Bugatti Veyron Successor: Chiron

Have a lower revving engine. That way, it would be at the same BHP but not screaming its nuts off. I think at that speed though, something like a low reviving engine wouldn't really help.

So, why not make it a diesel then?

I'm pretty sure that Bugatti's clientele would not appreciate a diesel Veyron.

Really, at this point they would need some kind of super intuitive thinking to get to 281 with the kind of car the Veyron is now. Even moreso now than before, considering they're still using the Veyron idea and not a whole new car and design.

Last edited:
Super veyron shouldnt have more power, but less weight. Getting to 280 much much quicker to compete with the hennessey venom GT. It could be a get hyper car with less weight but it wouldn't be the same without its heated leather seats, digital mp3 surround sound stereo, cockpit surround air bags, full custom stitched interior trim, hand built engine, crafted body work.

If they go a different direction, need to be under a new name. And the Galiber is pushed to 2015+.

Always wondered about a baby Veyron (like the TT is to the R8, or soon to be R4) something like a laFerrari, 918, P1, Veneno Rival, hitting the 500k mark but with the prowess of supercar royalty. Adding KERS and DRS too, to what is being called supercar hybriding.

Last edited:
Again, less weight won't help them go faster. If they want to capture the Venom's acceleration records, that's another story. If they want more speed, they need to either add more power, cut drag, or both.

Again, less weight won't help them go faster. If they want to capture the Venom's acceleration records, that's another story. If they want more speed, they need to either add more power, cut drag, or both.

Yup. Both the Veyron and the GT-R show how little weight matters when it comes to high speed acceleration and top speed. Yes, the Vette is faster than the GT-R at high speed, but that's because the Vette has similarly slippery aerodynamics and a whole lot less frontal area.

Last edited:
Always wondered about a baby Veyron (like the TT is to the R8, or soon to be R4) something like a laFerrari, 918, P1, Veneno Rival, hitting the 500k mark but with the prowess of supercar royalty. Adding KERS and DRS too, to what is being called supercar hybriding.
A car like that is going to be in the market of $1 million, as evident by all 3 of those (I'm not counting the Veneno since it's more of a commemorative model). And that's where the Veyron already sits.

In my opinion Bugatti should focus on front-engined cars again, seems much more suitable for this brand to me and completely forget about ridiculous performance figures.
VW already has Lamborghini as their supercar brand with a predominant focus on mid-engined cars and Bentley as their front-engined focussed high-performance luxury brand.
Right now Bugatti is positioned above both, both in performance and price making the Veyron not just a halo-car but Bugatti a halo-brand.

Who really needs a car with more performance than a Lamborghini and/or is more ostentatious than a Bentley?
Bugatti should have some key characteristics of its own like it originally had before it vanished and find a more unique position within the current exotic brands it didn't have to face then, instead of lazily combining elements of them and simply blowing them out of any proportion.
Perhaps if it didn't vanish it would've eventually started building mid-engined cars too and would've become similar in output as for example Ferrari or more akin to Maserati but that's hypothetical.

This independent concept clearly influenced by the Atlantic looks to me much more like what a Bugatti should be (both in how it looks as the type of car) than a Veyron ever would.
Building highly exotic, relative lightweight high-performance cars which are more chique than bling, something classier than both Ferrari and Lamborghini but without the luxurious GT-appeal of Bentley/Aston/Maserati.
Something distinctly French/Italian in appeal, instead of Germanic, there's so much potential.

2025-Bugatti-Aerolithe-Concept-Outdoor-Profile.jpg

Still think that Bugatti should've made the Chiron.

Bugatti-18-3-Chiron-W181.jpg

Always loved the Chiron. Those swept forward taillights were awesome, and the biggest change to the design that I don't like about the Veyron.

Always loved the Chiron. Those swept forward taillights were awesome, and the biggest change to the design that I don't like about the Veyron.

Agreed, and the name was cooler (in my opinion, since Louis Chiron was a pre-and-post-WWII racer). Although, I've never been a fan of the "horseshoe grille" on their modern cars.

The thing with the grille is its pretty much stays for life, alfa, audi, aston, bmw, ford, chevrolet, citreon, dodge etc etc etc. almost acts like a second badge so say. Yes its not, great but its iconic and historic.

