Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

I hope you guys have a great new year's! I stayed up till midnight to see in 2018, then promptly went to bed because I had work today. So pretty uneventful for me. But whatever, it's still a new year!

Anyways, by now it's common knowledge that Gran Turismo 6's death now has a date. 28th March to be precise. That means these last few months worth of meetups have to be memorable! We gotta make sure we cover all the cars that deserve it! And I'm starting 2018 off right!

maxresdefault.jpg

Introducing the Suzuki Concept S-2!!!!

We're welcoming in the new year with the little concept car that is severely overlooked. Precursor to the fun, zippy and adorable Swift Sport, the Concept S2 has more power than the production-ready model, and less weight too. Does this mean that it's better, though? Let's find out!!!

This week's Playing With TT's will be at the Tsukuba circuit, the perfect proving ground for a concept hot hatch! I'll set it up hopefully tomorrow after work, but I'll set it up for 7 days either way. See y'all Tuesday!

Edit: event live now!

Last edited:
Suzuki Concept-S2 '03
1.6L
176 hp / 6,500 rpm
145 ft-lb / 5,500 rpm
1,000 kg (2,205 lbs)
407 pp

Cars within 0.500 seconds:

1:26.994 - 414 - Honda Civic Type R (EP) '04
1:26.997 - 434 - Toyota Supra 2.5GT Twin Turbo R '90
1:27.122 - 407 - Honda Integra Type R (DC2) '95
1:27.147 - 435 - Subaru Legacy Touring Wagon GT-B '96
1:27.215 - 451 - Chevrolet Camaro SS '69
1:27.309 - 395 - Hommell Berlinette R/S Coupe '99
1:27.328 - 409 - Lotus Elise Type 72 '01
1:27.342 - 423 - Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6 24V '04
1:27.354 - 417 - Mitsubishi Pajero Rally Raid Car '85
1:27.363 - 410 - Mercedes Benz 190 E 2.5 - 16 Evolution II '91
1:27.368 - 431 - Mitsubishi Eclipse GT '06
1:27.406 - 408 - Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 '85
1:27.418 - 425 - BMW 330i '05
1:27.422 - 409 - TRD Celica TRD Sports M (ZZT231) '00
1:27.427 - 410 - Honda Integra Type R (DC2) '99
1:27.428 - 439 - Jaguar E-Type Coupe '61
1:27.444 - 428 - Audi S4 '98
1:27.446 - 479 - Plymouth Cuda 440 Six Pack '71
1:27.460 - 417 - Chrysler Crossfire '04
1:27.485 - 435 - Plymouth AAR Cuda 340 Six Barrel '70
1:27.489 - 407 - Suzuki Concept-S2 '03
1:27.548 - 422 - Nissan Skyline Sedan 300GT '01
1:27.574 - 423 - Volkswagen Golf IV R32 '03
1:27.593 - 428 - Volkswagen Golf VI R '10
1:27.603 - 434 - Toyota Aristo 3.0V '91
1:27.613 - 439 - Mazda Mazdaspeed Atenza '05
1:27.620 - 427 - Alfa Romeo 147 GTA '02
1:27.636 - 408 - Honda Integra Type R (DC2) '98
1:27.673 - 411 - Mazda Savanna RX-7 Infini III (FC) '90
1:27.684 - 407 - Subaru BRZ S '12
1:27.762 - 433 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution III GSR '95
1:27.802 - 429 - Toyota Supra 3.0GT Turbo A '88
1:27.811 - 411 - Nissan Sileighty '98
1:27.817 - 433 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution II GSR '94
1:27.818 - 428 - Toyota Soarer 430SCV '01
1:27.820 - 405 - DMC Delorean S2 '04
1:27.835 - 461 - Pontiac Tempest Le Mans GTO '64
1:27.842 - 420 - BMW Z4 '03
1:27.847 - 421 - Honda Accord Coupe EX '03
1:27.861 - 435 - Subaru Legacy B4 RSK '98
1:27.892 - 424 - Audi A3 3.2 Quattro '03
1:27.892 - 426 - Mazda MX-Crossport '05
1:27.899 - 422 - Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z Concept '88
1:27.913 - 456 - Mercedes-Benz CL 600 '00
1:27.914 - 406 - Mazda RX-8 '03
1:27.985 - 407 - Scion FR-S '12

It's on par ẃith VW's hottest Golfs and Alfa 147 GTA. Faster even than the Toyota 86's. Sleeper!

