Boffin's photography gallery - Hello again, old friend(s)

• Thread starter Boffin
  • 293 comments
Wowser - I'll blow the dust off this album, and inject it with a bit of Christmas cheer.

Was bumming round with the Christmas tree last night. No lights except those off the tree, and no tripod. While the sharpness isn't on par, I think the colours are excellent. The Christmas tree is very impartant in our family. A real one, and we all decorate it together, so much memories and tradition is involved, which I love. The tree is a leviathon this year. About 2.5 tall (disc. stand) and its much denser than usual - with a great shape.

Not much to show, and I simply don't know why I haven't put more stuff up!!!

Here are the shots.

Heh. Yes, Happy belated Christmas to you. I didn't have very time to wish people Christmas on here because we had Christmas at our house, and these things are big in my family: weeks or preparation. I didn't have a particularly good time, and for no discernible reason, feel miserable and overwhelmingly tired today.

I read about your celebration in the Christmas thread, I'm glad you had a good Christmas. It sounds genuinely magical. Anyone in your family looking to adopt a full grown child?

----

You're right about the colours. There is an authentic warmth to them. It makes a lovely feeling, which I subsequently envy quite a bit.

------------------

Also, I got a December round offer (there's no official December round offer - they start in January, so the uni snapped me up quick) into CSU doing a BA of Photography, which I'm wrapped about. The phone interview couldn't have gone worse, so I'm flattered that they saw past that and hand picked me before my results came out by looking at the portfolio. I think thats the best bit, they chose me without knowing what mark I'd get. Anyways - starting in March, looking foreward to it. :D Was good too - because that course was my first preferance.

That sounds great, you have great talent. I'm glad you'll get the chance to develop that talent formally. And also maybe develop to the point where you finally think you tower above me. You do now, but I hoping you will eventually see it for yourself.

Congrats on the post uni acceptance 👍 that's great news.

Now to the shots. The first one is great. Love the warm tones and the wooden decorations remind me of when I was a kid and I'd go visit my Grandparents for Christmas back in Europe. They had wooden toys on the tree, you'd have a fire burning away in the fireplace whilst it snowed outside. The shot certainly has the Christmas feel to it.

The second shot lacks focus for me. I think it's the dark patch the obscures part of the decoration which takes the focus away from the decoration itself.

Cheers guys

Wow - I REALLY have to update more often. o.0. These are some of the rejects that I have looked at using for APCs. Some of them were close seconds, some of them I was just playing with them. I figured I'd give them some coverage. Enjoy :D

Evo750.jpg

Roller750.jpg

import750.jpg

RB26750.jpg

Alfa750.jpg

afla750.jpg

daytrippin092750.jpg

abstract2750.jpg

Mm. Great update as always. I have some rejects from the competitions too: I should post them sometime...

Favourites: 3, 6 and 7.

That drift shot is very well done. Just...awesome in every way. The way the wheels are lit, as well the body - just perfect.

I really like how the Alfa Pedals are composed in the frame - you can tell thought went into it. And the PP accentuates it well.

Unusual centre-weighted shot, and yet it totally works. The garages behind really work wonders on it. The fact that they're similar, yet they are different, really help.

And the "Alfa Romeo" writing is not something you should look at late at night, it hurt my eyes. :lol: So...much...repeating...pattern...

Keep up the great work. ^^

Thanks mate 👍

The centre weighted shot is actually of my mates car. You may see another shot popping up in this weeks APC. :embarrassed:

Stunning photos as always dude 👍

My favourite by a long way is the shot of the Alfa pedals though. Beautifully composed, and I love the lack of colour, essentially just reds and different shades of black.

Nice shot of the BMW Compact, too. I remember your mate as the one in the Alfa Romeo discussion a while back? It's a very clean E36 that one, and the wheels really suit it. Part of me still really wants a Compact...

Very cool. I love the two Alfa shots in particular. The pp has a great vintage feel to it as well. 👍

Love the AR and 'outlaw' shots. 👍

Thanks. The Outlaw car was amazing. It was an Original 356 that had been really tastefully done up. Truly epic car, and I may post a photo of it - but it could get me in trouble.

My favourite by a long way is the shot of the Alfa pedals though. Beautifully composed, and I love the lack of colour, essentially just reds and different shades of black.

Nice shot of the BMW Compact, too. I remember your mate as the one in the Alfa Romeo discussion a while back? It's a very clean E36 that one, and the wheels really suit it. Part of me still really wants a Compact...

Cheers mate.

The Alfa's were at an Australia day (dw - its big here) car show - with some seriously nice alfas. I actually thought of that thread while I was looking over 1300s 1750s, 2 Giulia Supers (both slightly peppered), a Montreal, a TZ-1 etc etc etc etc, and some ......19...er....20s, 30s (?) open wheelers, where I stumbled upon the pedals. I thought they were an amazing touch and I had to snap them.

As for the BB (thats BMW's name - stands for Beautiful Bimmer and Balmorral Bandit amongst other things), clean is just the start of it. As I was recently shooting this car again, Mete001 spotted a finger print on the passenger window from literally 40m away. Concourse condition is literally what it is. I think a bit too far, as it is only his first car, but I guess you have to keep up appearances and it would be a shame to ruin such a nice car. Although we have had dicussions on fitting some BMW suited BBS wheels ala tasteful modified E30 style, or some off the E36 M3.

