Boffin's photography gallery - Hello again, old friend(s)

• Thread starter Boffin
  • 293 comments
Been a while!

Think I posted this in the Amazing and Cool picture thread. It's a bubble. Rather annoying to shoot but had a group of friends and so it was a right laugh in the end. The project was descriptive vs. interpretive, and this was the interpretive to a descriptive studio shot of my ipod, saying it puts me in my own little bubble.

Well worth the effort put into it 👍 It's a pity shots like that aren't easier, as bubbles are one of those things you feel you must photograph whenever they're around... a bit like oil drops in puddles, but those are easier to chase...

Playing around with sparkers.

Enjoyed this too. Somehow looks dynamic even though it's a still image.

I have been experimenting with film recently as part of my apparent hipster movement, mainly with a Holga. For those who don't know, a very, very, .....very low end camera (we're talking manual winders, rubbish lens, a body that isn't exactly light tight, two aperture and shutter settings) but the interesting thing about it is that it runs with medium format 120 film which is generally used in higher end film cameras due to the higher potential for better clarity and less shots per roll. Holgas have a distinctive look about their photos - vignetting, blurriness around the edge, discolourisation, etc. So far I have developed 2 rolls off it (with one roll consisting of 12 shots) and have got back about 20/24 decent shots, so I am rather pleased with how things are going. I have decided to throw up a small set took when I went out for a wander around my little home town of Manly. Compostition is an issue as the rule of 3rds doesnt really apply because of the blurriness, so it was a challenge to adapt. Enjoy!

Really enjoyed those 👍

Keep considering a Holga myself, but I'm put off by a few things.

One is that I'm much better at documentary photography than I am being creative - i.e. I have a better knack for stuff like motorsport or car shows than I do taking pictures of buildings, trees, people and anything else that needs a creative eye for composition, so I'm not sure I could do the images justice.

The second is that bright, sunny days are so infrequent in the UK that all the images would come out a bit washed-out, I fear. The desaturated look is great when it's sunny and the world is bright and colourful, but when the world is already desaturated I think the shots would lack personality.

Glad someone is getting the most from their Holga though. My favourite shot is the second, looking back over the shore.

Been a while!

Aye, but you didn't miss much. :P

Well worth the effort put into it 👍 It's a pity shots like that aren't easier, as bubbles are one of those things you feel you must photograph whenever they're around... a bit like oil drops in puddles, but those are easier to chase...

Thanks! I am sure I have explained it on these boards before but the combination of autofocus having none of it in the pitch black, running through uneven ground while looking solely through the viewfinder and barking orders at friends who didn't entirely know the ins and outs of the proper uses of a reflector made it a challenge, but the whole night was a right laugh. :)

Enjoyed this too. Somehow looks dynamic even though it's a still image.

Cheers :)

Really enjoyed those 👍

Keep considering a Holga myself, but I'm put off by a few things.

One is that I'm much better at documentary photography than I am being creative - i.e. I have a better knack for stuff like motorsport or car shows than I do taking pictures of buildings, trees, people and anything else that needs a creative eye for composition, so I'm not sure I could do the images justice.

See, I have had trouble trying to figure out how the hell I am supposed to compose my images. As I have said, the fact that its a holga and there is a lot of blurring and vignetting around the edges which means rules of thirds and basic geometric aesthetics don't really apply, or at least they do, but in a different way. I wouldn't think missing a knack for artistic flair (which, by the way I disagree remembering some of your competition entries) should be a reason to pass it up. There's only one way you are going to gain more. ;)

The second is that bright, sunny days are so infrequent in the UK that all the images would come out a bit washed-out, I fear. The desaturated look is great when it's sunny and the world is bright and colourful, but when the world is already desaturated I think the shots would lack personality.

Some professionals put a lot of focus on a higher ISO B&W film for use in these cases and if you look through the lomography website and the like, some of the results are astounding. The Holga should never be seen as a seasonal camera! :P

Glad someone is getting the most from their Holga though. My favourite shot is the second, looking back over the shore.

