Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

This thing was a piece of garbage. Beat 'er until it stops running!

Highlight: Four way finish with me sniping the win from 3rd place.

Edit on 11/30, 14:56 EST: All that said, I'd totally rock one of these as a little get-around if I could swap the transmission and modify the engine.

Last edited:
The Z stands for ZZZzzzzzZZZZzzzz.....
The Honda Z Act is a sleeper, but not in the good way...

Matterhorn Short Track.jpg

And they're off!!!! ...we think... ...are they? It's hard to tell...

Matterhorn Short Track_1.jpg

Trying to slipstream Obelisk, at just over 20km/h (12mph)... :boggled:

Kei cars were designed to be small and affordable, making car ownership a reality for many, mostly in Japan. The most of them are gutless city runabouts, but there were some pretty cool ones, like the Suzuki Cappuchino, Mazda Autozam and, more recently, the Honda S660. The Honda Z is a Kei car, but sporty it is not. Featuring an air cooled SOHC 350cc 2 cylinder engine producing a heart thumping- Wait for it- 37bhp, it was obviously never designed for racing.

Or climbing hills for that matter! :lol:
We took the Z to Matterhorn short, where the extent of it's gutless-ness became quite clear... We couldn't even get out of the pit lane for the practise! And when the race started, everyone got stuck on the main straight's incline, leading everyone to slowly and agonisingly grind to a halt and start rolling back, very slowly.... But Vic had the right idea. By swinging from side to side, he could gain momentum then use it to propel himself, bit by bit up the hill, until he reached the other side!

I eventually caught on, and did a similar thing, although instead of swerving, I'd do a complete circle then launch myself upward, then do another circle, and so on and so forth.

Matterhorn Short Track_2.jpg

*All cars in this shot have ground to a complete halt, except Vic who's beginning his momentum-swinging thing.*

Matterhorn Short Track_3.jpg

Vic whizzes past Ash, who's still struggling up the hill...

Matterhorn Short Track_5.jpg

...so I give him a speed-providing shunt!

The race at High Speed Ring was quite fun! :D

Stop laughing!
In truth, it was actually a pretty good track for the Z. Long, wide and flowing, there was nearly no need for braking, and the race was actually super close. Positions would be gained through holding the perfect racing line, and some ballsy dives. On the S bend section, I pulled an almost-kamikaze manouvere, not braking at all and overtaking everyone around the outside. As mentioned by Obelisk earlier, it came down to a four wide finish..

High Speed Ring.jpg

High Speed Ring_1.jpg
High Speed Ring_2.jpg

Obelisk snatches it by a car length!

The last thing I tried was using the VW Sambabus against the field of Z's. It was seriously down on pp, but it was the only other hunk of junk that was eligible, given the entry requirements, so I thought "What the heck"! It turned out to be way better than the Z's off the line, and for the first lap I thought I was going to absolutely destroy everyone. But once they got their revs up, they pulled me in and I sunk into the middle of the field.

Autumn Ring - Mini.jpg

Autumn Ring - Mini_1.jpg
Autumn Ring - Mini_2.jpg
Autumn Ring - Mini_3.jpg

Small vs Large

Now then, my thoughts about the Z...

Any advantages it may have are instantly outweighed by the fact that it takes half a lifetime to get up to speed, and even then, that speed is still tremendously slow. It has no power and no torque, and will lose pace on even the slightest of inclines. It took me a solid minute to get to the start line in the TT, and is really only suited to flat or near flat tracks.

I will admit, it was kinda fun to throw around, once it was up to speed, but would I ever drive it outside of COTW? Uhhrr, well realistically, no... I did try to tune it to 350pp and enter it in the 350pp quich match event, but there are many way more competitive options at that level, (Lotus Elise 111R, Mini Cooper S, etc) so it was serioulsy out-matched. I'll most likely never drive this car again.
I rate the Z a sleeper. :eek: But not the sleeper we're used to. I'm calling it a sleeper because you will literally fall asleep while driving it! :lol:

Ok let's not mince our words here, the transmission is 🤬 overkill for this car.

