Best female artist is ?????Music 

• Thread starter Nicksfix
  • 197 comments
Not one vote for Whitney Houston? Shirley Bassey? Carol King? What the heck sort of list is this anyway? ;)

Of this current era, I'd have to put Rihanna as one of the top. Seriously, the girl puts out a hit nearly every time. Plus, she ain't bad to look at.

Of the previous decades, too many women have made some fabulous tracks.

When it comes to amazing voice I think I'll go for Mariah Carey, but It's not the kind of music I'm into.

Sahara Hotnights is a pretty good female rock band, and some of Björk's songs are good I think. I'm not really listening to female artists very much, for no particular reason.

Sahara Hotnights - Cheek To Cheek

Reventón;3223380
Of this current era, I'd have to put Rihanna as one of the top. Seriously, the girl puts out a hit nearly every time. Plus, she ain't bad to look at.
It happens she has a decent voice, someone write songs and lyrics which she then sings, the songs become "hits" and she gets all the cred for it. It's sad... 👎

I agree that she looks good though.

Last edited:
It happens she has a decent voice, someone write songs and lyrics which she then sings, the songs become "hits" and she gets all the cred for it. It's sad... 👎

I agree that she looks good though.
How is it sad when the artists have purposely written those songs for her? Ne-Yo was asked about "Take A Bow", and he said he wrote it for her, as did T.I. when he decided to include her in his "Live Your Life".

Despite that, what difference does that make? Pat Benatar didn't write all her hits (Heartbreaker was written by 2 other guys). Belinda Carlisle's hit "Heaven Is A Place on Earth" was written by someone else. Even Tina Turner's number one hit wasn't written by her.

Regardless, these women are still called great female artists just like Rihanna. So why haven't you brought up this "sad" fact with everyone else in this thread who have brought up women who did not write all their own songs or who had hits written by someone else?

Here's my best top 3 female artists:

3. Michelle Branch

2. Lani Misalucha

1. Ayumi Hamasaki (AKA "Ayu" or The Empress of Pop)

Reventón;3225709
How is it sad when the artists have purposely written those songs for her? Ne-Yo was asked about "Take A Bow", and he said he wrote it for her, as did T.I. when he decided to include her in his "Live Your Life".
Ok, sad was perhaps the wrong word... But I think it's wrong and unfair, because they don't deserve all the fame and money IMO. They can sing, and so can millions of other girls. God damn, even a friend of mine can sing just as good as all those big names (and thats in a small village of north Sweden). It's about luck and look, and I don't like that.

Reventón;3225709
Despite that, what difference does that make? Pat Benatar didn't write all her hits (Heartbreaker was written by 2 other guys). Belinda Carlisle's hit "Heaven Is A Place on Earth" was written by someone else. Even Tina Turner's number one hit wasn't written by her.
Have I said I like Pat, Belinda or Tina? No...

Reventón;3225709
Regardless, these women are still called great female artists just like Rihanna. So why haven't you brought up this "sad" fact with everyone else in this thread who have brought up women who did not write all their own songs or who had hits written by someone else?
Because I just noticed this thread, and your post happened to be the first one I read.

I don't wanna insult you. I just shared my opinion.

Last edited:
Angela Gossow :lol:

angela_gossow.jpg

This is a bit broad isn't it? (no pun intended) I mean, across all genres?

Judging by the music that I actually own my answer is:

Fiona Apple

...though Madonna and Gwen Stefani (with No Doubt) are way up there.

In terms of raw talent, probably Celine Dion.

Honorable Mentions:
Susan Tedeschi

Also, she belts it out on this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5WqPSDvjoA&
Christina Aguilera (do yourself a favor and listen to this live acappella performance)

Dianna Krall

Imogen Heap

and of course... Kylie Minogue who's videos I'll let you find on your own.

^ Note that with the exception of Imogen, those videos are all of live performances.

...If you try to go back too far, the female musicians disappear. So they're all fairly recent. I also happen to not care for the only ones I can think of from the 60's. From the 70's I would nominate ABBA, but it's difficult to decipher which of the girls did the singing and when.

Last edited:
I'll have to agree with Danoff on Susan Tedeschi.
She has a voice like Ella, Plays Guitar like Buddy Guy, and has the audacity to be kinda cute on top of all that.

I also like Bonnie Raitt, Cheryl Crow, Patti Loveless, Allison Krauss, Aretha, and Reba.

Gil
I also like Bonnie Raitt, Cheryl Crow, Patti Loveless, Allison Krauss, Aretha, and Reba.

Misspelling of Sheryl. :rolleyes:

My favorite is probably...got too many, but at the moment, it's Rihanna. :nervous:

Imogen Heap for sure. She's amazing on her live videos - overdubbing each layer of audio and creating loops as she sings them.

K.T. Tunstall has an amazing singing voice and is quite skilled on guitar as well.

And my personal favourite - Feist

Hm, maybe Bjork.
Yeah she's good. I like musicians who got their own style, and she is one of them.

I'd say my top three female bands/artists are:

1. Nina Persson (singer in The Cardigans/A Camp)
2. Sahara Hotnights (band)
3. Björk

Misspelling of Sheryl. :rolleyes:

My favorite is probably...got too many, but at the moment, it's Rihanna. :nervous:
I don't own any of her music, I just listen to it.
And YOU knew who I was talking about....:rolleyes:

IMO, no female singer came even come near the greatness of Billie Holiday. Period. Thread over!

One of my favorite songs of all time...

The rest in no particular order...

Annie Lennox (Eurythmics)
Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac)
Ann Wilson (Heart)
Dale Bozzio (Missing Persons)
Chrissie Hynde (The Pretenders)
Tina Turner
Lene Lovich (Weird chick, but I like her) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nu2QX3GU-U

It would seem that as ever, the world has forgotten one of it's greatest female vocalists so I'm going to bring her into the light and say Eva Cassidy.
I've noticed that generally people haven't heard of her, which is a great shame because her voice is absolutely amazing but unfortunately she became a victim of cancer just before she made it big and so unless word is spread I fear she will be forgotten. Here's a few songs for you all to listen to, I can only hope you'll enjoy it and spread the music to keep it alive.

Over The Rainbow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUwTdqPkluY

What A Wonderful World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQuksPhbUMc

Bridge Over Troubled Water
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYyQcQSqpbI

Imagine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soRFEeLEXn4

True Colours
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SIX-Qp6v4k

Fields Of Gold
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3YVil3Ajjs

Lots of classic names listed here, and for good reason...they deserve to be. One genre and its sub-genres that I think sounds best with female vocals is Electronic. All those techno/euro-dance/industrial groups that have females in the group or remix songs from female vocalists, to me, just sound more energetic. Something about the fast/erratic/harsh beats combined with a soft, melodic female voice. Plus all the Euro metal bands with chicks like Nightwish, Within Temptation, Arch Enemy, etc.

Some of my favorites are, aside from Nightwish, Arch Enemy, Within Temptation:
Justine Suissa from OceanLab
All the ones who have been in Blutengel
Ones who worked with Delerium
T.a.T.u----yes I said it, I like Russian.

Just too many to say who is best. Every genre has a best, and every person has a different opinion on who is best.

Lisa Gerrard, without a doubt. Even knowing I will hear her voice at any point soon sends shivers down my spine. Apparently she sings in a language she made up when she was 12...Anyone know if there is any truth in that?

Back