Suzuki Concept S-2

hREn5V0BxnTM9r75_0.jpg

Opening Thoughts:

Now that we only have 3 months before GT6 gets the axe we must make the most of what time we have left. Tuesday night's racing along with this week's COTW turned out to be one hell of a time and did not disappoint. There were close battles going on all night long in every position and I'm talking about Bumper to Bumper racing the entire race.
I was able to get another 2nd place finish on the snow and I got my First Win at Cape Ring. Sorry you missed that one @Nismonath5 it happened the very next race after you left.
To be fair @Vic Reign93 could have won all the race's if he had wanted to but choose to run CH tires most of the night.

To be honest I don't know if it was the car or because GT6 is coming to an end or because I've had to change the way I drive now flipping back and forth between GTS & GT6 but something really changed this week. I guess I will find out if that continues next week.

This week we got a new member @Infineon. He has been a long time friend of mine in real life since 1993. I happy he decided to join us for the rest of our time.
He also proved to be a fast racer as he got a Podium finish and stayed in the mix all night long.

I'm not leaving anyone out as @Draggon , @Racer283 , @todally_lit , inverted and others all had a great night too with some of them getting Podium finishes themselves.

Now for our COTW the Suzuki Concept S-2.
What a surprise on this standard non premium half ass ugly GT6 car. Yeah that's right most people would never even click on this car much less buy one of them but if are like us and just happen to get one you will find there sits a real gem of a ride.

Suspension and Handling:

This thing can handle some aggressive driving. Sure it has some body roll and the Comfort Soft Tires are screaming being pushed to their limit but yet it never becomes upset or feels out of control. The cars handling allowed for some very close tight racing without bumping into each other most of the night.

Power:

At first the power seems to be bland coming in under 200hp but with it's weight at 1000kg it will surprise you once you get to race it. Through out the night various people brought out different cars in the same PP range to challenge the Suzuki. Two were past COTW winners the Nissan Primera 20V and the Beetle Cup Car the other one was a 97 Toyota Supra. The Beetle Cup Car held its own against the Suzuki but just didn't have enough to dominate. The other two were no match at all and quickly dropped to the rear of the field.

Automatic Transmission:

Absolutely no issues using an auto trans and didn't see any clear advantage from auto to manual.

Brakes:

The brakes are outstanding on the Suzuki almost as if it was running race Brakes instead of stock but they are 100% factory stock and a real surprise. You can get away with some very late late braking and it sticks but not without some dancing around but it always seems to recover nicely.

Snow & Ice and Dirt

Again no complaints here as it really takes to off road conditions and handles really good.

Verdict:
There is not to much more I can say about the Suzuki Concept S-2.
It's overlooked by many because it hides it's true character very well and nobody you come up against will even take this car seriously. That is until they get tired of seeing its tail lights.

This machine is absolutely a Sleeper and can offer some great racing with some level-headed people behind the wheel.

For those of you not in our group please go pick one up and test it out.. better yet get your group to do a one make race like we did.. You won't be disappointed.

The videos posted above should give everyone a good idea.

Also props to @Draggon for that epic race at Trial Mountain! Still buzzing over that one! (And the miracle move I managed to just get away with at the start..)

Thanks for posting that Nate, man, it was as much fun watching it as it was doing it! 👍 That was one great race, but boy do we take different lines. I'm going to have to look at that. Like you say, epic! It's why I love COTW and the friends I've met and raced with here.

Now to this weeks sacrificial cow. It has two glaring problems: first, the muffler sounds more like a Kirby than my Kirby does, and second, it comes with CS tires. Other than that, what a lovely little car. Brakes, handling, power, all great although it does top out at "only" 127 mph or something close. It's not so pretty, like the Mazda concept thingy we tested awhile back, but it handles so well I can overlook that. Tuned up it's quite the surprise, and certainly punches above its weight.

Resounding verdict: Sleeper!

Nice to have @Infineon join us! And a great start to the new year with this little Suzuki.

Well guys, we appear to have started 2018 off on the right foot! Question is... does our luck run out in only the second week?

The lucky man who's about to decide that is none other than our very own Dragon!

Congratulations @Draggon!!!

images (2).jpeg

It's the 1963 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale!!!

