Best NASCAR setup for Daytona

• Thread starter impulse999
  • 208 comments
Online for me best w/ very fast 41.308, 41.315 to 41.340 consistent
You got me curious, Herbie, about how each setting effects lap times, so I did a quick test in my Online Lounge:

41.07x Tire Wear Off, Grip Low
41.09x Tire Wear Off, Grip Real
41.29x Tire Wear On: Normal, Grip Real
41.29x Tire Wear On: Very Fast, Grip Real

I did this rather quickly, but it's Daytona, so I assume the difference between 5 minutes per test and an hour per test is a hundredth or two at most.

This is all done with my race setup, meaning I can run this lap, then without leaving the track, run the next race. None of that qualifying transmission crap.

*Did a quick test offline, and the lap times are effortlessly faster than any of the above tests.

Same results, I'm running similar times, but offline time was running 41 flats, never tested with low grip. As I usually run real.

I'm assuming all past Daytona hotlap times are irrelivant now due to the PP changes in the NASCAR cars. Been thinking about coming out of retirement to do some more hotlapping at Daytona, Indy, and some circuits. Its been awhile but I'm sure this old man can still put you kids to shame.:sly:

I think we should set up some parameters as far as room settings online or offline in Arcade or Practice mode. What do you guys think?

I was thinking maybe like some sort of leaderboard for NASCAR cars including various tracks. Just some friendly competition if you will. That is if you guys arn't afraid of getting your asses whipped by a 46 year old man. :lol:

I'm assuming all past Daytona hotlap times are irrelivant now due to the PP changes in the NASCAR cars. Been thinking about coming out of retirement to do some more hotlapping at Daytona, Indy, and some circuits. Its been awhile but I'm sure this old man can still put you kids to shame.:sly:

I think we should set up some parameters as far as room settings online or offline in Arcade or Practice mode. What do you guys think?

I was thinking maybe like some sort of leaderboard for NASCAR cars including various tracks. Just some friendly competition if you will. That is if you guys arn't afraid of getting your asses whipped by a 46 year old man. :lol:

I wish you would. I've grown tired of seeing you online, but never racing. :sly:

Alright...be careful what you wish for tho.:lol:

What do you think about my NASCAR leaderboard idea tho?

Fine by me, but I don't put much emphasis on solo laps.

I'd say the standards are:
Online Lobby (not lounge)
Tire Wear: 'Fast'
Grip: Real
Race Quality: High
Mic Quality: Standard
Draft: Weak
Damage: Off
Visual: Off
Can't tell if I'm missing something.
Free run, with Collisions off.

Lap must be run without pitting at all. (thus a full tank minus the 2 warm up laps)
Usually the best lap for me is #3, with 2 laps to get full speed.

Fine by me, but I don't put much emphasis on solo laps.

I'd say the standards are:
Online Lobby (not lounge)
Tire Wear: 'Fast'
Grip: Real
Race Quality: High
Mic Quality: Standard
Draft: Weak
Damage: Off
Visual: Off
Can't tell if I'm missing something.
Free run, with Collisions off.

Lap must be run without pitting at all. (thus a full tank minus the 2 warm up laps)
Usually the best lap for me is #3, with 2 laps to get full speed.

Alright, thanks for your input. Think I'll start putting something together soon. NASCAR season is quickly approaching and I'm starting to get the itch.:sly:

Alright, thanks for your input. Think I'll start putting something together soon. NASCAR season is quickly approaching and I'm starting to get the itch.:sly:

It's a good idea but I'd have some kind of verification system. I think ultimately anyone should be willing to drop into a lobby and run laps under the watch of an "official" before their times get posted on the board. Unless you can have complete verification through a replay of all settings and parameters.
Without a verification system it's going to turn into one giant :censored:fest...lol.

I'd let anyone post a time but you can only get into the top 10 for example if you drop into an approved lobby for testing within 30 days.

LOL, those are offline times, tell you what, go in a online lobby. Throw real grip, weak draft, tire wear on normal and run 3 laps, then same with very fast tire wear. Post that video! We aint talking offline times here.
I didn't think there was a difference between offline and online after the last few updates.

Also, why wouldn't a lounge be any different from an online lobby?

Wouldn't it be something if PD patched in the 2013 skins before Eutechnyx :P. wishful thinking, I know.

As far as my NASCAR leaderboard, I was thinking of doing it in offline Practice Mode or maybe even in Arcade Mode (no tuning) and having the top 5 submit replays via the method we use in the WRS TT's. Maybe borrow some rules from CSLACR's 'Ring leaderboard thread or something as his thread seems to be going well with no problems. Not sure yet, still pondering some things. I'll make a new thread tho as not to hi-jack this one any longer.

I didn't think there was a difference between offline and online after the last few updates.

Also, why wouldn't a lounge be any different from an online lobby?

I believe there is a difference between offline/online and NASCAR at Daytona is actually one of the easiest ways to back that theory. Not only are lap times different, even when settings are identical, but adjustments have alternate effects. The things I changed online, that had a positive effect, negatively effected my offline lap time and versa visa.