Thanks! And thanks for dropping by. :D

See, I have had trouble trying to figure out how the hell I am supposed to compose my images. As I have said, the fact that its a holga and there is a lot of blurring and vignetting around the edges which means rules of thirds and basic geometric aesthetics don't really apply, or at least they do, but in a different way.

I can imagine it's difficult, personally since I started using an SLR I've found any camera that doesn't have a true image through the viewfinder difficult to use. In fact, I remember hating it as a kid, lining up a perfect shot in a point & shoot only to get the pictures back to find everything off-centre...

That said, I'm sure I could get used to it nowadays.

I wouldn't think missing a knack for artistic flair (which, by the way I disagree remembering some of your competition entries) should be a reason to pass it up. There's only one way you are going to gain more. ;)

True. And thanks for the compliment :P I find being artistic around cars a lot easier than anything else though, which is why some of my competition entries were okay. Or, just a result of that lucky shot, which I think I prefer. I enjoy the technique involved in shooting cars, but I love getting those lucky shots too - the flame-spitting ones, or whatever.

There's not as much luck in landscapes or street photography, I reckon. You just need a better eye for composition... and I don't really have that.

Some professionals put a lot of focus on a higher ISO B&W film for use in these cases and if you look through the lomography website and the like, some of the results are astounding. The Holga should never be seen as a seasonal camera! :P

It does suit summery shoots though. I think I'll stick with the hipster apps on my iPhone for the time being... and honestly, I've spent as much time taking photos of cars and the moon on my iPhone as I did on my SLR... still no people, landscapes or other stuff like that here!

Excuse the not-as-good-as-could-be quality, uploaded with facebook, boiiiii.

425416_10150694419831858_496751067_n.jpg

Last edited:
So my uni's home town of Wagga Wagga is flooded pretty seriously. Took a pic from the top of the hill the uni is perched on:​

flood1.jpg

Unfortunate event but a fantastic photo 👍

Thankfully no-one died in the town so its just a loss of buisness I think. Still its an amazing about of water. Levels rose to 10.6m or so. Crazy.

Thanks! 👍 I didn't find it a very succesful shot but someone told me they preferred it over my exhibition shot from last year (couple of pages back) so I decided to throw it up here. :)

Really like the second shot. 👍 Nice contrast from the black and white. Whats the story behind those bird cages though?

Thanks! :)

Birdcages are part of some installation talking about how birds were once flying around in the air and it doesn't happen so much anymore....or at least that's the general jist I think.

Thanks! 👍 I didn't find it a very succesful shot but someone told me they preferred it over my exhibition shot from last year (couple of pages back) so I decided to throw it up here. :)

That shot of the flooding is fantastic. I'd hang it on my walls if the chance came up.

Exams are looming, which is why a build up of shots have been busting to be let out, but they can't because I'm too busy to open the gates. However, 4 cheeky shots managed to escape out of the processing factory, so here they are. There's two each from a couple of outings I intend to upload later. Schools done, the exams are almost done and then after, I got nothin' but time.

F40-1.jpg

Ferrari250-1.jpg

ToyotaCorolla-1.jpg

Driftin-1.jpg

They are a bit blurrey, I only had time to resize in photobucket which, quite frankly, is 🤬

If anyone is feeling a bit light in the head and would like a selection of these photo's made into a 2010 calender, hit me up with a PM with what you'd like. Money is involved as it will run through the previously mentioned site.​

Hey dude what kind of ferarri is that? (The blue one), and also I'm interested in a calender, but a 2013 calender.

That shot of the flooding is fantastic. I'd hang it on my walls if the chance came up.

The second shot is great, one thing though: get closer! :D

Hey dude what kind of ferarri is that? (The blue one), and also I'm interested in a calender, but a 2013 calender.

oh 🤬 YES! Awesome timing. The whole picture is made by the guy putting on his jacket.

Super awesome shots in this thread :bowdown:

Pure awesomeness

Also really like this shot. Film looks like a lot of fun :D May have to try it at some point.

Heavens! Comments! Thanks all very much :D Not sure what Ferrari that is, and I will see what can be done about a calendar but I don't shoot as many cars these days so I am not sure what it'd be like.