I'll drive this sometime today and report back. It is really a nice car, but it's only got 338pp and without a fullycustomizable trans I have no idea how it performs. I'd hate to choose it and find out Tuesday it tops out at 80 kmh.

Don't you know that's why we do this?? Half the fun of COTW is trying to go fast in gutless POS's that have no place on the racetrack! (Or at least 100 miles near one under Californian law)

Besides, it could never be as slow as...
images (3).jpeg

*shudders*

This week's Playing With TT's will be at the Monza 80's layout and will be set up within a few hours. I wont be attending the racing because Im going away on a camp for a few days. In the meantime I guess @Vic Reign93 will host the rooms. I should be back for the next week, so see you then!

Well guys, we appear to have started 2018 off on the right foot! Question is... does our luck run out in only the second week?

The lucky man who's about to decide that is none other than our very own Dragon!

Congratulations @Draggon!!!

View attachment 704702
It's the 1963 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale!!!

Don't you know that's why we do this?? Half the fun of COTW is trying to go fast in gutless POS's that have no place on the racetrack! (Or at least 100 miles near one under Californian law)

Besides, it could never be as slow as...
View attachment 704711
*shudders*

This week's Playing With TT's will be at the Monza 80's layout and will be set up within a few hours. I wont be attending the racing because Im going away on a camp for a few days. In the meantime I guess @Vic Reign93 will host the rooms. I should be back for the next week, so see you then!

Well I remember a certain COTW member using this car repeatedly... I'm pretty sure @JackRyanWMU would be calling it a Sleeper and a Keeper!!!

Cheers

Yea, that California effect. I'd say I'm ashamed to be from California except I was born in Illinois, so I can blame on all the good folks from the golden state.

I did test this one at SSRX and am pleased to let you know it never hit the rev limiter. Sorry @Nismonath5 , I forgot to get back to you on that.

My cat goes into the vet Tuesday, so unless she dies, or has a problem, or is being mean and pouting, I should see you folks Tuesday. Too bad you're going to miss it Nate.

I feel sorry for you..lol
CAL is another world compared to the rest of the US especially Illinois. I live in Louisville Kentucky so not to far from your home state.
And then the USA in its entirety is another world compared to NZ.

Oh yes, I forgot to include Ash's other memorable line from explaining his choice..
I'd hate to choose it and find out Tuesday it tops out at 80 kmh.

See what I did there, converting mph to kmh? Y'all have got enough of a handicap with your steering wheel being on the wrong side and all, I thought I should help out. LOL. :lol:

I'm just gonna leave this here... :lol:
l_5261_f7c5398f20d86fd0ccf06bc70ef88c55.png

Ah, this thing. Only time I ever got a COTW win, and it was one hell of a finish.
I knew you'd pipe up about that :sly: Proof that you don't need a fast car to have a close race!

Do you guys ever read through the numerous pages of this here forum and remember the cars and banter from years gone by? I was just flipping through the weeks and thought this particular exchange was a laugh...

I wonder if there's a price limit that COTW cars cannot exceed?

Well, if I recall correctly, I might have the record setting COTW pick price wise... 4,500,000 cr. for the Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe since GT6 has started. I picked that one during the last week of 2014.

There will be a day where someone gets evil and picks one of the 20 mill cars. That COTW might take a few weeks.

And then, roughly 30 weeks later, what did @Baron Blitz Red do?!

It's the 1961 Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta passo corto AND the 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO!!!

250+ferraris+on+grid+max+fu.jpg

There are also two tracks to play with each in the Community, Monza and Monaco! Because if you can afford the pair of these ladies, money is clearly of no concern.

I still remember the days I spent grinding the seasonal events so I could buy both cars on time for Tuesday.. :rolleyes:

And then, roughly 30 weeks later, what did @Baron Blitz Red do?!

Well in my defense, even though I've been around for a few days, I seem to have one of the lower pick counts amongst the regular COTW members. So when I do get a chance to pick, I make it memorable. :lol: And besides... the week before you basically DARED me to. Remember this???

Besides, even with the problems of non-changeable setups... FERRARI. To say "must have" is an understatement. In real life, these cars are to kill for. That's how expensively rare they are. And of course, to send the message across with my final point... FERRARI. Like c'mon!!! ;)

Just some stats for COTW picks...

Dimontez... first GT6 pick!!!