When you don't produce cars for sixty years, and you're just a resurrected nameplate...it's extremely cheesy. And nearly every automaker changes their grilles with the design of another model, they just keep/tweak their logos.

The thing with the grille is its pretty much stays for life, alfa, audi, aston, bmw, ford, chevrolet, citreon, dodge etc etc etc. almost acts like a second badge so say. Yes its not, great but its iconic and historic.

But it's difficult (not impossible though as that concept I posted a page back does it well in my view since the rest of the shape is styled accordingly) to integrate into a modern shape since it's effectively a twenties/thirties grille perfectly suited for the shapes of those Bugatti's.
The classic Mercedes/Rolls/Bentley/etc. grilles always had a 'flat' top section (as opposed to the arch-shape of a Bugatti) which meant that they could be more easily incorporated (and evolved) into modern cars (just a happy coincidence I guess).

With the EB110 they simply avoided it by making it very small and without any chrome finishing, and I think they've made it work quite well on the Veyron and very well on the Galibier (but that has a more upright and blunt front section) but it remains much trickier to get right than all the examples you mentioned.

This '65 Exner study is another solution and which might suggest that if Bugatti hypothetically would've continued, their grille could've become more oblong or squircle-shaped in the process.

4292698863_208400b446_z.jpg

Or if you take this early fifties Type-101 as a starting point and imagine it taking the same sort of evolution as the BMW 'kidneys' (basically becoming more horizontal than vertical).

bugatti-type-101-02.jpg

Last edited:
But it's difficult (not impossible though as that concept I posted a page back does it well in my view since the rest of the shape is styled accordingly) to integrate into a modern shape since it's effectively a twenties/thirties grille perfectly suited for the shapes of those Bugatti's.
The classic Mercedes/Rolls/Bentley/etc. grilles always had a 'flat' top section (as opposed to the arch-shape of a Bugatti) which meant that they could be more easily incorporated (and evolved) into modern cars (just a happy coincidence I guess).

With the EB110 they simply avoided it by making it very small and without any chrome finishing, and I think they've made it work quite well on the Veyron and very well on the Galibier (but that has a more upright and blunt front section) but it remains much trickier to get right than all the examples you mentioned.

Yeh the EB110 had a tiny arch but an arch none the less, cant really think of many if an manufacturers have changed there grill, certain mass manufacturer even keep similar front ends through ever model over many different generations. Vw Golf for one, 7 gens all with similar front ends. Even if veyron dies, the replacement will be similar. Going up market, Lamborghini with its flat low grill and very wide lights. With that grill, its hard to try something new, other than stretching it sideways (jag xkr-s style). But they should go front engine GT style next, big market there but as a new model. Cant drop The mid engine 4WD layout, is the main competitive market with 6 other cars against it.

Yeh the EB110 had a tiny arch but an arch none the less, cant really think of many if an manufacturers have changed there grill, certain mass manufacturer even keep similar front ends through ever model over many different generations. Vw Golf for one, 7 gens all with similar front ends. Even if veyron dies, the replacement will be similar. Going up market, Lamborghini with its flat low grill and very wide lights. With that grill, its hard to try something new, other than stretching it sideways (jag xkr-s style). But they should go front engine GT style next, big market there but as a new model. Cant drop The mid engine 4WD layout, is the main competitive market with 6 other cars against it.

You can't be serious I hope as there are many more brands which have wildly changed their style of grilles over years than there are brands which have retained a basic style and evolved it, and you mustn't confuse the identity of a particular model with the identity of an entire brand, the Golf is widely recognized as being very conservative in the way it's styled over generations (apart from the original MK1 which was a revolution as it was aimed to follow up the Beetle which didn't even have a grille), if you take any other car in the same class you'll find they're often wildy different over several generations.

And you seriously need to look into all the models Lamborghini built before, say, 1990, as you'll find there wasn't any common design language nor a specific Lamborghini front end (and there still isn't really yet like most brands today they have a shared current design language which ofcourse can easily be interchanged with a new language).
It wasn't until the Miura that all Lambo's were front-engined and even afterwards some very iconic Lambo's like the Espada were, 4WD wasn't even added until the late nineties if you discount the LM002.

