BMW 2-Series & M2

That might be the ugliest thing I've ever laid eyes on.

When the "pig nose" debuted I wasn't a huge fan of it myself, but after seeing it in person I grew to quite like it. The new standard 2 looked awful in pictures, and awful in person. How has the M2 made it even worse?

There are some odd shapes going on with the rear bumper, but I don't think it looks bad. Only thing I will note is that the squared-off design makes it look a lot tamer compared to the F87, but I do like it a lot more compared to the current M3/M4.

Supposed leak from Bimmerpost.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Bimmerpost Thread
iU2qSHN7iThFjC6OULXTxSDLZdk=.gif

So they made the M2 have a design that looks a bit dumber and not more aggressive than the base version. The most aggressive part about it is how much the sides seem to stick past the center of the bumper. It's the M version of a bar of soap.

Could seriously stick a Dodge or MG badge on it, for a collaboration with BMW. Just redesign it for next year. Ruined a good line of cars.

The M240i looks better in the metal than in photos IMO but I can't see how this could be the same, the back end is absolutely atrocious. All of this news about the M2 is also not helping with my desire to upgrade to one (but definitely not this new model)

Last edited:
I don't think its been mentioned on this thread, but a kidney grill without vertical bars? - is this the first BMW with horizontal ones?

I don't think its been mentioned on this thread, but a kidney grill without vertical bars? - is this the first BMW with horizontal ones?
I believe it's the first time they've done horizontal bars like that. The F40 M135i xDrive technically doesn't have full vertical bars but it does have silver trim "dashes" that run vertically on top of the diamond shaped grille:

1664191206859.png

Last edited:
Those horizontal bars pale into insignificance compared to what house them. Easy to overlook.

edit Just been on BMW UK's site to check what else doesn't have vertical bars, the iX also has a diamond-shaped layout, but jesus h christ, that current line up has to be the ugliest range of cars ever. I know it's been said multiple times by many people in all the individual BMW threads here, but when you see them all together like that... :yuck:

They really need to get their act together stylistically.

Last edited:
Those horizontal bars pale into insignificance compared to what house them. Easy to overlook.
I assumed you weren't talking about the Bugs Bunny teeth as kidney grilles.

Although I guess they're actually the most kidney-like of all.

edit Just been on BMW UK's site to check what else doesn't have vertical bars, the iX also has a diamond-shaped layout
XM being unveiled shortly will have horizontal bars, as will (I believe) the X5M and X6M LCI models, it's largely becoming an M styling tait.

The pattern on the iX and the texture affair on the i4 & iX3 look pretty bad, but the i7's faux grille looks alright.

Honestly, it reminds of something from a PS1 game upscaled (or in this case, real). Think something along the lines of looking at a GT2 car model in a 3D object viewer. Just the way the bumpers are boxy and defined, yet also abruptly stop.

Last edited:
I think it doesn't look too bad really. The front especially is giving me a slight Toyota Altezza RS200 Z edition vibes. I definitely prefer it to BMW's buck teeth grill and silly looking chin guffaw, we've seen for years now. I quite like the boxy looking rear treatment too, but it doesn't mix well with the curvature going on above the rear lights (just before it reaches the edges of the boot).

Last edited:
This is a strange one. Normally BMW goes overboard with the amount of articulation/fussiness of their front fascia in particular - they always (E92 onwards) look super intricate and finely detailed. This is like a B-tier aftermarket body kit (like Wings West or something circa 2005) in how blunt, unrefined and, dare I say it, hobbyist the shapes are. I can't say I hate it, but it does not appear up to the design refinement standards I would expect from BMW.

This is a strange one. Normally BMW goes overboard with the amount of articulation/fussiness of their front fascia in particular - they always (E92 onwards) look super intricate and finely detailed. This is like a B-tier aftermarket body kit (like Wings West or something circa 2005) in how blunt, unrefined and, dare I say it, hobbyist the shapes are. I can't say I hate it, but it does not appear up to the design refinement standards I would expect from BMW.

Yes, it looks like a design you might see in NFS. They had a tough act to follow. The previous 2 series coupe was a great design.

Then again they did the 4 series coupe, so maybe this looks alright after all.:lol:

Sweet Christ it's wearing a fiberglass bodykit from Ebay. I feel like I'm living in an alternate reality.

a18337ea7df74e77800cbd4744707ec4.jpg

Last edited:
I did a quick mock-up of a different front end in Paint.net (I miss Photoshop...), I think this looks way better but then I'm not a professional car designer.
EDIT: Had a quick go at the rear too but there's only so much you can do with it

bmw_m2_wider.jpg

bmw_m2_adjusted_rear.jpg

Last edited:
Could seriously stick a Dodge or MG badge on it, for a collaboration with BMW. Just redesign it for next year. Ruined a good line of cars.
Dodge was my first thought as well. It looks like the bottom half of a DaimlerChrysler-era Dodge front end; especially when combined with the Tonka truck chonky styling elsewhere.

Last edited:
I did a quick mock-up of a different front end in Paint.net (I miss Photoshop...), I think this looks way better but then I'm not a professional car designer.
EDIT: Had a quick go at the rear too but there's only so much you can do with it

View attachment 1195704

View attachment 1195707
That looks like a massive improvement and fixes the rectangles everywhere issue.

That rectangular cutout they have on the bottom of the rear looks atrocious.

Edit: Just noticed the vertical bars. I think it's better this way.

Last edited:
The back bumper makes it look like a poorly designed Hot wheels toy...are they trying to appeal to 12yr olds? :banghead:

It’s a weird design language. This is an opportunity to do their square thing like their other cars in the BMW stable. I mean, it can go back to an evolution of a CSL or E36 coupe. The upright look of the car is there. Copy the taillights from the M4 Or make them completely round like a 2002.
Probably the color Choice is making the whole car look worse than it is. That earlier deep purple version might have been better.

Probably the color Choice is making the whole car look worse than it is. That earlier deep purple version might have been better.
Yeah, that's what I thought too. The color makes it look like it was vandalized by the Hyundai N division lol

Last edited:
Yeah, that powder blue (or whatever it's called) colour isn't doing it any favours really. If i could make one change it would be for the vertical kidney grill inserts, like @Moglet has done on his rough mock-up. TBH though it's not a deal breaker for me. I'm just glad their stylists have ditched their daft looking lower grill shapes and appendages. The rear looks fine to me also, i really do like the shapes going on there, but like @05XR8 has said, i too wouldn't mind if they gave it round tail lights like a 2002. It also doesn't help that some people are unable to visualise beyond the rather one dimensional angle, of the leaked images that are presented to them.

I find it quite funny how the design is receiving so much hate and disgust over here, and over on Bimmerpost too. If anything it kind of makes me like the design even more, as this (for me) is way better than anything BMW have done in a long while (IMHO).

Last edited:
Back