Brilliant Racing Videos

I just watched that for a second time...still just as good. I listened to the commentary a little more this time, I actually found it pretty funny - in a very dry, British way :P

Brilliant 200mph knee to knee racing on public roads with occasional wet patches to keep everyone on their toes. The whole video is worth a watch, but the final race after the restart was incredible from start to finish. I've time stamped it, but you'll have to click the Youtube link as embedding is restricted..

Last edited:
I have to admit that I was ready to cry at some points, when I saw it for the first time.

I agree. I'm 45 years old & in the time I've been following motorsport, I've lost so many of my heroes. Ayrton Senna, Colin McRae, Dale Earnhardt, Peter Brock & Dan Wheldon who I'd followed for his whole career. Champions to me & many others. The only one not to have died in tragic circumstances is Sir Jack Brabham.

It's not an action video, but a brilliant piece nonetheless. Didn't know much about Derek beforehand but he turned out to be a fascinating man to listen to. Great stories about many grand prix drivers (funny bit about how he chased Schumacher in anger around the paddock too after an 'incident'). If you got an hour to spare this is definitely an interview you can't miss:

More of the same on the channel too so be sure to check it out.

Interesting to hear how quickly the Renault team crumbled. It's such a shame he didn't go to Williams. I'm also surprised how calm he is about Senna vetoing his move to Lotus; I'm sure that this has come with time. Back in 1985 I'm sure he was utterly furious.

Edit: Doubly surprised that he was paid by Toleman. I didn't think that backmarkers in the early 80s were paying their drivers!

Edit 2: The bit about Paul Warwick was touching.

Last edited:
I didn't see this in the thread shockingly, The French Grand Prix 1979

Gilles Villeneuve VS Rene Arnoux for Second
The race was Won by French Driver Jean-Pierre Jabouille, It was his first Win and the first win for a Turbocharged car.

This could have been the First 1-2 by 2 French Driver's in French Cars (Renault) on French Tires (Michelin) But instead a Canadian in an Italian car broke it up to take second.

Gilles later cited this as his greatest racing memory.

As far as I can tell however, it is the only completely French speaking podium in F1 history.

Back