Woops, just gave away my verdict in the first paragraph so let's rewind.

*5mins earlier.*

The Honda Act Z is a Kei car, but it's performance is regulated by the Kei Car regulations that were made in 1955 which capped engine size to 360cc's, unlike the revised regulations in 1990 which caps engine size to the 660cc and the max power of 63hp that we all know and love.

Interestingly, there was in fact a mini horsepower war in the 360cc class which peaked at 39hp from a 356cc engine powering the 1970 Daihatsu Fellow Max SS which gave a rather remarkable 110hp per litre.

For context, that's only 3hp per litre less than what the 430hp 3.8 Flat Six in the 911 GTS makes. :drool:

With 37hp on tap after an oil change, speed wasn't gonna be on the cards, expect we didn't know how MUCH speed we would have in our hands.

Let's be completely frank, there was a point where getting out of the car and jogging up the slight inclines would've been quicker than driving up them.

Was it heavy? not even close, weighing in at just over 500kgs it wasn't dragging any excessive bulk around.

The problem then you'd assume would be the transmission and you'd be right. :P

Ok let's not mince our words here, the transmission is 🤬 overkill for this car.

(Hears someone saying something about giving away a verdict and saying let's rewind in a familiar voice.)

Huh, odd, could've swore I just heard myself speaking. :D

Anyways where was I? Oh yes the Transmission.

It's a 4 speed manual gearbox with the longest ratios for such little power, Forget marriages, this gearbox is longer than most human life spans. :lol:

1st goes to just over 50mph, 2nd to around 85mph, 3rd goes to around 135mph and 4th goes way past 170mph. :eek:

As already mentioned, climbing hills that wouldn't be noticed in other cars suddenly became mountains for the ACT Z.

@Nismonath5 brought out the VW Bus which weighed more than double than the ACT and had less power IIRC, but because he had much shorter stock gearing he blew by us all at the start of one race. :crazy:

The remedy? fitting a sports gearbox.

Much shorter gearing and an extra gear to boot made the car much more bearable.

In stock form, Its a fully rigged, Class A, road going, Beater. 👎👎

So much so that both Jack and Baron wanted to apologise to 2 former COTW picks, the Cizeta V16 for Baron and the VW Karmann Ghia for Jack. :)

Verdict: Beater

Yes, I felt guilty for beating up the Cizeta in my review of it after trying out the Z Act on that up hill section at Eiger. That was just embarrassing to be honest. But it was to be expected in hindsight. As you mentioned, the stock tranny with the restricted power/engine size was the culprit for sure.

The Honda is a Beater and Forget 'er car especially when driven stock... it took nearly a minute to get to the Start line of the SSR5 Clubman TT!!! It's ugly. It has suspension parts clearly showing outside the body. That rear window looks like it was a taken from a late 19th century diving bell helmet. The list goes on... but that's just it, as I always read the stats on the car before taking her out. I should have known it was going to be painful.

But that "hill climb"... :banghead: Holy 🤬!!!

Both cars are award contending Beaters... but at least the Cizeta could get you up a hill, unless you ran out of gas!

Cheers

No surprise, I absolutely adore the '69 Camaro Z/28. Fantastic styling, plenty of power, and it handles well for a muscle car. As someone mentioned before, its Nova SS stablemate that we tested last year may fill the same niche a little better, yet I find myself still opting for the Camaro when I want to drive a muscle car. If I could have any classic car in my real life garage, I'd be very tempted to select this car even if the Ferrari Daytona or Lamborghini Countach were options. Not Beater. Not Sleeper. Icon.

And then we get to the racing version in all of its Trans-Am Series glory. Same great styling with huge and grippy rear tires. Then there's the engine noise, the street version was decent, but the racing version cranks the V-8 roar up to 11. I think this car is the best sounding one in the game. While there's little in the way of aerodynamic downforce, you do get tons of mechanical grip. In fact, I find this car easier to drive than most race cars in the game, as the grip levels feel very consistent regardless of the speed I'm taking the corners. The only obvious downside is the extremely short top speed of the transmission in stock form. However, once I adjusted that, I was able to very easily win the GT300 series in the career mode of the game with it. Absolute Sleeper.

