Bugatti Veyron Successor: Chiron

The Veyron SS has been given it's record back, so there's no need for a SuperVeyron now.

The Guardian
The Bugatti Veyron Super Sport, which was stripped of its title as the world's fastest road-legal car, has now been reinstated.

Bugatti was awarded the title in 2010 when test driver Pierre-Henri Raphanel hit 268mph (431kmh) in a Veyron Super Sport.

The car was stripped of its record after the website driving.co.uk queried whether the production version should have a limited top speed.

A spokesman from Guinness World Records said: "Following a thorough review conducted with a number of external experts, Guinness World Records is pleased to announce the confirmation of Bugatti’s record of Fastest production car achieved by the Veyron 16.4 Super Sport.

"The focus of the review was with respect to what may constitute a modification to a car’s standard specification. Having evaluated all the necessary information, Guinness World Records is now satisfied that a change to the speed limiter does not alter the fundamental design of the car or its engine."

The firm sold 30 of the £2.1 million models, but the top speed of the production car was limited to 258mph to protect its tyres.

Rules set out by Guinness World Records insist that, for the title to stand, all cars sold should be mechanically identical to the record breaker.

It's not exactly going to change. They've made up their mind on what's what. It's also to represent Bugatti's history, getting rid of that wouldn't be a Bugatti in my eyes.

The Veyron SS has been given it's record back, so there's no need for a SuperVeyron now.
Can't they make it they want to? And besides, with new competition kicking about that is going to push the boudaries even further of whats possible.

Giygas
Isn't this a fan name for the supposed Veyron successor/ model?

And how is it ugly if we've only seen a render from an outside artist?

I think it looks a lot better, artist render or not. Plus all the reduced weight is huge.

If you have a car that holds world speed record, and the you cite the design as ugly then something is very wrong here, and it isn't the car.

Veyron - fine
SuperVeyron - stupid name, and I think they made it ugly.

It's a brilliant name ,imagine a meeting with 2 rich people

rich person 1:I see you have a Veyron
rich person 2:Yeah do you have one too?

person 1:Yeah but unlike your Veyron *puts on sunglasses* Mine is Super

*runs to car does a burnout and leaves scene quickly*

Isn't this a fan name for the supposed Veyron successor/ model?

And how is it ugly if we've only seen a render from an outside artist?

The name "SuperVeyron" is just a made up name for this rumoured new model. Another name that has been suggested on Autocar is the "Veyron Ultimate", but we don't know what name it will actually have until it's revealed; if it's revealed at all.

There's one thing that they can do to make a faster car. Ditch the luxurious interior, and swap it for 2 bucket seats, a racing wheel, and a role cage. Simple way to lose the weight, which is what they would do if they were being really serious about it all.

cgg
There's one thing that they can do to make a faster car. Ditch the luxurious interior, and swap it for 2 bucket seats, a racing wheel, and a role cage. Simple way to lose the weight, which is what they would do if they were being really serious about it all.

But I feel that's what makes the Veyron special.

Yes maybe, but an all out speed machine, isn't a luxurious place to be. If it was my car, I would prefer to go that fast with less power. Reducing the car weight by 300KG would mean that you could reduce the power quite significantly. Or, you could keep the same amount of power, and have an even faster machine. Either way it's a win win.

Then you missed the point of the Veyron completely. The market is field with cars like that. Only the Veyron managed to accomplish speed, luxury, & reliability, hence why it is considered a technical marvel we may never see again.

cgg
Yes maybe, but an all out speed machine, isn't a luxurious place to be. If it was my car, I would prefer to go that fast with less power. Reducing the car weight by 300KG would mean that you could reduce the power quite significantly. Or, you could keep the same amount of power, and have an even faster machine. Either way it's a win win.

Nope from what I remenber the Veyron as that much power not because it's heavy but because the air become very hard to penetrate after a certain speed.

Nope from what I remenber the Veyron as that much power not because it's heavy but because the air become very hard to penetrate after a certain speed.

Quite true, at 200MPH it's like treacle, or something...

However, less weight, would mean that less power was needed no matter what.

cgg

No, weight and top speed are not related. The Bugatti could be 0 lbs and it wouldn't go any significant amount faster.

cgg

In theory, yes, you would need less power, but probably not much, especially ah 200mph where aerodynamics probably means a lot more than power does.

Besides, the Veyron probably couldn't go much faster anyway, not at the moment. If it went above 270mph it would most likely eat through it's tyres in a matter of minutes (why Bugatti limited production SuperSports to 258mph).

So why do people make cars out of carbon fibre for speed records? Why don't they use steel?

Veyron - fine
SuperVeyron - stupid name, and I think they made it ugly.

Still waaaay better than LaFerrari :ouch:

Personally, I think Bugatti has created enough special versions of the Veyron.

Sure, I'm excited to see the new "Super Veyron", or whatever is called, and it's supernatural performance... but I'd prefer the company to focus more on the Galibier/Royale...

cgg
So why do people make cars out of carbon fibre for speed records? Why don't they use steel?

The lighter it is, the faster it accelerates. Ideally, you would have infinite road to get to top speed. In reality, you have 4, 5, or 6 miles to get to max speed. How fast you get there matters for the record even if it doesn't matter in theory.

Weight also gives friction and rolling resistance?

However, if drag is the all important thing at 250mph+ then, you need to make the car more slippery, which for the Veyron probably means less cooling... to have less cooling you need a smaller engine, or you need your engine doing less work.

My conclusion, Bugatti should come up with a new and innovative method for cooling the engine, rather than the existing solution of radiators. This could allow them to further streamline the body = greater top speed.

Edit: less weight can also mean smaller brakes (less weight again), and/or less brake cooling, which again might mean less drag.

Last edited:
Back