Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Legendary
  • 10,323 comments
  • 486,470 views
40 penetration kills with FMJ equipped, just like every other primary weapon :p

The thing that annoys me about the UMP (and most guns in general) are its iron sights. There are very few weapons whose iron sights I like and do well with "naked" (ie no optics) - and they're all assault rifles (funny that): SCAR, FAMAS, M4 and to an extent the TAR - which is why you nearly always see me running around with a red dot on my gun, instead of something else like a silencer or FMJ.

Speaking of... I want to like the FAL. I really want to like it. But its iron sights are horrendous. When I first tried it (pre-prestige), I used it in a couple of games, and couldn't hit anything with the iron sights it has on it... :indiff:



I can't believe you don't like the sights on the UMP but you like the ones on the SCAR, they are very similar. I love the sights on the UMP but I do agree with you on the FAL's sights, they are horrendous. I just had to suffer through those and get killed a bit since the sights actually block your view:ouch: Now I have the holo and its great. I use the holo with a silencer, makes a wonderful HC gun.
 
The UMP sights aren't as open for viewing as the SCAR although the basic design is similar, the UMP actual gun takes up alot of the screen and it's not so clear viewing outside of the sights themselves. For someone like myself that would be a problem if it wasn't such a close range weapon as I pick up alot of things that aren't directly in my sights when I'm looking down them. The SCAR on the other hand has a large raise sight which means you can see plenty around when looking down the sights which helps for quicker target recognition, thus engagement, at more mid-long range. I find the UMP fine because of the way I use it, for quick close encounters so I won't ADS until I'm already pretty close whereas with an assault rifle I will look down the sights when I'm not neccessarily shooting to get a better view from the slight zoom, keeping the weapon still briefly to allow myself to pick up anything from a head to a movement.
 
This game is reaching cookie cutter excessiveness. SMG + Marathon + Lightweight + Commando and 75% of the time they just keep running at you to knife you instead of shooting. They don't get great KDs but they always seem to get you at least once and screw up a kill streak. It is really making me prefer maps like Derail and Wasteland because it forces these guys that just run every where to possibly think about cover.

I have been running Marathon Pro, Lightweight Pro, and Ninja Pro on my sprint class. I have not named the class; but if I did, it would be Sprint Monkey. Only recently did I put Commando back into the class and that is only to finish off the Commando challenge (I am less than ten kills away from finishing the challenge). Once that is finished, the perk will be switched back to Ninja Pro, as I do not really knife people a whole lot. I also prefer staying off Heartbeat Sensors and having no footstep noise. Furthermore with Ninja Pro, I am able to use my sidearm much more often.

Wasteland is one of my favorite maps to use the class on. I just sprint around the map flanking the opposite team and picking them off as they run to the deathtrap bunker. I also like the class on Derail because it allows me to quickly get behind the opposing team . In both maps, I take the long, much less traveled routes to get to flank the enemy positions.

I think I am seeing where GT was getting on about the UMP though. It makes the other SMGs nearly obsolete in its accuracy and power, since it can compete with the SCAR in both regards, just with a larger clip. Compare it to the Vector or MP5 and it just dominates. Part of this bitterness is likely stimming from in the last few games I've played the only thing I've been getting killed by is OMA Danger Close M203s and people running around with UMPs.

The other SMGs are obsolete in comparison to the UMP45. The UMP45 is more "accurate" in close range because of the larger damage output. The only counter for the other SMGs is their higher rate of fire.

As for MW2, why can't the Vector be better? It has so much more style than the other SMGs but they made it require a billion bullets to kill someone. So at closer ranges, I just get people teleporting into me when I use it :(

I need to give the Vector a run in my Marathon/Lightweight class just to start leveling another SMG for the experience points.

The thing that annoys me about the UMP (and most guns in general) are its iron sights. There are very few weapons whose iron sights I like and do well with "naked" (ie no optics) - and they're all assault rifles (funny that): SCAR, FAMAS, M4 and to an extent the TAR - which is why you nearly always see me running around with a red dot on my gun, instead of something else like a silencer or FMJ.

I did not like the iron sights on the UMP45 at first; the iron sights just seemed too small. After switching back to the Silencer on the weapon, I have adjusted to the iron sights and find them to pretty good. Though, I still think the sights are still on the smallish side, but not enough so to waste an attachment spot on a red dot sight or holographic sight.
 
I have got some really far off kills with the UMP, some of them I couldn't believe I was able to pull off really. And most if the person would have just moved they wouldn't have died simply because at a good distance the UMP isn't that accurate so you have to just tap, tap, tap again and then they are dead, even less of a burst fire really. Reminds me of picking people off with the Deagle in COD4 in HCTDM from way away. I seen a guy the other night running around with thermal on his SMG, yeah that's a great setup.....
 
so you have to just tap, tap, tap again and then they are dead, even less of a burst fire really. Reminds me of...

