Borderlands 2

Normally, Hyperion weapons are pretty awful. They do however make some really great special weapons ('special' meaning not white, green, rare blue or purple - I mean unique blue (the blues with red text in their description), legendary, seraph or pearlescent) so don't discount them entirely. Hyperion sniper rifles, though? No thanks. Ugh. Their shotguns are good, though, they make some of the best shotguns in the game (the Conference Call and Butcher spring to mind). My personal brand ranking, and the reasons why:

I dont like Hyperion guns, the first few seconds they are horrid with accuracy

I like tediore for SMGs, good fire rate, nice accuracy and bloody fast reload so you can keep spamming bullets
If i use a Assault Rifle Machine gun it is always a Bandit with some elemental property, with the right class and right skillset, they powerful M249 type guns
Sniper i use Jakobs that have the faster fire rate
RPG can be any.
I use a DLC jakobs shotty

One thing, I hate torgue weapons

I dont like Hyperion guns, the first few seconds they are horrid with accuracy

I like tediore for SMGs, good fire rate, nice accuracy and bloody fast reload so you can keep spamming bullets
If i use a Assault Rifle Machine gun it is always a Bandit with some elemental property, with the right class and right skillset, they powerful M249 type guns
Sniper i use Jakobs that have the faster fire rate
RPG can be any.
I use a DLC jakobs shotty

One thing, I hate torgue weapons

Yeah, most Hyperion guns are awful but in the right hands (i.e. Salvador's, as I mentioned) or situations very close range) they can be quite handy. Their special shotguns are great, too, I have a Butcher pearlescent which is awesome, as you'd imagine, and I've used Conference Calls a lot even after they fixed the glitch.

I hate Bandit, Jakobs and most Torgue weapons (the Pocket Rocket and Unkempt Harold, though...), rarely use rocket launchers, never really use sniper rifles except Vladof or E-Tech... The Cobra is pretty good too, I was lucky enough to get a lv72 one of those from the loot hunt event. My main go-to guns are usually a Chuliann because of the slag/shock effect making it a great weapon to soften targets up with, then I switch to a corrosive or incendiary plasma caster (of Maliwan or Dahl manufacture, Hyperion or Bandit if I'm desperate). That's usually sufficient for me. With Krieg and often Zero I rarely use anything other than a Law revolver and Order shield combo in addition to some kind of slag weapon, I don't tend to use the Chuliann with them though because of the self-slagging effect which can be disasterous, especially for Krieg.

Cheers everyone for all the info!

Will keep you updated if I can for what is working for me. Kinda sounds like with the skill sets is that you choose one area to go down to the bottom and then work on the other one.

Its interesting that one would use one to "soften" an enemy and then switch to another gun for the final flourish. Quite a different style of playing for an shooter I think, as my experience of shooters is rather limited. Been just sticking with one mostly until it runs out of ammo then switching. Till I realised that the explosive bullets would be great for medium to long range targets and then switching to a slag gun for the burn and cutting it down quicker that way for the fleshy enemies. At least I think its a slag gun. Might be a burn gun or whichever.

Just to check with everyone, Borderlands 2 is a relatively light game when you are not asking the world for graphical settings? It seems to be for my current laptop, although occasionally if I do zoom in first time, it stutters, but then disappears after that. Considering the laptop was obtained in 2011/2012, its doing damn well!

So I kind of remembered I hadn't played Borderlands 2 for a while... Which isn't strictly true, I did play briefly earlier this year (I think, it could've been late last year) to try and get through the DLCs with everyone. Basically, the DLC is awful and I hate it, even the last one gets really, really bad at the end - the pacing just goes insane and you get spammed with every conceivable type of enemy, so trying to solo it means you're swapping guns more often than firing them which is just dull, really. I still want to get all my characters to level 72 but it's going to take some time. It's been long enough since I last played that I'm actually considering doing the story with them all again... That'd take me up to maybe 27 playthroughs, which is about as many times as I played through MGS3 on PS2 - that was a 6 hour game though!

