Best sounding cars in gran turismo 6

• Thread starter KraigA
  • 456 comments
He just wants to diss GT6 like always.

To me the two new VGTs sound both good (and realistic)!
I was just expressing my opinion about the sounds, I thought that was the purpose of the question. Why don't you just express yours without dissing me?

If you were able to hear just the exhaust in isolation on a real car, your opinion might change - that's quite rare to find in recordings, though, and only truly accessible through simulation. The tunings do however represent unusual setups, purely to account for missing sources - but they are physically possible for the most part.

The main reason for "weirdness" in the new exhaust sounds (aside from the massive issue of missing sources), that causes the drop in fidelity and listener fatigue, is what PD call "phase noise". That's purely there to stop things sounding too smooth, but with a few more cycles you can use a more physically based method (e.g. a turbulence model) instead of just plain "randomness".

So in order for the sound not to be too "digital" (like old AM synth), they add noise, but then it sounds too "digital"... Still, crunchy distortion is better than hollow square-wave vibes, because one is more like real exhausts than the other.

PD are doing an excellent job of synthesising exhaust sounds on the fly, and I can't wait to hear the result when they get intakes working, too, and all the extra filters they've yet to enable. Then it's all about the customisation.
Sounds like a great explanation of something partially working that might or might not work in the future, that might or might not produce something close to a real sounding car some day. Maybe. PS4, 2016/2017 FTW.

I was just expressing my opinion about the sounds, I thought that was the purpose of the question. Why don't you just express yours without dissing me?

You were wrong; these do sound like real exhausts. You've just never heard them in the same context as this - simulation output is actually very similar, just higher fidelity and usually less rasp (because roadcar).

It's fine not to like the tuning, which is over the top, for the reasons I mentioned.

Sounds like a great explanation of something partially working that might or might not work in the future, that might or might not produce something close to a real sounding car some day. Maybe. PS4, 2016/2017 FTW.
Sounds like ignorance to me! :P

Simulation works right now, it's used for every new car these days. PD will start a revolution with this real-time tech.
It's not exactly difficult, I've done it myself at a fundamental level; people just need that little push sometimes, although I know for a fact T10 are considering it, too. ;)

Neither one sounds like a real car IMO, just louder and more raspy/buzzy than a typical GT car.

That's what usually people asked when they want a custom muffler built for their car and no game is able to reproduce accurate sounds as if you hear it live, they are all approximation ( with more sound details included ). Not even PC games :)

You were wrong; these do sound like real exhausts. You've just never heard them in the same context as this - simulation output is actually very similar, just higher fidelity and usually less rasp (because roadcar).

It's fine not to like the tuning, which is over the top, for the reasons I mentioned.

Sounds like ignorance to me! :P

Simulation works right now, it's used for every new car these days. PD will start a revolution with this real-time tech.
It's not exactly difficult, I've done it myself at a fundamental level; people just need that little push sometimes, although I know for a fact T10 are considering it, too. ;)
I've never heard exhausts in this context because this context doesn't apply to a real car, its an artificial isolation of the exhaust note you would never find on a real car. Hence it doesn't sound real to my uprofessional ears, just raspy, loud, metallic and incomplete.
That's what usually people asked when they want a custom muffler built for their car and no game is able to reproduce accurate sounds as if you hear it live, they are all approximation ( with more sound details included ). Not even PC games :)
no game is accurate =/= all games are the same...blah blah blah.

I have a Volvo C30 R Design that sounds pretty nice. I'll have to see what upgrade I put on it.

"Games sound great" is the point is it not?

Just one criteria for me :) I still want more :P I've heard PC games from AC and Pcars ( videos ), they sound nice ( great too ), but I still find them lacking in realism when I play them at louder volume : -25 dB on my sound system, they have the foundation built quite well, but the sound fidelity just isn't there and how sound physics ( if that's the correct word @Griffith500 ) still feel fake when I closed my eyes ( compared when I was inside a car :lol: )

Pcars and AC are the aim for PD to shoot for :) for now.

I've never heard exhausts in this context because this context doesn't apply to a real car, its an artificial isolation of the exhaust note you would never find on a real car. Hence it doesn't sound real to my uprofessional ears, just raspy, loud, metallic and incomplete.
Yes, I understand, the overall result doesn't sound convincing because it's out of context.