As far as my NASCAR leaderboard, I was thinking of doing it in offline Practice Mode or maybe even in Arcade Mode (no tuning) and having the top 5 submit replays via the method we use in the WRS TT's. Maybe borrow some rules from CSLACR's 'Ring leaderboard thread or something as his thread seems to be going well with no problems. Not sure yet, still pondering some things. I'll make a new thread tho as not to hi-jack this one any longer.

Please post a link to the new thread when you have it set up 👍

Please post a link to the new thread when you have it set up 👍

Alright, will do. I'm leaning towards running it in Practice Mode right now. Just working out some details and stuff. I'll put the link to the thread in my sig when I create it.

I believe there is a difference between offline/online and NASCAR at Daytona is actually one of the easiest ways to back that theory. Not only are lap times different, even when settings are identical, but adjustments have alternate effects. The things I changed online, that had a positive effect, negatively effected my offline lap time and versa visa.
I'll check that out. I know what my practice times are at the moment. My lounge should give the same results as an open lobby room I setup correct?

Sorry for being late with this, but here is the settings that I got from another thread in these forums...NOTE: the settings are formatted like this --> **Tuning Option** -- Value for Front/Value for Rear ....here it goes...

First, Get into your NASCAR of choice, and go buy the Chassis Stiffing Bars for the car. It is a one time purchase (and the only purchase aside from oil that you can make for these cars). NOTE, this feature CANNOT be turned off, but is worth the money when driving the car. NEXT...go tune the beast...

In Suspension:
Ride Height -- +15/+15
Spring Rate -- 18.5/18.5
Dampers (Ext.) -- 8/4
Dampers (Comp.) -- 8/4
Sway Bars -- 4/4

Camber -- 3.0/3.0
Toe -- 0.0/0.20

======================

In Drivetrain>Limited Slip Differential:
Initial Torque -- 60
Acceleration Sensitivity -- 60
Braking Sensitivity --15

======================

In Body/Chassis:
Downforce -- 20/40 NOTE: This is the minimum setting for Downforce on the NASCARs...trust me when I say it, "You will notice a wobbly handling, but it is well worth it to learn how to control your car at this setting....and I use the regular old controller to race and am fairly good at it"

======================

In Driving Options (the "tuning knob" in the Racing/Event Lobby)
Turn off ALL, and yes, I do absolutely mean ALL Driving Enhancements

Tires -- Racing Soft
ABS -- Set to Zero

======================

I hope these settings work for you like they worked for me...happy racing, and hope to see you out on the track...BTW, my username and Play Station 3 ID are the same...

I've been a long-time lurker on this forum. You sir,just made my day. This tune allowed my Bob to take the lead on the 3rd lap of Daytona and never giving it up. Awesome tune.. Thanks for sharing this tune.

Ran in my lounge and then quickly opened a room, times were very close. I then went into a couple other rooms and the times varied by over a tenth. Maybe the hosts connection has something to do with it. Sadly none of my best laps were close to that of Whoosiergirls, would love to see that setup. 41.117 online was all I could do.

The last time I tested this, offline times were quicker than online times as far as hotlapping goes. That was many updates ago tho so things may have changed since then.

As far as an open lobby and a private lounge, I don't think it makes a difference as its all online anyway.

Can you verify everything you need to verify in offline practice mode? I would assume then that tire wear would be off so you wouldn't have to verify it?

Can you verify everything you need to verify in offline practice mode? I would assume then that tire wear would be off so you wouldn't have to verify it?

Did some testing/tuning today to improve my NASCAR setup.
As far as I can tell, nothing actually helps NASCAR @ Daytona.
Tested SRF and Active Steering and neither quickened lap times.
ASM was forced in one of the 'Special Events' and was a train wreck.
Cutting the course will cause a 'red lap' as will smacking the wall.
The only thing to police would be grip real/low in which case it's probably best to just use the quickest one, so that everyone is on the same playing field and you can avoid worrying about people deviously using the wrong option. Based on long strings of laps run, I actually prefer testing with Tire Wear off, so that 1 mistake doesn't require running 3 entire laps over again. With tire wear off, you can just continue racing and if your best lap comes on lap 23 then sobeit.

The only possible issue with the above, is if someone turns tire wear on, runs the car down to a near-empty tank, puts on fresh tires and posts a blistering lap. Not sure if it's possible, might test it later.

The only possible issue with the above, is if someone turns tire wear on, runs the car down to a near-empty tank, puts on fresh tires and posts a blistering lap. Not sure if it's possible, might test it later.

It is possible but can easily be recognized by seeing the lap the fasted time was run on.
Any blistering time set past lap 5 or 6 with tire wear on would certainly be highly suspect.

It is possible but can easily be recognized by seeing the lap the fasted time was run on.
Any blistering time set past lap 5 or 6 with tire wear on would certainly be highly suspect.

I assumed we would be using the leaderboard as picture proof.
Although it makes more sense to use a full screen picture as proof, that includes the lap time and current tire/fuel state.

Offline practice, 40.080 Real grip. For this run no tire wear. All aids off except ABS @ 1. All other settings are as usual..RS tires and such.

Back