And that reminds me of Happy Gilmour :D
"Just taaaap it in. Taaap it in. Tap, tap taperoo." :lol:
Quality film!
 
Back in the day, you could just make your own maps. And some people made good ones for free, and the community rejoiced!

Servers I'd play on would have over 100 maps, and you could go a couple of days without playing the same ones.

For CoD4 they actually had a community map building competition, the results of which they promised would be included in a DLC release. Then without explanation, well at least any that I saw, then very quietly killed the idea :odd:. Still no where near the scale you're describing but at least it was a little something for the fans.
 
The UMP sights aren't as open for viewing as the SCAR although the basic design is similar, the UMP actual gun takes up alot of the screen and it's not so clear viewing outside of the sights themselves. [snip] The SCAR on the other hand has a large raise sight which means you can see plenty around when looking down the sights which helps for quicker target recognition, thus engagement, at more mid-long range.
This ^

Don't get me wrong, I think the UMP is a damn fine gun, but I hate the sights. The way you end up seeing literally three quarters of the entire gun when ADS makes the effective field of view a lot smaller which, for me, is fail. With the SCAR the entire iron sight is raised a significant distance above the body of the gun, unlike the UMP, and this helps the FOV.
 
I cannot believe I've been such a fool so far with this game. Constantly trying different setups to get a good KD when I should of just stuck with my favourites from COD4.

M4A1 w/Red Dot
Scavenger Pro
Stopping Power Pro
Steady Aim Pro

With that alone I've managed to up my KD by 0.03 today, which isn't bad considering I'm over 20000 Kills, now 1.70 overall. Had more than one Harrier nearly every Ground War I played.
 
How important do you guys think a proper headset is to playing this game? I almost never wear my logitech mic anymore because its garbage. The idea of having a mic for both chat and gaming seems interesting to me and I've been looking at the PX21. Thoughts?
 
I have the turtle beach X1's which have a mic to use if you want, although I don't use the mic. I got them to be able to hear everything going on around me. I don't know what types turtle beach makes for PS3 but I have the cheapest ones and they are great, I wouldn't recommend wireless ones though just because of interference issues, you want the cleanest signal possible.
 
Turtle Beach only has Stereo headphones for the PS3, nothing as fancy as what they have for XBOX.
 
Is there another high end option for the PS3 without breaking the bank?
 
I don't think using a Headset would make the way I play or score any different. Experience beats any possible technological advantage they could give, get to know the maps and how everyone moves around, pay attention to the little things like where your team-mates are spawning and when your team-mates start to drop around you.

But that's just the way I go about things, I'm sure others listen a lot more than me, but it's doesn't necessarily give them any advantage over me as I pay more attention to other aspects.
 
I already do all that.

You can always do it better.

I "did all that" when I started playing COD4 but over time I got a lot better at it, now I never think for a second about any of that, it just happens. But it could always happen better.
 
I think the real key between good player and great player is being able to think like the enemy. As cheesey as it sounds, I can accurately and quickly guess where the guy I just killed is going to go to try and kill me as they more often then not will. Then you need to try to gauge where the entire enemy team will go, where your team is which means the enemy will try X direction. This needs map knowledge and spawn knowledge as aforementioned, as well as estimated how clever the enemy is by whats happened previously. Processing all the information at once is a tall task with CODs furious pace and the simple fact is alot of players with brilliant aims can't get into the others players heads whilst trying to sort themselves out. Remember the killcam isn't just a give away of campers, it's a tool for trickery. I often run a short while the way I'm not going after I kill then turn back and wait for them to attempt a flank, boom easy kill but you have to be aware of other possible dangers.
 
That last bit you've said I've done a bit of myself. Very clever indeed.
 
That last bit you've said I've done a bit of myself. Very clever indeed.

It's difficult to remember in the heat of battle, but thats the kind of thing I'm thinking about when I play. Well, when I used to enjoy the game anyway. I concentrate more on reading the battle then aiming which is why I recommend single player first on all games if possible, to get a feel for the physics.
 
yeah I completed the game before I jumped into the MP.

I haven't actually played the game in a couple days. I get super pissed off with the lack of team play in team death match. Just the other day one of my team mates ran right behind this guy while he waited for me to spawn from my tac insert. Before that this one idiot ran right in front of the grenade I was cooking right as I threw it causing it to bounce back in my face.