In fact, standing there admiring it, I began to think absolutely nothing could ruin my good mood.

Then This Thing Showed Up.
Hard to believe, but at the same time the Camaro was being made, so was the Honda Z Act. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I'm honestly flabbergasted that anyone could buy a car with just 30 HP and say, "Yep, this is all the power I'll ever need." And yes, I'm fully aware that it was cars like the Act that helped Japan topple the American giants during the next decade after these cars debuted, but it doesn't mean they're completely brilliant. The styling of this car, woeful. The transmission, lethargic. The engine, hopeless. The handling, well you can't go fast enough to have any fun with this car. I take back everything I said about the Volkswagen Karmann Ghia. It may have only 15 more horses, but driving it against the Act, the VW felt like a muscle car, taking me to an easy victory.

Add to it that even fully modded it can be outrun by a stock late model hatchback, and the Act is not only a Beater, it makes me wish the oil crises never happened.

Well, I know I wasn't there when the Z was raced, but I seriously doubt anything better would've happened even if you did get a custom transmission. At its worst, the Z is like the 2CV or the Sambabus, or any of the slow 300PP cars which I don't drive all that often in Gran Turismo. At best, it's marginally more driveable, but not that much better.

There's a reason why the Z was so gutless; it's a Kei car. But I know some will shout from afar "but not all Keis are THAT gutless, Niku!", and you're right, they're not. Why? Progress, plain and simple. Back in the 1970's, the biggest engine you could put in your Kei was a 360cc engine. The 550cc-and-bigger engines would only come in 1976, two years after the Z's passing. The car was never going to get there either way, so why bother waiting for a regulation change when you can develop bigger cars? In 1974 there was this thing, you may have heard of it, called a Civic. The oil crisis happened, yes, but the Z wasn't Japan's saver in the USA car wars. That "gallant knight" role went to the Civic, which is why Honda is one of the biggest names in the American car market...

Oh, and and if you think the JDM and USDM Zs were bad, then don't look into the car's European side; engines were downsized to 250cc AND a whopping top speed of 85.

MPH? No, KPH....

The most surprising thing about the Z, no not the Nissan, is that I got it up to 83 mph on the downhill section of Mid-Field. That's impressive considering the specs:

0.4L
29 hp / 8,500 rpm
22 ft-lb / 5,500 rpm
510 kg (1,124 lbs)
275 pp

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

2:04.406 - 248 - Volkswagen 1200 '66
2:04.644 - 275 - Honda Z ACT '70
2:04.751 - 280 - Honda N360 '67

The N360 weighs 35 kg less than the Z ACT yet is no faster on the track. Both are beaters.

If there was a car I wish didn't make it into GT Sport, it would be this Z Act thing.
If I said I this thing only moves thanks to gravity, I wouldn't be overreACTing.
I stepped the gas down and it felt like it didn't even reACT.
If you drove this thing around town, the only thing you would attrACT is hate from all the people suffering behind you.
Just look at it, it has no charACTer.
If I owned this irl and someone tried to steal it from me, I wouldn't even counterACT.
Those were really bad weren't they?

Awful, just awful. I never sell any cars in GT games, I think this might just be the only exception. Nope, I haven't even sold the weird old Audi which I bought regardless of what I had heard about it. That weird VW hitler-mobile has more potential than this too. It's too expensive even for its price. If this thing was a rollercoaster, it wouldn't even be able to get past the beginning. That's how fun it is.
And if you somehow manage to get some speed, be aware of kerbs.

cFiEcRp.jpg

xXB36mW.jpg

bpZCkcJ.jpg

On the bright side, that was the most fun I had in that car.
Beat'er until you forget'er (wasn't it?). At least the Cizeta is fun and looks good, right?

Right?

Oh, @McClarenDesign, aren't you late this week?

Assuming I don't lose electricity this time, yes I am! I was getting this ready when I lost power all day. Avoid OKC at all costs.

Congratulations Obelisk! N stuff. Disappoint the people, already...