A few mp3s of isolated sounds here. Note that the underlying simulation (before the rendering, with flow noise etc.) was heavily band-limited. High frequencies are not of concern when tuning the engine, and they're easily silenced, so there's no point wasting time with resolving them. However, Sonory's clips show that they can be accounted for just fine (either by simulating them, or adding them in some other way - "bandwidth extension").

The F1 clips are exhaust and intake, the others just exhaust - note the physical accuracy of the flyby rendering, which makes a massive difference and is extremely important for synthesis. There's no structural contribution in any of them, though, which is what rasp is (separate engineering concern in some respects) - so in order to get "real" exhaust sounds, you need to generate that rasp somehow. Again Sonory's stuff is more complete in that aspect, because of what it's intended to cater for.

I had an old implementation which starts with something like a reduced accuracy version of the WAVE clips (band-limited simulation) and adds a structural-style rasp effect (not as good as PD's), and poor-man's flow noise (not as good as WAVE / Sonory's / PD's) to the exhaust, plus a fake fuel map and resulting "pops" - the "rev limiter" is a script, and I had it cut the "ignition" in my fueling model for fun, but it doesn't work in replays due to the nature of the game. The intake is basically the raw simulation output with some aliasing due to inexpert filtering of the data (it was much harder to approach, couldn't make any progress on it, hence it still being raw), but its effect is still substantial. It also shows the effect of the missing sources, how the exhaust seems weird on its own and why you need to "roughen" it up a bit to compensate.

Once PD add intake, it'll be quite the difference.
Sonory's sounds are used in the game Automation.
no game is accurate =/= all games are the same...blah blah blah.
And all games have a long way to go, there's nothing wrong with discussing what could be, rather than revering the status quo. ;)

Bought a Jag S-Type R a few days ago. The racing exhaust sounds like that one racecar I forgot the name of...

Oh, right! The Jaguar XJR-9 LM.

Last edited:
The first thing I noticed when I bought GT6 was how every car sounded like either a vacuum cleaner or leaf-blower.

You are so right.

I still can't fathom why a renown racing game developer like Polyphony still thinks it can get away with putting the noise of these cars on the backburner. Yes, the graphics are great, the amount and scala of cars is fantastic, the tracks are wonderfull and the physics engine is good, but why oh why does a Panoz GTR sound like any Dyson?! Why does a Mercedes AMG SLS GT sound like your leafblower? I will not even start about the Audi Sport Quattro Group B rallycar, with it's(in reality) glorious sounding straight 5. I simply can't get my head around this.
I mean, it's not for lack of passion for cars, so much is evident. Is it some sort of blindness because of their own abillities? All competitors have their carsounds near spot on. A V8 sounds like a V8, A V10 like a V10 and so on...
I'm glad I bought this game just recently for the attractive sum of 10 euro's and I got the PS3 for free but otherwise I'd be rather pissed of. Now I'm just seriously dissapointed.

You are so right.

I still can't fathom why a renown racing game developer like Polyphony still thinks it can get away with putting the noise of these cars on the backburner. Yes, the graphics are great, the amount and scala of cars is fantastic, the tracks are wonderfull and the physics engine is good, but why oh why does a Panoz GTR sound like any Dyson?! Why does a Mercedes AMG SLS GT sound like your leafblower? I will not even start about the Audi Sport Quattro Group B rallycar, with it's(in reality) glorious sounding straight 5. I simply can't get my head around this.
I mean, it's not for lack of passion for cars, so much is evident. Is it some sort of blindness because of their own abillities? All competitors have their carsounds near spot on. A V8 sounds like a V8, A V10 like a V10 and so on...
I'm glad I bought this game just recently for the attractive sum of 10 euro's and I got the PS3 for free but otherwise I'd be rather pissed of. Now I'm just seriously dissapointed.
If you're praising the graphics, the amount of cars, the tracks, and the physics, but then get "seriously dissapointed" and dismissing the game for making the cars not sound like what you hear in real life, you're doing something wrong here.

Also: None of these cars sound like a leafblower or a vacuum cleaner. They sound like cars. Sweet Jesus.

If you're praising the graphics, the amount of cars, the tracks, and the physics, but then get "seriously dissapointed" and dismissing the game for making the cars not sound like what you hear in real life, you're doing something wrong here.

Also: None of these cars sound like a leafblower or a vacuum cleaner. They sound like cars. Sweet Jesus.

Leave Jesus out of this, if ya mind.

