Buick Gnx Screen Shot

  • Thread starter Thread starter gn4life
  • 68 comments
  • 4,475 views
Messages
9
Can sombody post a screen shot of the 1987 gnx,
I checked all the screen shots and searched the forum as much as I could
PS: Please Don't persecute me if this question as been asked before
 
buick-grandnational-gnx-1987a.jpg
 
You know you could have put a ? in the subject. I thought you had a pic of it, seriously. You should have went to the auto boards for this but welcome to gtp.
 
Woah.. THAT'S the Buick that's in the game? Goes to show you how much I know about cars.. lol. I've GOT to get me one of those.. hehe.
 
i think he was asking if there has been a screenshot FROM gt4 OF the gnx, not just a pic of A gnx.

i dont think there has been a screenshot released that shows the gnx in game yet.
 
:) Would be a very nice car to win, most likely will be a prize car only :)
 
0-60 in 4.7 seconds when tested by Car and Driver in 1987.
 
cobragt
You know you could have put a ? in the subject. I thought you had a pic of it, seriously.

yah, what he said!!! grrrrr!!! I was all hyped to see it in-game...
 
0-60 in 4.7 seconds when tested by Car and Driver in 1987.

Yep, it was the fastest US production car that year. After GM realized it smoked their baby, the Covette, the car got yanked from its performance standard. So, it really makes the car that much meaner. Great car w/out a doubt.

FYI, that was the second time Buick has had the fastest US production car. And by fastest, i mean 1/4 mile times. You know how we do.
James-
 
sorry guys I was in a hurry and left out the ??? and I guess I posted in the wrong place too. Most forums would go irrate for these infractions. Thanks for beain with me. Thanks for the pic too, but I already know what one looks like I have a modded 1986 Grand National (hints the name gn4life). In the turbo regal forums they were saying the gnx was a definate go for the game. But in order for me to pre order a $60 video game I need to see the screen shot proof first. The false rumor about turbo regals was how I got suckered into buying the first 3 GTs :)
 
What? those things looked great, I love em. Always compaired to Darth Vader
 
S4A
0-60 in 4.7 seconds when tested by Car and Driver in 1987.
Yes, but that was a prototype, and not a regular production GNX. The production GNX had 0-60 times, on average, around 5.1 to 5.3 seconds, which is still pretty decent.

I too don't like how this thread was started, one bit.
 
American muscle is suppost to be mean lookin' though.

Yea, as long is it hauls ass, its hot in my book.

One of the coolest things about the GNX is that w/ very little tuning, you can easily turn the car into a 12-11 sec 1/4 mile car. Then if you decide to upgrade the turbo and fuel system, you got a real machine on your hands. Such beautiful cars. Im at least happy i am able to say i've gotten to see a few. I have a feeling in the future, they are goin to get pretty rare.
James-
 
Solid Lifters
Yes, but that was a prototype, and not a regular production GNX. The production GNX had 0-60 times, on average, around 5.1 to 5.3 seconds, which is still pretty decent.

I too don't like how this thread was started, one bit.



there are actually several articles that show that production gnxs are capable of 4.7 0-60 and sub 13.4 1/4 passes, I'll see if i can dig em out of my archives. but then again no two cars run exactly the same, especially turbo cars!
 
Well, they are already a rare car, since just over 500 were made. Plus, more than a couple have been destroyed in accidents at the hands of idiots who thought they were race car drivesr because they owned a fast car.

Plus, the looks of this car are awesome. You have to remember, this was an American car during the mid '80s. There were not a lot of good looking, fast driving cars available. This was a time when the Corvettes, Camaros and Mustangs all had terrible horsepower levels, compared to the cars of today. Horsepower levels were low and acceleration was slow because people wanted more fuel economical cars.
 
gn4life
there are actually several articles that show that production gnxs are capable of 4.7 0-60 and sub 13.4 1/4 passes, I'll see if i can dig em out of my archives. but then again no two cars run exactly the same, especially turbo cars!
Perhaps you should read this, it's from www.buickgnx.com .



