Best headset (with or w/ mic) for GT Sport?

• Thread starter adstomko
  • 25 comments
England
England
adstomko
Hi all,

Does anyone recommend a particular headset for the game, preferably for under £40? I want sound quality as the priority. A microphone is not needed but it would be convenient.

Thanks.

Hi all,

Does anyone recommend a particular headset for the game, preferably for under £40? I want sound quality as the priority. A microphone is not needed but it would be convenient.

Thanks.

You'll struggle to get a decent set under £40, But for £55 you can pick up a pair of Astro A10s which is the headset I just stopped using earlier this week, but served me well for the last 18 months, has punchy sound and a good mic but is only stereo sound and is wired.

Just a few days ago though, I picked up the New model PS Gold Headset for £70, that has 7.1 Surround Sound and Wireless which is incredible in GT Sport, I'm able to pinpoint which tyre is losing traction through sound only, as well as get a bit better idea where cars are around me are without glancing at the radar, although the sound itself isn't as punchy as the Astro A10s I had before, which is entirely natural with Surround Sound vs. Stereo sound. The mic on the Gold headset is pretty good too. Definitely feels like an upgrade over my old A10s

There are other options on the market, but I find below £50 in the headset department you start to notice a deep dive in quality, and those 2 that I have mentioned I do have experience with. A lot of people like the HyperX Cloud II as well, I did try them briefly and wasn't a fan, but that's a subjective thing as they are highly rated.

The bottom line with headsets seems to be you quite literally get what you pay for. Those ones above £100 are way out of my range though! :lol:

I just upgraded to the Sony Gold headset too from some Turtle Beach VR350.

The sound quality is much better, has mic monitoring with a hidden boom and is completely wireless.

I think the main improvement in quality is being proper wireless rather than Bluetooth through the controller. ( I know Bluetooth is wireless but maybe a lower quality? )

Definitely worth the extra £30

...Just a few days ago though, I picked up the New model PS Gold Headset for £70, that has 7.1 Surround Sound and Wireless which is incredible in GT Sport, I'm able to pinpoint which tyre is losing traction through sound only, as well as get a bit better idea where cars are around me are without glancing at the radar, although the sound itself isn't as punchy as the Astro A10s I had before, which is entirely natural with Surround Sound vs. Stereo sound. The mic on the Gold headset is pretty good too. Definitely feels like an upgrade over my old A10s

I saw these the other day and was wondering if they were an improvement over the old Sony Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 - https://www.playstation.com/de-ch/explore/accessories/wireless-stereo-headset-20/

I never got on with them as they were too trebly and bass light for my ears. I ended up using a pair of normal wired headphones instead, however they don't do 7.1 surround, and I quite like the idea 7.1 when gaming.

I never got on with them as they were too trebly and bass light for my ears. I ended up using a pair of normal wired headphones instead, however they don't do 7.1 surround, and I quite like the idea 7.1 when gaming.

This is a natural side effect of 7.1 Surround Sound, the only way to get around it is by spending obscene money on an extremely high quality headset, the design of the new gold headset easily beats the old though, in terms of comfort, battery life and features.

I use both Sennheiser HD 25 II and V-Moda M-100, depends on which is most near to the hand, but thats because im a DJ and have these headphones.

The Sennheiser is very light and suitable for extensive wear, while the V-Moda M-100 is quite heavy. Both sound extraordinary and are different type of headphones

Edit: Just know i saw under 40$. These are way more expensive. Ignore this.

The Logitech G430 headset might be in your price range. I paid $70 cdn for mine.

I’m really happy with it but you need buy the 3.5mm splitter which is another 10 bucks or so.

I use my headphones for music as well as gaming so I usually use Grado headphones and then a cheap Sony microphone for chat. I wouldn't expected any quality headphones for less than $70 and Grado's cheapest pair of cans are $80. The microphone difference between a $50 gamer headphone and the $10 Sony mic is negligible but the audio difference between the gamer headphones and the Grado headphones is dramatic.

Thanks for the replies guys. Been busy recently and therefore not had chance to respond as quickly as normal.

It's a tough call really. I like having the sound as close to my ears as possible, because back in my motorsport days, the engine was directly to the left or behind me, resulting in a similar sound found in headphones (or vice versa).

If it isn't worth spending a fair a bit of money on, then I may stick to TV sound.
I would like to save for a Thrustmastet TGT too, but I don't think that'll ever be possible

Just a few days ago though, I picked up the New model PS Gold Headset for £70, that has 7.1 Surround Sound and Wireless which is incredible in GT Sport, I'm able to pinpoint which tyre is losing traction through sound only,

I've been using this headset for sometime now and I would absolutely recommend this headset to anyone playing GTS.

I think ( just my opinion ) that the only advantage of some big headphones is that slider who make sound balance between the game sound and the party sound in online racing, if they have it ( PS Gold set have it, I think ).
Otherwise I use a cheap in-ear smartphone headset , not sure if in GT Sport it's so important that surround sound, the engine it's the only thing you need to hear !
But I may be wrong !

Last edited:
Kicking up an old thread I know

Search brought this up

Has anybody tried the TRUE 7.1 gaming headsets with multiple speakers set side vs the Virtual Surround sound type?