If I were to play Borderlands 2 now, I would be hellishly rusty. I haven't played this game in almost a year! I can already imagine getting mauled by those Bullymongs (or whatever they are called) if I were going to have a little tune-up or practice trying to get re-accustomed to Borderlands 2.

If I were to play Borderlands 2 now, I would be hellishly rusty. I haven't played this game in almost a year! I can already imagine getting mauled by those Bullymongs (or whatever they are called) if I were going to have a little tune-up or practice trying to get re-accustomed to Borderlands 2.
Just get The Handsome Collection and each character gets some nice gear to start their game with (even the imported ones) - Bullymongs don't stand a chance.

As for a tune up, why not pick a character who is already established and located in Sanctuary - you could drop down in Marcus' shop for some practice in his firing range.

So I spent some time swapping gear between my characters (again) and used around 30 gold keys to get some level 65 gear for Gaige, went and got the Flame of the Firehawk for her too... It's really not as good as I'd remembered, so that kind of sucks! I did a few of the non-unique reward quests in Flamerock Refuge but really I think I might just do the vanilla story all over again, getting to lv72 through the awkward/awful DLCs will probably kill my already stretched enthusiasm for the game once and for all. Or maybe I'll just set my game to open and play with whoever wants to join me. I don't know, I wanted to save the quests with unique rewards so I could get them all at lv72 but if I never get there, there's not much point!

Today I remembered why the Flame of the Firehawk is so good when Gaige is using it - There's that skill that gives Deathtrap a copy of her shield, so you essentially get an autonomous flying bomb that also shoots beams, claps explosions, slashes stuff and is generally really helpful. I also breezed through the Handsome Dragon boss today, relatively speaking, and then got to the Sorcerer's Daughter - and ragequit again. I know it's because my gear is lagging behind again (because I levelled up) but it's kind of frustrating when the boss can regenerate 25% of its health right after you've spent maybe five to ten minutes and most of your ammo dropping it 30%... So I'll go back to Sanctuary, spend some more gold keys and try again. It would've been nice if the game had been more generous in giving me lv66 gear before I got to the boss, but hey, that's Borderlands I guess.

Yep, still got it but I tend to play on PS4 due to the visual tweaks and ability to capture those fun moments. Seriously, if you have a PS4 then The Handsome Collection is well worth it.

I don't have a PS4 sadly..

Well, I just started on UVHM. I'm trying to complete the story for UVHM, but I usually have problems with staying alive on UVHM.
Yeah, that is really tough to do solo. Apparently it gets easier after level 59...there is also the character build, which is something I am mystified by in many ways. having said that, I recently entered UVHM with my Siren and got on okay after picking up a good build from the Gearbox forums.

What is your character and would you like some help? This all of course depends on your time-zone and the like. I have a Gunzerker, a Siren and now a Mechromancer ready for UVHM although the Gunzerker is level 58 so perhaps not a good option as all enemies will scale to his level regardless of your own.

Yeah, that is really tough to do solo. Apparently it gets easier after level 59...there is also the character build, which is something I am mystified by in many ways. having said that, I recently entered UVHM with my Siren and got on okay after picking up a good build from the Gearbox forums.

What is your character and would you like some help? This all of course depends on your time-zone and the like. I have a Gunzerker, a Siren and now a Mechromancer ready for UVHM although the Gunzerker is level 58 so perhaps not a good option as all enemies will scale to his level regardless of your own.

I have a level 52 Siren spect mostly in Motion and Harmony. I would like help and I live in the Central Time zone. I was at level 50 for the longest time, so I've acquired a selection of Legendaries.

Here's the skills I'm spect in.
image.jpg

I have a level 52 Siren spect mostly in Motion and Harmony. I would like help and I live in the Central Time zone. I was at level 50 for the longest time, so I've acquired a selection of Legendaries.