Its like playing free for all but only half the players are shooting at you and the other half are trying to get you killed.
 
i try not to think about it much, just take note of where things happen commonly and take more care in those areas.

im 4 levels away from my first prestige. im looking forward to it as much as dreeding it. i love all my current classes, but, one more class will make things better. i just wish they would give you prestige 5-10 levels later instead of "heres the ak47, time to start over"
 
The AK47 isn't that special. I sat on level 70 for a few hours and played around with it. I went 20-0 on terminal with it but that was mostly thanks to my air support. Its just ok IMO. I'd stick to my M4 or maybe the scar if you really have a thing for 7.62.
 
well, its more so that "hey, heres a weapon. would you like to use it and waste xp or start all over again?" than the weapon itself.

i love my m4. im forcing myself to get comfortable with iron sights. ive an AA class which ive fallen in love with. m4 + silencer and stringer with scavenger pro, cold blooded, and ninja pro. my other favorite class is famas + holographic sight and heartbeat sensor with spas 12 with grip and red dot sight with bling, stopping power, and scrambler (more for the xp than anything else). having almost infinite stringer missiles makes me a major pita in their air power, but, i miss the close loving only a shotgun can give out.
 
I used almost the same AA class but with an ACR and holo-sight. My favorite class is probably my silenced M4 with bling/holo-sight. I used the Famas a ton before I prestiged but I haven't used it much at all after.
 
im probably going wh0re out the grenade class once i prestige just because it uses the famas.
 
Turtle Beach only has Stereo headphones for the PS3, nothing as fancy as what they have for XBOX.

That is just a fail on Turtle Beaches part, I don't get why they don't make a 5.1 and or a 7.1 for PS3 like they do for 360.

I don't think using a Headset would make the way I play or score any different. Experience beats any possible technological advantage they could give, get to know the maps and how everyone moves around, pay attention to the little things like where your team-mates are spawning and when your team-mates start to drop around you.

But that's just the way I go about things, I'm sure others listen a lot more than me, but it's doesn't necessarily give them any advantage over me as I pay more attention to other aspects.

I didn't either until I got mine, it makes a huge difference no matter what play style you have. Its one of those things like kids, until you have them nobody can explain it to you really. This is one example. I was on quarry and I was in the building with the cat walk up top that you can climb onto from outside the building or from the inside and I was using the snippy rifle. As I am in scope tracking someone I hear someone walking around the outside of the building, I hear them a good 15 seconds walking up and around the building so I am well prepared and ready for him and he had no idea. Or I can be rushing and hear someone just the same and stop and drop back around the corner and then slice them as they come around because they didn't know I was there but I knew they were. I can pinpoint where people are inside the house on estate if I am inside the house by the footsteps because its 5.1 also. They are for sure a great asset to have, they aren't needed but once you have them it makes the game seem like you have uav all the time, just in sound form.
 
What breakpoint said on having 5.1. With my system, I can usually place where people are based entirely on sound, though having noisy team mates hurts a bit. If Free For All, 5.1 makes worlds of difference, as you know every foot step is an enemy.
 
First map pack to be called 'stimulus package'

There’s nothing better for renewing the enthusiasm for a shooter game than a map pack! Well, it looks like the leaked Modern Warfare 2 DLC video that surfaced last week may well have been legit! In a press release sent out by Activision today comes confirmation that the first Modern Warfare 2 Map Pack, which hits Xbox Live on March 30, will be called the Stimulus Package.

Begin the countdown to a new infusion of Call of Duty! The Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® 2 Stimulus Package will strike worldwide on March 30. Representing the first new multiplayer maps from the biggest entertainment launch in history, Infinity Ward’s Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Package will release first on Xbox LIVE®.

Additionally, Silver Xbox LIVE members who have not yet experienced the exciting adrenaline rush of “Modern Warfare 2” will be able to try it with a Multiplayer Unlock event running from March 12 to March 15.

This news goes a long way in confirming that the Modern Warfare 2 Stimulus Package video that was leaked last week is indeed real. The video shows pictures and a short video of two old maps from Call of Duty 4, Crash and Overgrown, and three new maps, Complex, Compact and Storm. Catch the leaked video after the break.



Theres the video.

EDIT: This is kind of good news but I doubt I will have the game when it comes out, yay for mw2 being a game fund raiser.
 
I'm not that excited about paying for old maps from a game I didn't play that much. Hopefully the new maps are large and exciting. I can think of a few COD4 maps I'd have put in over crash though... Downpour or wetwork for example.
 
Had a epic start to a TDM on Highrise earlier. Quick-Scoped that diagonal line right when you start, triple kill with one bullet.
 
Last edited:
i never played CoD4 online so its just good for me :p
 
Back