Beater or Sleeper? GT6 Car of the Week Thread

After spending 45 minutes with the Audi A3 3.2 Quattro '03 at Mid-Field, I discovered that it's just under 4 seconds quicker than the Vectra. Granted, the Audi is more expensive, by about 6,000 but that's not much.

With a minimal amount of tuning (car had around 230 horsepower) I actually got my Vectra go 202 mph (transmission left stock) at SSIX. No nos was used, but the car was drafting. Did not expect this out of a Vectra.

I agree the Vectra's not a particularly good car, and that does deserve a beater status. But I greatly disagree on it being Beater of the Year, the Celica is easily, easily my front-runner for that dishonor, and I'll explain why.

The Vectra is like one of those old documentaries they used to show on the History Channel before it became the "Endless Repeats of Pawn Stars Network." Sure, the special effects will be minimal, live-action reenactments will be small and low-budget, it won't provide thrills and excitement, but if you want to watch it, you don't care about all that, you just want to learn about what the program is presenting.

The Celica on the other hand, is like the movie Pearl Harbor. You get suckered in from how it looks in the trailers, high-budget action scenes and gee-whiz CGI and you think, "Yeah, this is going to be a proper war movie," only to find out you have to sit through a sappy Titanic knockoff romance story for hours in order to get to the good parts.

And that's why the Celica is worse, the Vectra may not have excited me at all, but at least it didn't make me want to walk out in the middle of the show and demand my money back.

@McClarenDesign What's your Capture Device? do you recommend to get?
I forgot to say that it was my birthday yesterday so happy birthday to me YAY.

and to finish this, i just became a View whore by posting this everywhere:

See what i mean?:P

I use a Hauppauge PVR 2 HD Gaming Edition, but I'm looking at my options to upgrade. Looking around, there's pros and cons for all of the competitors, and I haven't found one that doesn't have potential issues. I'm considering a Black Magic Intensity Pro or an Elgato unit, but I'm not sure I have room for the BM pro in my PC and the HD60 won't work without a HDMI work-around, something I need to get anyway. What I have works, but the connectors supplied are poorly made, and I'd like to record at the native 60fps. In the end, I can only offer an engineer's answer: it depends. I've already got the PC for it, but I haven't found anything with all the options that I want. Avoid the PVR Rocket! That thing works 30% of the time, if that.

Happy birthday, as well!

If anyone else has tips on equipment, I'd love to hear them!

Last edited:
Tuning is prohibited in our meets, but there are no car restrictions, so we're allowed to use anything that fits within the same PP range as the Vectra after an oil change, which is 401PP.
:drool: and that Eagle Talon??? I know its with 351PP at the Dealer, so maybe about 360-365 after oil change, but that thing went at almost same pace! Sleeper?

:drool: and that Eagle Talon??? I know its with 351PP at the Dealer, so maybe about 360-365 after oil change, but that thing went at almost same pace! Sleeper?

I'd almost rather have the Eagle, but that's a Chrysler product. It's like trading one STD for another. Were I forced to choose between the two, I'd take the Eagle and sell it, then use the money to buy a gun and kill myself.

Unless I were a real estate agent, or owned a auto rental service. Then I'd take the Vectra.

Anyone for some retro Vectra, circa GT4? (Is it retro or vintage?)

Last edited:

I was driving that and it was in actuality the Talon's relative, the Mitsubishi Eclipse. It was detuned from about 418 PP for that race, and I thought it actually handled somewhat better with less horsepower being tasked to its front wheels. Though for 2014's "Beater of the Year" it pretty much means, "The car gets better when you make it go slower."

I was driving that and it was in actuality the Talon's relative, the Mitsubishi Eclipse. It was detuned from about 418 PP for that race, and I thought it actually handled somewhat better with less horsepower being tasked to its front wheels. Though for 2014's "Beater of the Year" it pretty much means, "The car gets better when you make it go slower."

