Best sounding cars in gran turismo 6

• Thread starter KraigA
  • 456 comments
I'm sure its been stated plenty of times, but the Mazda LM55 VGT has to be one for sure. If every other car, except the 97T & Redbull Cars, sound quiet & dull (more quiet than the latter) after the Rotary-powered LMP, then something was done right with it IMO.

Add to the fact how its exhaust is arranged with the chassis (blown-exhaust potential ?), how each downshift-blip has that wonderful 'pop' with the flames, and how it, to me, sounds miles better than the 787B, and I think it's currently the best sounding car in GT at this time.

Curious if the Nissan GT-R LMP will shake things up in that aspect though.

New tune made exclusively for sound. I think it sounds great, but would like to know your thoughts? The tune is in the description and pay attention to the parts because they must be exact.

I think it sounds like a 1000 cc motorbike. There's not even a hint of 12 cylinder sound:

Of course it's not going to sound exactly like a real one. However this is the best it can get. If you drive it stock it just sounds ok and maxed out it sounds weird. This gives it the perfect balance between sound and performance. Going away is when it sounds the best to me. Same with downshifting.

Of course it's not going to sound exactly like a real one. However this is the best it can get. If you drive it stock it just sounds ok and maxed out it sounds weird.
It's a shame that the fantastic sound of a V12 is something that PD seems incapable of recreating.

New tune made exclusively for sound. I think it sounds great, but would like to know your thoughts? The tune is in the description and pay attention to the parts because they must be exact.

Put a racing exhaust on it.

It's a shame that the fantastic sound of a V12 is something that PD seems incapable of recreating.
It's a sample availability issue, they don't even have suitable straight six sounds, it seems. AES can do it just fine, and that's where their focus is.

My favorites have to be the following:

*Chevrolet Corvette Stingray '63
image.jpg

*Nissan R390 Road Car '98
image.jpg

*Alpine A110 '73
image.jpg

The sounds listed are well suited for the vehicle, knowing the sound inconsistencies.

---

There is not a single (normal) V12 sound in the game as far as I'm concerned. I cannot wait to see the Pagani Huayra in its full glory with the AES sound database. Maybe the turbocharger will have heftier blow-offs and a thicker sound overall in Gran Turismo 7. I am ready.

Last edited:
I wonder why they aren't using the separate off throttle tone on the newer cars that the Subaru had.

If I think about how they do it, it should be automated to convert from the full model to that approximation.

So why did they stop?

Here it is one of the most epic sounding cars in the game. Lamborghini Aventador LP 750 4 SuperVeloce. I made this car to look and perform exactly the same as the real one and was very surprised to hear how good it sounded. Tune for looks and performance is in the description if anyone wants to make it.

Here it is one of the most epic sounding cars in the game. Lamborghini Aventador LP 750 4 SuperVeloce. I made this car to look and perform exactly the same as the real one and was very surprised to hear how good it sounded. Tune for looks and performance is in the description if anyone wants to make it.

Doesnt sound anything like a V12 though :(

We can't expect exact engine sounds we can just hope for close enough. This one has a deep bass which I haven't heard with any other car so far.
No, we can hope for more. Most cars, even if they sound like vacuum cleaners, at least have the right sound for how many cylinders they have. But for some, this isn't true (McLaren F1 was given V16 sample instead if V12, most V12 Lamborghini cars are given V10 engine sounds instead.) PD could at least give the Lamborghinis the Pagani Zonda V12 sound instead.

For me, the biggest problem, is the same sound being used in totally different cars. I hate when i buy a 4 cylinder, and it sounds just like any skyline on the game.

This Lamborghini sound can be found in all Lambos, and some other cars too. It is, the best sound for it, but definitely not the best sound of the game.

No, we can hope for more. Most cars, even if they sound like vacuum cleaners, at least have the right sound for how many cylinders they have. But for some, this isn't true (McLaren F1 was given V16 sample instead if V12, most V12 Lamborghini cars are given V10 engine sounds instead.) PD could at least give the Lamborghinis the Pagani Zonda V12 sound instead.

Exactly this. It's as much to do with allocating the correct sample to the correct engine configuration as it is to do with sounding "good".

Two new VGT cars brings two totally different sounding cars. At first I liked the Alpine, but now I kinda like the Lexus. Which one do you think sounds better?

Neither one sounds like a real car IMO, just louder and more raspy/buzzy than a typical GT car.

I disagree. Cars make all sorts of different noises now a days. So many custom exhaust kits for literally any car it can sound like whatever you want it to. A real car could easily sound like these.
He just wants to diss GT6 like always.

To me the two new VGTs sound both good (and realistic)!

Neither one sounds like a real car IMO, just louder and more raspy/buzzy than a typical GT car.
If you were able to hear just the exhaust in isolation on a real car, your opinion might change - that's quite rare to find in recordings, though, and only truly accessible through simulation. The tunings do however represent unusual setups, purely to account for missing sources - but they are physically possible for the most part.

The main reason for "weirdness" in the new exhaust sounds (aside from the massive issue of missing sources), that causes the drop in fidelity and listener fatigue, is what PD call "phase noise". That's purely there to stop things sounding too smooth, but with a few more cycles you can use a more physically based method (e.g. a turbulence model) instead of just plain "randomness".

So in order for the sound not to be too "digital" (like old AM synth), they add noise, but then it sounds too "digital"... Still, crunchy distortion is better than hollow square-wave vibes, because one is more like real exhausts than the other.

PD are doing an excellent job of synthesising exhaust sounds on the fly, and I can't wait to hear the result when they get intakes working, too, and all the extra filters they've yet to enable. Then it's all about the customisation.

Back