Calling all track designers, show off your work!

• Thread starter glassjaw
  • 1,273 comments
Maybe you can give me the parameters you used, I'd love to drive this in GT5! Haha.

Send him a PSN Friend Request; the game will not recreate the same track, given the same parameters. It shouldn't be called "Course creator." Even in game, the word "generate" is used much more often. It generates randomly spewn rubbish, and really only does a good job of rally courses.

Some really great tracks in the offing here folks.

I see a lot of airport tracks - I assume they are at existing/open airports? Having stumbled on this link about the Ciudad Real airport in Spain which has been abandoned since April 2012, surely there is a racetrack to be had in it's confines? 💡

I'm doing some investigating on Google Maps and I'll see what I can come up with. I also had the idea of an airport racetrack with two runways running perpendicular and a custom-built banked turn at one end connecting the two, like superspeedway-high banked like the old Brooklands. Maybe using a combination of custom built parts and existing infrastructure we could create a true racing monster here? And the FIA can stay well clear of it - in fact, I want Herman Tilke to hate it. Because that'll mean I like it :)

Anyone know of any other good ghost towns/airports that would work for racetracks? Hell, maybe an abandoned railway station?! (imagines...thought bubble emerges) 💡

Airports, in plain words, are entirely simple. The ground's flat, clearly visible, and expansive. However, I recommend the biggest, busiest airports; they're also the most expansive. And space will go quickly if you make a track about 3 or 4 miles long.

red_rock_valley_raceway_by_jetsetsonic-d5mw300.png

Feels good to be back!

The Dutch will have you in court by the end of the week; that's what happens when you almost exactly copy "Zandvoort." :lol: The resemblance is just uncanny.

The Dutch will have you in court by the end of the week; that's what happens when you almost exactly copy "Zandvoort." :lol: The resemblance is just uncanny.

I see so little Zandvoort (both the current and original tracks) in that, that I think any resemblance is a coincedince.

Haha, I do like Zandvoort very much so I take it as a compliment that you see a resemblance. I often mimic circuits I like in my own designs, without even knowing it. Making something original can be tricky sometimes :dunce:

In this case though, I don't really see it. The last several corners are kind of similar, especially the final one with its decreasing radius. Aside from that, Zandvoort is a completely different track to me. It's much twister and slower than this one.

In this case though, I don't really see it. The last several corners are kind of similar, especially the final one with its decreasing radius. Aside from that, Zandvoort is a completely different track to me. It's much twister and slower than this one.

Yeah. I think Zandvoort, Mid-Ohio and VIR are my favourite "normal" tracks. Normal excludes Nürburgring. :lol: So, indeed, it is a compliment. I just see a lot of chicanes, and a general "Sombrero" shape. (albeit quite wobbly/distorted)

Can't see why it wouldn't be. It's your track design MrMelancholy15!

I read OP, no comment. This weekend, I'll delve into it, and hope to find some way to do elevation change in my Bob's Track Builder Evo.

After that, I'll post WIP videos here and there, and say in advance, excuse the flipping fun driving.

The last two layouts are the best, the second one is ok, and the first one is too straight for my liking.

The new layout for Abu Dhabi appears to present overtaking opportunities at every corner.:lol:

Prisonermonkeys, you know that you do eventually need corners, right? I like the ideas you have for corners, in the seldom occurrence that they're actually there...

As for my Abu Dhabi layout, it is the only reason why I refuse to buy Formula 1 games, or watch Formula 1. It's also a huge hole in the V8 Supercars track roster which should include a twistier version of prisonermonkeys's tracks, and Canadian tracks.

As for the progress on the tracks of my own creation (using GTR2/Bob's Track Builder,) I've got a basic idea, but I haven't added any real elevation change yet. Turns out, elevation change is a fine detail, since the elevation change I've seen so far was something like 300 feet in one corner... :scared:

I suck at GTR2.

Last edited:
Edit: Scratch those circuits, they're all flooded.

Darn, I hate it when that happens. :lol:

Seriously, hope everything works okay. Canada almost flooded out like that, too. Now, though, it's about to snow for five days... All of the melted snow will become ice. Again. That's the third time, this year, all of the snow has melted and left us with bad ice.

Did it occur to you to watch and/or play and just skip that one race?

Although you did miss out on a great race last year.

It's a bit of an old post. But, anyways...

The first four corners are okay... But, the long straights, and then the "here, here's my ruler. Use it. Make the track as straight and square as a Cadillac Eldorado" section lacks so much! There's not a single corner that isn't a 90 degree corner. It's a boring track, with too much repetition. And, on top of that, the last corner looks like it was thrown together. Given their budget... I would have fixed that.

P.S., an image, to make you think of how straight/square the Cadillac Eldorado is...

1997_cadillac_eldorado_base_coupe-pic-5583652384077276561.jpeg

Back