Budget Car Challenge

• Thread starter Airrider
  • 1,553 comments
The monster better not be the car I'm after. If it is then I may regret not buying that 300ZX. :lol:

There is one monster , 2-3 competitive ones and a few less competitive.
You know what I'm talking about..
I propably have them all with high mileage.. and going with the monster just does not fell fair. :rolleyes:

MadMax
Wonder what cars your looking at...
Just tried out a very sweet car...brought back old memories of my first full time job and one of the managers who loved her car to death.:D

Uhm quick question...is there a limit on car types for this season like no race cars? Reason I'm asking is that a Mugen Motul CIVIC Si Race Car '87 just popped up in my UCD for Cr44,149. I'm not looking to use it but it might be a bit much if someone else decides to...:drool:

Oh and if anyone wants one let me know in the next 15min or so as I already have a couple and don't need another.:lol::crazy:

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to call myself out of this season too guys I'm afraid. There's no way I'll be able to get a car ready for tomorrow, and I won't be able to submit a time for the first week due to work :grumpy:

Sorry!

Hey guys not to beat a dead horse here or anything, but the Mugen Motul CIVIC Si Race Car '87 needs to be disallowed for this season unless Airrider is planning nothing but drift trials and drag races. The car comes stock with front and rear adjustable downforce, Fully Customizable transmission, Adjustable LSD, Fully Customizable Suspension and Race Hard tires. With no oil change/engine rebuild or chassis refresh and leaving all settings at stock values I easily lapped Trial Mountain 2 seconds faster than any other car I've looked at.:scared:

I think that was the monster MadMax was speaking of. :lol:

Shame you have to drop out McRofl. :(

Shame you have to drop out McRofl. :(
Not sure since I had spotted and tested a couple other very good cars prior to that popping up. Hadn't even considered a Race Car because 0/0 price on most of them is over the budget. Performance wise that car has got to be one of the top values as far as performance vs cost in the game. I mean the Transmission and Suspension alone cost almost as much as the car does. Not sure how they figure out the price on some of these cars.:odd:

I think it's because it's a low-tier race car. The Gather's Civic is also a very low price if I remember correctly.

I've still not found the car I was looking for but I may have found something better. I'll have to see the performance differences when I finally get the car I'm after. :D

That's not what I meant.

I think it's because it's a low-tier race car. The Gather's Civic is also a very low price if I remember correctly.

I've still not found the car I was looking for but I may have found something better. I'll have to see the performance differences when I finally get the car I'm after. :D

Drop me a (PSN/SEN) friend request to acc. GT-LM and I'll send you one with 74051km , 0 changes. (the car has four wheels , no spare tyre available)

MadMax

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer, but XDesperado helped me get it last night already. 👍
Yeah I must really be crazy giving you a car to beat us with.:crazy::lol:
Just really didn't enjoy driving it that much plus its sort of an expected contender so I'm looking for a bit more unusual car.:D

There probably is something faster than it. It's been my 80's car of choice since the early GT games so I went for it because I like the car, not because of it's speed. :D

Yeah... I wish I didn't to drop out either :( Its just coming up to exam period once again for me. Hopefully I'll return for the June season :)

It's a shame because this season looks like a good one! :dopey:
It's already proving to be a right pain in the...well anyways sorry you and some others won't be joining us this season. Best of luck with the exams though.👍👍

Just to confirm what I think I already know. The results from the last two months won't be getting posted/have been lost?

That's quite a shame if so, would've liked to see how I fared.

I'll post my car for this season in a few hours. Had technical difficulties today and now mom has the TV.:drool:

I will be reading up on what it takes to be a part of this (I've followed from a far), maybe I can take part? :dopey:
Thanks Harv 👍

I will be reading up on what it takes to be a part of this (I've followed from a far), maybe I can take part? :dopey:
Thanks Harv 👍
Here's a link to this seasons setup.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6983947#post6983947

The OP gives instruction on how to drive...i.e. manual transmission, grip real, damage light, etc.

