BMW 2-Series & M2

Officially revealed. I do like the purple, but man...the rear end is too high. BMW's design has really lost it's identity.
2022-BMW-2-Series-Coupe-M240i-230i-3-1.jpg

2022-BMW-2-Series-Coupe-M240i-230i-2-1.jpg

2022-BMW-2-Series-Coupe-M240i-230i-24.jpg

2022-BMW-2-Series-Coupe-M240i-230i-60.jpg

2022-BMW-2-Series-Coupe-M240i-230i-54.jpg

2022-BMW-2-Series-Coupe-M240i-230i-39.jpg

Last edited:
The greenhouse looks a lot like the last generation 2-series coupe. When I saw the leaks I honestly thought it was a bad photoshop job.

The side profile in white really shows how awkward the rear end looks with the taillights.
2022-BMW-2-Series-Coupe-M240i-230i-53.jpg

Also ambient lighting is different.
2022-BMW-2-Series-Coupe-M240i-230i-45.jpg

I really hope the purple is a regular color that's offered and not an Individual paint. BMW's marketing has been showing off individual paints for some reveals lately and it's annoying knowing that those are $2k options. If it does come in purple as a regular option, I would...maybe consider it. Or at least tell a friend to get it in purple.

Last edited:
I don't get it. What are they doing here?

It reminds me a bit of the 1 series coupe, but with the terrible direction they took with the 2 series sedan on top.

This is disappointing as the 2 series coupe was their best design.

I'm not seeing the problem here, personally. The first shot on the last page just wasn't flattering.

The real shame is its transmission and electronics, naturally. Not that a thing can be done about it. Oh wait -- this is the 2-series...is that automatic-only now or not? I don't remember and quite honestly don't even care to check, the way things are. Meh.

I see it now. The rear end does look strange. The rear wheels look so small compared to the rest of the massive rear end. I never liked the 2-series, //M2 and this one is even worse.

I don't think the design overall is that bad, will need to see it in person before making a full judgment. I will say the long nose looks pretty good from the side view.

At this point, I'm just glad to see another compact RWD sports coupe on the market so I can forgive some of the awkward little details.

Shame the six pot is AwD only like the M340i.

Just saw a video of this on the official BMW YouTube channel and was shocked to see the rear end and facepalmed excessively as to why BMW go and ruin their designs. The BMW M2 & M2 CS are some of BMW best subtle designs to come out of stuttgart!

They had to go and ruin it, Whyyyyy!!!!!

Fail Tom Hiddleston GIF

Also frikking ugly colour combos.

Last edited:
😂

This nonsense over and over again just makes me wonder if the Supra is hideous and overstyled because BMW didn't even let Toyota do that much.
The Supra is gaudy and not pretty but it's appropriate. The essence of Supra is not some Germanic, elegant, classy car, it's supposed to be a ridiculous Japanese sports car. And it looks like a ridiculous Japanese sports car.

Problem is, this BMW also looks like a ridiculous Japanese sports car. It's not supposed to. It's unnecessarily fat, bulbous, blocky, looks like a damn SUV, and the headlights aren't even on the front of the car, they're on top and strung along the sides, the tail lights are 2002 Altezza style, there are triangles everywhere for who the hell knows what reason, and the purple one looks like it's wearing a gloss black skirt.

This thing makes the Supra look beautiful in comparison. The Supra is at least an appropriate design, this BMW looks like NFS Underground.

Last edited:
A brand new car and some idiot has already dinged the side of it. This is why we can't have nice things.
Good point. A lot of companies are focusing on surface contouring these days - Mazda probably the primary and best example - but BMW has made some serious errors in this department lately. Their surfaces and resulting shadows and highlights are horrible, like the car has been crashed.

Last edited:
The original 1-series coupe has such a unique profile. This one is just anonymous.

Here are some design sketches from early on

P90428644_highRes_the-all-new-bmw-2-se.jpg

P90428645_highRes_the-all-new-bmw-2-se.jpg

P90428656_highRes_the-all-new-bmw-2-se.jpg

P90428666_highRes_the-all-new-bmw-2-se.jpg

P90428665_highRes_the-all-new-bmw-2-se.jpg

This looks so strange.
Alright. The front tip is strange. I still don't see much else.

I like contemporary design a lot more than all the unfinished concept-car-looking things of the '00s and ugly uninterrupted stretches of painted bodywork. I like interruptions in the shape, like this and like the 1970s-1980s. BMW got a little weird about it in the '00s (again, unfinished concept-car-looking stuff) and other recent cars of theirs have been no better (looking at you, 3-series-under-the-stupid-unnecessary-wasted-name-of-4-series), but this is not offending me. It's not perfect or anything, either. It's just a contemporary car that suits me OK.

Again, not like companies and the federal regulations steering their choices are giving me any real reason to care.

IMHO way OTT but it at least its consistently angular. Mild facelift could improve it a lot. Also it is recognisable as BMW.

I love that colour and the front end looks great! The bottom of the front grille area looks a bit too fussy although I understand this may be required for various features and/or cooling. The side profile is pretty neat apart from the weird line behind the front wheels and how far the rear lights wrap around. The back is, as others have said, the worst part. It's too high with the lights fitted a little too low down.

Maybe they've learned from the previous gen cars suffering from exhaust valve rattles/failures and have made the gap below the rear bumper bigger so you can easily get underneath to replace them now?

Clever GIF by memecandy

Last edited:
When the best design in your current line-up looks like a half-assed Auto Bild render, you know something's amiss.

Another BMW, another really ugly hood shut line. The Silver & Orange concept sketches posted by @ProjectWHaT are very nice by contrast...I'm sure the marketing department dictated that the car needed more "brand face" or whatever.

This render with a shorter front end looks so much better. View attachment 1066301
This really shows how BMW absolutely ruined the surface contours of the new car. The last one was nice and smooth and muscular in the right places while the new one...honestly looks like it's been crashed. The various bulges and creases and resulting highlights and shadows are just nonsensical. There's no rhyme or reason to them. It is inexcusably ugly.

Except that Chevy concept actually looked nice. Smooth, muscular contours that actually make sense, similar to the previous M2.

Last edited:
This really shows how BMW absolutely ruined the surface contours of the new car. The last one was nice and smooth and muscular in the right places while the new one...honestly looks like it's been crashed. The various bulges and creases and resulting highlights and shadows are just nonsensical. There's no rhyme or reason to them. It is inexcusably ugly.

Except that Chevy concept actually looked nice. Smooth, muscular contours that actually make sense, similar to the previous M2.
That's what I meant with my 'Oh snap.".

Check the comments. Opinions are rolling in and they’re not stellar. 😂

Latest Posts

Back