Boffin's photography gallery - Hello again, old friend(s)

• Thread starter Boffin
  • 293 comments
This man's on fire!

Have yourself some cookies. :D đź‘Ť

Ooooh yeah! Mmmm, eCookies. Tasty. :)

Interesting project, that one. Good to see you didn't go super obvious. As it sounds many did in your class.

GPR
Ooooh yeah! Mmmm, eCookies. Tasty. :)

Interesting project, that one. Good to see you didn't go super obvious. As it sounds many did in your class.

Interesting - I'll say. When we first got the brief in class we were like whhhhhuuuuuuuurttt. But in the end I spose it made sence. Some of the other ones were quite well done, but alot of them were the same (blew/blue etc etc) so apart from the first one, mine were all unique.

For those who didn't get it:

A pair of pears.

The beans have been, they are not any more because they've been eaten.

There are 11 tim tams in a pack. Seeing as there are 3 left, someone ate eight.

đź‘Ť

Hmmm this gallery needs more schtuff, methinks...

Paths of birds in flight over Sydney Harbour Bridge

hbridge.jpg

Oooo pretty. Being that your a Northern Beaches dweller, I take it, you shot this from Bradfield Park?

On a totally un-photography related noted, I've moved a little closer up your way. I'm now out of Campbelltown and (not quite Northern-beaches but edging in that direction) Marsfield.

Good heavens! Visitors! :drool:

Oooo pretty. Being that your a Northern Beaches dweller, I take it, you shot this from Bradfield Park?

Yeah pretty much - I took it from just off Kirribili Ave. Incidentally my car alarm went off when it was parked pretty much outside Kirribili house...at 12ish at night. Yeah, got a bit of attention from the feds until I turned it off lol.
It wasn' the shot I went there to take - I actually tried a multiple shot panorama which I hope to clean up at some stage.

On a totally un-photography related noted, I've moved a little closer up your way. I'm now out of Campbelltown and (not quite Northern-beaches but edging in that direction) Marsfield.

Omg he's getting closer. I used to go out that way quite a lot with uni friends who live in Epping and North Ryde. Not a bad place - moving up in the world lol. Congrats!

Just stay off the beaches and we'll be coooooooooool. :cool: :P

That's a really nice concept, keep it up!

Thanks! :)

Omg he's getting closer. I used to go out that way quite a lot with uni friends who live in Epping and North Ryde. Not a bad place - moving up in the world lol. Congrats!

Just stay off the beaches and we'll be coooooooooool. :cool: :P

Awww ...There goes the neighbourhood :lol:

Wowser! 6 months?

Guys I think I am due for a small update!

I throw up a little bit of a few things I have done in the last 2 years or so. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Think I posted this in the Amazing and Cool picture thread. It's a bubble. Rather annoying to shoot but had a group of friends and so it was a right laugh in the end. The project was descriptive vs. interpretive, and this was the interpretive to a descriptive studio shot of my ipod, saying it puts me in my own little bubble.

BrookAlastair02JPEG.jpg

Next up was part of our get-to-grips-with-studio-lighting project, focusing on product shots. Basically picking (in this case my watch) something and trying to photograph it in order to sell it. Hence I left a large part open for text to be added.

BrookAlastairMaster01.jpg

Another project playing around with different light techniques. I decided to modify my car.

cra-1.jpg

For an assessment questioning how a photo leads us to perceive. In this case, time of day. Shot around midnight with a fullish moon.

Daynight.jpg

My first try at lighning shots. Size doesn't really do it justic but blown up there is a rather large sense of serene peacefullness.

Lightning1small.jpg

Playing around with sparkers.

Sparksandbokeh1000.jpg

Quite a bit more to come. đź‘Ť

Quality shots man... Very creative! :D Bubble and lightning shots are the ones that do it for me... The detail in combination with the lighting of the bubble is really cool...

Thanks!

The bubble shot was terribly difficult. Autofocus wasn't having any of it in the night sky and the bubbles moved, so I needed to run after them, trying to focus and order my friends around who had the reflector. When put like that its a wonder we had any good shots, but the clarity of the reflections in the bubbles were actually really cool in quite a few of them. They make good selfy shots....you can see me in that one :P.

Shame the photography section is not as bustling as it once was... :/

ANYWAYS, onto something new!

I have been experimenting with film recently as part of my apparent hipster movement, mainly with a Holga. For those who don't know, a very, very, .....very low end camera (we're talking manual winders, rubbish lens, a body that isn't exactly light tight, two aperture and shutter settings) but the interesting thing about it is that it runs with medium format 120 film which is generally used in higher end film cameras due to the higher potential for better clarity and less shots per roll. Holgas have a distinctive look about their photos - vignetting, blurriness around the edge, discolourisation, etc. So far I have developed 2 rolls off it (with one roll consisting of 12 shots) and have got back about 20/24 decent shots, so I am rather pleased with how things are going. I have decided to throw up a small set took when I went out for a wander around my little home town of Manly. Compostition is an issue as the rule of 3rds doesnt really apply because of the blurriness, so it was a challenge to adapt. Enjoy!

6-2.jpg

5-2.jpg

4-3.jpg

1-6.jpg

3-4.jpg

2-6.jpg

Your last set looks great! đź‘Ť Must have been challenging using that camera :) They all have a real old school feel to them, like they were taken 30 years ago.

Your last set looks great! đź‘Ť Must have been challenging using that camera :) They all have a real old school feel to them, like they were taken 30 years ago.

Thanks!

I bought it this year but the design wouldn't have changed in over 30 years, so you are semi right. I really love how some of them can turn out and how they make you looke at photography differently in the fact that you only get 12 shots on a roll. Really makes you think.