-----------------------------------------------------------

ANYWAYS! UPTADE TIIIEEEEMMM!
Some shots from the weekend. Just a hinter, not sure if I'll put up more though.

Saturday:

Sunday:

Click for slightly bigger...although photobucket, yet again, is proving why its not so crash hot, so maybe not. :P

Feel free to comment! :)

So ten years down the road? I've been shooting digital for several years now and have quite a bit of Photoshop experience and I still am finding new things out.

Curious to know what you think of GIMP compared to PS?

Some fantastic photos in this thread too!. 👍

Dam those nature shots 👍 :bowdown:

I have much to learn!

Haha EVERYBODY does. Its the nature of photography in general. :P Thanks!

Nice use of various, random colors with the Bugatti.

Cheers! :cheers:

Some fantastic photos in this thread too!. 👍

Gimp is an absolute cow to use but for 80% of the time it does most of the things photoshop does. It would stand up to cs2 or 3 more though in the way of ease of use and quality of work, I reckon. Good for no moneys, though. I'd still use it if I didn't have photoshop.

And thanks! :)

Really digging the way all the colors work in that Bugatti shot.

I've always found GIMP a bit cumbersome to use compared to Photoshop, but I was introduced to Photoshop back in the late 90's so it is just what I know and compare everything with. GIMP is quite powerful though, if you learn to use it, and certainly amazing for something that is free.

Likewise. Great having the differently-coloured race suits in the frame, and the yellow wall behind is just a bonus. Just a shame about the plastic bin behind the car!

Likewise. Great having the differently-coloured race suits in the frame, and the yellow wall behind is just a bonus. Just a shame about the plastic bin behind the car!

Yeah I know what you guys are on about - when running it through I was trying to put my finger on why/how they work like they do as I wasn't visioning it coloured like that when I took the shot. :P

Thanks 👍

Some really nice pics again Boffin, I like your "new" logo

Cheers! Yeah I never really had one so I thought it was time to hit illustrator and see what I could come up with. :cheers:

Like others have said, the Bugatti shot is amazing! Loving that shot too. :drool: A close number two would be the waterfall shot for me. 👍 Really need to get out into nature to try some shots like that. Great work as always Boffin.

Like others have said, the Bugatti shot is amazing! Loving that shot too. :drool: A close number two would be the waterfall shot for me. 👍 Really need to get out into nature to try some shots like that. Great work as always Boffin.

Thanks! Oddly enough, while I like it (hence why I show it), it is probably the least popular of all the shots I put up judged by people I know in the real world, so perhaps having an original Type 35 Bugatti in there helps the cred on a car forum?

Perfect!!

Ta very much! :)

Thanks! Oddly enough, while I like it (hence why I show it), it is probably the least popular of all the shots I put up judged by people I know in the real world, so perhaps having an original Type 35 Bugatti in there helps the cred on a car forum?

Not sure it's as black and white as that. Yes, it's a nice car, but the image works because of the fantastic, and slightly desaturated colours. It's just a really good shot, and it'd hold the same merit if the blue car was replaced by just a guy in some blue overalls.

It's a little "busy" perhaps, but that's the risk you take when photographing people and stuff without having control over the scene. The only thing I'd genuinely want out of the shot is the black bin behind the car.

I just love the colors in both of these pictures. The older guys really make the 2nd one too. Great moments.

Cheers! :)

Not sure it's as black and white as that. Yes, it's a nice car, but the image works because of the fantastic, and slightly desaturated colours. It's just a really good shot, and it'd hold the same merit if the blue car was replaced by just a guy in some blue overalls.

It's a little "busy" perhaps, but that's the risk you take when photographing people and stuff without having control over the scene. The only thing I'd genuinely want out of the shot is the black bin behind the car.

Thanks. Turned out to be one of my main shots fot the end of uni course photography exhibition. It prints really bloody nicely at 1.5m wide if I may say so myself. :P

---------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways - been working on a whole heap of things. Been busy what with uni graduation and everything so I may upload some up to this thread but for now, have a tumblr. :)

Its a bit muddled in places but have a geez and tell me what you think! :cheers:

Back