BMW 8 Series Return

• Thread starter lxmmy
  • 239 comments
Those are some big, shiney kidneys! Hard to still get a full judgement of the car, but I like what I see so far.

Not looking too bad so far from what we can see. Just hope it adheres to the original concept design as much as possible, as that is a stunning vision of how it should look IMO. And so far so good it'd seem.

I simply don't see it as a worthy successor to a pillarless, pop-up headlamp coupe. It just looks like any other BMW coupe of the last few years. You couldn't say that about the original.

Upon closer inspection I have noticed the black plastic-looking material making up the rear's lower middle section. Still too bulky and busy from that angle. :indiff:

Overall, the car looks great but I agree that the rear is a bit too busy. Especially the side vents on the rear bumper seem kinda outta place.

BMW M8 Gran Coupe concept
bmw-concept-m8-gc-geneva-14.jpg
bmw-concept-m8-gc-geneva-15.jpg
bmw-concept-m8-gc-geneva-16.jpg

I wonder how long it will be before these 4-door coupes totally replace the similarly sized 4-door saloons. The 7-series in this case. I'd have thought that between the 4-door coupes and the SUV's of similar sizes, the market for 'regular' 4-doors are diminishing.

I wonder how long it will be before these 4-door coupes totally replace the similarly sized 4-door saloons. The 7-series in this case. I'd have thought that between the 4-door coupes and the SUV's of similar sizes, the market for 'regular' 4-doors are diminishing.

I think it's been proven that the market for saloons is beginning to suffer in favour of SUV's. 4 door coupes, or at least BMW's Gran Coupes, didn't seem to hit saloon volumes as much. Largely, I guess because the presence of more hum-drum saloons justifies a part of the higher price for the more desirable products.... and once you start sticking 4 cylinder tax friendly engines in something like the 8GC ... it might start to loose its appeal.

I really like the rear end but i feel like the front could use some slightly smaller intake holes..?

What. The. Fudge. What is that monstrous thing?!?! No, don't tell me...I don't want to know. My poor eyes. Why would you post such a heinous photo on a family friendly website? Think of the children...Oh, the nightmares they'll be having. You know that feeling you get, when you're mouth really starts to water up because you're about to ... you know...? I glanced at the image a second time and that's immediately what happened to me. I can't unsee it. :banghead: Why? WHY? WHY?!?!

Am I the only one who hates the whole "Gran Coupe" thing BMW does? I didn't mind it on the 6 series, but I don't really get the whole point of splitting the 3 series between the 4 series being the coupe and the 3 series being the sedan, then only to introduce the 4 series "Gran Coupe" which is just a 4 door 4 series, which wasn't that the whole point of separating them?

All in all, not a fan of any of the Gran Coupes compared to their 2 door counterparts.

Am I the only one who hates the whole "Gran Coupe" thing BMW does?
Nope. I loathe it.

To be honest, I wasn't a fan of them producing a 4 series either, especially since that meant there was going to be an M3 and an M4. To me, the designation M3 was holy and it didn't matter if it were 2 door or 4 door. I mean, BMW got along just fine for how many years before making that change? I was fine with the 6 series coming back. But that's because it was "coming back". It wasn't something new thrown together to make higher number cars. And BMW proved it was the right thing to do. The 6-series is so successful...oh wait. They already stopped making 'em.

BMW M8 Gran Coupe concept
bmw-concept-m8-gc-geneva-14.jpg
bmw-concept-m8-gc-geneva-15.jpg
bmw-concept-m8-gc-geneva-16.jpg

Well, I must admit, that's a fantastic looking brute :eek:. I was anxious when BMW announced the 8-series was coming back, especially given how recent BMW's are really lacking in the styling department (3 and 5 Series, I'm looking at you...), but by the looks of thinks there keeping it clean and stylish, channeling what makes the original 8-Series one of the best Beemers IMO.

Nope. I loathe it.

To be honest, I wasn't a fan of them producing a 4 series either, especially since that meant there was going to be an M3 and an M4. To me, the designation M3 was holy and it didn't matter if it were 2 door or 4 door. I mean, BMW got along just fine for how many years before making that change? I was fine with the 6 series coming back. But that's because it was "coming back". It wasn't something new thrown together to make higher number cars. And BMW proved it was the right thing to do. The 6-series is so successful...oh wait. They already stopped making 'em.

Yeah that’s a whole other thing! I thought the reason to split the 3 series up was so then the even number series were 2 door coupe styles and the odd would be sedans, but that turned out to be a huge oversimplification.

I actually hadn’t even known they stopped making the 6 series coupe, but now the new generation of the 6 series is just the replacement for the 5 series GT? So it’s a big 4 door sedan, what’s the point of having it have its own series designation for essentially 1 model that serves such a small purpose?! The Gran Turismo name couldn’t serve the same purpose on the 5 series anymore?

It seems BMW took a number right from Kaz when it comes to boosting car count:lol:

I love, Love, LOVE the 8 series of old and the new one is shaping up to be awesome as well. Still wish they’d just leave it as a coupe though instead of this whole nonsense with 4 doors:rolleyes:

Edit: Also I think it’s only a matter of time now that the old 8 series will begin to sky rocket in prices. Which is a shame because I had always wanted to pick one up and only a few years ago you could get a good 850 for under $10k. Now it’s hard to find one with under 100k miles under $15k and they’ll only go up as the new ones hit the street.

They could call it the BMW Poop Blanket and it would still be the most magnificent, stunning car they've made in the past 10 years. Whether or not you like the idea of Gran Coupe, this car is the zenith of this era of design for the company. Out-freaking-standing.

02-bmw-m8-gran-coupe-concept-geneva-1.jpg

01-bmw-m8-gran-coupe-concept-geneva-1.jpg

07-bmw-m8-gran-coupe-concept-geneva-1.jpg

That is the toughest car to come out since the original V8 Vantage. U WOT M8?

I must admit that I have a soft spot for BMW and seeing the pics of this car was a bit of a "wow" moment for me.

Overall it's a very nice design and I love the paintwork as green is a favourite colour of mine, will be interesting to
see the real car when the production models come out.

Back