But all this has nothing to do with the Bugatti arch which is iconic yes, but only because it became so on models where that grille flowed seemlessly into the narrow bonnets of those cars.
They've already altered the arch on the Veyron, they've tapered it (made the vertical part at the top wider than it is at the bottom) as otherwise it just wouldn't work stylistically on a modern shape.
This isn't a case of carrying on a world famous brand identity like BMW kidneys but trying to revive a brand which became dormant in an entirely different age without knowing how it would've evolved if it hadn't.

Plans for the so-called SuperVeyron are still on the table.

Autocar
Reports that a final, ultra-extreme version of the Bugatti Veyron will be launched early next year have gathered pace, with an insider admitting to Autocar that the company is eager to produce a version of the car that is “a fantasy in terms of its performance”.

Our source said: “We are looking at several options. The reality is that we are not under time pressure because we are confident of selling out the full Veyron production run regardless.

“Only after that can we see if there is time and appetite for such a programme. It would be expensive and time-consuming, so we must be sure it is worth it.”

Likely modifications over the Veyron Super Sport on which it would be based include dramatic weight-saving technologies, focusing on more extensive use of carbonfibre to cut about 200kg from the Super Sport’s 1888kg kerb weight, and a dramatic increase in power from the Super Sport’s standard 1184bhp.

It has been claimed that the potential power output from the quad-turbo W16 engine is more than 1500bhp, which would be achieved by increasing its capacity. The possibility of combining it with an electric boost system has been played down, though.

The top speed is likely to be dictated by the limits of tyre technology, but with the Super Sport coupé having already achieved a street-legal record of 267.82mph, it is likely that the most extreme version of the car would need to be capable of achieving at least 280mph to satisfy the demands of potential customers willing to pay the mooted £5 million price.

Welp, time to become a multimillionaire within the next few years.

Though I would rather see the 16C Galibier come to production.

The new SuperVeyron is said to only have 1500bhp the top speed they claim of about 280mph and it is said recently that it could retail for...

... ABOUT $8,000,000

WOW!

The new SuperVeyron is said to only have 1500bhp the top speed they claim of about 280mph and it is said recently that it could retail for...

... ABOUT $8,000,000

WOW!
Not gonna happen.

The original Veyron retailed at $1.4 million, $1.8 million if you wanted it quick (iirc that $400K jump-the-line price right). The Grand Sport came in at $2.2 million. The GS Vitese which is a GS with the SS engine comes in around $2.25 million. The Super Sport, I believe rounds out around $2.5 million.

Not even the numerous & wild variations of the "limited edition" Bugattis have fetched about $3 million a piece. Thus, there's not really a chance in hell the price is going to sky rocket $5 million+ for a car with 300+ extra horses & an extra 18mph quicker top speed. Even with all the billionaires & millionaires out there, the cost of what they're getting is a tough sell at dumping an extra $5 million over a SS.

I fully expect the SuperVeyron to retail around $3.5-$4 million at max. I can't see Bugatti being able to market the car anywhere above that for the "minimal" increase in performance (even if that increase is a technological feat in itself & does justify the costs to those who understand it). Even Aston's, Pagani's, Ferrari's, Porsche's, & McLaren's current efforts have not commanded a $2.5+ million tag. Bugatti is in a league of its own there & they know they are already at the ceiling in the market even with losing money on each car.

Only Lamborghini's Veneno & Koenigsegg's CCXR Triveta seemed to have been able to sell at $4+ million a piece & there are only 3 examples of each built with the costs coming from the materials used or purpose of the car.

$8,000,000 for a car is a classic & people with a check book big enough to just dump that on 1 car are going to be at auctions, not Bugatti.

And it's all nothing but guesses.

The price of shedding 110lbs., 200+ extra horses, a 16mph higher top speed & an equal 0-60 (along with the aero & some other new features) comes out to an extra $1.3 million (doing some further research shows the SS' prices mostly ended up around $2.7 million).

So now, the price of shedding 550lbs., 400 extra horses, 18mph higher top speed, a 0-60 that somehow drops to 1.8 & the same formula of changing up the aero and new carbon fiber bits & suddenly, Bugatti expects people to pay an extra $5 million for this?

Can't see it happening unless the production of this car is severely limited to 10 & under, and Bugatti uses this last car as way to make some of the money they lost on the previous 360 or so cars. Beyond that, I just don't think at the top of the supercar market food chain that even the "mighty" Veyron can command such a high figure, even in it's last model.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back