@McClarenDesign Week 13+17+ 26+ 28+ 37+ 76+ 84+ 92+ 111+ 115+ 137+ 148+ 156+ 168+ 186 = 15 picks

@Vic Reign93 Week 7+ 15+ 46+ 72+ 89+ 114+ 155+ 159+ 164+ 184+ 195 = 11 picks

@JackRyanWMU Week 3+ 21+ 32+ 48+ 58+ 70+ 103+ 129+ 150+ 179 = 10 picks

@Lewis_Hamilton_ Week 5+ 22+ 36+ 57+ 78+ 91+ 127 = 7 picks

@Nismonath5 Week 122+ 140+ 161+ 165+ 182+ 197 = 6 picks

@Baron Blitz Red Week 24+ 51+ 101+ 117+ 132+ 153 = 6 picks

@Niku Driver HC Week 6+ 44+ 53+ 102+ 105 = 5 picks

@MidFieldMaven aka SuzukaStar Week 9+ 31+ 42+ 131+ 192 = 5 picks

@RobboGTAddict Week 55+ 109+ 142+ 167+ 181 = 5 picks

@Draggon Week 68+ 110+ 119+ 169+ 196 = 5 picks

That's up to week #200... these were just a sampling of names, please don't be offended if I missed your name. :bowdown:

Cheers

Last edited:
Hello everyone. New guy here giving his review of Alfa Romeo Giulia '63 after Tuesday's night race. Im not really experienced as you guys in terms of technical details of a car. But here it goes: the car is slow LoL. Serously tho, all jokes aside, if I made a mistake, there was no catching up to you guys. Manual transmisions (I need to learn) a must to take full advantage of the 118hp. Climbing those hills at Sierra proved that. Car handled ok if I breaked early and avoided hitting pit walls. Car was also fun to pimp out LoL. I rate this car as a Beater.
20180109_223111.jpg

It would appear that PD has already shutdown the quick matches in GT6 as 4 of the 5 have been taken off offline now. Not a good sign and it could possibly lead to all online race's being shut off before March 28th.

Alfa Giulia Sprint Speciale '63

Aw8TCjAbuRW41Lmp4e_0.jpg

Well there is not alot to say about this ride

It's definitely a stylish looking little Italian car but that's about the only thing it has going for it.

It's Slow Slow Slow and driving it in an automatic transmission makes things even worse because at times you could get out and run faster than it would go especially on big uphill inclines. I wanted to cut out the floor so I could start driving like Fred Flintstone with it.

Make one tiny little mistake and you'll never catch back up with the pack again.
Even at it's slow speeds it handles very poorly will huge amounts of body roll making it very unstable in the corners.

Our Tuesday night racing is always fun no matter what we are driving and racing on the High Banks of Daytona International Speedway turned out to be the most fun for me plus a healthy dose of some bump drafting is good for the sole.

It's small and light weight but still requires early braking, most likely because it only has 2 drum brakes.

This decision was very easy for me and the Alfa Giulia Sprint Speciale '63 is 100% BEATER.

I'm still wondering what happened to the person who picked this ride as they didn't show up for our COTW race.

This decision was very easy for me and the Alfa Giulia Sprint Speciale '63 is 100% BEATER.

I'm still wondering what happened to the person who picked this ride as they didn't show up for our COTW race.

I think my name must be mud around these parts.

I didn't think it was that bad, but I just drove it around in free run, not against any competition. I didn't run and hide in shame Tuesday. As mentioned above, I took my cat to the vet and it didn't go exactly great. I was exhausted by the time we got home and then she needed my care throughout the evening. So sorry guys, for missing Tuesday night and for having you suffer through an evening with this thing.

Maybe I'll just run with my alternate account next week and hope the two of you that know it won't tell anyone :indiff:

I think my name must be mud around these parts.

I didn't think it was that bad, but I just drove it around in free run, not against any competition. I didn't run and hide in shame Tuesday. As mentioned above, I took my cat to the vet and it didn't go exactly great. I was exhausted by the time we got home and then she needed my care throughout the evening. So sorry guys, for missing Tuesday night and for having you suffer through an evening with this thing.

Maybe I'll just run with my alternate account next week and hope the two of you that know it won't tell anyone :indiff:

I was just messing with you. I didn't know you weren't going to race with us this Tuesday

Latest Posts

Back