Bugatti Veyron Successor: Chiron

Considering a company's aim is to make money, VW's marketing with the Veyron that results in raising sales and turning a profit is a smart move in my book.

Lets say for a second that this figure of $5,000,000 loss on each Veyron sold is actually true.. with sales of 315 cars (according to wiki) that is a $1,575,000,000 loss on the Veyron, granted that might not be a massive portion of VW's revenue.. but really, does the Veyron inspire Joe Ordinary to go out and buy a Golf 200,000 times? I'm not so sure. I've never been convinced of the value of "Halo" cars... especially ones like this so far removed from anything else.

That's under the assumption that the parts VW has to source stays at a current price range. That and the cost of building them too stayed flat, though I suspect it actually decreased to the point where VW is more willing to take cost hits to keep churning out these cars.

A car does not cost five million to make. Most of that loss is in sunk costs in terms of engineering, research and development, type certification, testing, and tooling. Every new Bugatti Veyron made lowers that loss per car significantly. If they can keep selling them on into the next decade, they will eventually break even. Maybe.

I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Considering a company's aim is to make money, VW's marketing with the Veyron that results in raising sales and turning a profit is a smart move in my book.

Actually, I don't expect them to get much consumer marketing mileage at all out of the Veyron. What I mean when I say "I understand why they're making them" is that my understanding is that VW is showing the competition that they have incredible mountains of money that they can afford to burn because they're just so damn good at making it. :lol:

Plus, expensive top of the line technology circa-2008 probably doesn't cost nearly as much to make circa-2012, so production costs themselves are probably a lot lower too.

Last edited:
Furthermore, the astronomic R&D overheads attributed Bugatti's budget lower R&D overheads related to Audi's etc. You can bet that a fair bit of tech designed for the Veyron filters down to many of VAG's other vehicles.

As for the Super Veyron, its hardly my favorite hypercar, but adding a few extra hundered bhp and more importantly shedding a lot of weight, can only really improve the car.

Maybe between Lamborghini and Audi (Gallardo to R8... that V10 engine they stuffed in the RS6... engine blocks, transmissions, etcetera), but the Veyron is so far out there that there's not much on it that's applicable to VAG's regular production units.

Not sure what French/German Tax laws are like, but off-setting the R & D costs against tax on company profits (which already takes into account losses (obviously)) is tax advantageous in the UK.

Furthermore, the astronomic R&D overheads attributed Bugatti's budget lower R&D overheads related to Audi's etc. You can bet that a fair bit of tech designed for the Veyron filters down to many of VAG's other vehicles.
I'd say that the only thing that the Veyron did in that regard that is applicable to other cars VAG owns is giving DSG development a kick in the pants. As niky said, I'm not sure if everything being developed 11/10ths like it is on the Veyron can transfer over to, say, a Golf.

I'd say that the only thing that the Veyron did in that regard that is applicable to other cars VAG owns is giving DSG development a kick in the pants. As niky said, I'm not sure if everything being developed 11/10ths like it is on the Veyron can transfer over to, say, a Golf.

Another reason why high end supercars should be zero mass strands of ultra light composites. Pour money into developing better mass manufacturing of such materials to make super cars faster and regular cars more fuel efficient (and also faster).

The rumored 3500 lbs for a stripped car would be absurd. So I assume it's still got a loaded interior. That and the fact that it's a Bugatti and a Veyron.

3500 lbs. Of which, 500 lbs for the heat exchangers (radiators, oil coolers, tranny coolers, airconditioning, ego, etcetera) :D

It's a big car with a huge engine and all wheel drive. 3500 lbs would be fantastically light for something like that.

I'd imagine to achieve significant weight saving they'd have to start replacing existing major components with ones made from more exotic, more lightweight materials, as well as just skimping back on interior goodies.

If they weren't just chasing power numbers and the top speed crown they could always ditch the W16 and go for an engine which itself has far higher hp/kg, I mean, how often is a Bugatti's 1000+ horsepower actually being put into the tarmac? Yet it has to carry around that 500kg weight penalty all the time... I would imagine it's only at 200mph+ speeds that it 'needs' 1000+hp... and most of the new cars power upgrade will be used to get an extra few mph out at the top end... an excercise in itself that is mostly.. pointless.

What i'm wondering is where they will strip the weight. They certainly wouldn't drop the AWD, and i know the interior is laid out with rich leathers and other materials but a full 600 pounds just sounds nigh on impossible.

I know they can squeeze more performance out of the engine, but a 3500 pound veyron sounds like some sort of nightmare.

“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
― E.F. Schumacher

1600 HP is ludicrous - Adjective:
So foolish, unreasonable, or out of place as to be amusing.

Never liked the Veyron to begin with and this quote encapsulates why. Just stuff everything and the kitchen sink under the hood and jam in as much HP as possible. The car is unsightly and hideous, verging on embarrassing.

The car will be capable of hitting nearly 290mph and covering 0-62mph in a mind-bending 1.8 seconds. That’s 30mph and seven-tenths up on the current 1,183bhp Veyron Super Sport.

To achieve this incredible performance, Bugatti will hike power to around 1,600bhp and cut 250kg from the kerbweight.

“We are working on the next super-sports car,” chief vehicle engineer Jens Schulenburg told us. “The big challenge will be reducing weight – we are looking at some incredible technologies, such as wheels made entirely from carbon fibre. We’re considering hybrids, too.”

it’s set to debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September 2013.
AutoExpress

veyron-1.jpg

veyron-2_0.jpg

That drawing makes me feel that the Bugatti has too much VW in it. In the back especially.

I don't know why though.

Edit: Actually it reminds me more of the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky.

Last edited:
sumbrownkid
That drawing makes me feel that the Bugatti has too much VW in it. In the back especially.

I don't know why though.

Edit: Actually it reminds me more of the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky.

It looks like a Solstice/Sky in the rear, and a GT by Citroen in the front and side view.

Back