BMW Shoots for the Sky with the New F10

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 208 comments
  • 34,762 views

Do you like the rendering??

  • Yes

    Votes: 65 63.7%
  • No

    Votes: 37 36.3%

  • Total voters
    102
I had a dream that I was watching a clip of Clarkson rant and rave about how we can forget about the 458, the F10 is the best car he has ever driven.

Not really sure where that came form, because I don't follow BMW and can't think of any reason why that would be in my subconcious.
 
I had a dream that I was watching a clip of Clarkson rant and rave about how we can forget about the 458, the F10 is the best car he has ever driven.

Not really sure where that came form, because I don't follow BMW and can't think of any reason why that would be in my subconcious.

:lol: at that^ I see the new 5-Series like this: it's in too big of a class to be loved by everybody.
 
A very short video of the F10 M5 powersliding on wet Nordschleife. Not sure which turn that is...

 
Thread revival.. Yes. Sorry.

But I just loooove this looks!

BMW-M5-F10-Renderings-Duron-03.jpg


BMW-M5-F10-Renderings-Duron-06.jpg


BMW-M5-F10-Renderings-Duron-10.jpg
 
Ok exterior, I specifically like the rear panel, don't like as much the front light. Beautiful interior except for the plain air dams. Its handling must be a beast though.

What does F10 stand for? Fidelio 10 cylinders?
 
Last edited:
Ok exterior, I specifically like the rear panel, don't like as much the front light. Beautiful interior except for the plain air dams. Its handling must be a beast though.

What does F10 stand for? Fidelio 10 cylinders?

BMW models were usually named EXX, like E30 for the old 3 series, E60 for this just passed 5 series and E90 for the current 4 door 3 series. As you can tell a big jump from 60 to 90 means they needed a new letter. Atleast thats my guess.
 
That thing looks pretty awesome. It needs smaller wheels though.
 
Man, that M5 looks awesome.:drool:
 
Does anyone else think those new tail-lights don't look very BMW? They overdid the lightpipe thing.
 
What does F10 stand for? Fidelio 10 cylinders?

Wikipedia
Internally, BMW associates an "e-code" for each generation of a series ("E" stands for Entwicklung, German for development or evolution). These "chassis codes" only change to signify a major redesign of a series, or the introduction of a new series. BMW AG reported in September 2006 that BMW will switch to the letter "F" for their future models, beginning with the F01 7 Series replacement.

But I have no idea what ''F'' means... Could stand for ''Future'' but then in German Future is ''Zukunt''.

Does anyone else think those new tail-lights don't look very BMW? They overdid the lightpipe thing.

In my opinion they do look great! I can't think of any other cars that have that sort of tail lights. At least I think it's better than just having a normal bunch of LEDs in the light...
 
They look like they belong on a Nissan though.
 
Gorgeous. Makes the E90 M5 look pretty frumpy, and I LIKE the E90.

E90 M5? I think you were trying to say an E90 M3? Or the E60 M5?
 
Maybe F for "Fortschritt" which would mean nearly the same as "Entwicklung".
 
Or it could be that F follows E in the alphabet?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the real thing get unveiled :D
 
Some important things to mention:

  • BMW will debut the new M5 in a concept form at the Geneva Motor Show in March 2011.
  • The world premiere of the production version will be at Frankfurt show in September.
  • The next generation 2012 BMW M5 will be powered by a V8 turbocharged engine based on the same unit found in the BMW X5 M and X6M, the twin scroll twin turbo version of the N63, known as the S63.
  • The 4.4-liter V8 twin-scroll powerplant will peak at 578-horsepower and 530 lb-ft of torque.
  • The 0-62 mph dash should take about 4.4 seconds, even though I'm expecting to see lower times once driven.
  • Matted to a dual clutch transmission based upon the 7-Speed transmission currently found in the M3. Rumor is that an 8-speed unit will also be available and will be equipped with a Stop-Start control. The DCT will be operated with steering wheel mounted shifting paddles.
  • Extensive use of carbon-fiber and aluminum parts. Weight should be about the same as the E60 M5.

[Infos are from BMWBLOG.COM]
 
Those artist concept renderings are gorgeous. I'm really excited for the F10 M5 and see what crazy kinds of power they will put in it now.

Even better though, E39 M5 prices will hopefully drop even further once the F10 M5 gets revealed/introduced.
 