Here's the skills I'm spect in.

If you are playing mostly solo, I suggest going up the cataclysm tree first. I can't find the build with recommended gear on it since when I was playing BL2 still all the builds were for 72 levels. Look for high fire rate & fast reload guns, all elemental (not Torgue!).
http://bl2skills.com/siren.html#055001455150050140000505410551.

If you are playing mostly solo, I suggest going up the cataclysm tree first. I can't find the build with recommended gear on it since when I was playing BL2 still all the builds were for 72 levels. Look for high fire rate & fast reload guns, all elemental (not Torgue!).
http://bl2skills.com/siren.html#055001455150050140000505410551.

Other than Immolate and Flicker, I don't see much I prefer using. Cloudkill is useless from what I've seen and so is Blight Phoenix. Reaper I like for extra damage, but other than that I don't see much use in the Cataclysm skill tree.

Other than Immolate and Flicker, I don't see much I prefer using. Cloudkill is useless from what I've seen and so is Blight Phoenix. Reaper I like for extra damage, but other than that I don't see much use in the Cataclysm skill tree.
Central time USA? That puts you at around six hours behind my own clock unfortunately. I know, because I used to drive on FUEL with a friend from Chicago and that meant gaming sessions could last until 06:00 for me...sorry.

You might get some luck with finding team mates over here: http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/c/borderlands-2 or see if anyone on GTP situated more local to your time crops up.

I used to play this, Moreso on PC than the PS3. But if you are having issues on UVHM, I would suggest doing the DLC in TVHM to help you prepare for it.

Also don't spend too much time farming orange in TVHM since they say within 5 levels into UVHM you would be changing them out.

Long time since I've posted in this thread :) Anyway, I'm back playing borderlands again this time the The Handsome Collection on PS4. Just like to ask all of your opinions on the strongest gunzerker build for mainly solo play? I've had a quick search about but would like to hear the opinions on people in this thread as you have always been very knowledgeable and helpful.

Central time USA? That puts you at around six hours behind my own clock unfortunately. I know, because I used to drive on FUEL with a friend from Chicago and that meant gaming sessions could last until 06:00 for me...sorry.

You might get some luck with finding team mates over here: http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/c/borderlands-2 or see if anyone on GTP situated more local to your time crops up.

Ah. That sucks. I'll check on the forums. Thanks for the help.

I used to play this, Moreso on PC than the PS3. But if you are having issues on UVHM, I would suggest doing the DLC in TVHM to help you prepare for it.

Also don't spend too much time farming orange in TVHM since they say within 5 levels into UVHM you would be changing them out.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Long time since I've posted in this thread :) Anyway, I'm back playing borderlands again this time the The Handsome Collection on PS4. Just like to ask all of your opinions on the strongest gunzerker build for mainly solo play? I've had a quick search about but would like to hear the opinions on people in this thread as you have always been very knowledgeable and helpful.

I don't think it's really possible to have a bad Gunzerker for solo play, all of his trees are great - increasing damage output, ensuring you're almost always Gunzerking or adding health regen and damage reduction. I personally prefer No Kill Like Overkill and Come At Me Bro over Keep Firing... but with the right combination of weapons and other skills, Keep Firing... can be pretty awesome. But yeah, Salvador is second only to Krieg when it comes to solo builds. But I've attached a decent build anyway.

Attachments

• salvador.png
    salvador.png
    111.1 KB · Views: 16
I don't think it's really possible to have a bad Gunzerker for solo play, all of his trees are great - increasing damage output, ensuring you're almost always Gunzerking or adding health regen and damage reduction. I personally prefer No Kill Like Overkill and Come At Me Bro over Keep Firing... but with the right combination of weapons and other skills, Keep Firing... can be pretty awesome. But yeah, Salvador is second only to Krieg when it comes to solo builds. But I've attached a decent build anyway.

