS makes 10 more at 313hp so you're probably thinking the SS will walk this match up easily, but things aren't always so simple. :P

Now I actually went and got an close to spec 1/4mile dragstrip to test these two cars at and to remove as many variables as possible, I switched to Automatic and revved to max at the start.

The Z/28 with its longer first gear and less power and torque didn't spin the tyres and went 14.785 down the quarter mile. By contrast the SS with more power and torque, plus its shorter gearing meant it could smoke the tyres at the start and went 14.289 and then 14.060 with TC set to 1.

That explains the quick starts I got with the SS on Tuesday night. ;)

But to say it was faster on a track wasn't a foregone conclusion either.

To make it as close as possible without the Z/28's higher top speed being the main factor, I took them both around Eiger Nordwand Short to test them primarily on handling.

Best time for the SS? 1:15.122
And the Z/28? 1:14.027 :eek:

So the SS wins at the drag strip and the Z/28 wins on the twisty mountains, but what wins overall?

That answer is simple, it's the Z/28.

The Z/28 in a way was like a homologation model, it was built around the Over 2 Litre Class in the Trans-Am Series which capped engine displacement to 5 litres max hence the Z/28's 4.9 litre engine.

The SS was built more for the public and the Stoplight sprints so whilst it was more powerful, it had to compromise its handling to be more user friendly on a day to day basis.

So even though statistically the Z/28 is outdone by the SS, it's not outgunned in its capabilitys.

Verdicts: SS(Neutral) Z/28(Sleeper) 👍

As for the Z/28 Race Car i'll do a quick summary.

- Sounds great
- Let down by default gearing on the race transmission.
- Handles good, but doesn't have a differential so one tyre fires are possible on corner exits.
- Nearly everyone had some version of the Lightweight Camaro made famous by Mark Donohue. :D

Verdict: Neutral :)

Oh, the sound of a muscle car...
City of Arts and Sciences - Night.jpg

The Camaro is probably the most iconic muscle car of them all. Not sure if that's the case everywhere, but it sure is in New Zealand! Any poster, video or event involving muscle cars are guaranteed to feature at least one Camaro, in any of its forms. It's not hard to see why. It looks absolutely amazing. It has that beautiful V8 growl (Which in GT6 you need a gamer headset to fully appreciate), and it is pretty damn good in a straight line.

The '69 Z/28 has a few ups and downs. Firstly, it's relatively cheap, at a mere $65,000. It comes in a good variety of colours, and as mentioned before, sounds grouce. It has a 4 speed transmission, which is quite short in comparison to a normal modern car, propelling it along to a top speed of 207km/h. Which isn't much, but back in the day it was enough to get you down the 1/4 mile! :sly:
It also comes with sport hard tyres, but despite this it does well not to smoke the tyres off the line or around corners. (Although as Vic mentioned, it will light up the one wheel if turning aggressively)

Indianapolis Road Course.jpg

Light up the bags at Indianapolis!

Indianapolis Road Course_1.jpg

POWEEEERRRRRRRR!!!!! -Jeremy Clarkson

It suffers in the handling department though, primarily due to it's weight and soft springs. This isn't a bad thing for me personally, I consider it a personality trait. We all know the whole stereotype of American cars being unable to turn corners, and the Z/28 is a personification of that. It just means you have to drive it a bit differently than you would a touring car or a sports car. And really, we don't buy muscle cars expecting them to handle like a GT-R, right? :lol:

It feels really good off the line, 1st gear is a bit long, but once the revs get up there it's swiftly into 2nd, then 3rd, and finally 4th. Before you know it, you're on the limiter and wishing you'd picked something better to drive around High Speed Ring! :banghead:

Now onto the racecar..
City of Arts and Sciences - Night_1.jpg

Old but gold!

Being the racing version, you'd expect it to be better in all departments than the road going equivalent. This is technically true, but some of the improvements aren't nearly as significant as you may think.

For starters, the power is boosted to over 400bhp, and the weight brought down to around 1100kgs. This means it's acceleration and off-the-line performance is a whole world better. It packs in an extra gear, now a 5 speed. And with all these enhancements, it will soar up to a blitsering top speed of 210km/h.... *vinyl scratch sound effect*

:boggled:

...wait, what...

All that extra power, all that lost weight, all those modifications and it's a mere 3km/h faster than the standard old road car. :confused:

Granted, it gets to that top speed a lot quicker, but still, you'd be expecting a bit more speed, no? Speed aside, it does handle way better thanks to a new customisable suspension package. It also has racing tyres, meaning it has the grip to attack corners without a fear of oversteering or going up in smoke. It also has a rougher, more raspy V8 sound to it, which sounds like a choir of angels. A choir of redneck, buck toothed, moonshine-chugging angels.

At over double the price, is it still worth buying over the regular Camaro?
Yes. :cool:
It'll simply need some fine tuning by you before it really snaps any underwear elastic.

Grand Valley East_2.jpg
Grand Valley East_1.jpg
Grand Valley East.jpg

Not much faster, but still better!

So then, verdicts on the two?
They're both sleepers. 👍👍

Because muscle car. :sly:

History to present day...

Being a tad bit behind, I'm giving myself some time for catchup, just without any tomatoes... ;)

HltCunr.jpg

First, we go to my favourite weapon in the GT300 class of cars, the 2008 Autobacs Garaiya GT300 Base Model. Now I remember reading that some people have a hard time with the pronunciation of the model name. Well if you know how to say the name of this sexy music goddess,
48RhALZ.jpg
then you know how to say Garaiya :lol:. The 2008 model is version 2.0, and even though it's an MR model, I find it the most stable of all the GT300 class, especially when tuned. She punches well above the stats given as a stock car... fully tuned it's a 615pp, 696 hp monster that carves up any corner it sees. It's also the one car that has given me the most victories in its class... in my mind, it's a Sleeper and a keeper just because it's the most ignored model of the GT300 series.