I recently bough an (old) Tritton AX PRO+ - wich has separate speakers on each side and you can actually set volume by speaker, it was an imeeense upgrade from the PS Gold.
Wonder if there is a new version of that tritton ax pro (with separate speakers).
http://trittonheadsets.com/prod/proplus-pc.php

probably/likelly at this points you can only find these used on ebay/amazon

HyperX Cloud II's here. Great sound (for me) and the DAC does a good job with plenty of un-distorted volume but the noise cancelling mic through the DAC isn't the clearest. Everybody moans it's too quiet so I have to switch to the 3.5mm jack. Perfectly clear when I do but then I've lost the 7.1 sound that sounds brilliant in cockpit view.:banghead:

HyperX Cloud II's here. Great sound (for me) and the DAC does a good job with plenty of un-distorted volume but the noise cancelling mic through the DAC isn't the clearest. Everybody moans it's too quiet so I have to switch to the 3.5mm jack. Perfectly clear when I do but then I've lost the 7.1 sound that sounds brilliant in cockpit view.:banghead:

The PS4 doesn't play nice with certain USB mics. From the trouble shooting I've done it's a PS4 USB bandwidth issue. I've had similar issues with the my Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless, but I never have an issue using it with my PC. I have a friend who also has had issues with mic volume from his Steel Series.

My friend has the issue much more than I do, so we were able to work out what triggers it by comparing when we have issues. First way to avoid the low volume levels is to fully power off you PS4, do not put it in rest mode. If you play with your controller plugged in, do not plug it in until after you've started, and logged into your PS4, and after you see the usb mic/headset pop-up on screen. Then when you plug in your controller and get the screen asking who is using it, hit O to cancel. If you still have low mic volume unplug the DAC and your controller, wait 15 secs, and then plug the DAC back in. Some times it takes 2 or 3 tries, but it seems that's when I've been impatient and not waited long enough to plug the DAC back in. Having the controller unplugged at start and not using rest mode avoids the problem 99% of the time...at least with the Steel Series. Hopefully it helps with your Hyper X volume issues.

The PS4 doesn't play nice with certain USB mics. From the trouble shooting I've done it's a PS4 USB bandwidth issue. I've had similar issues with the my Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless, but I never have an issue using it with my PC. I have a friend who also has had issues with mic volume from his Steel Series.

My friend has the issue much more than I do, so we were able to work out what triggers it by comparing when we have issues. First way to avoid the low volume levels is to fully power off you PS4, do not put it in rest mode. If you play with your controller plugged in, do not plug it in until after you've started, and logged into your PS4, and after you see the usb mic/headset pop-up on screen. Then when you plug in your controller and get the screen asking who is using it, hit O to cancel. If you still have low mic volume unplug the DAC and your controller, wait 15 secs, and then plug the DAC back in. Some times it takes 2 or 3 tries, but it seems that's when I've been impatient and not waited long enough to plug the DAC back in. Having the controller unplugged at start and not using rest mode avoids the problem 99% of the time...at least with the Steel Series. Hopefully it helps with your Hyper X volume issues.

I'll give that a try. Thank you.:cheers:

Are headset/mic setups in GTS for talking to other members online only?

I've only ever used the earpiece/mic that came with my PS4 when I played F1, to hear my crew radioing me instead of his voice booming out of my soundbar.

Is there a major sound quality difference between plugging into the controller vs going USB?

Depends on the headset. If it's one that is supported by PS4 for simulated 5.1 or 7.1, than yes there can be...depending on the quality of the headset's implementation of surround sound. If it's stereo USB (or unsupported) then there's no difference.

HyperX Cloud Alpha has been a brilliant set for all gaming. For (fake) 7.1 or to boost power on headphones one can use the HyperX usb soundcard - works like a charm in ps4.

Depends on the headset. If it's one that is supported by PS4 for simulated 5.1 or 7.1, than yes there can be...depending on the quality of the headset's implementation of surround sound. If it's stereo USB (or unsupported) then there's no difference.
Is there a list somewhere?

If money isn’t an issue, then Astro A40s would be my recommendation. I’ve been using them ever since I got my first PS4 in late 2013, and I’ve always been satisfied.

I have a set of Tritons. I paid decent money for them. ($147.00).

I have always said spend the extra money on your headset. You will not regret it.

Think about it. If you play for hours on end you will want something comfortable, ergonomic, and sounds good/great. I like over the ear cups vs on ear cups. Fatigue on your head and neck is real.
I play for 4+ hours every Saturday. I couldn’t do those kinds of stints with cheap, uncomfortable, poor sounding headset.

Long story short. Don’t scrimp on that piece of gear if you can. You’ll not regret it.

You'll struggle to get a decent set under £40, But for £55 you can pick up a pair of Astro A10s which is the headset I just stopped using earlier this week, but served me well for the last 18 months, has punchy sound and a good mic but is only stereo sound and is wired.

Just a few days ago though, I picked up the New model PS Gold Headset for £70, that has 7.1 Surround Sound and Wireless which is incredible in GT Sport, I'm able to pinpoint which tyre is losing traction through sound only, as well as get a bit better idea where cars are around me are without glancing at the radar, although the sound itself isn't as punchy as the Astro A10s I had before, which is entirely natural with Surround Sound vs. Stereo sound. The mic on the Gold headset is pretty good too. Definitely feels like an upgrade over my old A10s

There are other options on the market, but I find below £50 in the headset department you start to notice a deep dive in quality, and those 2 that I have mentioned I do have experience with. A lot of people like the HyperX Cloud II as well, I did try them briefly and wasn't a fan, but that's a subjective thing as they are highly rated.

The bottom line with headsets seems to be you quite literally get what you pay for. Those ones above £100 are way out of my range though! :lol:

I have the same headset but I don't seem to be able to get the mic to work.

Back