Even better though, E39 M5 prices will hopefully drop even further once the F10 M5 gets revealed/introduced.

It will mate. The price for an E39 M5 used currently here in Malaysia only cost MYR150-200k. The most shocking is the E60 M5. Most of them are from 2005 to 2007, you bought the car for MYR900k and the used car value is MYR500k! That's almost half price! :crazy:
 
An E39 would be my choice, too. It's just that kind of car that fits in that V8 Supercars category. If only the Aussies allowed different makes...
 
Not much of an info, but Dr. Kay Segler confirmed that there will be a Ceramic Brakes available for the F10 M5, but no confirmation on whether it will be an option or standard...

EDIT: A little more, it is also confirmed that the KERS system will be ruled out for the F10 because of the extra weight.
 
Last edited:
There are a bunch of renderings over on the M5Board that look pretty good. If the real one looks anything like the renderings, then it should be quite a looker with just the right amount of aggressiveness.

The F10 M5 Concept should debut in Geneva in March. I'm really excited.
 
Indeed there are bunch of them in the M5Board. If I can recall, there are 2 versions of it. First is the one with the same diffuser that you can find in the latest rendering I posted here, and second is the one that looks a little bit like the E60. I however, cannot tell which one might be it but I really am falling in love with it!

I won't post the rest of the renderings because they don't seem to differ much. With March isn't that far away, there could be more new renderings to come that might even look the closest to the real thing.
 
Renderings look pretty accurate given the spy shots I've seen in the car mags... though the wheels look a little big... I think I read the new M5 will have 19's, and given how big the 5 series is, the wheels on the rendering look bigger than that!
 
Rumor that the F10 M5 will be offered as an automatic only

Oh say it ain't so.

Motor Trend is reporting/rumoring that the next M5 will be offered as an slushbox automatic only because the BMW DCT transmission is unable to cope with the torque that the M5 will develop. Apparently, there's no real torque numbers yet though. Sure, I'll admit that an automatic might be as fast as the DCT, but an automatic M5 just seems wrong.

I feel that the M division is moving further and further away from their motorsports heritage. Granted, some purist will argue that M deviated from that heritage as soon as they started building the M5, but for a long time, it seemed to strike a balance between a comfortable people carrier and a sporty car that you can also take to the track and have a reasonably good time. If the new M5 is only offered as an automatic, I feel that BMW and M are tracking more and more towards the M5 being a good, comfortable luxury cruiser, but just with a large, powerful engine.

I hope this rumor isn't true, but if the M5 will be automatic only, I see no point for someone to buy the M5 over an AMG.
 
Rumor that the F10 M5 will be offered as an automatic only

Oh say it ain't so.

Motor Trend is reporting/rumoring that the next M5 will be offered as an slushbox automatic only because the BMW DCT transmission is unable to cope with the torque that the M5 will develop. Apparently, there's no real torque numbers yet though. Sure, I'll admit that an automatic might be as fast as the DCT, but an automatic M5 just seems wrong.

I feel that the M division is moving further and further away from their motorsports heritage. Granted, some purist will argue that M deviated from that heritage as soon as they started building the M5, but for a long time, it seemed to strike a balance between a comfortable people carrier and a sporty car that you can also take to the track and have a reasonably good time. If the new M5 is only offered as an automatic, I feel that BMW and M are tracking more and more towards the M5 being a good, comfortable luxury cruiser, but just with a large, powerful engine.

I hope this rumor isn't true, but if the M5 will be automatic only, I see no point for someone to buy the M5 over an AMG.

^This

A car that's not available with manual transmission (or atleast semi-auto) is not worthwile at all:yuck:

Please don't let this rumour be true, Inshallah:nervous:
 
Meh, can't see BMW releasing an M model with a slushbox.
 
There may be some other factors that prevent BMW from putting in a stick in the F10. Obviously they should know about this already... Automatic or not, still that M5 is going to be a very fast car.

EDIT: But but but.. Still the M5 has got some advantages than the E63 AMG :p
 
Oh god, they're turning into Mercedes. :scared:
 
Confirmed by Chris Harris from EVO Magazine that the car will be equiped with the 7-Speed DCT!



And already quite a positive view from him. Take note that this is just the pre-production car - more stuff to come.
 
Back