Best Racing game(s) for the PSP?

• Thread starter JCE
  • 74 comments
But at least it won't suck like pro street did on both consoles. And undercover was a GREAT game!!!!!!!!!!!! As soon as i got it, GT5P was put away until i beat the game(4days of non stop playing). It had a lot of cars everyone likes, great graphics, fun online play, and a gameplay that would make you want to play it over and over.

PS. They need to slap some real world tracks and customization into that game. And then GRID is screwed.

I just hope they do a better job on it than they did with the previous PSP NFS games. I've tried almost all of them and haven't found any that are that great, just average arcade racers.
Definitely can't wait for Dirt 2 though, I might finally take a break Colin Mcrae 2005 when it comes out since I still play that a lot.

For me, need for speed carbon. haven't been able to get my hands on test drive unlimited yet

I disagree entirely. While most of the posts in this thread have been tongue-in-cheek, the PSP has many standout racing games. Ridge Racer 2, Wipeout Pulse, TDU, Outrun 2K6, Burnout Legend (and Dominator), Race Driver 2006, NFS Carbon (and Pro Street), Midnight Club L.A. Remix, Juiced 2, etc.
Outright bad racers on the PSP are the exception rather than the norm, especially when compared to the staggering variety that the DS offers in quality racing games (Mario Kart and... um...Ferrari Challenge?).

The PSP has plenty of great racing titles. In addition to the ones that Toronado listed I would also add...

Colin McRae Rally
WRC
TOCA 2 & 3

All solid racing titles on the PSP, its actually one of the genres it does very well in regard to.

Cheers

Scaff

I'm really enjoying Ridge Racer 2 and Road Rash 1,2 & 3 on the EA Replay disc. RR4 from the PS store is pretty cool, too.

Retrospectively looking at the PSP, I think it has 4 of the greatest arcade racing games ever made.

Ridge Racer 2 is peak Ridge Racer. The drifting in this game is so satisfying, and it has the perfect track list (circuits and songs). Type 4 is more stylish and RR7 has more bells and whistles, but RR2 is by far the most enjoyable.

Outrun 2006 is undoubtedly one of the greatest arcade racers, and the PSP version is arguably the best. There are prettier and smoother versions, but the PSP version is so quick to pick up and play.

I think Wipeout Pure is peak Wipeout. Arguments could be made for Pulse or Omega Collection, but the ships just feel right to me in Pure. I also love the simple colourful aesthetic.

My most controversial pick is Burnout Dominator as peak Burnout. Many people would say Burnout 3 and name the lack of a crash mode as a critical flaw of Dominator. I say the lack of crash mode is well worth it for the return of burnout chains. The feel of drifting and chaining burnouts in this game is sublime.

The PSP came out at just the right time to make these games. It was when arcade racing games were great. It was a flagship product by one of the biggest gaming companies, that threw all the best resources at it. It was designed with portability in mind, so the games are easy to pick up, fast loading, and with clear visuals that are easy to read.

Nowadays, using emulation these games are even better with higher res, locked framerates through cheats and are playable on almost anything.

Back