Brilliant Racing Videos

As far as I can tell however, it is the only completely French speaking podium in F1 history.

I didn't think of that. That is hilarious.

After looking into it I cant find anything about the only French speaking podium, However I did find that they also used French made fuel from Elf in the Renaults.

I love in the video you can hear the crowd over the cars when the passes occur.

As far as I can tell however, it is the only completely French speaking podium in F1 history.

I couldn't resist chasing that one up.

The 1982 French Grand Prix was Arnoux-Prost-Pironi.
The 1983 San Marino Grand Prix was Tambay-Prost-Arnoux

Edit: And with Depailler, Laffite and Villeneuve of the same era, there really has been a decline in Francosphere Formula One drivers since then. What talent they had.

Last edited:

Edit: And with Depailler, Laffite and Villeneuve of the same era, there really has been a decline in Francosphere Formula One drivers since then. What talent they had.

Well I stand corrected, good detective work right there! To add to that, the 1982 French GP had French drivers finishing 1-2-3-4, something surely never seen before or again. The 70s and 80s were pretty much the golden age of French F1 drivers... It's crazy to think how much talent came out of France in that era and then barely anything ever since.

Well I stand corrected, good detective work right there! To add to that, the 1982 French GP had French drivers finishing 1-2-3-4, something surely never seen before or again. The 70s and 80s were pretty much the golden age of French F1 drivers... It's crazy to think how much talent came out of France in that era and then barely anything ever since.
The 70's @ 80's were good to the French thanks to places like the Elf school & massive funding from French tobacco.
Definitely a peak for French Motorsport.

Even with the lack of funding in mind, I wonder why France's best drivers since the 1980s have been touring car, rally and sportscar drivers and not Formula One drivers? Olivier Panis gave it a good shot but he was never the same driver after he broke his legs.

Even before Magny-Cours was axed from the calendar the country seemed to have long given up on Formula One.

Definitely. Through the early 90s we had a similar project in Canada with the Player's tobacco brand that gave young racers a chance at success, with the likes of Jacques Villeneuve, the late Greg Moore, Patrick Carpentier and Alex Tagliani being a few of the stand-out names. Villeneuve aside (and Moore, sadly lost way too early in his career) none actually ended up becoming F1 material.

Even with the lack of funding in mind, I wonder why France's best drivers since the 1980s have been touring car, rally and sportscar drivers and not Formula One drivers?

Peugeot's absolute catastrophe of an F1 program and Renault's on/off/on again program certainly didn't help with the youngsters, I think. There's various other reasons, but yes, it's very strange how everything suddently died on that front.

On top of that, the French government banned alcohol advertising in the early 90s which pretty much killed the Larrousse team, which could have been a decent entry point for French drivers. :indiff:

The 1997 Spanish Grand Prix was Villeneuve-Panis-Alesi.

This may or may not qualify.

While an amateur level motorsport, last years race at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (Mosport) between the lower class leaders was simply fantastic. The Miata/Porsche battle is phenomenal. Basic motorsport at its finest.

EDIT: Starting with 26 minutes to go.

Last edited:
I know I've been posting a lot but these are exceptional.

A retrospective highlights reel of the 1937 racing season. Nuvolari, Caracciola, Rosemayer, Lang... I never thought I'd see footage of the Silver Arrows actually racing at AVUS!

The start is fine but midway through the footage is hilariously sped up in that stupid way they used to do to give the impression of speed because of how slow Monaco is.

Also note the crash where the Auto Union nearly goes into the crowd.

It has the 1937 European season including the famous race at Donington, the Vanderbilt Cup, the Indy 500, the Brooklands Grand Prix and Malcolm Campbell in Bluebird.

There is also a similar highlights reel for the 1934 season which kicks off with an insane near miss at Indy!

The 1934 video is noteworthy for demonstrating the rise to dominance of the German cars and fall of the French and Italian cars which was evident in the video above.

There is some lovely footage of old, old Monza. But it irks me that I again can't quite work out the configuration. The banking is there but the Parabolica/Curva Sud don't appear to be, yet the cars are travelling far too fast on the banking to be on the Florio circuit.

Note in the 1934 video that the banking at AVUS has not yet been built.

In the related videos there are reels for 1933, 1935 and 1936 but they are much shorter.

Last edited:
I know I've been posting a lot but these are exceptional.