NjXgoGT.jpg

The GTi, my pick for the original "Hot Hatch", even though that is debatable. I missed the opportunity to race this with the COTW crew, but I've put her through the paces elsewhere. Now my hatred for FF cars is infamous and knows no bounds, but I'll admit this version of the GTi series is in my top 5 FF cars of all time. It just handles very well, way better than an inexpensive box on wheels should. 'Nuff said, this German econobox will always be a Sleeper and a keeper, and one that should be in anybody's virtual garage.

More to follow...

Cheers

Last edited:
I had a few laps of free run at the North Loop with the V16T. Put comfort mediums, as usual on there. It wasn't long before I crashed nose on into the barrier at Karussell. This is uncommon, I mean apart from the Auto Union V16 I can't think of a car that would make me (half)expect a problem, there.

My lap time was some 8:19 or twenty, including the barrier incident. I typically go clearly faster with stock setup road cars under 500PP, so either this is a different experience or: beater! I don't dislike the experience, it's just that there's alternatives that are a bit better.

Congratulations Thematic
... sort of...

You were selected as this week's winner, however I wasn't able to PM you directly to find out what car you'd like, so I took the liberty of ordering one of Japan's finest on your behalf...

cfa21151d165a336ba02a036dba968a7.jpg

It's the 1970 Honda Z Act!!!!

Not since George Clinton has there been this much funk. The "Playing With TTs!" Time Trial is also currently available, at Special Stage Route 5 (Clubman Circuit). Good luck!

Well whatever comes after this will have one tough Act to follow. :sly::lol:

It'll also be interesting to see if the servers like last week don't Act up on race night. ;)

Of course if that goes south then I'll Act like nothing was said that ended up jinxing it.

Ok i'll stop with the puns before MC Acts on those "Justifiable Homicide" impulses. :P

I like the Camaro a lot, loads of fun to drive. I was expecting it to be a crazy ride but it was surprisingly tame. No wheelspin at all. It looks and sounds great though, that's for sure, specially when watching a replay with the cinematic camera. I just have nothing to complain about this car, it's great. Yes it has an awful top speed but it's a classic muscle car so what do you expect?
Sleeper no doubt.
I didn't try the RC version but if it's anything like the one on GT5 it's superb.

caPCUjM.png

IME7d6u.png

5FuqWAW.png

EUkPjRS.png

Also I tuned up the Cizeta and it didn't get much better. Maybe because I put too much power on it, but that weight distribution sucks either way. I tried putting some ballast on it but it just ends up losing a lot of PP because the difference is just too big. Some Cizeta pics too as I promised.
3COueXH.png

WaMkS4s.png

q0tI4HS.png

9rWwJOW.jpg

l4nuQn2.jpg

cAgsmN2.jpg

Z8t8kp5.jpg

Getting there... Caught up that is!

Even though it's taken me about a month to get even with the review counts, I'm still WAY faster than the Z Act!!! :lol:

We'll start off part 2 with the "Nothing fits my Size Etta"...

J2AJY3a.jpg

Some ideas should stay locked up in people's heads, and this car just proves it. "Build it and they will come" was a good line in a movie, but it certainly wasn't the company motto... well hopefully not anyways. Moroder had a string of hits in his music career, but this ain't one of them. Yada yada yada.

I could go on, but we all know this was a terrible car. Even tuned, it was a lunchbag let down. Sure, on paper it was a novel idea, but in reality it remains an oddity that should be forgotten about. If there is a car that I would vote to be downgraded from a premium to standard, this would be it. Beater and forget 'er!!!

Now to the quicker Z's...

DlwBgDG.jpg

I've never really been a big fan of the Camaro to be honest. There were always better muscle cars to look at, but I must admit, the 69's are my fave of the entire lineup. 1969 was a great year for a slew of cars, but as the number is famous for a reason, the 69's HAD to be sexy.

In all fairness, these Camaro's drove pretty well. Yes, the race car version handled much better... which was nice considering the '63 Poorvette twins race car version which just tried to kill you. Thankfully the Camaro was nicer to you. Not enough to beat the Nova's handling though... in GT6, the Nova is the muscle car benchmark. The Camaro isn't bad, but not Sleeper material. Both get a neutral status from me.

Cheers

Last edited:

Obligatory "Par for the Course" joke. The 1st Generation Golf GTi isn't spectacular, but it doesn't need to be. It's practical, has enough power for its light weight, and handles well for a 40 year old front drive car. Sleeper.

Why do I have a Countach in this picture? It's not just the similar styling cues, it's how the Cizeta handles the way I expected the Countach to handle: like a Suicide Machine. Even cranking the Cizeta's TCS up to 4 only meant I could actually keep the car pointed in the right direction once in a while. Combine this with a huge price tag and the Cizeta is not only "Beater of the Year" contender, but "Worst Beater Ever" contender as well. Enzo Ferrari complained about Hollywood stars buying his machines and just having them sit in their garages and look pretty; in the V16T's case, it's the only thing it does well.

Hey, Baron...You're behind me on this time trial now.

1:29.716 for me in the Z.

To quote one of my favourite songs from Foreigner...

That was yesterday
But today life goes on
You won't find me in yesterday's world
Now yesterday's gone
Goodbye yesterday
Now it's over and done
Still I hope somewhere deep in your heart
Yesterday will live on!

;)

It's nice to see that you've improved @Obelisk !!!

Cheers

Last edited:
Back