I say you owe me three chicken dinners now.

When did... who taught you how to count? Somebody's gonna pay for this!

I've sent that bill to your mailbox. Expect it in a few days.

refined-mazda-axela-goes-on-sale-in-japan-special_5.jpg

It's the Mazda Axela 23s!!!

Might as well celebrate my real-steel Mazda 3 with a week dedicated to the line.

Nope... leaving that one alone.

Time Trials are also up, this week in Tokyo. Get it before Trump does.

Also start thinking about Car of the Year nominations. If there are categories you'd like to see added, send me a PM with the name and requirements of it. The list of nominations will be released in 1-2 weeks.

There were indeed three times I was chosen as the snark target, with a total of four cars in action.

1st win: Prius G '09/Prius TC
2nd win: Chaparral 2J '70
3rd: This week. Mazda Axela.

So yes, I can count quite well. I can count to infinite potato.

There were indeed three times I was chosen as the snark target, with a total of four cars in action.

1st win: Prius G '09/Prius TC
2nd win: Chaparral 2J '70
3rd: This week. Mazda Axela.

So yes, I can count quite well. I can count to infinite potato.
I'm actually looking forward to this week's car! Zoom Zoom, and whatnot.

Storytime!!

The used car dealer simply refused to buy my Z off me. Maybe it was because it was such an oddball car. Maybe it was because there simply wasn't anyone in NZ who'd buy it. Or maybe it was because I'd scratched "V-tec kicked in, yo!" on the dashboard. Whatever the reason, I was stuck with it.

...or was I?

I ended up taking it to the scrap metal dealer. He looked a bit surprised when I pulled up and told him I was giving him my car. "You're not just throwing away a perfectly good car, are you?" he asked, giving me a funny look.
"No." I replied. And I wasn't lying, either. The Z was definately not a perfectly good car.
"The best I can give you is $300, mate." He muttered while puffing on his cigar. Usually, this would be a real rip off, but for the first time ever, I agreed with him. The Z probably wasn't even worth half that.

Three days later, I was rebuilding the SR18 in my Lucino race car when a Mazda Axela pulled up. I turned around, and there was Baron. "Heya Nismo," he gestured towards the car in a ta-dahhh kind of way. "Here's the new car!" I walked around it, taking in it's horribly rendered PS2 graphics. "It's not a bad old car, the ol' Axela." I mused. I noticed there was something in the back. "You got kids in the back?"
Baron looked at me. "Kids? Nah mate, you got it all wrong!" He declared, opening the hatch and rear doors. Inside was boxes and boxes and boxes of beer. There were boxes in the footwells. There were boxes in the spare wheel compartment. Hell, some boxes had the seatbelts pulled across them!

Grinning, he took a bottle and cracked it open. as he quenched his thirst, I walked around the Axela, thankful that this week's car could actually climb hills. The Axela is quite an attractive car. (If you ignore GT6's terrible rendition of it!) Smooth curves, a sporty, sleeper-y look, and enough punch to be fun. I then looked back over at Baron, who had finished his first drink and was promptly ripping open another bottle. "Hey Baron, how are you getting back?" He stopped, mid-swig. He obviously hadn't thought that bit through. He looked at the bottle he was drinking from, then at the car, then at me. Finally, he gave a sly, sheepish grin. I knew he was suggesting I drive him back. "Can I pay you in drink, ol' buddy, ol' pal..?"

Sooo, the Axela!
(Known as the Mazda3 over here)
A mate of mine used one in the New Zealand Production Car Championship, and it rivalled the likes of the Suzuki Swift Sport, Mitsubishi Lancer GSR (Evo 10 shape) and Subaru Impreza, so I know it packs a solid punch. The question will be, how bad will the understeer be? That will be the car's downfall if it proves too persistent. See y'all tomorrow!

If I remember correctly, this car also has a 4 speed gearbox stock, and it's from japan and also front wheel drive.

Difference being that this 4 speed is an Automatic( Not that you'll notice as only a few cars get the genuine Autobox feel to them, amirite PD? :rolleyes:) and the engine is much more powerful.