A retrospective highlights reel of the 1937 racing season. Nuvolari, Caracciola, Rosemayer, Lang... I never thought I'd see footage of the Silver Arrows actually racing at AVUS!

The start is fine but midway through the footage is hilariously sped up in that stupid way they used to do to give the impression of speed because of how slow Monaco is.

Also note the crash where the Auto Union nearly goes into the crowd.

It has the 1937 European season including the famous race at Donington, the Vanderbilt Cup, the Indy 500, the Brooklands Grand Prix and Malcolm Campbell in Bluebird.

There is also a similar highlights reel for the 1934 season which kicks off with an insane near miss at Indy!

The 1934 video is noteworthy for demonstrating the rise to dominance of the German cars and fall of the French and Italian cars which was evident in the video above.

There is some lovely footage of old, old Monza.

Note in the 1934 video that the banking at AVUS has not yet been built.

In the related videos there are reels for 1933, 1935 and 1936 but they are much shorter.

The speed at which some motor racing films/videos play at can be annoying at times.
Even some of the early footage from Bathurst suffers the same thing. It's almost like they are playing at 1.5 to 2 times the actual speed of the cars.

Full race coverage of the Winton Motor Raceway round of the Australian Touring Car Championship. Nothing like a wet race in the middle of the Group A era.

I can remember watching this race live. Plenty of action on the track and, after if you were either Allan Grice or the late Frank Gardner.
A memorable race for so many reasons.

Qualifying, Japan 1995

OBC
No commentary
Just engine noise

Order: Renault V10 - Mercedes-Benz V10 - Renault V10 - Peugeot V10 - Ferrari V12 - Renault V10

Paging @Dennisch

What I get from watching that vision is how loose both Williams appear, how easy Mika made it look with a dud of a McLaren, how the Ferrari made a lot of beautiful noise for such a peaky power delivery and how Michael was wringing the Benetton's neck for all it was worth.
I'm not sure what to make of the Jordan but it looked a real handful.

A little bit of a different take on the 'brilliant' requirement: I think this is a brilliant demonstration of how important it is to race the track and drive to your strengths.

You'll never be faster than someone if you're just doing exactly the same as what they are!

From 5:26 -

A little bit of a different take on the 'brilliant' requirement: I think this is a brilliant demonstration of how important it is to race the track and drive to your strengths.

You'll never be faster than someone if you're just doing exactly the same as what they are!

From 5:26 -

Great to see Lakeside still active. It always sorted the men from the boys and, at one stage, held the fastest average lap speed in Australia.

Great to see Lakeside still active. It always sorted the men from the boys and, at one stage, held the fastest average lap speed in Australia.

Cheers Pete.

It's also a tough place to pass at, which I think makes it an excellent track demonstrating / teaching the importance of racecraft.

The other track in the area is Queensland Raceway, which is just corner, straight, repeat, so high HP cars pass on the straights, lighter cars pass in the corners and that's about it.

But at Lakeside, you really need to be aware of the strengths and weaknesses of your car vs theirs and plan your move ahead to make it stick. Fantastic circuit.

Cheers Pete.

It's also a tough place to pass at, which I think makes it an excellent track demonstrating / teaching the importance of racecraft.

The other track in the area is Queensland Raceway, which is just corner, straight, repeat, so high HP cars pass on the straights, lighter cars pass in the corners and that's about it.

But at Lakeside, you really need to be aware of the strengths and weaknesses of your car vs theirs and plan your move ahead to make it stick. Fantastic circuit.
The 'Paperclip' is the only circuit I've been to outside of my home state of Victoria. I won a simulator challenge at a Motorsport store with 1st prize being return flight to Brisvegas, a tour of the old 888 team HQ and a hot lap around Willowbank with Craig Lowndes in his Vodafone BF Falcon. It was the day they were testing the ethanol fuel for the first time. As a lifelong Lowndes fan, it's one of the best days I've ever had with my pants on :D

The 'Paperclip' is the only circuit I've been to outside of my home state of Victoria. I won a simulator challenge at a Motorsport store with 1st prize being return flight to Brisvegas, a tour of the old 888 team HQ and a hot lap around Willowbank with Craig Lowndes in his Vodafone BF Falcon. It was the day they were testing the ethanol fuel for the first time. As a lifelong Lowndes fan, it's one of the best days I've ever had with my pants on :D

Awesome story!

As much as it gets a lot of flak, a racetrack is a racetrack and that's still better than nothing at all!

Back