Funny you should say that, because the running gag with DSM cars is that the faster they go, the more they break. You cannot make a DSM car fast and reliable. That's like cold fusion, only cold fusion might actually be possible.

I actually enjoyed driving the R31 Skyline GTS-R during that RBR race. It was really fun to throw around corners and it was easy to bring the back of the car to slide. Sure, I was slow but I was having fun! :D

I bought this Opel in GT5 and i liked it and its looks.

Therefore i say sleeper...

Wasn't it Meatloaf that said "one outta three ain't bad"? Congratulations CTznOfTime! You're this week's winner! Tell us what will get the taste of that Vectra out of our mouths...

Actually i have taking breaks during my sleep to go through this selection process and out of all the cars in the game (excluding VGT) i have narrow it down to 56 cars...

As i just saw the list of cars on the first page, my list of candidates can be shorten a bit more...

I know have about 10 finalists in mind with a 2-or 3 currently going through the interview...

I'd hate to see the application process. Any way we can wrap this up? The announcement is already late...

Ok I got it.... but before I tell you which one, here are those that didn't get selected because:

(...many, many, many hours later...)

Having just read the thread on the part with the only other Isuzu (PIZZA body roll) being selected, i must admit the ambiance is really fun ! So fun to read each of you guy's different perspectives on the Piazza...

1989_Izuzu_4200R_08.jpg

It's the 1989 Isuzu 4200R!

Being a 80's baby, i had to pick something from that area, yet which would NOT look too oldies, and so this Isuzu was the great choice, looks cool enough. It also came with enough oddities for people to make fun of it.

Reminds me of a few people here, but we won't list names because that would be cruel. Personally, I love this choice, as it was a favorite from the spec races I used to run in GT5. Fantastic choice, but I worry about the races on Tuesday. I wouldn't put it past these guys to send out faxes just before the races start, or to hire Lotus to sabotage me.

Tuesdays can get a little competitive, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Well, CTzn sure took his sweet time revealing his choice, eh? :lol:

I still have an interesting Vaxuhall saloon for when you choose me next Brad, please don't forget that. ;) As for Isuzu, I need some quality time with it, because the last time I drove it I was appaled by horrible wheelspin under acceleration. Mind you, I was driving in a rainy Le Mans track, so that may have had a hand in things...

Also, it's 4200R, not 400R. A 400R is a Nismo Skyline, IIRC...

Well, CTzn sure took his sweet time revealing his choice, eh? :lol:

I still have an interesting Vaxuhall saloon for when you choose me next Brad, please don't forget that. ;) As for Isuzu, I need some quality time with it, because the last time I drove it I was appaled by horrible wheelspin under acceleration. Mind you, I was driving in a rainy Le Mans track, so that may have had a hand in things...

Also, it's 4200R, not 400R. A 400R is a Nismo Skyline, IIRC...

It was my fault that it's late... but I like passing the buck. I didn't notice any unusual wheelspin in GT5...

It was my fault that it's late... but I like passing the buck. I didn't notice any unusual wheelspin in GT5...

Well, just pointing that one out for mistake-checking. And again, I really need to have more quality time with the 4200R for me to be sure about its handling. I never really gave it much of my time, you know...

"Fantastic choice, but I worry about the races on Tuesday. I wouldn't put it past these guys to send out faxes just before the races start, or to hire Lotus to sabotage me.

Tuesdays can get a little competitive, if you know what I mean."

That's actually pretty funny you say that @McClarenDesign , Lotus FanClub just recently added me to their G+ circles... MUAHAHAHAHA!!! :mischievous: :lol: ;)

EDIT: In the picture above me of the 4200R, how did you get a pic of it with 2 wheels NOT touching the ground??? Kinda curious...

Cheers

Last edited:
@McClarenDesign has the 400R, which has the levitation low drag, faster fax version.

We all are stuck with the 4200R...

I was supposed to post a picture of mine first but MCD beat me to it... will have to wait until tonight at least...

Back