It's also the basis for the slightly nutty
Mazda 3 MPS which made near 260hp from a turbo'd 2.3 litre engine and many cases of torque steer to boot. :P

It may not be brilliance on first appearance, but it'll definitely climb some hills this week. :D

I have to say, the Axela is quite a peppy little hatchback. I have to give it a Sleeper rating because no one expects a family hatch to have such good cornering response. Acceleration? About on par for an ecobox.

Bonus: The reason why I picked it this week:
IMG_20160719_094535.jpg

My special 3.

I then looked back over at Baron, who had finished his first drink and was promptly ripping open another bottle. "Hey Baron, how are you getting back?" He stopped, mid-swig. He obviously hadn't thought that bit through. He looked at the bottle he was drinking from, then at the car, then at me. Finally, he gave a sly, sheepish grin. I knew he was suggesting I drive him back. "Can I pay you in drink, ol' buddy, ol' pal..?"

Ahhh, the good ol' days of "Start drinking, stop thinking"! That led to many adventures, most of which I can't remember for some reason!!! ;) :lol:

Cheers

Quick heads up, i'll be hosting tonight's racing, that said let's get started. :P

So another week down and another Japanese hatchback, but this ones from Mazda and it's already got a few fans here. :)

MC is the resident Mazda fanboy, Jack has had some good success when he brings out a comparable model including one of his older picks, the Altenza Sport 25Z.

I picked the Mazda 323F/Lantis Coupe 2000 Type-R and Nismo has had some good races when he breaks out the RX-7 TC.

This weeks pick, the Axela 23S(Also known as the Mazda 3.) starts off well despite following the layout of last weeks slowcoach, as in Front wheel drive with a 4 speed gearbox.

Packing a Non turbo 2.3 4 Cylinder engine
making a little over 170hp after an oil change and weighing in at 1260kgs, the car wasn't glacier slow, but not exceptional either.

Even though the gearbox plays into that issue, what makes the Axela shine is its handling, despite a 59-41 weight distribution and relatively soft suspension it handles remarkablely well for an econobox.

Racing was great as well with multiple battles at Silverstone and a good scrap at Chamonix.

And it's only a transmission swap,turbo and few other parts from an MPS version if your so inclined. ;)

Verdict: Sleeper. 👍

Well here's the officially unofficial results for the "Be careful with that Axe-la Eugene, while" Playing with TT's event...

BaronBlitzRed: 2:12.965
G_ASHER: 2:13.310
Rob_on_Drums: 2:16.092

and the "Not an ExZACT science when" Playing with TT's event...

Monty_YNOS-j: 1:27.295
BaronBlitzRed: 1:28.410
G_ASHER: 1:28.505
Nismonath5: 1:28.751
Rob_on_Drums: 1:29.351
RMedia_Obelisk: 1:29.716

and the "Happiness is being with the 69 twins when" Playing with TT's event...

BaronBlitzRed: 1:40.334 (road car)
Rob_on_Drums: 1:40.817
G_ASHER: 1:41.248
thematic604: 1:43.183

Rob_on_Drums: 1:28.359 (race car)
BaronBlitzRed: 1:28.369

Cheers

Well here's the officially unofficial results for the "Be careful with that Axe-la Eugene, while" Playing with TT's event...

BaronBlitzRed: 2:12.965
G_ASHER: 2:13.310
Rob_on_Drums: 2:16.092

Congratulations Baron Blitz Red! I tried to join in this week's TT, but I wasn't aware that when I setup an event to close at midnight, it actually means 11p.

Before you pick this week's car, are we going to have another one of "Those" talks yet again?

Thanks Brad!!! Well it's not JDM... not even close. And it will be relatively cheap compared to some of my past picks! Wait for it...

TransCammer12-12034Medium.jpg

It's the Gran Touring Garage 1970 Ford Mustang "Trans-Cammer"!

The next person to mention Mad Max is getting locked in the Thunderdome. We don't need another hero. Two men enter, one man leaves.

