Budget Car Challenge

• Thread starter Airrider
  • 1,553 comments
Just a couple of quick questions...

When's the deadline for the next round?

And does the grip reduction need to be set to real or low? As this makes a BIG difference on the times. I seem to remember that in the past we've run on real, but I just thought I'd check.

Oooh...looks like McRoflSandwhich and myself have opened a bit of a gap going into the last challenge.:drool: wonder if I can do good enough on 🤬 Suzuka in the 🤬 rain to actually hang onto second place.:scared:

@McRoflSandwhich hey how much HP and torque is your scooby making? Had sort of hoped I might have an advantage there for the drag challenge but we split that one with our Stig...erh I mean MadMax driving for us.:D

Yep, its going to be a close one! :dopey:

I'm wondering whether I'll be able to hang onto first place, or whether you'll overtake me at Suzuka. This round will drive me nuts. Ahh well, at least we have 4WD... :sly:

Haha, yep, I think the Stig was a pretty good driver for us both in the previous round :P

I'm producing 356 BHP and 46 kgfm of torque I believe. I know the BHP's right, but I can't quite remember the torque off the top of my head. Whats your Evo VI producing? Originally, I was planning to hold out to find an Evo, but ran out of patience and settled for the Scooby :lol:

Just a couple of quick questions...

When's the deadline for the next round?

And does the grip reduction need to be set to real or low? As this makes a BIG difference on the times. I seem to remember that in the past we've run on real, but I just thought I'd check.

Yep, its going to be a close one! :dopey:

I'm wondering whether I'll be able to hang onto first place, or whether you'll overtake me at Suzuka. This round will drive me nuts. Ahh well, at least we have 4WD... :sly:

Haha, yep, I think the Stig was a pretty good driver for us both in the previous round :P

I'm producing 356 BHP and 46 kgfm of torque I believe. I know the BHP's right, but I can't quite remember the torque off the top of my head. Whats your Evo VI producing? Originally, I was planning to hold out to find an Evo, but ran out of patience and settled for the Scooby :lol:
Deadline is Friday.

I've been running all mine with grip set to real as that's what the OP has for rules and I've not seen anything to change that.

Your probably going to win by more than a couple points as I absolutely hate Suzuka, add rain lousy tires and the fact that I'm still learning to drive a manual transmission in the game and I'll feel good if I go under 3 minutes.:drool:
Only thing that "might" help is that I've been tuning cars on Suzuka over the last couple of weeks for a shootout in the tuning forum.

My Evo has 380HP, 350ft-lb torque and weighs 1260kg.

Deadline is Friday.

I've been running all mine with grip set to real as that's what the OP has for rules and I've not seen anything to change that.

Your probably going to win by more than a couple points as I absolutely hate Suzuka, add rain lousy tires and the fact that I'm still learning to drive a manual transmission in the game and I'll feel good if I go under 3 minutes.:drool:
Only thing that "might" help is that I've been tuning cars on Suzuka over the last couple of weeks for a shootout in the tuning forum.

My Evo has 380HP, 350ft-lb torque and weighs 1260kg.

Yeah, I've had it set to real for the others too. I just wanted to make sure here because it really makes a difference to the times.

I'm not overly keen on Suzuka either. Or on the rain :lol: It's not going to be a good combination...

Ahh right, I'm not sure what my torque corresponds too in ft-lb's, but my Scooby weighs in at 1270kg. So yours should have been lighter and faster I would have thought!

As for the deadline, there could be a slight issue with that for me. I won't be returning home until Saturday, so won't have PS3 access until then. I'll be able to run the laps Saturday night, so I hope this is okay with gt4viper and Airrider? 👍

Yeah, I've had it set to real for the others too. I just wanted to make sure here because it really makes a difference to the times.

I'm not overly keen on Suzuka either. Or on the rain :lol: It's not going to be a good combination...

Ahh right, I'm not sure what my torque corresponds too in ft-lb's, but my Scooby weighs in at 1270kg. So yours should have been lighter and faster I would have thought!