Look here boy, I've seen the last 20 24hrs of Le Mans and last 18 Spa 24hrs trackside. I've also visited The Goodwood Festival of Speed four times, the Nordschleife 24 hrs 6 times and countless other car and race events. On top of that, I've owned (amongst others) a 420bhp Supra RZ, a 440bhp RUF BTR, a 285bhp Celica GTfour, a mk1 Toyota MR2, an E39 M5 and am currently the proud owner of an Alfa Romeo SW GTA, lightly tuned. I think I know my stuff about the wonderfull sounds that car engines can produce 'dude'.

Believe me if I say that the noises of most all cars in GT6 are 🤬. Not all cars sound like your mothers Prius. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
These are my favorites with stock exhaust

1. Lexus LFA
  2. TVR V8S
  3. Ford Shelby GT500
  4. Dodge Viper ACR

I've owned (amongst others) a 420bhp Supra RZ, a 440bhp RUF BTR, a 285bhp Celica GTfour, a mk1 Toyota MR2, an E39 M5 and am currently the proud owner of an Alfa Romeo SW GTA, lightly tuned. I think I know my stuff about the wonderfull sounds that car engines can produce 'dude'.
^^^ I might just call BS on these cars you have owned... ^^^

Why the hostility?

I've driven sports cars too (GT-R, F430, Gallardo, G8, RX-7, 240SX come to mind). I know about car sounds too, you know, "dude."

Not all cars sound like your mothers Prius. ;-)
My mom doesn't even have a Prius. You're making quite the start for a newly registered member by getting aggressive against another member, don't you think?

Last edited:
Why the hostility?

I've driven sports cars too (GT-R, F430, Gallardo, G8, RX-7, 240SX come to mind). I know about car sounds too, you know, "dude."

My mom doesn't even have a Prius. You're making quite the start for a newly registered member by getting aggressive against another member, don't you think?

Oh deary me, boohoohoo. Maybe you should think before typing what you do then? You were the one starting of telling me I was doing something wrong whilst I was only telling about my experiences with a computergame vs. real life. On top of that, you're the one who throws in the name of Jesus. Something which, especially in your country, is easilly seen as disrespect for the other. So stop whining and just admit you haven't seen and heard enough cars in your live to be able to objectively judge which are or are not close to reality. It's o.k. to admit defeat, every once in a while, that's what builds caracter.

Greetings from Holland. ;-)

Oh deary me, boohoohoo. Maybe you should think before typing what you do then? You were the one starting of telling me I was doing something wrong whilst I was only telling about my experiences with a computergame vs. real life. On top of that, you're the one who throws in the name of Jesus. Something which, especially in your country, is easilly seen as disrespect for the other. So stop whining and just admit you haven't seen and heard enough cars in your live to be able to objectively judge which are or are not close to reality. It's o.k. to admit defeat, every once in a while, that's what builds caracter.

Before I fully reply, I will apologize for using the lord's name in vain if it offends you. But can I just say something?

Oh deary me, boohoohoo. Maybe you should think before typing what you do then?

I should be saying the same thing too. Why expect someone to roll along with you when you throw out something like:

Not all cars sound like your mothers Prius. ;-)

You will obviously get some sort of negative feedback if you go off at that tone.

Not trying to complain or whine or anything, but whenever someone gripes about one small thing while praising everything else major about a game, and end up not liking it, to me, it makes no sense. (But then again, it's my opinion, take it or leave it)

So stop whining and just admit you haven't seen and heard enough cars in your live to be able to objectively judge which are or are not close to reality.

I have seen races in real life as well, and I do recognize what cars sound good and what cars don't.

Sure, there are pretty bad sounding cars in GT6 (and I don't mind), but there is a reason as to why this thread exists.

"Best sounding cars in gran turismo 6"

With all due respect, sir, do think before you type.

Last edited:
So, a guy appears out of nowhere and starts with the hostility against another GTPlanet user.... aaah, yep, this is GTPlanet and the internet... ¬¬

C´mon guys, can we just discuss the topic without the same nonsense of always?
Yes, sounds are quite horrible with just a feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew exceptions. Progress is being made, the new visionGT cars are the living proof. Are they enough? Nop... but we were told that the real breakthrough was going to be made in GT7. We can only hope that's true....

How about you tone it down just a bit, and let the thread move on. Anger doesn't solve anything. By the way, welcome to :gtpflag:

Back