I really hate to say this, but I think it's time we all discuss the elephant in the room. Who's bright idea was it to make a Mustang look like a Nova?!

Baron's punishment will be posted on the community after the Forza championship is over. This done for two reasons: 1. Fanboy butt hurt, and 2. GT Sport was delayed until maybe next year... or the year after.

Last edited:
Nismo has had some good races when he breaks out the RX-7 TC.
Actually Viccy boy, that was a mere roadworthy FC. But still, never let the truth get in the way of a good story, amiright?
Anyhoo...

DIS CALLS FOR A MUZZ-da!!!

The super cheap, super practical supermini that packs a super punch!
Chamonix - Main_3.jpg

Let me at 'em!!! Overly keen Axela is overly keen.

The Mazda Axela (Or Mazda3 depending on where you are in the world) is Mazda's flagship family car. It's small on the outside, bigger on the inside, economical to run and in all ways a "city runabout" car. It's the sort of car you expect to find in a grocery store carpark, and the last thing you expect to see on a racetrack. That being said, it's not too bad!

It boasts a 2.1 4 cylinder. (No dum dum, it's a 2.3) Now, I get that 2.1 (2.3) is bigger than 2.0, and therefore that's an exploitable selling point, but really, the 100cc (300cc) difference is hardly felt. It's still tipping on the gutless side of the spectrum, although nowhere NEAR as gutless as.... well, you people know what I'm talking about. ;)

Autumn Ring.jpg
Autumn Ring_1.jpg
Autumn Ring_3.jpg
Autumn Ring_4.jpg

Autumn Ring_2.jpg
Autumn Ring action!

It actually has quite a good feel to it, once you've turned a couple of warm up laps and know what it can and can't do. In fact, I'd go with Vic's reccomendation of strapping a turbo on and making it an MPS. THAT's a car I wish was on here, it would certainly make for some white-knuckle action on a shoestring budget! Now granted, being a front wheel drive means it will understeer horribly if you try to push it way too hard, but it's not too bad. It's manageable, and we had some awesome races in it! Matterhorn was the worst for me though, as the darkenss and rain meant I was caught after a while, and slowly but surely dropped towards the rear of the field.

Matterhorn Rotenboden.jpg
Matterhorn Rotenboden_3.jpg
Matterhorn Rotenboden_4.jpg

Matterhorn Rotenboden_5.jpg
Rain. Pavement and concrete become black terror. Also, Obelisk living that slammed life!

The one thing that really stood out for me though was it's performance on snow. I don't know why, but I seem to perform better on snow than I do dirt.. Just something I've noticed throughout my GT life. And the Axela thrived there. I could launch into corners without braking, and the speed would scrub off effectively, with no consequences. I could point it where I wanted to go and it would go. In fact, it's off road ability caught me off guard, and now I have no choice but to call it a sleeper for it's sheer rally ability!

Chamonix - Main.jpg
Chamonix - Main_1.jpg
Chamonix - Main_2.jpg

Basically, buy the Axela if you...
-Need to pick up the kids at 3
-Are planning on racing offroad
-Need a total sleeper
-Like admiring PS2 graphics but can't be arsed booting up Gran Turismo 4
-Want to make your own hot hatch

Last edited:
It boasts a 2.1 4 cylinder. Now, I get that 2.1 is bigger than 2.0, and therefore that's an exploitable selling point, but really, the 100cc difference is hardly felt.

I believe you'll find Mr Nismo that the actual displacement is 2.3, a mere 200cc's more than 2.1, but hey, don't let that small detail get in the way of a good review on the Axela. :sly::lol:

As for the Trans Cammer Mustang, given that we're on a track and nowhere near a Cars & Coffee meet, we should be ok racing these on race night. :D

I'm getting in on the customizing game, too! ;)

I realized it's been a while since I've done a tribute car, and I found inspiration in the 427 cubic inch engine that Ford used in NASCAR at the time. I made my car a tribute to the Holman & Moody Ford that the "Silver Fox" David Pearson piloted to the 1968 Championship.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/for-sale-a-championship-winning-piece-of-nascar-history/

See you on the High Banks!

Back