As for the deadline, there could be a slight issue with that for me. I won't be returning home until Saturday, so won't have PS3 access until then. I'll be able to run the laps Saturday night, so I hope this is okay with gt4viper and Airrider? 👍
I'm guessing your gearing gave you a better hole shot plus you probably had less wheel spin. My higher trap speed means that probably from mid run on my extra HP and slight weight advantage was letting me close on you, but your car obviously got a little to much off the line for it to overcome before the finish line.

I'm guessing your gearing gave you a better hole shot plus you probably had less wheel spin. My higher trap speed means that probably from mid run on my extra HP and slight weight advantage was letting me close on you, but your car obviously got a little to much off the line for it to overcome before the finish line.

Yeah, I guess if we'd have been running this event over the mile instead of the quarter then it would have been a different story!

It was extremely close between the two of us though.

Yeah, I guess if we'd have been running this event over the mile instead of the quarter then it would have been a different story!

It was extremely close between the two of us though.
My 0-60 was 4.873 and 0-100 was 10.488

By the way are we free to use any amount of ballast?
Also what about the power limiter, can it be used?

Just did a run with 200kg of bricks in the boot and took nearly 2 seconds off my time. Also have found that running in a gear to high helps limit the amount of wheelspin.:D

I ran something like 4 seconds faster with a fat bloke in the boot than I did stock. Also, limiting the power helped somewhat too, reduced wheelspin a tad.

The time is still woefully slow though.

I ran something like 4 seconds faster with a fat bloke in the boot than I did stock. Also, limiting the power helped somewhat too, reduced wheelspin a tad.

The time is still woefully slow though.
Well I just tuned a 490PP car on Sports Hard tires on this track when dry. Using an automatic transmission I was doing 2:22 laps.

My car for this with max downforce, no ballast or power limiter is 513PP. My time using the manual transmission on our comfort hard tires with 100% rain/wet track is thirty some seconds slower.:drool:

My car isn't quite as powerful as yours, but it performs much better with a bit of weight over the rear tyres. Still slower than your laptime though.

My car isn't quite as powerful as yours, but it performs much better with a bit of weight over the rear tyres. Still slower than your laptime though.

You'd almost think mine was a FR the way it wants to fishtail and spin. Reminds me why I almost always install the center differential in my 4wd cars. What's the point of having 4wd if 75% of the power is going to the rear end anyways.:drool:

Yeah, I asked myself what was the point in a FR car when 60% of the weight is slung over the front wheels, once I'd checked my car's stats more thoroughly

No traction whatsoever. Downforce and ballast help somewhat but still.

Week 4 results sent.

Used 200kg ballast still not sure if that's allowed.:nervous:
Doubt its enough to beat McRoflSandwhich but think I've given him a pretty good run for it.:crazy::D:gtpflag:

Sent my time in. Didn't really give it as many laps as I wanted to but yeah, I'll come last anyway. :lol:

Sorry guys, but I think I have last place all tied up, I hate Suzuka, and my car hates rain. match made in heaven!
While mathematical not impossible for you to come in last it is highly unlikely due to the current point standings.:odd:

Speaking of points any chance of getting an updated total through week 3?:drool:

It seems as though it's between me and you for who earns the Wooden Spoon :P I know my time will be very towards the bottom :dopey:

I must say, my GT86 behaved itself very well in the rain, but it's only because it only has 200bhp. :lol:

I must say, my GT86 behaved itself very well in the rain, but it's only because it only has 200bhp. :lol:
Yep I almost went for severe use of the power limiter, but decided the load of bricks in the boot was pushing things far enough as it was. Regaining traction once the wheels started spinning was a right mess. My suspension setup on dry pavement would have created bad understeer as it was the rear end still wanted to lead through corners if I didn't.watch it close.:drool:

Great car and with a better driver like McRoflSandwhich or Roj it would have cleaned everyone's clock this season.

This last week was the only one where I wished I had been able to find that low mileage Daihatsu Move 4wd I was looking for!:lol:

Yeah I've done with this week's challenge now. I managed to improve on my first time by just under 5 seconds over the course of the week :P

All in all I don't like the car I chose for this month, then again I did misunderstand the rules originally >_>

Last edited:
just FYI, the results may be a bit late this week as
Airrider is doing the final complication and results
this week since he has a Founders Car and bonus points to divvy up.
thanks for you patience!