The goal for GNX performance was a 1 second reduction in 0-60 mph time through power and traction enhancements. The accepted times for production models was 0-60 in 5.3 seconds and quarter mile in 13.3 @ 104mph.

Sometimes the prototypes performed better (see Confessions below). For example, the Car & Driver* article quoted a 4.7 second 0-60 time. It's unclear whether the prototypes had ported heads, enhanced PROM calibration, racing fuel, or any combination of these tricks. One thing is sure, ambient temperature plays a big factor with intercooled turbo cars. You can usually tell which articles featured a prototype or production GNX from the turbo shield. The production turbo shield says "GNX", while the prototypes simply said "Buick Turbo".

Top speed was governed by the chip at 124mph, but the motor was rumored to be capable of over 150mph. That might be an unrealistic proposition since the Regal body is pretty blunt and the front end tends to feel light at high speed. Not to mention the stock tires are only V-rated. Regardless, cruising at 80mph on a smooth road is effortless in these cars.
 
The best article on a gnx is the one where I think popular science paired it against one of the first callaway twin turbo vets. The stock gnx spanked it from 0-60 and in the 1/4. I will fail to mention whick one won the top speed battle. I have the video of the real shoot out, its great.
 
So...... is the car going to be in GT4?
 
thanks for link but Ive known that site since it was on the web. There is nothing out there about turbo buicks that I don't own or haven't read. I have had several turbo buicks and know them backwards and forwards. And I know for a fact what these things are capable of. The stock gnx is very capable of the times I have mentioned, I have even witnessed them happen. I hate to be a prick about it, but I'm tired of these cars always getting sold short
 
I really have no idea what the problem is. I love this car, too. I was 17 years old, and a big American car fan when the car came out. I know a lot about this car, too.

I'm responding to your incorrect claim that the GNX had a 4.7 second 0-60 time. It was proven to be incorrect, yet possible of a tuned GNX, which was the case of the GNX that Car and Driver, among other magazines, tested for their magazine articles. I also provided proof that you were incorrect about the real acceleration time of the GNX, and supported what I said to be as true, and factual.

I am not selling the GNX short, it was a great car. I wish I had the $45,000 to purchase the car back in 1987. I wish I had the $90,000 that some of these cars are now going for, to purchase the car today. True, I could probably scrounge up enough money to buy one, but I would have to sell a lot of great things I have now, but to be honest, unless I become "stupid" rich, I will never buy one. If I had the $90,000 to spend on a car, it would most definetly be something else. Because, like in 1987, these cars are way over priced for what they have to offer.

They are not the best handling cars in the world, plus the same year Corvette could demolish this car in a race on a test track or closed race course. The Corvette can even out accelerate the GNX if the 1/4 miles was streatched out to a half mile, and do it by a considerable margin.
 
i have ride in one of these cars, production car number #007 and they are fast as hell. total production of the gnx was about 347 cars (not sure about the 47 part). they sound great and handling is way better than any other musclecar. the turbo works at about 15psi, but have a really big turbo lag, but once the turbo kicks in, it feels awesome. you can get a very descent example for about $30000 dollars. except for the bucket seats, stering wheel and diferent gauges the interior is like any other buick regal. one strange thing about the engine is that the main radiator fan is a big electric unit and the intercooler have a belt driven small fan.
 
what about the handling of the GNX around a race track? isit any good, or isit better suited as a dragster (when taken up to insane power levels)
 
It probably handles like a bike on ice. But that is generally my stereotypical view of American cars. I'll leave the people who know to give you the real answer.

Dappa? You ain't from Wales are you?
 
Euro always complain about the handling of American cars. Theres a reason why American cars are the way they are and why Europian cars are the way they are. American roads are big long and strait. If the American car was small lightweight with small light engines like a Euro, you would not have an ideal situation. Cars are creatures of their environment, anyone whose studied Darwin will recogize this. Euro roads are small tight and curvy ergo euro cars are small and light and nimble. Also US cars are way cheaper for their size than Euro cars. Not saying witch is better, they are both suited to what they do. b
 
Back