For this season we're trying something new and will post our results on here instead of emailing them to Airrider. His real life is keeping him to busy currently to manage under the old system and we've been unable to find him a deputy with a computer.:drool:

Nissan Silvia K's (S13) '88 55,305.5km Cr13,645
Engine tuning Stage 1 Cr2,500
ECU Cr1,000
Racing Air Filter Cr450
Sports Exhaust Cr1,500
Sports Catalytic Converter Cr500
Low RPM Range Turbo Cr4,500
Height Adjustable Suspension Cr4,500
Racing Hard Tires Cr15,000
Wing C Cr500

Total cost Cr44,595

Car was given Chassis refresh and engine rebuild. Also added custom wheels and paint.

459PP, 264HP, 257ft-lb torque@4,500rpm with a 8,500rpm redline.

Came down to a choice between this and a Buick GNX...Had a S12 briefly in the mid eighties and decided to use this.:D:crazy:

If photos of the car/build are needed I'll post them tomorrow.👍👍

And what do I do but let finals prep screw me up? Oh dear, oh dear. ANYWAY! Now that everyone's gathering it's time for me to issue your first challenge.

Car stunts were big news on the TV shows in the 1980s. Knight Rider's KITT had the turbo boost to bounce around and the A-Team looked for any excuse to plow a hastily-rebuilt vehicle of some kind through a barn made of balsa wood. Seeing as GT5 doesn't have talking cars OR suspiciously flimsy buildings, we'll just have to make do with the Cape Ring North.

Drive a lap of the Cape Ring North and record not only your fastest time but the fastest speed you can reach on the straight leading to the track's big jump. As a general rule, be lenient about the jump and try to pick the highest speed reached before your wheels hit the ground again.

Also, if everyone knows Photomode and can transfer pictures to upload, I'll have an added season-long event in store. Stay on the lookout.

I forget at the moment...does Cape Ring North come up the loop or does the jump lead into the loop?

Also you want our Airborne speed? Or our speed as the car hits the jump?

Your fastest speed at any time on the straight until after you've landed. Doesn't matter where it happens, although I suspect it might be right as you hit the jump.

On North, the jump comes after the loop.

Toyota MR2 1600 G-Limited Super Charger '86
Cost 11,260
Mileage 92758.1 Km

Performance upgrades

Sports Catalytic Converter 500
Racing Air Filter 450
ECU 1,000
Semi-Racing Exhaust 7,500
Engine Stage 1 2,500
Height-Adjustable Sports Kit 4,500
Sports Soft Tires 8,000
Semi-Racing Flywheel 1,500
Sports Exhaust Manifold 3,500
Sports Intake Manifold 2,500
Single Plate Clutch 1,500

Total 44,710

Oop, I should post my car eh. Not used to this format. :lol:

30,116 - Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32) '89
_8,000 - Sports Soft Tyres
_4,500 - Low RPM Range Turbo Kit
_1,000 - Sports ECU
__,500 - Sports Catalytic Converter
__,450 - Racing Air Filter
44,566 - Total

I don't know if I can get airborne, my car weighs more than a house! :lol:

I don't know if I can get airborne, my car weighs more than a house! :lol:
Funny I was just thinking that even with over 400 HP that 1600kg GNX I almost used might have just run over that jump like it was a small speed bump.:lol:

Oh dear. Okay, if you can't get properly airborne just count your fastest speed before the track dips.

But I think you guys could kind of assume that.

My bad, I thought the jump came before the loop on Cape North. I can get air no problem when it's the jump after the loop. It's like driving off a cliff. :lol:

I'll deliver your next weekly challenge on Tuesday, but for now I should say that if anyone needs permission, you can start posting your times here.

From now on everyone's pretty much clear to do that whenever they like. Funny I might need to remind everyone, though.

Alright, since it's now Tuesday here it's time to issue your next challenge.

The 1987 Monaco Grand Prix was a historic moment in F1. On that day, driving a Lotus 99T, Ayrton Senna won at the famous street circuit for the very first time.

Your challenge will be much the same: go to Cote D'Azur Forward and race an A-Spec One-Make run set for five laps. Get the best time you can and win the race-don't count non-first-place finishes even if they might be faster.

You will have until next Tuesday, May 8, to set your time.

Good luck!

I forgot about this completely. Damn it. :( I'll get some quick laps done and post the times.

Edit: I have a time and a speed. I'll post the proof pics later on if that's okay.

Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32) '89 - 1:37.895 / 120MPH

JZ5EO.jpg

do5GY.jpg

Next round is an A-Spec race? That's new. :D

Last edited:
Back