I'm gunna have to pull out unfortunately (hopefully just this round )

I completely forgot about it and I know I'm already days late and can't garuntee when I can get on next so it's unfair and well just not following the rules and that's how it should be at the end of the day

It was really enjoyable I must say

Heh, apparently I've forgotten how to drive in the dry now. Since I've taken pictures of the leaderboards I took my car round a dry Suzuka with Racing Softs on, the cornering speed was insane :P

50mph through the Casio Triangle? What sorcery is this?! 43 seconds faster than my submitted time :P

Heh, apparently I've forgotten how to drive in the dry now. Since I've taken pictures of the leaderboards I took my car round a dry Suzuka with Racing Softs on, the cornering speed was insane :P

50mph through the Casio Triangle? What sorcery is this?! 43 seconds faster than my submitted time :P
After spending the better part of two weeks testing then tuning 490PP, 520PP and 550PP cars on Suzuka a track I detest for the latest tuning forum shootout, we get told to drive our beaters...erh I mean budget cars there in the rain...I have absolutely no interest in running my car on that track again regardless of tires.:lol: Did take a couple of nice photos of my car there though from the saved replay of my best lap. Just wish the water showed up in the photos the way it does in the replay. I'll post the photos here in a little while.

Slip sliding away...slip sliding away...
The nearer your destination...
The more your slip sliding away!
Suzuka20Circuit-3.jpg

Suzuka20Circuit-4.jpg

Remember as Harvey Wallbanger always says...
Drive hard and have fun!:cheers::gtpflag:

Last edited:
Right. I'm hoping someone else will step up to help me host all this, and I didn't get to do a Founder's Time because stuff piled up this weekend. The next season, however, will go from April 7 to May 5. Look for the announcement this week.

Airrider
Right. I'm hoping someone else will step up to help me host all this, and I didn't get to do a Founder's Time because stuff piled up this weekend. The next season, however, will go from April 7 to May 5. Look for the announcement this week.

I'm just running the Suzuka event now. Sorry for causing a delay. This weekends been a really busy one with finishing uni for Easter and everything. I've just got back home. I'll submit it shortly :)

EDIT:

Time sent now. I'll tell you something, I'm sick of feathering the throttle and dabbing the brakes after this round. And sick of restarting every two laps once it stopped raining! :lol:

Also, XDesperado67, my car was much faster with 200kg of bricks in the boot :P Took around 7 seconds off. Thanks for the tip :lol: 👍

Last edited:
I'm just running the Suzuka event now. Sorry for causing a delay. This weekends been a really busy one with finishing uni for Easter and everything. I've just got back home. I'll submit it shortly :)

EDIT:

Time sent now. I'll tell you something, I'm sick of feathering the throttle and dabbing the brakes after this round. And sick of restarting every two laps once it stopped raining! :lol:

Also, XDesperado67, my car was much faster with 200kg of bricks in the boot :P Took around 7 seconds off. Thanks for the tip :lol: 👍
In the track settings menu once your at the Suzuka weather change track turn the rain to 100%, 100% wet at start and 0 weather change. You'll have a totally washed out track forever.:scared:

No problem on the bricks in the boot tip as others said they were doing it.:sly:

Now only question is how far under 2:53.000 you got.:lol:

XDesperado67
In the track settings menu once your at the Suzuka weather change track turn the rain to 100%, 100% wet at start and 0 weather change. You'll have a totally washed out track forever.:scared:

No problem on the bricks in the boot tip as others said they were doing it.:sly:

Now only question is how far under 2:53.000 you got.:lol:

Aww what? I must have had my eyes closed when I changed the options :lol: I changed to 100% wet and 100% rain, but must have missed the other slider :dunce:

Haha, well I had originally set my target at 2:45, yet I found that to be rather optimistic :lol:
Don't think that would have been possible.
Maybe we'll have to wait until Airrider publishes the results... :P

My car wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been though. Just feather the throttle and switch up a gear higher than usual, and it seemed to behave. Coasting around the corners and relying on engine braking helped a lot too.

So do we have any results for March yet?

Also are we going to be able to run April's season?

Hoping someone with a computer can step up and help Airrider out as this is a good series and deserves to continue strong.👍👍

Back