Thanks for the reply, Yeah I knew that salvador was a solid choice for soloplay that's why I chose him for my first character on THC. I'm not a serious player however so tend to struggle past the end of the first playthrough and into TVHM so I need all the help I can get :) Thanks for the build. I'm sure it well be an improvement over mine as I just sink points into skills that I like the sound of that tend not to benefit me to much. 👍

Thanks for the reply, Yeah I knew that salvador was a solid choice for soloplay that's why I chose him for my first character on THC. I'm not a serious player however so tend to struggle past the end of the first playthrough and into TVHM so I need all the help I can get :) Thanks for the build. I'm sure it well be an improvement over mine as I just sink points into skills that I like the sound of that tend not to benefit me to much. 👍
Yeah, it's almost a science judging by the highly serious players out there who weight up fractions of seconds in reload speed against health regeneration and which relics in combination with what skills are best.

There are some good builds from UVHM onwards that can survive even without Moxxi weapons to buff them. You might want to tackle that with friends though as it's a big leap up from TVHM.

Yeah, it's almost a science judging by the highly serious players out there who weight up fractions of seconds in reload speed against health regeneration and which relics in combination with what skills are best.

There are some good builds from UVHM onwards that can survive even without Moxxi weapons to buff them. You might want to tackle that with friends though as it's a big leap up from TVHM.

Yeah, to be honest UVHM is a way down the road for me yet. Im willing to try TVHM solo, UVHM I think will have to be reserved for when I can get some friends into it.👍

Yeah, to be honest UVHM is a way down the road for me yet. Im willing to try TVHM solo, UVHM I think will have to be reserved for when I can get some friends into it.👍
TVHM is feasible solo - just watch out for some of the bosses and of course the ultimate badass enemies. Give a shout if your mates don't fancy diving into it come the time.

TVHM is feasible solo - just watch out for some of the bosses and of course the ultimate badass enemies. Give a shout if your mates don't fancy diving into it come the time.

Thanks for the offer, May take you up on it if TVHM doesn't prove to much hassle.👍

Thanks for the offer, May take you up on it if TVHM doesn't prove to much hassle.👍
No worries. I actually took my lvl 50 Gaige through to Sanctuary solo on UVHM today - it got hairy a couple of times but it feels like the massive difficulty hike in UVHM has been lessened a bit...that or I'm getting used to it all. I even took down Captain Flynt and he was two levels higher than me...

To be fair, last time I tried was on the PS3 with a lvl 57 Salvador. I suppose I should really try him again to see if it has become easier or not.

I've picked BL2 up again, I decided to finally stop being so precious about saving quests with good rewards until level 72 (because Krieg can pretty easily run through UVHM on his own with the right gear so I just reset his progress) so I've been playing co-op for the first time in forever, I've even just done Zero's second UVHM mode playthrough entirely in co-op.

On Saturday I was level 63 and started in Bloodshot Stronghold where I was about to rescue Roland, then on Sunday I finished the story mode then killed Terramorphous with my group and left it having just gotten to level 68. Last night I was just mopping up quick and easy quests and I think I got to level 70.6ish, still lots to do so I'll probably be doing that tonight, hopefully I'll hit 72 either today or tomorrow. Then I get to start that process all over again with Axton, Maya or Sal since they're all lv62. But it was fun so that's ok.

Also I've made a conscious decision to just avoid the DLC altogether from now on (except Pyro Pete's Bar for grinding Torgue Tokens and I guess I might go through them ONE last time when I can be bothered for lv72 uniques), I've reset each character's UVHM playthrough so I'm going to (hopefully, probably) just cap them in story mode. That means four playthroughs with everyone except Gaige (I capped her and Krieg through the DLC, which I hated a lot) in addition to two I did on a second Salvador, one on a co-op Axton and... I think that's it. So when that's done that'll be a lot of playthroughs.

Back