BMW 2-Series & M2

I just clicked on this thread thinking 'oh cool a new M2 is coming'. Then saw the last pics and kinda threw up a little in my mouth.

BMW is doing their bit to ensure the only sports cars worth owning are those of the past.

There is absolutely no point in buying an appliance from BMW but I guess they don't realise the real driving machine actually needs to look and drive like one. Smh.

mef
and kinda threw up a little in my mouth.

No, you didn't. You're being hyperbolic.

mef
BMW is doing their bit to ensure the only sports cars worth owning are those of the past.

G42 2-series Coupe is on its way to replace the F22 2-series Coupe. If there's an M version (which apparently there is) there's no reason to expect it not to live up to the current F87 M2, M2 Comp, or M2 CS's abilities. With the next M4 growing in size quite a bit, it's likely that the next M2 will fulfill the role of the older M3 Coupes... hardly the death of the sports car is it?

Yes, that is generally the context upon which that common idiom is used. Crazy, I know!

People also don't usually physically wrap their heads around things, bite bullets, go back to drawing boards (especially when most art is done digitally nowadays) , shatter camel vertebrae with straw, have potato chips on their shoulders or even jump over firearms. In fact, as far as I know, cats and dogs have not once ever fallen en masse from the sky. I get that it can be confusing, though, since people do frequently cross bridges, miss boats and inappropriately rub people.

Last edited:

G42 2-series Coupe is on its way to replace the F22 2-series Coupe. If there's an M version (which apparently there is) there's no reason to expect it not to live up to the current F87 M2, M2 Comp, or M2 CS's abilities. With the next M4 growing in size quite a bit, it's likely that the next M2 will fulfill the role of the older M3 Coupes... hardly the death of the sports car is it?

Looks do matter. If you think it's a great sports car please buy one and tell us the depreciation in year 3, that is a good indication of how the market perceives the sports car.
The F generation to me personally was a success in the looks department, also it got lighter. But the introduction of Turbos has crippled the sound and response of M engines as used before in the e46 and e92 M3.
Now with the G generation it looks like looks will be a problem and also drive train means those cars don’t occupy a unique space anymore. Any sucessor model stands to improve on the model before in terms of power output but at the cost of being a dime a dozen and less special for lack of natural aspiration. Yes I’m a purist but not so without reason. I’ve driven the e46,e92 and F series M3 and the F was simply the least exciting and special and that’s something I look for in a sports car.

Last edited:
mef
Looks do matter.

Perhaps, but they're also subjective.

mef
If you think it's a great sports car please buy one and tell us the depreciation in year 3, that is a good indication of how the market perceives the sports car.

No thanks, depreciation is one of the reasons I've no intention of ever buying any kind of new car. But, fortunately, I don't have to... the depreciation rate will be easy to gauge from the market without me buying one. If you'd care to post the 3 year depreciation for a number of other cars, including maybe the E46 and E92 M3's, and the F82 M84, we could revisit this subject in 3 years and see how it compares - factoring in of course other elements that affect depreciation.

mef
The F generation to me personally was a success in the looks department, also it got lighter. But the introduction of Turbos has crippled the sound and response of M engines as used before in the e46 and e92 M3.

Fair enough.

mef
Now with the G generation it looks like looks will be a problem and also drive train means those cars don’t occupy a unique space anymore. Any sucessor model stands to improve on the model before in terms of power output but at the cost of being a dime a dozen and less special for lack of natural aspiration.

Less special, and a dime a dozen isn't the result of forced induction, it's the result of your bias towards natural aspiration, and I'm sure it's fair to say that plenty of potential buyers of M products don't really give a crap about such dogma's. In any case, it's fine to have a preference but projecting that preference onto the entire market doesn't make it factual, and it's only one element of the whole package. Naturally Aspirated engines are currently on their way out, the automotive world must be a pretty small place for you if you consider any Forced Induction power car not to be special, and I also suspect it rules out many massively enjoyable, competent and special cars. I suppose that's the drawback of being a "purist".

Next-gen BMW 2 Series Coupe spotted - Will be based on a RWD platform and remains faithful to the leaked prototype posted on the last page:
2022-BMW-2-Series-Coupe-26.jpg

2022-BMW-2-Series-Coupe-29.jpg

2022-BMW-2-Series-Coupe-30.jpg

I saw this car being driven around the other day and I’m scratching my head at their decision to put something like this out. It’s horrendous looking from head to toe.

I came across one of the new Gran Coupes. It looks very chunky. The rear design is pretty bad. I can't really think of a worse design currently off the top of my head.

Also it looks worse in person.

According to BMW's social media team, your new M2 CS can be specced with a V10 engine! ;)

EDIT: Post has (thankfully) been removed

Last edited:
Long hood/bonnet. Maybe to make room for the V10? :D

I wonder if the new M2 is going to be equipped with the M xDrive like the BMW M8 Competition Coupé has?

Last edited:
Like the more 3-box proportions of an E36 mixed with the slightly chunkier profile of an E46.

So long as they don't mess the nose up, this stands to be quite an attractive car.

Last edited:
Camo is slowly peeling off the next 2-Series coupe. Thankfully, it appears to be retaining a reasonably sized grille and traditional waistline and hoffmeister kink, unlike the 4-Series.
2022-BMW-2-Series-6.jpg

2022-BMW-2-Series-10.jpg

2022-BMW-2-Series-13.jpg

Camo is slowly peeling off the next 2-Series coupe. Thankfully, it appears to be retaining a reasonably sized grille and traditional waistline and hoffmeister kink, unlike the 4-Series.
2022-BMW-2-Series-6.jpg

2022-BMW-2-Series-10.jpg

2022-BMW-2-Series-13.jpg

Checks out...

BMW-2022-2-Series-Coupe-1.jpeg
This post is oddly relevant today.

It does have some hints of BMW design which is a good sign - it's the correct size and has a Hoffmeister kink and horizontal grilles, although it lacks the trademark round headlights. Time will tell if this becomes BMW's only accessible actual sports car, or if its merely another luxury liner in an urban package.

That front fascia has a bit of the past in its one-piece headlights.
images - 2021-04-28T113006.114.jpeg
images - 2021-04-28T112850.952.jpeg

The 2 series is as close we'll get to the classic 2002 thru E30.

Appears to have very bulky wheel arches for what appears to be a non-M 2 Series (reminds me of the new Audi A3)

Last edited:
Return of the E36 M3 purple colour?

Apparently this was during a shoot for marketing material so it's possible the car pictured is Techno-violet via the BMW Individual option, which has been available subsequent to the E36.

Delete this thread. We're done here. The game is over. The jig is up. The fat lady has sung.

Somehow this thing looked better with the damn camouflage.

Last edited:
Yeah.... uh, what the hell is that?! Seems like BMW doing their interpretation of the A90 Supra rear end. They're killin' me. That's nearly what Nissan did, in ruining the rear of the Maxima:
1625558641586.png

Someone fell asleep designing the rear of the M2. Not only that, I think the same person left their triangle ruler in the bumper mould.

Back