đź‘Ť

They are great - I love that you are using such an obscure camera (well obscure here in the UK at least) and not being worried about its natural eccentricities and faults, in fact celebrating them and using them to good effect.

One thing that struck me in that series of shots is that they almost have a touch of tilt-shift quality about them :)

It makes you a lot more choosey about what you shoot and think things out more I imagine... With my modern day DSLR I shoot and if I don't like it I just delete and try again. :) Or shoot a crapload and choose the best one... That is a luxury you don't have with a camera like this... What was your succes rate with usuable shots?

^Problem of analogue. I began too and not knowing if your shot is valable is frustrating.
Plus I need to takes notes on the pics (date).

But it is funny to shoot with them too again. Ohh the good olde days

They are great - I love that you are using such an obscure camera (well obscure here in the UK at least) and not being worried about its natural eccentricities and faults, in fact celebrating them and using them to good effect.

One thing that struck me in that series of shots is that they almost have a touch of tilt-shift quality about them :)

Thanks! Glad you noticed. :)

It makes you a lot more choosey about what you shoot and think things out more I imagine... With my modern day DSLR I shoot and if I don't like it I just delete and try again. :) Or shoot a crapload and choose the best one... That is a luxury you don't have with a camera like this... What was your succes rate with usuable shots?

Well a friend has a Holga too and she reckoned 3 good ones for every roll of 12 but she........doesn't prepare for each frame (eg forgets to focus...and its not an slr so theres a bit of guessing with the manual focus, forgets about which aperture to use, not a steady enough hand, not stong composition etc etc) so I was preparing for the worst with my first two rolls but I got around a 20/24 good usable ones so I am really rather pleased. It also makes you think what you actually want to take photos of, let alone how you go about taking them. People ask a lot of questions about it because its not a usual camera.

I would suggest if you're looking into it, get a more basic hotshoe one NOT sold through lomography (as it will cost about 3 times more). So an N or a GN (both the same except one has a glass lens, which I have.... do some reading to figure out all of it but basically the purists don't like the glass lens but I feel it retains the same holga feel but having a sharper centre which would be good as I am considering blowing some of them up for uni exhibitions).

Film does make you a lot more choosey but I try and embrace both as much as eachother. They both have merits. While mid year last year at uni I got a bit bored with all the digital stuff and it was losing its appeal so I grabbed my Nikon film slr with some B&W and set out for a day in the Sydney CBD to try and just get back to basics and I found it rather cleansing.

đź‘Ť

^I bought around a 50 camera's for a 20 in an antique shop (no slr sadly). He wanted 100€ but wanted to get rid of it. After a bit of streetssmarting, I was down to 40. Still too much and wanted to leave, when he came chasing behind me. Still haven't tried nearly non of them (just 2 insta photo aka polaroid)

Well a friend has a Holga too and she reckoned 3 good ones for every roll of 12 but she........doesn't prepare for each frame (eg forgets to focus...and its not an slr so theres a bit of guessing with the manual focus, forgets about which aperture to use, not a steady enough hand, not stong composition etc etc) so I was preparing for the worst with my first two rolls but I got around a 20/24 good usable ones so I am really rather pleased. It also makes you think what you actually want to take photos of, let alone how you go about taking them. People ask a lot of questions about it because its not a usual camera.

I would suggest if you're looking into it, get a more basic hotshoe one NOT sold through lomography (as it will cost about 3 times more). So an N or a GN (both the same except one has a glass lens, which I have.... do some reading to figure out all of it but basically the purists don't like the glass lens but I feel it retains the same holga feel but having a sharper centre which would be good as I am considering blowing some of them up for uni exhibitions).

Film does make you a lot more choosey but I try and embrace both as much as eachother. They both have merits. While mid year last year at uni I got a bit bored with all the digital stuff and it was losing its appeal so I grabbed my Nikon film slr with some B&W and set out for a day in the Sydney CBD to try and just get back to basics and I found it rather cleansing.

đź‘Ť

Not sure if I'm going to travel this route just yet... I've only been using my DSLR for about 6 or 7 months now... So Im still learning in interested in it :) Once I feel Ive mastered digital I might go the good old film route. But I will definitely take your advice and do some reading and research as well. Really curious as to what else will come by here using that camera... You are still using it right?

Once I feel Ive mastered digital I might go the good old film route.

So ten years down the road? I've been shooting digital for several years now and have quite a bit of Photoshop experience and I still am finding new things out.

Boffin, kind of amazes me how quickly that lens gets soft towards the edges. Shooting wide open much or just how it goes? The texture and tone is quite nice though, and very analog feeling.

So ten years down the road? I've been shooting digital for several years now and have quite a bit of Photoshop experience and I still am finding new things out.

Is it going to take that long? :sly: Maybe I used the wrong wording... reading over it again I think "progressed far enough" instead of "mastered" would be the correct wording. For now I'm sticking with digital.. I'm a newbie to it and I wouldnt even know where to start shooting on film. I imagine Boffin developed these shots himself and thats something I have absolutely no knowledge of. Don't see myself shooting on film just yet :)

Really curious as to what else will come by here using that camera... You are still using it right?

Yep, its my most used camera right now. I find it rather interesting. :)

Boffin, kind of amazes me how quickly that lens gets soft towards the edges. Shooting wide open much or just how it goes? The texture and tone is quite nice though, and very analog feeling.

Just how it goes. Its a fixed zoom (not going to use the term 'prime lens' because it's far from it :P ) and I think the two aperture settings are f/8 and f/11 for cloudy and sunny respectively, but you do seem to get more dof than I would have expected for such sizes when focusing on closer objects. Shutter speed is ~1/100 and there's also bulb. Pretty sure these (at least the majority of them) were shot on Potra 160 film.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Awsome pictures man, and thank for the tips again. I really wish if there was better cars around here.

Back