Very cool. I love the two Alfa shots in particular. The pp has a great vintage feel to it as well. 👍

Cheers mate - its what I was going for, so thankfully it was taken that way. :P

nice shot and composition for the Rolls
nice shot of the Skyline Engine
nice shot of the Bmw (here is mine ;) )
VERY NICE SHOT OF both the Alfa Romeo parts ;)

Just like HFS said, I love the Alfa Pedals shot the most!! Great Great Catch!

Congrats on the beautiful work 👍

Last edited:
Thanks! For some reason those two edited versions of the Alfa shots aren't on the laptop - which is a shame because only now do I reaaaaallly want them as a wallpaper lol.

And cheers also for reminding me about this thread (er....yeah - sorry about that) - an update shall be coming soon. :D

Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhh! I have been under SO much work in the last week - only slept in my own bed about twice for a sum total of 7 hours or something. Then I finish all work today, have a nap, and have nothing to do the next week apart from watch the Le Mans, so things WILL come up. Probably.

And if they don't, feel free to keep prodding me. :P 👍

HOLY HELL! Seeing as I am a photography student, I should really update this place more often. Just one from me for now, but I hope they'll be flowing thick and fast from here on.

This was taken while out walking on saturday. I don't know why the quality is so bad, unless photobucket got worse since the last time I used it...

2750.jpg

Lovely shot, really digging the tones and the composition. 👍 Also, I find that Flickr is of much better image hosting site, Photobucket tends to compress a little bit too much.

Pretty much agree with Adam. Very nice shot. 👍

And I also concur on Flickr being much better. I was a photobucket/imageshack user for a number of years but since giving Flickr a go I never bother with the others anymore.

Where was the shot taken by the way?

HOLY HELL! Seeing as I am a photography student, I should really update this place more often.

You'd think that's how it works don't you, but then you find no time to actually update your stuff :lol: I'm in the same boat.

Anyway nice shot, I dig the composition.

You'd think that's how it works don't you, but then you find no time to actually update your stuff :lol: I'm in the same boat.

Heey, I'm a art student too and I find time :P

Although I have no social life but shhh.

Lovely shot, really digging the tones and the composition. 👍 Also, I find that Flickr is of much better image hosting site, Photobucket tends to compress a little bit too much.

GPR
Pretty much agree with Adam. Very nice shot. 👍

And I also concur on Flickr being much better. I was a photobucket/imageshack user for a number of years but since giving Flickr a go I never bother with the others anymore.

Where was the shot taken by the way?

Cheers mate. Ummm the shot was taken at Leura Cascades in the Blue Mountains.

Anyway nice shot, I dig the composition.

Cheers man 👍 Yeah. D'you live on campus? Soooo many distractions, its basically a partay 24/7.

Heey, I'm a art student too and I find time :P

Although I have no social life but shhh.

Hahaha and herein lies the difference. :P I think one needs a healthy balance of social and work focus at uni.

Do you live on or off campus?

Hahaha and herein lies the difference. :P I think one needs a healthy balance of social and work focus at uni.

Do you live on or off campus?

I'm actually at college instead of uni, so I still live at home. Which is probably why I still have time to do things. :dopey:

I'm also only at college but for some unexplainable reason I never chance to sort my work out : sigh:

Lets keep it that way, now that I have started updating, I don't want to be upstaged lol. :P

Finally some photos! This shot is awesome.

Cheers mate :)

------------

Here is one of my photography assessments. We had to photograph homonyms, basically two words that sound the same with different meanings. I'll post up the rationale needed with it too. People get an E-cookie for each picture if they guess correctly the homonym. I decided to stray mostly from the mainstream (no sea/see) and while one is obvious, I think the others may be difficult to get.

"Food for thought.

My first thought of homonyms is that there were about 5 of them all up that anyone would ever actually see in everyday life. After further consideration, it occurred to me that there are actually rather a lot, so I decided to focus my work on one area. Food. Just while lazily having lunch, my mind sparked and I realised sometimes that what I was looking at was, in fact, something needed for this assessment. Moments of elation were had - something much needed to get me through the second half of the day - and it lead me to a rather obvious conclusion. Food, in the end, is really the only food for thought."

Homonyms1.jpg

Homonyms2.jpg

Homonyms3.jpg

Last edited:
Man other than the first the other 2 are hard. To me anyway.

First one is pair/pear

Second very tricky but all I came up with was bean/been, probably wrong.

Third, I have no idea.

This is going to bug me all day now, I'll have another crack it later just for the fun of it.

GPR
Man other than the first the other 2 are hard. To me anyway.

First one is pair/pear

Second very tricky but all I came up with was bean/been, probably wrong.

Third, I have no idea.

This is going to bug me all day now, I'll have another crack it later just for the fun of it.

Zomg you actually got the second one right! When I asked my class, all they said was tin and tin, which makes me think I'm working with idiots.

Other people also made homonyms like glasses and glasses....but...like....what is in a pair of glasses to make them called glasses? :irked:

As for the third, I shall give you a hint.

Think of how many are in a pack of tim tams...

Aha! well I haven't eaten tim tams in ages so I wouldn't have considered the amount in a pack, so with that in mind I'm going to guess it's ate/eight as there is 3 left. :D If so then very clever mate.

GPR
Aha! well I haven't eaten tim tams in ages so I wouldn't have considered the amount in a pack, so with that in mind I'm going to guess it's ate/eight as there is 3 left. :D If so then very clever mate.

This man's on fire!

Have yourself some cookies. :D 👍

Back